Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP ULTIMATE 160/WHAT ENGINE SHOULD I USE????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP ULTIMATE 160/WHAT ENGINE SHOULD I USE????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
wrpsr1911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP ULTIMATE 160/WHAT ENGINE SHOULD I USE????

I have just purchased a Great Planes Ultimate 160.. I am at a loss as to which engine to power it with? OS 160 ? Saito 220? Saito 180? DA 50 ? Fuji Imvac 43EI ? OR WHAT????? I have read and heard sooo much GOOD and BAD on each choice. If any of you have any of these Combos, please share your experience and suggestions as to what power plant is best. Your Help will be greatly appreciated!!! MANY THANKS, WOODIE
Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GP ULTIMATE 160/WHAT ENGINE SHOULD I USE????

ORIGINAL: wrpsr1911

I have just purchased a Great Planes Ultimate 160.. I am at a loss as to which engine to power it with? OS 160 ? Saito 220? Saito 180? DA 50 ? Fuji Imvac 43EI ? OR WHAT????? I have read and heard sooo much GOOD and BAD on each choice. If any of you have any of these Combos, please share your experience and suggestions as to what power plant is best. Your Help will be greatly appreciated!!! MANY THANKS, WOODIE

Grab something to drink and have at it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32..._1/key_/tm.htm

I use a Brison 3.2 in mine at 16lbs and I'm well into 60 flights and loving it. I've only seen one report on the 160FX and he took that out and replaced it with a DA50. He liked the 160 but it was a bit lacking. Other tried Brison 2.4 and the Fuji 43 and all went into a 50cc engine

So what it boils down to, use a 50cc engine and you will not be disappointed. This is one plane that you really do not need to make changes to other than changing the hinges. I used the blue CA hinges and others used pinned hinges. That's about all the mods you need

So far everyone that has been a part of the thread I gave you the link to loves it. There even have been a few that crashed and they went and bought another. GP did it right with this one as well as the Cap232 160 (I have that one also) It's a typical Ultimate, takeff and lands like a big puddy tat and when you crank up the throws, it because a tiger but has no bad habits at all

There is also a review done on it with the Fuji. It's weight was 14.5 punds and he loved it. I originally had the 43 in mine but it came out at 16.75 pounds and I lost almost a full pound getting the brison 3.2

Here is a link to the review

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=636
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Slyder

Just over 15# with Brison 3.2
Old 05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
codemanx
My Feedback: (13)

Me Too! 15# 3oz with the Brison 3.2 and tons of power. Great combo.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I'm on my SECOND Ult - both with 50cc.... BME, now Brison.... if you can do it, the 50cc class ANYFLAVOR (except the heavyweight anchor-conversion-way-too-heavy-for-the-power-they-put-out motors) will do WONDERFUL things with that airframe.

You just cannot imagine.....
Old 05-04-2006, 03:52 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: aerobob

I'm on my SECOND Ult - both with 50cc.... BME, now Brison.... if you can do it, the 50cc class ANYFLAVOR (except the heavyweight anchor-conversion-way-too-heavy-for-the-power-they-put-out motors) will do WONDERFUL things with that airframe.

You just cannot imagine.....

------------------

Could you be a little more specific in telling us which engine to avoid? <G>
Old 05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
BSR
My Feedback: (2)

i see you used a brisson \what prop are you using with bipe just orderd one. took motor off mig 3 that hasent flown yet . have you flown plane yet. and have you had any problems with rfi as of yet
Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: BSR

i see you used a brisson \what prop are you using with bipe just orderd one. took motor off mig 3 that hasent flown yet . have you flown plane yet. and have you had any problems with rfi as of yet
I started out on the MSC 22x8 and just changed to the Mezjlik 23X8 since I have over 6 gallons through it now. Start out of the MSC 22X8 if the engine is not broken in. When I first got mine it was turning the 22X* at just over 7000, now it turns it at just under 7300. I switched props and am turning 7200 even and have even more pull than I did before and with the 22X8 the pull was great

I have had no problems at all with RFI. Just do the standard RFI practices and you will be fine
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM
BSR

new in gas should i run pcm or can i get by with fm had rfi with old g62
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
bubbagates

BSR,

never run PCM to help fix a RFI problem. PCM only masks it until it gets so bad you will be worse off than PPM. I always use PPM for a few flights to verify I have no issues then I switch to PCM for the failsafe.

