Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 108 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Tim,

Thanks for the awesome response. I don't know that it makes a decsion much easier because you gave me the advantages of both. It does however ease my mind about stepping into gas. I guess for an investment of $399 it can't hurt to try. Worst case I dont like it and I at least then I can say I tried it. I do hate cleaning glow fuel residue off my planes so this sounds good!

I saw the review in MA yesterday.. I had decided to buy it prior to reading that but that article made me actually place the order!

Thanks again for the great response!

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim!!

Small world, huh?

Well, Rced, I have a Giant SS with the Fuji 32 EI and I have to tell you it's much easier to handle than any glow engine you'll possibly have.

First, it doesn't require you to deal with the needle valve too much. You will set the needle once in a year if so and by 1/16 to 1/8....

Second, there's no mess, no oil. It's clean...

If you need advice, believe me. Go gas on this plane. Go EI.

Flavio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi again Flavio!

And Eric, one other advantage I can think of with a gas engine is that they seem to idle much more reliably--with a battery to power the ignition it's kind of like an on-board glow. Again--others may dispute this (but I doubt it) and this is from my personal experience and observation.

Take care!

Tim
    Tim Lampe
    Hobbico R&D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The gas engine runs and idle's and starts much better then glow but the best thing about it is i can fly all day for a few dollars, i put a DA-50 on my cap 232 sport and could not ask for a better flying plane, all of my other engines are the YS-160-140 AND TWO 110'S THAT i would never get rid of as they run so nice and they also love there gas but i have yet to have one dead stick with any of the engines that i have, not one in five years or so, so i fly them as a treat and the gas i can fly all day

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has any body used the Evolution G35 in there SS and if yes does it fit better that the Fugi 32? Is it to much for the plane?
    Best Regards

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve
    A SS is a very large airplane, what has it got an 80 inch wingspan, fuji is a great engine and there are so many other engines out there also BME, IF it would take a DA-50 that is what i would use, steve i done alot of reserch on an engine before i bought mine, took about five gallons of fuel before i swapped to synthetic oil then it cleanned up so well with hardly any oil under the plane, there are all kinds of nice engines out there but the da-50 is more of an aerobatic airplane where a fuji is a great engine is more of a sport engine, but still they make a great engine with lots of power, all i can tell you is that before you buy get a few book, flyer RC, there are all kinds of books out there with great writ up's on different engines and that is what i would do, i started out with a 32 fuji and it was a wonderful engine, it started so well that alot of the guys at the field went to fuji also they have larger engines also, i use a large engine as i live in utah and the alitutde is so high, i also have all of the ys engines and the ys-160-140 and i have two 110's and i run 30% nitro but the fuel cost so much and never will i sell them engines but i had to go gas to fly as much as i want and the others i take along for a few flights and to keep them in great shape, i spent alot of money and i sure do take good care of my engines and keep them clean, nothing hard about it but good luck and let me know what you do with, Rollie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve
    Go to RC Universe. scrool down and they have all the new products out and always have alot of engines there, i see a 50cc engine, cannot pronunce the name but it sold for only 250 but also it has three barrens in the shaft and that is very important to me, i didnt really check it out but it is a great place to look.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input... But I was hoping to fine someone that has tried the Evolution 35 with the SS... The thrust to weight I believe would be idle for the SS. It produces almost 2 more HP than the Fuji 32 and weighs 10oz less then the Fuji.

