Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes.com

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitroplanes.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes.com

ORIGINAL: Tim Taylor

I agree. I've only built one kit since 1983 due to my problems being around glues (mainly CA), almost all the arfs I've built have had some sort of covering problem. This one was just exceptionally bad on the fuselage. It could have been caused by humidity, heat or cold encountered in shipping from wherever it came from. The quality control in parts shipment was one of the worst I'd seen also. It was missing a bunch of screws and had a bunch that didn't fit anything anywhere. I already had an unbuilt World Models Ultimate 40 and the wing jig from that helped a bunch. Other than the shortcomings listed here, It's a fine looking plane and flys well. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another NitroPlane model. A new buyer will have problems if he doesn't know where to find the full instructions.

Tim

------------

I have a forty sized Global Ultimate Bipe ARF that I bought several years ago and never assembled. I wish I could remember the wingspan. Global suggests using a Magnum .91 four-stroke in this bipe because it balances the model just right. I have a Magnum .91 four-stroke and it looks ridiculously large in the nose of this model, but lots of folks have tried it and commented positively. I wonder if this Global model and the WM models are related?

Covering does change sizes regularly, so I wouldn't hold that against them. Missing screws, or the wrong screws, can be a real PITA.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Tim Taylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

Heh, you have both of them too?

Yep. I bought the WM about two weeks before the Nitro for the attic. I keep a stash of planes in the attic, my Retirement planes for when I can't afford to buy any more after I retire at 90. I'm looking at the Nitro AT-6 Texan as my next plane. The one with the 82 inch wing. I use to build those by the dozen as a kid in the old Revel Model years.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Tim Taylor

I have a forty sized Global Ultimate Bipe ARF that I bought several years ago and never assembled. I wish I could remember the wingspan. Global suggests using a Magnum .91 four-stroke in this bipe because it balances the model just right. I have a Magnum .91 four-stroke and it looks ridiculously large in the nose of this model, but lots of folks have tried it and commented positively. I wonder if this Global model and the WM models are related?

Covering does change sizes regularly, so I wouldn't hold that against them. Missing screws, or the wrong screws, can be a real PITA.
It makes me wonder how many little errors such as engine size may be from translations from Chinese and Vietnamese to English.

You should post a picture of that plane here.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:45 PM
sea fury

I'm considering getting thier Bobcat 46. Should be a blast to fly!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:46 PM
sea fury

I'm considering getting thier Bobcat 46. Should be a blast to fly!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:22 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Tim Taylor

Yep. I bought the WM about two weeks before the Nitro for the attic. I keep a stash of planes in the attic, my Retirement planes for when I can't afford to buy any more after I retire at 90. I'm looking at the Nitro AT-6 Texan as my next plane. The one with the 82 inch wing. I use to build those by the dozen as a kid in the old Revel Model years.

Well replacement parts may become an issue this way....

90? Wow you ARE planning for a late retirement.

I don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate?!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Tim Taylor

Yea, I don't figure I'll be able to retire in this lifetime.

Wow, Nitro has really expanded their line. Two planes I'd be interested in are the AT-6 Texan and the PT-20.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:02 AM
stirlo

Any of you guys tried the bigger 120 Ultimate they are selling?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ulbi12055scn.html
Old 08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Tim Taylor

Haven't concidered the larger Ultimate yet but it looks like a good candidate for a Super Tigre 2300. I'm having fun with my Nitro Ultimate 40 again. I installed a new reciever and un-grounded the plane yesterday.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Lee62

[] I have read all the posts and found a lot of ultimate fans but no low wing fans. I bought the staudacher 300D. Admitedly I am new at the hobby, I am going to need something to do when I retire in a couple of years so I joined a club and took lessons and was immediately hooked. Anyway, the Staudacher. I fumbeled my way through the wildly translated book and got the plane together. It seemed to go together pretty well and looked good too. I put a GMS 47 on it and it worked fine till I had my club Sec/Treas put it up for test flight ( remember I am a rookie so I didn't trust myself for the test flight) Well the plane was totally uncontrollable because it was so far out of balance. I had followed the directions and put the plane on a GP CG machine and balanced it to a "T" is a draft free room. It took an unbelievable amount of weight, so I removed it all and did it again, still the same so I figured it was right. I found out different when Bill flew it. Has anybody had any encounters with this aircraft? I just about have it rebuilt and would appreciate any input before I rebalance it and take it out again.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
opjose

As always with cases such as these, move the C.G. forward so it occurs at LESS than 1/3 of the wing chord length at the wing root.

While I don't have this model, looking at the pictures of the plane, it appears that this plane has a positive wing incidence and a relatively short nose.

That would mean that the C.G. must be fairly forward or else the plane will be uncontrollable.

It could be the manual is waaay off. Most Nitroplane manuals ARE!

With the WM and Nitroplanes models I have I just use a sort of "gut feel" for where the C.G. should be, and normally this works well.

What did the plane do in the air?

