Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

ORIGINAL: foresterxt

What's the largest prop you can run in the Giant SS and still have ground clearance? I'm getting ready to put the ARF together with a CRCpro 45 V3 and was planning on running a 20x10.

Thanks, Dave
Dave

You will probally be OK with a 20" prop. In my photo above I have my prop turned down in that photo, and that is an 18x8 apc prop with good clearence. You might chop a bit of grass with a 20', but you should have around 3" of clearence or so. You could also go with a little taller wheels if you needed to.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought you'd died or something, I see you are still alive.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps. don't worry about cutting those formers. I have already done it.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
rceric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after months of reading this thread I still am at a loss about which power plant to go with. I got my SS and I am ready to start building. Do I go Fuji? Zenoah? or the OS glow fuel?? I did decide that I would try gas (first time) but there are so many pros and cons to the different engines...

What to do??

And I know the answers won't help any because there are so many differing opinions.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rceric

So after months of reading this thread I still am at a loss about which power plant to go with. I got my SS and I am ready to start building. Do I go Fuji? Zenoah? or the OS glow fuel?? I did decide that I would try gas (first time) but there are so many pros and cons to the different engines...

What to do??

And I know the answers won't help any because there are so many differing opinions.

rceric,

I was going to give you the link to a post I wrote earlier in this thread regarding my opinion on gas engines. When I searched back to find that post, I see it was in response to you! Well, here's the link anyway. You might want to go back and read it again just for the heck of it.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6695909[/link]

I'm not trying to convince you to go with gas, I just wanted to give you my personal opinion. I will say that the giant Sportster was a tad "peppier" with the O.S. 1.60 than it was with the Fuji 32 (of course, there are other gas and glow engines other than Fuji and O.S.). The plane will be lighter and I think the 1.60 puts out a bit more power than that Fuji 32. But, with a plane like this giant Sportster, I doubt you are looking for the most speed or power you can get--a model like this is more of a Sunday flier for your run-of-the-mill, standard-issue aerobatics. In that case, the "cleanliness," economy (regarding fuel cost and fuel consumption) and overall user-friendliness of any gas engine can't be beat.

Well, keep thinking about it, take all the time you need and consider other opinions too!

Tim

Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
rceric

Thanks again Tim!

I keep re-reading your original reply to me. I am pretty sure I want to go gas because I am tired of cleaning glow exhaust off my planes and also the cost of fuel.. (Unless some people really come out and tell me the OS 160 is so much better for this plane). So then the question is which gas engine?

Eric

Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
SBrian

rceric, I'm in the same boat you're in, which one do I choose now that the Big Box is here? Gas is a no brainier for this plane. I looked at all the postings and a month later I got to the end. Although none of the pilots in this thread have selected these two motor, the ZDZ 40R and the Evolution 35 GT I'm going forward with the Evolution on the account of weight and HP. The ZDZ is overkill but a real nice motor. I read that many of the guys had to use lead in the tail for balance. The thought of this make me cringe, so I'm counting on a motor weighing in around 50 oz. see specs below. Good luck

Fuji
Shaft: Threaded
- Low RPM: 1200
- High RPM: 11000
- HP: 2.200 bhp@10000 RPM
- Weight: 63.49 oz.

Evolution 35GT
Bore: 1.398 (in.)
- Stroke: 1.386 (in.)
- Shaft: M 10x1mm
- Low RPM: 1400
- High RPM: 9000
- HP: 4.100 bhp@8500 RPM
- Weight: 52.66 oz.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
SBrian

Did you need to add weight to the nose of your SS with the OS 160?

