Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
frabru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Does anyone have any pictures of the stab reinforcment. I'd like to do it to mine.

Thanks

Frank
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

I'll shoot a photo tomorrow and post it!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
frabru

Thanks Gary.

Frank
Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
gary41

Frank, I hope these two photos will help. I can't claim the idea was original! I have the large Funtana from Hangar 9, and this was how they did the strengthening of its stab. I FORGOT TO MAKE THE IMAGES SMALLER! I'LL REPOST IN A FEW MIN!

One could use the metal rods, clevises, etc; but I had an extra length of carbon rod laying around, so that was used. Just drilled the holes and epoxy. I also sealed the hinge line on the bottom. I doubt if that was necessary. Only two flights on the SS, it performs beautifly. The Fuji 32 provides plenty of power for all manuvers, except 3D, of course. Only had to add 6 oz of weight to the tail to offset the heavy Fuji. About 2 oz was added to the servo area to balance laterally.

Best of luck with yours, I am sure you'll love it!

Gary
Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 PM
gary41

Frank,

Here are the photos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55326.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	512772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41120.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	512773  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
frabru

Thanks Gary. Did you just drill the fuse and the stab, and thne epoxy the rods into the holes?

Frank
Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM
gary41

Frank;

Yes, that was all! Most difficult part is drilling the stab at the correct angle. I just started with a very small drill bit and ran a scrap length of a 2-56 threaded rod down to the fuse and "adjusted" the angle a little bit at a time until I got it "right". Just epoxyied them in and smoothed the top of the stab, then applied a little patch of monokote over the area.

Gary
Old 08-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can i ask you sth?
Y are you doing this ?
Did any problem occur during the build?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:01 AM
drksky1056

Did any problem occur during the build?
If you look a page or two back in the thread, you will see that someone ha a massive horizontal stab failure due to flutter. I believe that's the reasoning behind it.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 AM
frabru

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the installation.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
biplane bill

Jim

Setting up the new sportster. Looks like inner most hole on the servo and outer most hole on control horn gives me the high rate of 1 1/2 inches at 100%. I believe that was the guidence you were giving, but wanted to make sure. Looks sorta funny to me with the pushrod on that inside hole on the servo arm, but the math makes sense. I have sealed all the hinge lines, counter balanced the elevators, and plan to add flying wires this afternoon. I tried some 2x4 bracing but all I had was pressure treated and that was a bit too heavy.

Bill
Old 08-27-2006, 06:48 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill;

You have it right. As "smokingwreckage" said above, you can improve the situation a bit more and also make it look more normal by using a longer horn on the elevators. Then you can move the pushrod out a hole or two on the servo arm and still use 100% EPA.

But what you have now is the best you can do with the horns you have.

Jim
Old 09-03-2006, 01:14 AM
drksky1056

Has anyone put a Brillelli 40 into this plane yet? My 40 just arrived today and I'm wondering if it's going to fit without opening up the cowl for the muffler. I'd really hate to do that, but I've got the engine and if I have not choice, well, so be it. But I'd like to hear from anyone that has actually mounted this engine on the SS.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have one on order and I am going to install a Brillelli 40GT for power. This engine is 8 oz lighter than the Fuji 32 that is suggested and produces more power. I plan on starting the build in a couple of weeks and I will post it here on RC Universe. With almost 1300sq in wing area and a 40GT gasser for power this plane will be a ball to fly.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
drksky1056

Be prepared to do a LOT of cowl cutting with the Brillelli 40. I just finished mine and it seems that rear-port engines work better for this plane. With the Brillelli and Futaba 3010's it required about 6oz of lead on the nose plus having the receiver battery up front. I think it would have taken about a pound if I left the receiver battery where it was.

Maidened it today and it flew very nicely with very little trimming necessary. Site below has some build pics but I forgot the camera today, so I'll probably have some finshed and flying pics tomorrow and maybe some video.

http://www.dwfoto.com/sportsterbuild.htm
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
jstanton

Drksky,

Very nice looking build page. Do you have a pic of the Brillelli 40GT inside the cowl? I have my Brillelli 40GT in a CMP Giles-202 right at the moment and I had to cut up the cowl on that plane pretty bad to get it to fit over the engine. I am very interested in seeing more pic's of the finished Super sportster and some video if you can get it.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 AM
drksky1056

I haven't even attempted to do anything with the cowl yet. Probably won't worry about it until I get it dialed in. It's only had two flights in it so far.

At the very least, a big, honkin' hole is going to have to be cut for the muffler...and I mean literally the whold muffler. Carb is also going to need a hole on the other side, but not quite as big. I've been thinking of trying to find either an alternate cowl with cheeks, or maybe a radial. The fuse shape is very similar to and Aeromaster bipe, so I don't think a radial will look too goofy.

I'm planning on heading out again tomorrow and will definately get some pics of the finished plane, don't know about video as I don't have a DV camcorder. I might to shoot some with my digital camera, but I don't have a huge memory card for it. Will update the thread when I get the new stuff uploaded.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:49 AM
jstanton

Yes please keep us posted. I understand about the cowl. I to have been thinking of a radical cowl for it. I think it would give the plane some more character.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

If I were to get one of these, what servos are recommended? Would Hitec 625MG's be sufficient for all surfaces? I already have some of these and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a sport plane by going to high power digitals.What is normally recommended for a plane this size? Also, how would a US 41 do for power?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 AM
jstanton

I read the manual and servo's with 50oz of torque or greater are recommended. I am going to us Hitec 475's and JR digital 9411 in mine because that is what I have on hand. The US 41 will be more than enough power. How heavy is it. The Brillelli 40GT I am going to be using is 9 oz lighter than the Fuji BT-32 they recommend. The Brillelli 40GT weigh's only 51oz(3lbs 3oz) total with muffler and EI.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

The US weighs a little under 4.5 lbs. So my HS 625MG's should be fine then.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
jstanton

The US41 should work fine. The plane seems to be tail heavy because darksky had to add 6oz of weight to the nose to get it to balance and he is using a brillelli 40GT
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
drksky1056

Yah, I'm betting it would have balanced perfectly with the heavier Fuji 32.

Had it out again today...flies very nice. 20mph wind [X(] and I was almost doing harrier landings. Very stable, but definately has enough capability for me. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

The Brillelli for was kind of a bear to start the first time, but once I figured out what it likes choke-wise it was a snap. Two flips on full choke and it started within 3 flips dead cold. Still tweaking needle settings, so I'm not seeing near the power it has.

Got a couple of the (mostly) finished Sportster up on the web site now. Probably fly it in this condition till I can figure out what to do with the cowl. New pics are at the bottom of the page. No video yet, though.

http://www.dwfoto.com/sportsterbuild.htm
Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
jstanton

Drksky,

Very nice looking bird. I am really looking forward to seeing how you do the cowl. I was thinking maybe a bleach bottle that was cut up right might make a good cowl for this plane. You would not even have to paint it.

How much does yours weigh with the added weight up front? I see you are using a prop that looks like a Zinger. I had a Zinger on mine, but Scott at Brillelli told me about he Xoar props. he said they would pull much better and he was right. i have my Brillelli 40GT on a CMP Giles-202 right know at the difference between a Zinger and a xoar is like night and day. The Xoar really does out pull the Zinger and is worth the couple of extra bucks you spend on it.

Good Luck with yours and I'll be watching this thread.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone with a flight report on hand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.