Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 60 vs. Sig Four Star 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 60 vs. Sig Four Star 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
patzane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 60 vs. Sig Four Star 60

Ok guys, I’m stuck in a dilemma between getting a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 or a Sig Four Star 60. I’m looking to get one of these as my second plane. I currently have the Hanger 9 PTS P-51 mustang which I love. But want a second plane that is capable of doing more aerobatic flying. Which one of these planes the Ultra Stick or the Sig 4* 60 that would give me the most aerobatic capability.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ultra Stick 60 vs. Sig Four Star 60

They are both about equal aerobatically. One is high wing, and the other is low wing. Both are tail draggers. You are flying a tail dragger, low wing right now. So, why not something different? Maybe the stick would be fun. I have the US 60 and it is a blast. Very capable of all aerobatics. Also, it will allow you to practice with flaps for future use. And, the crow function is SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I've never flown a 4* but I've had all the Ultra Sticks. They are fun airplanes. The US60 with a Saito 100 is totally awesome. It will amaze you in what it'll do aerobatically and how easy it is to fly. I think it is a bit hard to see. I put checkerboard stickers on the wing bottom to help. I really like the planes though.

I also hear much good about the 4*. I don't think you could go wrong with either plane. The US60 was my second plane. I'm not a bit sorry. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Ernie Misner

For smooth pattern style flying get the 4*, but for aerobatics and some 3D, get the Ultra Stick. The 4* can be very aerobatic in the right hands though. I am going for the Ultra Stick (US 60) for my ST G90 engine, and I have the US 40 for my Saito 82. I also have the 4* 40 and it is an absolute blast. Keep in mind that the US 60's tend to come out nose heavy unless you move the battery or servos way back in the fuselage. I plan on mounting the rudder servo way back and using a pull pull setup.

What mods did you folks that have the US 60 have to do to get proper balance?

Ernie
Old 02-22-2006, 04:55 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: patzane

Ok guys, I’m stuck in a dilemma between getting a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 or a Sig Four Star 60. I’m looking to get one of these as my second plane. I currently have the Hanger 9 PTS P-51 mustang which I love. But want a second plane that is capable of doing more aerobatic flying. Which one of these planes the Ultra Stick or the Sig 4* 60 that would give me the most aerobatic capability.

Just a word:

If you're looking at the Ultra Stick and want the full functions with the quad flaps, you'll need at least a 7 channel radio. If you're prepared for that then it's worth a look.

The Four Star you can fly with the FX 421 that comes with he P-51 PTS.

BobbyG

Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 AM
DVI

My vote would be for the Hangar Nine Ultra Stick 60. I have both airplanes and I enjoy the Stick much more!
My Radio does not have crow ablities, but I do use wing flaps and you can put that airplane where you want it such as spot landing.
I have a O.S. 61 two stoke engine on it and approx 3oz of weight on the tail. With this set up I have very good vertical, not unlimited, and can fly knife edge as far as you can see. And in my opinion handles high winds much better than the Four Star 60.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
ehfleming
My Feedback: (5)

Two different types of planes with different flight characteristics, but not a lot. Both are fun in their own ways, and both forgiving; the 4* maybe more. If you go with the US, I'd quad the wings. With the JR421, you can put the flaps on the toggle switch. Later you can get all the quad wing functions when you upgrade your radio.

You may consider getting the US for now, then kit building the 4* as your first kit. It's an easy build, and even if you make some mistakes in the building, at the end of the day you still have a good flying plane. Great for sharpening your building/finishing skills.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Lowlevlflyer

I have the Four Star 60, and there are a couple of guys I fly with that have the Sticks, so I've seen both's capabilities at length. I would give the edge aerobatically, although not by much, to the Stick. The Four Star will really come to life with a couple of modifications in the form of adding around 1.5 inches to the length of the rudder, and adding a little to the elevators. It gets even better by reducing the length of the wing by one bay on each side. IF you're gonna kit build a Four Star, this is easy stuff to do. If you get the ARF like I did, it involves building a whole new rudder and elevators, and a bit of recovering on the wings. The Four Star is a bit more forgiving, and seems to land slower from what I've seen, but wont handle the higher winds as well as the Stick will. Having said all this, I am of the opinion that the differences between the two are not enough for me to choose one over the other. Both do a great job as a first sport aerobatic plane, both do aerobatics well, and both have very nice flight characteristics. I think it mostly boils down to personal preference on this one.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
2slow2matter

Another option, is the great planes big stick. It depends upon what you want, but it only requires four channels, as it doesn't have the quad flap option. However, I've owned both the US and the BS, and the BS is much easier to handle in the wind. I now have an US, and just bought the Giant Stick. I think if I had to buy another 60 sized stick, I might just go back to great planes. Plus, the red is much easier to see in the air than the clear of the US is.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Lowlevlflyer

Hey 2slow, when are you gonna get to come up and fly again? I'm going to email you a pic of my Pitts 12... dont know if your brother sent you one or not. Just finished puttin' it back together today.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
arjay3rd