OS 160
Bore: 1.320 (in.)
- Stroke: 1.170 (in.)
- Shaft: 3/8 x 24 threads
- Low RPM: 1800
- High RPM: 10000
- HP: 3.700 bhp@9000 RPM
- Weight: 32.60 oz.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
rceric

Whats the largest prop that 160 can swing?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
flaviosi

Eric,

So then the question is which gas engine?
For the previous posts I realize this will be your first gas model, right? If so, I'm almost begging you... GO WITH THE FUJI 32 EI. First, because it's a very reliable engine. It starts easy, handles a 18 x 8 wood or 18 x 10 carbon prop at 7,500 RPMs and it's just right for the airplane (going with a bigger engine will give you other problems like having to reinforce structure, biff the firewall and so on). Second, the instructions manual will give you precise directions to install THIS PARTICULAR engine and having good instructions is very important when installing a gas engine for the first time. They will even provide you the patterns to cut the cowl. Please, take this advice. You'll thank me when you're done.

A few tips installing the Fuji 32 EI. 1) You won't have room for the ignition on the firewall. Install it up front the tank and wrap it in aluminum paper (very important). 2) install the whole eletronics far far from the ignition. 3) take a plastic servo box, wrap it in aluminum paper and install it right in front of the receiver, like a shelter, a shell, to protect it from the ignition RF emissions.

If you have any doubts, let us know but, once again, for your own sake, go with Fuji 32 EI. I have a SS with this engine and I'm loving it so much that I've just bought another SS and another engine to try to fly together with my son in formation.

Once again, GO WITH FUJI 32 EI. I'll be waiting for the tap on my back with your big thankful smile.

Flavio
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
rceric

Thanks Flavio! This is the kind of info I was hoping for! Good advice till the next guy chimes in about how the fuji is a piece of junk. I am almost sure to go with the Fuji though as of now.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I would say your biggest prop would be 22". You would still have to be careful with your landings. I don't think the 20" will be a problem. I have a 20x10 on mine but haven't flown it yet.

Brian
Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
mpeatfish

hey ckangaroo70,did u use the supplied engine spacers with ur pitts muffler?,I have the bison pitts muffler for my g38,will it work?.Thanks for any help,new 2 posting,new 2 building.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:05 AM
RCFlyerGuy

Okay Guys, I'm on a tight budget [:@], so the SS I just ordered yesterday will get a converted Ryobi 31cc, the same as pictured on the Jag site here: http://jagengines.com/gss31.htm

I really like what Dan has done with this model, the Ryobi, and the revised landing gear. I read earlier how another flyer did something similar. Having the fuselage mounted landing gear just makes a lot more sense. Besides, this would eliminate the issue, also mentioned earlier in this thread, about landing gear mounting block breakage.

I've really been agonizing over which model to build, the Sig 4*, the Giant SS, or a Sr. Telemaster (all with the intent of being Ryobi powered) and after lots of emails and so on, and especially after "talking" with Dan Egelhoff (who has quite an impressive flight background) I'm convinced that this plane/engine combination will be a very wise choice. No, the Ryobi is not a super powerhouse, but it's almost perfect for this plane. The big advantages are that the Ryobi is very econimical to obtain and convert, and with the ultra reliability inherent to the Ryobi you can't lose. ( I have two of then - one in a weed whacker, and one in a leaf blower, both of which I've had for at least 10 - 15 years, and they are still both going strong and I've NEVER had to do anything to them except run them out of fuel at the end of each season before putting them away for the winter!) I found a couple of Ryobi weed whacker head units on ebay for under $20.00 shipped, and with the conversion parts from Jag for just under $100.00, including the very nice muffler they offer, you can't go wrong! Parts are very inexpensive too, when and if they become necessary to obtain. With all this advantage, I just can't justify wasting money on any other engine, and if at some point in the future I feel that for some reason I need more power, I can always upgrade, although from what I've been able to gather, on this model it won't be necessary.

I can't wait to get my new bird, all the Jag parts for my engine, and get busy getting it all together. The Ryobi and the GP Giant SS are a great combination! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

Good choice! You also don't have to hack up the sides of the cowl because of carb and or muffler openings... Happy New Year, Larry
Old 12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
RCFlyerGuy

Harry,

Thanks! BTW, how much experience do you have with Ryobis? I was thinking about eventually fabricating an expansion chamber style exhaust header for it to see if I can pick up some additional power. I want to get it all set up with the Jag Muffler first so I can establish a baseline. I figured I'd run the engine on a stand I fabricate myself, so that I can measure the thrust with a fish type spring scale, and then see if whatever modifications I might make have any overall positive effect on the amount of power produced. I know it's not the most scientific way to do it, but it should tell me something quantitative anyway.

