Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How about some good CA GOOFS ???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

How about some good CA GOOFS ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:32 AM
tom czenthe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How about some good CA GOOFS ???

We all used T pins as stoppers in CA bottles.......my would not come out and had to be persuaded with a pair of plyers....not only did the T pin come out..but with it came the entire cap and the contents spilled on my foot which was comfortably wearing Flip flop type sandals... It took the better part of three days to wear off the remnants of the sandals due to a rash caused by the nail polish remover foot baths........
Old 12-09-2002, 02:33 AM
WRXlovr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i squirted myslef in tha eye :stupid:
Old 12-09-2002, 04:02 AM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

I made a great looking wing... Too bad I had CA'd it to the building board!! LOL!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:39 AM
Robert300XS

I glued my foot to the floor 2 times....
Old 12-09-2002, 04:47 AM
shocker

hold pieces togeather with one hand,, ca in other,,, dam lid still on,,pull of with teeth,,, little splash on lips,, first responce,, remove with tounge,,,, opps bad move tounge stuck to lip !!!!gentle remove skin from tounge to remove tounge from lip !!! dam,, thats gonna leave a mark !!! :stupid:
Old 12-09-2002, 04:49 AM
N55340

How about a late night of building and drinking beer. Nothing like waking up with both forearms firmly glued to the builing board. Plus a wife too mad at you to help.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:00 AM
rockmon

I was gluing some hinges and didn't realise how much ca had squirted on the hing and down the hinge line, when I discovered what I had done I freaked and started making sure no ca was on the covering of the wing or all over the ailarons. In the heat of it all I didn't feel the ca on my fingers till it started to go off and at that point it was a done deal all my fingers were glued together on my left hand. Not only could I not pry them apart it felt like someone was holding a blow torch on my hand, well a bottle of debonder later I started to get them apart but minutes before that I was getting ready to put a new exacto blade in to perform some surgery. I still had to tear them apart but at least the debonder started the unglueing process enough so I could peel them apart. Pretty dumb I know but I was so worried I would mess up my covering that I didn't think about my fingers getting glued.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:14 AM
JetSet9c1

Whilst teaching my wife to build,, I went to the other room for just a moment. When I returned, she had glued three fingers to the spar. Of course she started freaking out, and that's also the day she learned about debonder.

Wing still tuned out great though.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pins...

I pulled a round head pin out of a bottle of Hot Stuff one warm day with my teeth. The Stuff squirted into my mouth and I froze, flared my lips, held my jaw open and held my toung in the center of my mouth while feeling the Stuff setting up. I was scraping glue off my teeth for two days.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:08 PM
tom czenthe

Default CA gooooofs

Aren't we lucky they invented CA.......we never had any of this with ambroid.......at least I never glued my fingers together or glued my lips to my teeth with Elmer's ...........Great fun readin Guys............
Old 12-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Ahh...I *knew* we'd get to CA tricks. Just can't be avoided.

Many, many moons ago - lived in an apartment. Fully carpeted. Doing some hinge gluing...put a new tip on the bottle. Turned over to apply glue - plop - tip comes off bottle (wrong brand)....felt okay, though.

Then I saw the smoke of the nylon pile carpet. Dang stuff almost caught on fire.

When I moved, they wouldn't give me my damage deposit back. Imagine my surprise.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:01 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA tricks

Was putting the radio in a new airplane and my son knocked over the thin CA and glued the receiver to the building board. Had to chip the last of the Rx case off with a chisel and still have a hard spot in my building board that won't take pins.

Used to work in a hobby shop and some parents came with a 9 or 10 year old kid to get his second airplane. He wanted a bottle of CA to put it together but the parents wouldn't let him have any "remember what you did last time, glued both your eyes shut".
Old 12-09-2002, 05:33 PM
GeeBeer

About 10 years ago, I was re-gluing the fin to one of my planes with thick CA. This had been done a couple of times, so I was filling in the gaps with the thick CA. After I had put big globs of it in the gaps, I squirted it with that fast cure stuff (I cant remember exactly what its called... I havent used it since) and lemme tell you what happened....

Once that spray hit the glob of thick CA, the outside hardened first which quickly formed a hard shell on it and compressed the remaining amount underneath. What happened next? Well, the glob popped like a zit (Lack of a better example) and shot a drop right square into my right eye. I was not hovering over the glue spot either... my face was probably about 2 feet away.

My eye didnt get glued shut... but for the next 30 minutes I was trying to brave the sting and extremely irritating feeling of having something in my eye. Finally, Mom (I was a teenager) took me to the emergency room where they immediatly took me in. They put numb dropps in my eye (WHAT A RELIEF IT WAS!!), then dyed it with iodine. They then turned off the lights in the room, looked and took pictures of my eye with some big machine.

I saw the pictures... it looked REALLY neat! There was a big picture of my blue eye... with what looked like a lake with little splatters around it indented in it. Really... it looked VERY neat! They said I had chemical burns on my retna (or cornea... what ever that colored part is on the eye), put some other kind of drops in my eye, gave me a patch to wear for the next two days... pain pills to make me sleep and sent me on my way.