I have the Four Star 40 as my second plane and just built the Ultra Stick 60 at the end of the year. The Four Star 40 is a blast, farely fast with a SuperTigre GS40 and just fun to punch holes in the sky. I built the US60 with the Saito 100 and the quad flaps. It is much different than the 4*40, not nearly as fast, but it is not supposed to be. I am having a great time with the US60. I really enjoy flying slow and then pulling out of whatever with all the power of the Saito 100. It will hover at 1/2 throttle, power is not an issue. They do set up nose heavy. I put the rudder servo in the back of the fuselage with a pull/pull system. I then mounted duel elevator servos in the back, one on each side of the fuselage. I also put in a very big 2800 Mah battery and mounted it at the back of the battery compartment, not in the rear of the plane. With the Saito 100 I was not overly concerned with weight. It's a blast to fly. Low and slow can really be fun.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Ernie Misner

Great report arjay3d, thanks for the info. Since I will be assembling the US 60 also, .... do you think that making all those cutouts for servos in the rear of the fuselage weakens it any back there?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
2slow2matter

You have to beef the area up to accept the servo. The area around the servo should end up being stronger than it was to begin with.
Beef it up with some lite ply, or some hardwood stock.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 PM
arjay3rd

2Slow is correct. I just cut out the balsa for the servos and then I CA'd ply on the inside around the cutout. That gave me something to screw the servos into and probably did make the area stronger. It is supposed to be 45 degrees here is St. Louis tomorrow so it looks good for a February flight.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Bodge

Go for the US60, You don't need crow and a bucketfull of servos: just use two servos in the wing with the single aileron and mix in spoileron and flapperon. You have everything at the flip of a switch, including airbrakes. You can then do everything crow does without the hassle and weight of the extra servos.

Use a 5 cell pack and push it as far back along the fuse as you can. It will then balance ok. My CG comes out at 4 1/4" back with an MVVS 91 (4 1/8 recommended) and is fine.

Does some great harriers with spoilerons turned on.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 AM
patzane

I am leaning more towards the 4* 60. I have a buddy who has one and flew it today and fell in love with it. What would be a nice motor setup for the plane. I like speed but I don't want over kill. I was thinking about a Saito 100.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:43 AM
carrellh

I think every 4*60 I have seen has been powered by a 91 four stroke. I'd think a 100 would be fine. Weight and size is similar to a 91 and the extra power shouldn't be a dramatic difference.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 AM
CP140

I have one of each... a Four-Star 60 (OS61FX) and an Ultrastick 60 (91FX). Both are fun airplanes to fly. I don't think either one would be a "bad" choice. The stick has a quicker roll rate and the flaps are fun to play with... the 4-Star is a more gentle/graceful flyer.

Take your pick.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Lowlevlflyer

Saito 100 will be fine on the Four Star. Only thing is, if you are going to swing anything larger than a 14x6 prop, you are going to have to think about going with taller main gear. I'm using the stock gear with 3.5" Sullivan main wheels, and the 14x6 is absolutely the largest prop that will clear.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:39 AM
patzane

thanks Lowlevlflyer that is very good info to share. How does the plane flys with the 14x6 prop and Saito 100
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the US60 with the Evolution 100 on it as my beater plane, origionally, but it is so much fun that it is just about all I fly. Fully capable of KE, hovering, torquerolling, flat spins, KE with various snaps during them, rolling loops, harrier rolls, etc. Personally, I haven't found it to be very good at basic harriering, as it is lacking in elevator authority, but everything else is a blast!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Ernie Misner

Bodywerks, that is a fun report on your US 60. What mods did you have to do to get balance with that engine?

Also, for all you guys with the US 60's, have you had any trouble with the stock tailwheel, or have you gone to an accessory tailwheel???

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Lowlevlflyer

No problem. I would think the 14x6 on a Saito 100 would be fine. They recommend a 14x8 for that engine, so it should work fine.
ORIGINAL: patzane

thanks Lowlevlflyer that is very good info to share. How does the plane flys with the 14x6 prop and Saito 100
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Bodge

I have an MVVS 91 in my US60 and the balance comes out at 1/8" behind the recommended 41/8" with no ballast.

This is my third US 60 and I've found that, to balance a sensible sized engine you will need a five cell, 6volt battery pack (I use a 2700mAh) pushed as far back along the fuse as you can get from the wing mount access. I wrap the battery pack in that tubular receiver foam, tape it and squeeze clear silicone sealer from a gun on to the inside floor of the fuse where you want the battery to sit - right up against the former.

Since you can't get your fingers in, I connect the switch unit to the batteries and tape it; then I drop the pack down the fuse until it's in position. Then, using a springy steel rule I push it in the fuse over the battery and use it to press the batttery pack onto the silicone adhesive. If you then slide a wooden strip under the rule and let it spring back onto the wing seats the battery will be held in position until the glue dries.

I've found this works well without adding weight, repositioning the servos or cutting the fuslage - with the average 60-90 engine the CG comes out about spot-on.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Ernie Misner

Interesting Mick, thanks! Do you slide the battery pack back onto the bottom or side of the fuse? I'm thinking the left side might offset horizontal engine or muffler weight?

What size cell are those 2700 batteries? I will look for one, maybe at radical rcbatteries.com.

My engine will be a Supertigre G90. It weighs about 21 oz. or so, and I will use a light mac's header and mousse can muffler which will get the CG back a little also. The G90 weighs the same as some 61's, so it should be in the ballpark I hope.

Think Hitec 475 servos are up to a 60 size plane? 50 something on the torque I think for them.

Thanks for the tip,

Ernie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.