Did it seem to want to nose up after takeoff? Did you almost have to fight it to bring the nose down until you slowed it down?

You can safely take the C.G. forward a whole inch to 1.5". A nose heavy plane will still be flyable, up to the point that you REALLY have to move the C.G. forward quite a bit.

Then try flying it again. If it is now far more docile, then check it's characteristics.

The plane may be perfect for you this way if you are starting out, later you may want to move the C.G. back a LITTLE at a time to make the plane more responsive.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:39 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one of their P-38s on the way. Price was right, and I plan on making some mods like plug-in outboard wing sections, and retracts. Figure for what I got it for, I can play around with it a little. I'm sure I can have a decent looking aircraft in the sport scale catagory that will be lighter than a more scale plane. We shall see. I figure to have it ready for next season, but that is what I told myself about my Byron P51 8 years ago, and counting.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

I just ordered the Yak 52 from them, $150 shipped, I hope it flys like it looks on the pictures ,
http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak523d5056n.html
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Lee62

The staudacher is back together and ready for recovering and balancing. I don't want to sound stupid, but how do you move the CG? I thought it was extablished upon construction of the airdraft. Do you just select a different balance point for the CG Machine? I really want to get this right so please explain to me. Thanx a lot.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

The CG is such a misnomer. CG is a 3 dimensional point on the aircraft. To be more correct and descriptive, I call it the Balance Point. many many people will tell you to only change the balance pooint in small increments, unless it is way too far forward ( nose heavy ) or aft ( tail heavy ). Avoid tail heavy.
Research where others have found the balance point to be best on your aircraft, and endeavor to use their experience.
If you want to change where the aircraft balances, moving things like the battery pack forward or aft will typically accomplish this, especially on smaller aircraft where the battery's weight is more significant to the weight of the aircraft.
I did this on my nitroplanes tiger moth, and am extremely happy with the results. Of course, a lot of the hardware provided was not suitable, and I am finding the main landing gear is not going to hold up to even soft landings. Can anyone recommend a decent main gear for this plane? Maybe substituting tiger moth gear with piper cub shock absorbing type?
Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:39 AM
uncle

Go to this site if you want to see how to do the C.G. On the MAC Balance point use 30 or 33 per cent. Hope this will help you..
http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm
Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: salmon

I just ordered the Yak 52 from them, $150 shipped, I hope it flys like it looks on the pictures ,
http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak523d5056n.html

Me too!

I bought it because it looks a lot like this [link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=254]50cc Yak 54[/link], only it is smaller. I'm sure it is far from being the quality of the larger Aero-Works one, but it sure looks nice.

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

That yak does look nice. I am looking at their miss america.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:06 AM
da Rock

There is a fairly easy to use CG calculator program available for free on the internet. It takes all the airplane into consideration when calculating the CG. It's worthwhile to consider the tail size and moment, and it works that for you.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm
Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: darock

There is a fairly easy to use CG calculator program available for free on the internet. It takes all the airplane into consideration when calculating the CG. It's worthwhile to consider the tail size and moment, and it works that for you.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm
That one looks to be a little more in depth, than the one I use [link=http://www.adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm]found here[/link] I have designed a few planes using it and the calculated CG came out perfect on each one.

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 AM
lanny2003

Finished my plane. Took it out yesterday for maiden flight. Left the ground in about 10 feet. No trim needed. Great flight.
I did not have the templates. So I printed out the picture posted from darock ( on page 1 post 12 ). The wings were set right on. Used the CG from the World Models instructions (81mm). With the battery under the canopy it was dead on. I am using a Evolution .61NT with 13x6 prop. I think I will try 125% on the ailerons, the rolls were slow for me.

Now for the important part LANDING IN GRASS !!!!

If like me you have a field with grass that's just a little on the rough side. Go ahead and reinforce where the landing gear attaches.
Came in real slow (10mph head wind) could almost do a hairier landing . Just as the plane rolled to a stop the gear came off. I will post pictures later.

I love this plane.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
opjose

Which plane are you talking about?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
lanny2003

Which plane are you talking about?
Sorry. Its the Yellow Ultimate 46 from Nitromodels.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:58 AM
opjose

Wow, you have an Evolution .61NT in it?

Must be a tight fit on what is really a .30 sized plane.

You probably don't even need the wings to fly it....

---

Re: Rolls

I have mine set to 150% with a bit of expo.

Snap rolls are so quick as to be almost imperceptable.

---

Re: Gear

Did the gear break at the point where it mounts to the fuselage?

Did the wood area it connects to "give"?

Or did you loose the gear at the axle?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 PM
lanny2003

Re: Gear

Did the gear break at the point where it mounts to the fuselage?

Did the wood area it connects to "give"?

Or did you loose the gear at the axle?

The wood piece that the gear mounts to popped off the bottom of the plane. I added some blocks to it this time. Was going to take a picture and post it. Got in a hurry to get it back in the air and forgot to take them. Epoxy is drying now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.