Next 24 hours were not fun, as my eye was constantly burning, but it got better and within 3 days, I was fine. My eye was a little blurry for about 2 weeks but its fine now

Why did I go through this long story? Because it goes with the thread... AND I want everyone to know that something like this could happen. I had no idea something like this COULD happen... I always wear glasses when using CA now, call me paranoid... but I dont want this to happen again to me Though I doubt that most people will wear eye protection while using CA normaly, PLEASE wear protection when using (Hey, I remember now!) Kicker for your CA! What happened to me definatly sucked!!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:40 PM
TexasAirMedic

good point about wearing eye protection .. I'm a paramedic, and away from doing that I'm a photographer and own a studio .. so needless to say my eyes are my LIFE. Heck I wear eye protection just opening packages !!! Okay, i'm not THAT paranoid, but I'm careful to say the least .. most people don't about eye protection with CA but it's very important. I've had it splashed onto my face / lips before and onto the glasses.

Sorry no real exciting story, but I love the others...
Old 12-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

I had just bought my first bottle and was gluing everything together just for fun and amazment. I wasn't paying attention to my son, about 6 or 7 at the time, and he grabbed the bottle, got some on both hands and then promptly glued both hands in his hair. He started screaming as he pulled harder and harder. My wife thought I had killed him. Had to give him a buzz cut to get his hands free. I don't think my wife will ever forget. She was not happy with me.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:02 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I'll relay a little story I told on one of the "club house" threads(Dumb mistakes while building...or something like that) Did ya ever notice how thin C A stays wet on a non porus surface for some time? Well, when I was first learning about the stuff (mid 70's)I didn't notice a drop had gotten on the back of one of my finger nails, and the next time I went to pee...I really got stuck on myself!!! When I told my flyin "buddys" they had a field day bustin' 'em on me!!!:-) Talk about leavin' some skin behind! That was a bit of a dillema!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 02:18 PM
knpjdad

OUCH!!!

Funny!!! But

OUCH!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 04:12 PM
shocker

ooooooooo :stupid: now that left a mark !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:56 PM
plane nuts-RCU

This story did not happen while building models, but at an aircraft manufacturer I worked at several years ago.

The tool crib on the flight line had CA supplied to them in large gallon jugs which they transferred to small round dropper bottles, and passed out to the mechanics. A fellow that worked with me had gone to the tool crib and got one of these small bottles to tack some shims together. He absent-mindedly put it in his shirt pocket when he finished with it, a habit he had from another medication he used frequently. This man suffered from allergies, and always carried "visine" eye drops with him, in his shirt pocket.

I heard the screams from across the hangar, and looked up to see him running blindly around. He had reached up with one hand and spread his eyelid apart then put a couple of drops of CA in his eye, which ran out and glued his fingers to his eyelid, along with burning his eye.

Someone led him to the eyewash, which didn't help at all, then he was rushed to the emergency room. A couple of days later he was back at work with a patch on the eye. As far as I know there were no long term effects. But those who saw it still talk about it with shudders to this day.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:46 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

You know guys, after reading all the eye related stories, I think mine wasn't too bad after all! Glad to hear that no permanant damage has been done to anyones eyes!!! Think I'll keep a pair of safety glasses right next to my c a from now on...(hope they don't get glued to the table! :-)
Old 12-11-2002, 08:53 PM
tom czenthe

Default CA GOOOOOOOFS

Funny stuff Guys........not horror stories.......
Old 12-12-2002, 04:14 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

I've got a CA story, but not a goof....

In the very early '70's I was building some plastic models that I had received earlier that Christmas morning. It was about midnight and I had been up for about 18 hours straight. (A lot for a ten year old) I got up to get a glass of iced tea. When I returned to the table to sit down and resume model building I was so tired that I completely missed the chair. I cracked my chin open on the edge of the table on the way down to the floor. My mother took me to the emergency room at the nearby military hospital. Two doctors looked at the gash and decided that I needed stitches. Then, one of them got that "EUREKA!!!" look on his face and called my mother over to the side to talk to her and the other doctor. After seeing all of them nod their heads in agreement they came over to me to give me the news. One of the doctors explained to me that there was a way for me to not get any stitches. He said that in Viet Nam the Docs over there were using a new type of glue instead of stitches to seal wounds like mine. They said it might burn for an instant (they were right) and I would be good to go in a minute. I later learned that what they used on me was CA. My chin only has a faint line where the cut was and I have no extra skin pooched up that stitches would have left enabling me to get cut every time I shaved. Some stuff!!!!!

Kevin
Old 12-12-2002, 04:36 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

A few years back I worked at Pec's Hobbies in Mt. View California. The owner of the hobby shop decided to put out a line of CA products. PIC was the brand name.
They had a product that you would rub onto your hands prior to using any CA. If you did get CA on your fingers after this stuff was applied it would just peel away like dead skin. it was really a great product.
The owner was at a hobby trade show and was demonstrating this lotion like stuff to the crowd. He greased up, and then had someone put a huge puddle of medium CA in his palm.
There was so much CA in his palm it just kinda just sat there like puddle. He then asked someone to hit it with accelerator to speed up the process..............OUCH! CA + Accelerator = HEAT!!!!

2nd and third degree burns to his palm.

Not funny......... ( we'll ok, maybe a little )
Old 12-12-2002, 04:43 AM
Damnathius

Ya know Kevin, I've used CA to "cure" Xacto wounds for years now. Works great once the heavy bleeding stops!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:47 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Damnathius,

Me too!!! I found out the hard way not to use kicker though!!! :stupid: Bleeding and smoking----that's gonna leave a mark.....

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.