Thanks again

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve, i read where you ordered the G-35, you done well to go with gas, true the electronic ignition is nicer and much lighter and the battery to run it will last longer then the reciever battery and it easy to charge anyways, either way you will enjoy the gas engine, there is nothing to them, ask for advise at your flying field if you have a problem or question and i am sure that you will be very happy with your choice and let us know how it runs k, my YS-160-DZ -oh yes it has the power to spare but cost me 630 dollars and worth every penny, but i went to pick up two gallons of 30% nitro and it has gone up a few bucks and wanted 53 dollars for 2 gallons, i love all of my YS engines and never will get rid of them, never had one dead stick in years of running them, i did run out of fuel once with the 160 and i will always run them but my gasser is my main plane to fly because of the cost of fuel and they also have nice power, your plane will go really nice and you will be very happy with it, good luck and keep us posted on how it runs, it takes about five gallons to break in a gas engine then you will swap to synthetic or at least that is what my instructions on my DA-50, you will be so very happy with your purchase.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my SS. I have an OS 1.60 in that flies the plane great. I did the tail support upgrade and also changed the landing gear. I don't like transporting planes to the field without landing gear attached to the fuse if I can help it, my Warbirds I can't help it but this plane I could. I added landing gear from my old Funtana 90 after I painted them white.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om34055.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	817348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59373.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	817349  
    even a nut can find a blind squirrel every now and then

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks like a great job! When you get a chance can you flip her over and take some pics for us? I would love to see the landing gear attached and also how you cut the cowl for that muffler. Any landing differences with the gear more forward? (Better or worse?)

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never had the stock gear on it but because the plane lands so gentle and is such a floater revised gear works great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all;
    I'm getting ready to work on my GSS over the holidays. I have a DL50 & 22" prop for it. Some questions:

Do I need to reinforce the tail?

Can I use a Y-harness for the ele servos or will I end up with 1 horn up and the other down? What's the best fix?

Should I use both a manual kill switch and an optical that is TX actuated?

Hitec 645 servos?

Thanks everyone...this is my first giant/gasser!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You beat me to suggesting the DL-50. Great price, lots of power, idles and transitions great and great support when bought here in the US by an authorized dealer. I got mine a few months ago. It is currently being fitted in my GP Ultimate 1.60. Power to spare.

Some computer radios can be programmed to drive a free channel for dual elevator servos. You can just reverse the direction of travel on the needed channel.

When you do not have a radio that is that flexible in programming, then you need to go into Y harness, with a reverser, on one side. Be sure to buy a reverser with adjustable end-point. It will handle your model just fine.

I bought the digital Hitec 645 servos. 5645? Can't remember the designation at the moment. Anyway, I might use these Hitec servos in something else large first and use JR 4721 servos first. Depends. <G>

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim on post 225 made mention of the product review
    in MA that covered the GSS. If there was EVER a bogus
    review of a product , then that could be used as the template.

I picked up a GSS for a winter knock around so I could
    park my scale stuff for the season. Before I received my
    GSS I decided that I would do a small review on this ARF
    so I could give a report at my next monthly club meeting.

The only thing positive I can say is that it does fly very well.
    Beyond that , if this is what you guys call quality then your
    standards aren't very high.

Regards,
    Roby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Roby
    I am not going to buy a SS but what is the problem with the tail, is it built weak. I have used the HT-645MG servos without any problems after i lost two nice planes using standard servos. I also now use the hyde soft mount on all of my planes and has taken the vibration away

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too own a DL50 that I have on a GP Cap and I agree it's a great engine. I think it's a way over the top for this plane but if highly overpowered planes are your thing then a couple items of importance, if you decide to go this route, is prop clearance. I think you would have to do something different with the landing gear. I think I would beef up (pin) the firewall too and due to alot of vibration, i would want to strengthen the tail feathers some how. I do want to add I think this airplane absolutely doesn't need nor is it designed for this large of an engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished with one of these doing a re-cover and some structural mods. I did add some bracing to the tail just to be safe in the form of tail brace wires, cross bracing in the horizontal stab and a ply plate in the fuse between the two formers forward of the tail. This is where all of the flexing was. I am using a Brillelli 46 on mine with a 20x10 Xoar. There is plenty of ground clearance with this prop. I think that a 22" prop with the stock gear will work OK as long as you are careful on your take offs and landings. I am interested in hearing about the performance with the DL 50. I haven't had the chance to fly mine yet but I anticipate pretty good performance. Here's mine below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88932.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	818748  
    Ultrasport Brotherhood #33