Wadda ya think?[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

I have no experiance yet with a Ryobi, but I have a couple of them I have not yet converted ... I also am going to do one for my Super Sportster... I have one that is off a craftsman wacker, it looks to be a clone of the Ryobi... It has a better con rod, it's not made out of pressed steel like the Ryobi, other than that it looks just like the long shaft Ryobi... It has only one piston ring and I had Frank Bowman make one of his for it... They are really an easy conversion, I will work on it later this winter... I will do away with the flywheel and use electronic igniton for flip starting and weight reduction... Good luck with yours and let us know it works out with the tuned exhaust... Larry
Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 AM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

I'm runing an 18x8 on a supertiger 2300 on a paived runway she leaves the ground in 20 feet. I thought I would have to buy a gallon of fuel every trip but got 8 flights on half gallon only ran out once dead sticks are no proplem. no added weight will amost hover.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 AM
tazzzz

Hey Guys--Im not sure how you are installing those carbon rods into the stab,,,what size rod are you using? Do you have pics or a diagram that I could go by? Thanks--TAZZZ[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 12-30-2007, 01:58 AM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

I have just read all 317 post on this threadand counted only 3 or 4 who said that the tails came off how many hundreds of these planes are flying?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
alan.plum

hi do you think the new fuji 24 will fly the ss ! dont need the 3d stuff just the lazy sunday sourt of flying !!

thanks Alan
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
SBrian

Hello Alan, as you read though this form the conclusion would be that the Fuji 24 would be inadequate for the SS. There seems to be a wide range of option for this plane regarding the engine type used for this aircraft. Look for motors that can swing between an 18 to 20 inch prop at around 7000 to 8000 RPM and you’ll be good.

I ended up with a Mark/Moki 1.8 Gas… This would be considered on the high end of the power required to fly the SS, but I picked it up on EBay for only $300. The form has a lot of great info, take the time to read though the material it well worth the effort.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
D_wilbur
My Feedback: (8)

Hi guys
I have at Zenoah G-45 with slimline muffler in my supper sportster swinging a xoar 20X10 it is awsome power almost goes vertical for ever. A freind of mine is running his with a Zenoah G-26 and it flies fine not as much vertical but the wing loading is less than mine makes it easer to land. I have had trouble with the landing gear breaking lose in side of the wing repaired both sides and my friend had to do the same. any one had simmilar trouble.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: D_wilbur

I have had trouble with the landing gear breaking lose in side of the wing repaired both sides and my friend had to do the same. any one had simmilar trouble.
I have had the landing gear blocks break loose on mine on two seperate soft landings. They just didn't use enough good epoxy there to hold those blocks in place. I would say its almost better to cut open the bottom of the wing and add more epoxy while the Plane is new than to wait til they break loose. The reason beeing those wheel pants will come back and knock a hole in the bottm of your wing when those little blocks break loose if you are unlucky. I have never had a hard landing with mine, and the only damage on my Plane is a cracked wheel pant from running back into the bottom of the wing when a landing gear block broke loose. No big deal except that I found out that Great Planes does not carry replacement wheel pants for the Giant SS. So secure those blocks now, and try to baby those pants as long as possible because there are no direct replacements although I am sure there are other sets that would work.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM
tazzzz

Ive got a G-38 in mine Cant wait for the maiden. BTW,, I read where someone mounted a fuselage landing gear, do you know who it was? Id like to get a picture of that ,sounds like the way to go.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 AM
tazzzz

RCflyerguy. Excellent job. I like your fuselage landing gear set-up,,what gear are you using and where can I get it.

TAZZZZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.