Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Golden Skies Crossfire

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Golden Skies Crossfire

Old 04-28-2006, 07:53 AM
maddieone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden Skies Crossfire

Ok Folks, I am contemplating purchasing the Golden Skies Crossfire 320. There have been no posts that I know of on RCU. I viewed the Golden Skies website and there were a few testimonials but no way to contact the writers. Talked with Golden Skies and they gave me the normal sells pitch and it sounds good.
Has anyone out there had experience with this aircraft.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Golden Skies Crossfire

My flying buddy has one still in the box. It sure looks like its made well and the covering is nice. I hope to help him maiden it sometime this summer after he gets it assembled.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have flown it. It is a very nice sport plane. Big, good visibility, tracks well, fully symmetrical airfoil for smooth aerobatics and it slows down well for landing.

Jim
Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 AM
cahusker
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a lot of the test flying of this plane before it was committed to production. It is an excellent flying plane with no bad habits. It is as advertised, a great sport flyer, and in the hands of a capable pilot can do some 3-D as well. Mine is powered with an OS 1.20 and has unlimited vertical and plenty of power to do anything I can do with it. I converted mine to the tail dragger version and like it even better than the trike set up. No problem from grass fields. The new Bampf is also a great flyer and equal to or even better than the original Crossfire. Plane also flys well on a 90FS or a 90 two stroke set up. The hardware in the kits is first class with all of the linkages made up for you and easy to install. Lee Schantz is a great guy and very committed to customer service. You will find him helpful in many ways so don't be afraid to call him with any questions you have about his planes.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 AM
maddieone

Hey Gang - Maddieone here, I purchased the Crossfire. The plane is absolutely beautiful. Came out of the box in excellent shape with no damage. The covering had some wrinkles, but considering that it is OraCover and came from China that was no big deal. A little time with a heat gun and wrinkles all gone. Taking a close look at the structure, this plane is built like a tank without the weight. The wing is sheeted both top and bottom from the center to half way to the tip and the sheeting is nice and thick not like some planes that you can put your fingers through just picking it up from the bench. The fuse is solid sided not just stringers. The turtle deck is sheeted also. As cahusker said the hardware is excellent and Lee Schantz replaced some of the cheap stuff with good stuff prior to shipping the plane. Have so far done all of the fuse work and it all came out straight and level. I chose to do the tail dragger version. I am now going to do the wing. Yeah, I know I am supposed to follow the manual and do the wing first but my work area is small and the wing takes up a lot of space. The only deviation so far is that I used Pacer hinge glue on the hinge points rather than epoxy. I have used it on a 27% Edge and have had no problems. More to come.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
maddieone

Maddieone Update:
Finally got a chance over the weekend to fly the Crossfire. Man what a beauty of an aircraft. She does everything advertised and then some. She is a real joy to fly. She has no bad habits and landings are a real dream. She is, in my opinion, the best all around sport plane that I have ever owned. The assembly was straight forward and easily completed. It took about six actual effort hours to complete. There was a long elapsed time from start to finish but I did not get to work on it as often as I wished.

This plane is a true winner for the sport flyer and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a easy building great flying airplane.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 AM
skubacb

What engine are you using? And with its weight, what weight did you have to add to achieve what MAC. I.E. where did you set the CG from 25% to 30%.

Lastly, what was its weight ready to fly?

Building one. Since yours flew so nice it would be good to know how you set it up.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
maddieone

Craig,

Glad to read that you are building the Crossfire. You will not be disappointed. I have a OS 91 four stroke for power and fly at half throttle most of the time. I am a died in the wool sport flyer and she will do all of the aerobatic manuvers that I can handle. She is fully capable of 3D with additional power required.

Think that she came in around 7 pounds. As far as the balance point, Lee at Golden Skies suggested that for general sport flying that I set the balance point at 3 and 13/16th measuring back from the former at the front of the wing saddle. I had to add some weight, stuck it to the engine mount, to get her to balance at the suggested setting.

I am going to try and insert the picture that Lee sent me for clarification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ec88994.jpg (1.44 MB, 44 views)
Old 09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

Maddieone,

How much weight did you have to add?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
maddieone

Don't really remember, think that it was just a couple of ounces. Don't matter, the all up weight and wing loading was not adversely affected
Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
skubacb

Hi,
We have now flown a four Crossfires. On CG if you have a 90 place a 1650 to 2100 mah 6 volt battery under the tank and it will balance. If you use a YS110, put the same battery at the back of the cockpit.

The YS110 is a killer motor on the Crossfire. Unlimited vertical. Extremely short takeoffs. The construction of the Crossfire is like all GoldenskiesRC aircraft, to perfection. I really enjoy that the plane is so well engineered. Everything fits correctly and like the vertical stab installation aligns itself for you.

However, I am not a fan of the manual. There are a number of mistakes and some items are listed out of order. So this would not be a good first timers aircraft to build.

We have tried the articulated landing gear. It is a blast to stall the aircraft slightly above the runway and watch the plane just settle down without a bother.

You can land the tricycle gear plane on the mains. Just be sure to not hit the tail. The entire time the plane stays completely controllable.

We tried the SPE26 motor on the Crossfire. It flew without any problems. Landings were just as smooth as with the OS90. However, I would not do it again. The physical size of the 26 is just a little too large. I moved the fuel tank to the CG and put the ignition unit and battery in the old tank position. No lead was used to balance the A/C just repositioned the flight battery.

The Crossfire has to be my all time favorite aircraft of this size. Also, I have never has business with such a decent person as Lee Schantz.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm highly considering a Crossfire, anyone else have experience with one?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
maddieone

I had the Crossfire 320 for over three years. The only reason I do not have it now is that I got a deal I could not refuse. Guy really wanted the plane. The plane is constructed and covered excellently. Lee at Golden Skies upgrades the hardware package and I did not use other hardware when I assembled the plane. She is a very stable flyer at all speeds. And since she is sort of a pattern ship she can do a lot of tricks. You need to get used to slowing down a little sooner for landings but after a few you will have no problems.

Curt
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 AM
skubacb

Apparently, Lee is going to do some discounting. One of our flyers here just bought a backup. He stated that he likes the plane so well that he does not want to be without it if he makes a big mistake.

He also got the Bampf. This is highly 3D. The CG that Lee recommends was too much for me. It was controllable and the 3D guys here at the field would have loved it but for me I moved the battery from the back of the cockpit to about where the tank is. That gave me a very aerobatic plane but does not tax my aging reflexes so much.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
skubacb

Right now you can get a Bampf or a Crossfire for $150. Smoking deal. Apparently, he has another container coming in and is making room for more. Save $100 or more. Cool.

http://www.goldenskiesrc.com/

BTW I bought a backup Bampf and Crossfire. As did about 8 other people in the club. The Crossfire is seriously the best flying 60-90 you will ever fly.

Not associated with Goldenskies. I just really like the quality of his products. Friend also has his Extra 300 and an Aeroworks Extra 300. I laid back to see which airplane he would fly the most. Slow but surely I saw the GS Extra coming out more and more and the AW coming out less and less. I keep waiting on the production of the Falco and have a standing order for it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 PM
skubacb

The big discount for the Crossfire is gone.

Still this is absolutely the best 60-90 sized aircraft for sale today. IMHO