It's best to find the source of the problem first for any type of RFI
Old 05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
BSR

the fri was with old radio and olg g62. since then new brisson new hitec radio and follewed protocall with all switches and keeping everything as far as possible from ing. so what your saying is rainge check which i did already with out any problems. but people said dont fly it without pcm reciever
Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Haven't flown mine yet.. but I have a Moki 1.8 in mine. Couldn't afford a 50cc engine. The Moki 1.8 was in my GP Christen Eagle (which flew it nicely.. and pretty scale with scale-like aerobatic performance), so I bought a Brillelli 46 for the Eagle, and pulled the Moki out and put it in the Ulti Will post up how it handles once it's airborn
Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Ought to be pretty darn good with that MOKI.... but be prepared for a BIG glowfuel bill....
You'll enjoy it so much, you'll have to bring a drum to your field on a good day!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
bubbagates

I have no personal experience with the Moki but the people I have spoken with all say that's the glow engine to have next to the OS160FX. Since you are the first to offer a response on anything glow on this plane, please take the time to copy it into the huge thread going on about this plane. So far it's been all gassers and we would love to hear the glow engine side
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
deckerv

no problemo bubba Will do once I shake the rust off my fingers and fly that pup
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
deckerv

Copied from my blog...
Well.. finally had a chance to fire up the Moki and put that Ultimate in the air. It's going to be my new favorite airplane.. I can tell that already. I had motor problems though, for some reason, the engine flamed out both times I flew it. I had it running pretty rich, but it seemed like all of a sudden someone would just take the fuel right out of the line and the engine spooled down without one sputter of life.

I don't run a pump, nor have I ever with this Moki. The only thing I did differently in this installation though was not to use a header tank. I wonder if I put one on this ulti, if the problem would then go away? I know lots of people run pumps or cline regulators, but I didn't need one before, can't imagine why I'd need one now. Any thoughts?

Anyway, this bipe glides pretty well for its size!!! (thank God!!) No bad tendencies at all.. none! This is the first airplane I ever had that I actually needed dual rates and expo . There are a few coupling issues with knife edge, but with that large rudder, it's not really unexpected. I'm not into 3d yet, but I did manage to do walls and waterfalls without any real effort.. as well as flat spins. Thank the Lord that it's so stable.. I lost power on one of those waterfalls (test flight). The engine quit on flight number two on final.

As for power... I can't say yet.. I had that engine running slobbering rich, so it wasn't making optimal power at the time. With that said, it did seem to climb straight up for a LONG time until I cut the power. I'm sure power/weight will be ok, but not like it would be if I could afford a DA50
Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: deckerv

Copied from my blog...
Well.. finally had a chance to fire up the Moki and put that Ultimate in the air. It's going to be my new favorite airplane.. I can tell that already. I had motor problems though, for some reason, the engine flamed out both times I flew it. I had it running pretty rich, but it seemed like all of a sudden someone would just take the fuel right out of the line and the engine spooled down without one sputter of life.

I don't run a pump, nor have I ever with this Moki. The only thing I did differently in this installation though was not to use a header tank. I wonder if I put one on this ulti, if the problem would then go away? I know lots of people run pumps or cline regulators, but I didn't need one before, can't imagine why I'd need one now. Any thoughts?

Anyway, this bipe glides pretty well for its size!!! (thank God!!) No bad tendencies at all.. none! This is the first airplane I ever had that I actually needed dual rates and expo . There are a few coupling issues with knife edge, but with that large rudder, it's not really unexpected. I'm not into 3d yet, but I did manage to do walls and waterfalls without any real effort.. as well as flat spins. Thank the Lord that it's so stable.. I lost power on one of those waterfalls (test flight). The engine quit on flight number two on final.

As for power... I can't say yet.. I had that engine running slobbering rich, so it wasn't making optimal power at the time. With that said, it did seem to climb straight up for a LONG time until I cut the power. I'm sure power/weight will be ok, but not like it would be if I could afford a DA50
I had the MDS 1.48 that liked to flame out the same way you are talking about. I ended up fixing that with the Maxx Products onboard glow http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-27.html

It would light the plug at idle at stop the glow at about 1/2 throttle. The transition became instant to full throttle in the air (it always ran good on the ground).