Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

seagull edge 540 motor mount

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

seagull edge 540 motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
blending
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seagull edge 540 motor mount

just made my first flight with the new seagull edge 540. flew real well. brought it down to richen engine a little and noticed
what appeared to be a loose firewall. stopped engine and found it to be a flexible motor mount. it would flex a quarter inch up and down.
the mount is made of what looks like a white nylon and has a hole all all the way through the mounting rails.
has anyone had any problems with seagulls motor mounts?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: seagull edge 540 motor mount

I have their Extra 300 and using the same mount, no problems yet. On the SU 31 I changed to a GP mount. I prefer the one piece mount. You might double check the mounting bolts incase they are not tight.
David
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Planeclothes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what appeared to be a loose firewall. stopped engine and found it to be a flexible motor mount. it would flex a quarter inch up and down.
Are you sure the motor mount is flexing? Is this something you notice with the cowling on or off? The reason I ask is because if you push your engine's shaft up or down with the cowling on it may make it look like the firewall or engine mount are loose when in fact it is the cowling itself that moves as you put pressure on it with your other hand.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
blending

it is deffenently the motor mount. i can flex it in my hand and see a curve . the mounting bolts are not loose. i have been in rc for about 30 years and have just started with the arf's. the mount has a hole running lenght ways through both halves of the mount.
i noticed this when i drilled it and wonder why it would not be solid like all other mounts i have had. i am running an os 91 fx.
this mount has been made light because this edge 540 comes out nose heavy from what i hear. it looks just like the firewall has came loose. replacing the mount with a newer one. would like to know if anyone else has had a problem.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
rprice19

Blending,
I just started building mine tonight and have not drilled/installed my motor mount yet, but mine appears to be solid!
Did yours balance with the OS 91 fx on the nose and 3 standard size servos in the tail?
I was hoping that it would be a little nose heavy, therefore I could lightnen the load by using a lipo receiver pack and fiberglass/carbon fiber landing gear with ultra light wheels.
Any balance information you can provide would be helpful.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
blending

reprice19: the seagull edge 540 balance came out almost perfect with the os 91fx. i have a 1400 mah battery pack up behind the firewall as the book shows and have standard servos in the tail and wing with the rudder being a futaba 3010. did not use the carbon fiber pushrods. first time seeing them and i could not just trust them with super glue yet till i learn a little more about them. did change the tail wheel to a sullivan type. also i had a little engine overheating problem at first. i did not cut the cowl at the bottom back where it
shows a half moon shape across the muffler. also installed a great planes fueling valve and did not use the extra tube from the fuel tank. blocked it off. also you need to cut the cowl so you can get your finger on the muffler pressure line fitting when cutting out for the muffler. makes it easier to get it on and off. i also blocked the right side of the cowl opening with a piece of thin plywood so all the air would go over the engine head. run the engine a little on the rich side. i have not had any more overheating problems. you will need a starter to start the engine the first time.
running an apc 15x4 prop. it really pulls the plane around. flies real well. have not tried much 3d yet. i had this engine on a sig mayhem
which was not quite enough for me. i put a new os 120 ax on the mayhem and now it goes vertical from a hover like it was shot out of a cannon. the engine mount may be alright but is has a hole down the center of each rail. like i said when i drilled it i saw this hole because the drill dropped through it and that is the way i knew it was there. when i first put the starter on the spinner i noticed it bounced around. the second time it moved all over the place. i stopped and looked at the firewall thinking it was loose but it was fine. i then pulled the prop back and forth in the direction it is mounted. it would probaly move at least quarter inch in either direction. replaced it with a great planes adjustable mount. no more movement. all mounting bolts were tight and loctited. the wheel pants are a little flimsy. could be better. i would try it first with standard landing gear and a nicad battery pack and the lite wheels that came with the kit. i think you will be satisfied with the setup. if do not have an os 91fx yet i would get the os120 ax. towerhobbies has it for about
$40 more than the 91fx and what a difference it makes just have to hold the throtte back. the 91 fx will take it vertical out of sight. this is my son's plane. we were flying the 46 nad 60 size ucandos but mine went in from a complete radio failure. he had the 46 size but after flying the 540 he likes it a lot better. we satisfied with the 540 so far except for the mount and wheel pants.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
rprice19

Thanks for all of the great information. I purchased the OS 91 (23.4 oz with muffler) when I ordered the plane, I thought the OS 120 would be to heavy at about 30 oz with muffler.
I use J-B Weld to assemble the carbon fiber rods, never had a bond failure with it, but have had failure using CA.
Hope to have her in the air on Sunday to give the FuntanaS 40 a rest.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 PM
zsnugz

Great information guys, I am building my Seagull Edge now and look forward to your reports. I am planning on using a Saito 100 in mine. Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:56 PM
P-40LUVR

I have the 540 too and yes it flexes ..no problem..I had a Magnum .91 FS in mine at first and that was a problem because it would fly tail low..not enough power,I put a Super Tiger G90 in her and flew like a champ!