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have my da-50 with a 22x8 with 4 inch tires with plenty of clearence, i use a u and i can lift the tail over it when i am ready to fly and i have a hyde soft mount, i have no vibration, try one and you will never again mount an engine without using one, there are many soft mounts out there but the hyde mount is the very best money can buy and it is worth every penny, many guys at the field that run the yak and extra the larger plane then mine are going to the hyde mount also, they just could not believe the difference and most everyone that is in the TOC and IMAC also run there engines with the hyde mount

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Roby

Tim on post 225 made mention of the product review
    in MA that covered the GSS. If there was EVER a bogus
    review of a product , then that could be used as the template.

I picked up a GSS for a winter knock around so I could
    park my scale stuff for the season. Before I received my
    GSS I decided that I would do a small review on this ARF
    so I could give a report at my next monthly club meeting.

The only thing positive I can say is that it does fly very well.
    Beyond that , if this is what you guys call quality then your
    standards aren't very high.

Regards,
    Roby
    Hi Roby.

I shouldn't start getting into the practice of responding to every criticism--I won't win (and there's not really any need to), and one guy from a hobby company posting in obscure threads won't make much of a difference anyway, but I'll see if I can respond to your post just the same.

I don't think I can say that the review on the giant Super Sportster in Model Aviation is bogus. Actually, I was pleased that the author wrote about things other than simply repeating the assembly process that anyone can get from the manual on line anyway. But I do feel that most reviews in most magazines seem to point out only the positive aspects of a model. This is only my personal opinion.

Thanks for your compliments on the way the giant Super Sportster flies. Personally, one way I would describe it is a "big honey."

As far as your comments on our quality standards, well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It sounds like your opinion on that one is pretty strong and I won't try to change your mind about it. But I might be able to shed a little light if you read this other post I wrote earlier today.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6711704[/link]

Tim

Tim Lampe
    Hobbico R&D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

(fireman7875)

Dude! Scallops! And classic black and yellow!

I LOVE it! [sm=thumbup.gif]
    Tim Lampe
    Hobbico R&D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying for several years and always paid to have my planes built, i am now learning and doing the best i can, it is very enjoyable and i also have many friends that also have helped me as well and i love to even watch some one build so i can pick up what i can from them, i am just a sport pilot and most planes they are now making are so light and that is ok but at least put a nice landing gear onto it, i have a cap 232 sport and it has a two piece fiber glass landing gear and it has spring and the most wonderful landing gear i have ever had on a plane with a da-50, i want to get the yak QB when i can, i have all arf's and all have the hyde soft mount and having no vibration helps an awful lot or little to no vibration, a kit i think is better then an arf but i guess that is up to how well of a builder he is, i also give my planes away when i am done with them, it is nice to do a good thing for others.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim,

Thank you for your response. I did go to the link
    you provided in your reply.

Without getting into details and to avoid dragging this out into
    an ARF bash, I'll just say that if this ARF works for anyone rite out
    of the box, and your happy with it , then good for you.

Enjoy it while you can.

(That black and yellow reworked job looks pretty good)

Regards,
    Roby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pilot727

I have read comments about issues in the tail area
    but to date haven't seen even a hint of a problem.

I didn't assemble the horizontal stab using the
    proceedure in the manual. I'm not sure if that
    has anything to do with it. I guess only time will tell.
    I'll keep an eye on it for some time.

To date I have only about 30 flights on it. The weather
    has been a little difficult lately. I still have to add some
    weight on the CG and then move the CG back. I'm adding
    the weight as I believe the plane is too light and it needs
    more mass. With the CG in the location given it won't spin.

Regards,
    Roby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it is a great thing to let others know if they are having problems or if there is even a chance of having a problem with some part of a plane, just keep an eye on it, it is a good thing to know, not cutting the plane down, maybe you will never have a problem with it, but many planes out there have a weakness in them and if some one tells me about it, well thanks i will check it out, maybe there's is ok. But it is good to know.

Page 10 of 108 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast