Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Nothing like landing on a curved surface.
OMG, brings back some full scale C182 memories of flying into a buddy's place (a grass strip) - with a downhill 27 (facing west) runway - the first few times. Feeling, reaching for that darn runway deep in your flare, when it seems to be sinking faster than you are, pretty darn spooky!!! Talk about trying to maintain composure! Sheesh! Funny to watch some of the "newbies" going around for another shot at it! Sorry to wander off topic, but thanks for the memory!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, with 14 flights on my GSS, I haven't had a tip stall, but I'm also bringing it in a little faster, just because I don't have that many flights on her. I once tip-stalled a H-9 25% scale cub, realized what I'd done and vowed that this would never again happen to me!! So far, that's worked. I'm kind of a fanatic about takeoffs and landings, always practicing them...even when I was flying full-scale.

Assuming there are no mechanical/balance problems, make sure that on the later stages of the downwind leg, begin reducing power and make sure that you're losing some altitude, trading it for airspeed. Remember, a slowly turning prop, at idle, is like having an 18-20" plywood disc out there just hanging in the breeze...creates tons of drag. The airplane should never level out from base leg to final, you should be on a continual decent. If it does, you no longer have a stabilized approach. I see a lot of guys loose most of their altitude before turning final, then they have to balloon it back up on short final to clear the obstacles on the approach end of the runway. If you maintain your airspeed with your elevator and decent with a little throttle, you'll have a continuous decent all the way to the flare, able to control your airspeed and altitude. When making any turns or adjustments when you're getting closer to the ground (most likely on base to final), be careful how much aileron you use. Use as much rudder as you can and control the bank angle of the wings, keep them more level as you slow down...don't let the wings bank too steep or as you try to correct and level the wings, your ailerons will spoil your lift and precipate a tip-stall. The steeper a decent while maintaing airspeed, will allow you to maintain more control all the way to the flare. Here's a tip to use: If your engine were to quit at any point in your landing pattern, could you safely make the runway? Sometimes, we fly a huge pattern, have to add power, loose airspeed, try to drag the airplane in and Viola!!-tip-stall. I've done it before myself!!!! I also switch to low-rates when landing my GSS, keeping the elevator at approx. 50% travel.

I flew full size airplanes a number of years ago and I had one instructor that loved to put our Cessna 172's and Piper Warriors in extremely "critical" attitude recovery drills when he was in the right seat training us. It's all a matter of airspeed and G-loading. He could place the Skyhawk in a roll, beyond 90-degrees, and you wouldn't know it as he was flying in a way that did not exceed airspeed or G-loading. But if you ventured too far outside of that envelope (over or under), you'd be doing things that even the test-pilots wouldn't have tried.

We also have the same problem as Red has, regarding buildings and obstructions that cause very disturbed air which rolls and will slam our airplanes down onto the runway, with a steady west-blowing wind. Ahics has a great thought on wind-sheer. It affects the big boys, can also affect us!!

Mark, I'd keep trying to see how your airplane behaves on a simulated landing, say 50 to 100' up in the air...can you replicate the tip-stall??

Keep us posted!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
frenchie79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planejaw,
Thanks for the flight tips. One gets complacent flying some of my low wing loading 3D planes were a guy just crawls them in. I have probably a minimum of 100+ take offs/landings with my GSS and thats what bothers me-I've landed at every possible angle and condition-grass, asphalt, next to corn over the corn and down with only 100 feet to spare-you name it. Thats why I enjoy the plane-easy to land up until late-Maybe-Just maybe i'm getting old. I'll take it out this week or week end and post results good or bad.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

I ran into a similar situation once when flying at the secondary field I fly at. When the wind is out of the north there is a big metal building that we must do our final over and it stalled, I almost lost it right after clearing the building. It tip stalled and ended up inverted going in at an angle. Luckily I was able to save it. The other guys that watched it happen all agreed that the air currents above the parking lot and metal building reek havoc on an airplane and are not predictable at all relative to the wind direction.. I don't fly my GSS anymore there when I have to final over that building and it hasn't happend since.
Gary
That one brings something else to mind. If you are having the eddy effects of buildings it's invariably a cross-wind landing. With a low wing I make it a practice (that is, when I remember) to bring her in and throttle back at head level with the upwind wing tip below the leeward tip until touchdown. That keeps a gust from getting under the windward wing and tipping you over. That's not a tip stall but looks like one, except instead of one side losing lift first you're experiencing one side getting more ift. An "anti-stall".

We have one big hanger that sticks out almost to the runway and it can cause some "oopsies" with a southerly wind. Luckily, we're prevailing west winds.

I can see I'll be breaking in the BT34 well to try for a good, low idle before I try flying it. I went with the magneto/flywheel instead of EI as I got a good price on it ($275).
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

Planejaw,
Thanks for the flight tips. One gets complacent flying some of my low wing loading 3D planes were a guy just crawls them in. I have probably a minimum of 100+ take offs/landings with my GSS and thats what bothers me-I've landed at every possible angle and condition-grass, asphalt, next to corn over the corn and down with only 100 feet to spare-you name it. Thats why I enjoy the plane-easy to land up until late-Maybe-Just maybe i'm getting old. I'll take it out this week or week end and post results good or bad.
I can relate here as well, flying with the Sportster and a Funtana 125 as primary planes. Switching back and forth as mood and wind conditions demand (Sportster much better behaved in wind). The wing loading isn't that different, but the plane's CG's sure are. If I've spent a lot of time flying one or the other recently, there is (should be) a definite transition when switching. My complacency involves wondering how that last terrible looking landing just happened.... until the reason for it dawns on me. That's usually followed by a sesssion of landing practice consisting of 3 or 4 more landings, then I'm good to go. What I should be doing is starting right off with the realization that first landing is going to suck unless I'm thinking about having just switched planes and using the first flight to reclaim what it takes to fly THAT plane right....
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
frenchie79

Peace-well said
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Charlie P.

Got the cowl mounted and, man, it is a shoehorn fit over the Fuji 34B. The carb is going to stick halway outside the cowl and I'm afraid I'll have to make a huge hole to accomidate the throttle linkage throws. The connector will be out in the air and have to pass back inside. I flipped the carb and that helped (and also got the choke on top where it will be easier to operate when starting but I haven't decided on that yet as it requires the pressure line and fuel line to run further (potential rub & wear issues).

Anyone have any good ideas or successful hints that worked for them? I always agonize over this part of the project as there ain't no puttting back fiberglass once it's ground away.

Once I get the throttle linkage run and the clearance holes cut it's all small stuff. May be up and running by Sunday. Cobbled together a simple servo kill switch. We forget in this day of solid-state electronic everything some of the great manual solutions of the past. The white strap is an elastic band (Futaba hold their servos in the sales case with these) as I have seen micro switches lose their internal spring dozens of times where I used to work. Returns it to open and stops vibration in flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41009.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1468923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27679.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1468924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26850.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1468925  
Old 07-17-2010, 06:21 AM
ahicks

If the cowl turns out TOO bad (hurts your eyes to look at it when done), they're not expensive at all..... not much more than a broken prop? I ordered 2 of them when repowering, and both fit perfectly with the stripe lined up right on the money.... FWIW
Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Charlie P.

Good to know. I went ahead and Dremeled away and it didn't end up too bad. I have to pull the sparkplug and hold my tongue just right to jink it on like a Chinese puzzle box but I think I got a mostly tight as possible fit. At the point of doing the decals tonight.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Charlie P.

Here's a few images:

Mr. Otto Pilot has a VoltWatch to keep an eye on.

Had to take a break from applying the stick-on registration numbers. They never come out sraight or properly spaced for me.

Name:	Nl29191.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1469390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96798.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1469391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39873.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1469392  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:10 AM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

HELP!!!! I need a left-side wing panel,I hit a small pole on the side of our runway when just finishing my landing roll-out... I would rather have a newer,undamaged wing as I don't know if any hidden damage occured that may raise it's head during a high G pull-out.I know Tower sells replacement wings as a pair,but they are kinda pricey and I don't need both.. Help me if you can,Brian
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Brian,
Sorry to hear that a pole ran in front of your plane, we have a fence that has been known to jump out in front of us from time to time here in Austin.
There is no way you can repair the damaged area to your wing. If it is not completely obliterated it shouldn't be too hard. All your patterns for ribs, leading edge, etc. are right there. May even be kinda fun in the process.
Red.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
capitalB

I still would feel better with a replacement wing,as the only way to do it right would be to pull off all of the covering to inspect for hidden damages,This is flying season and with 3 kids and a house to maintain,time is at a premium,now if this was January...I am posting some pics of my plane so you can see how I made this a quiet,powerful and fun to fly plane.If you have any questions as far as equipment or set-up,don't hesitate to ask,I still need a wing!!!

Name:	Rp43991.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1469609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67055.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1469610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77997.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1469611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51707.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1469612  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Charlie P.

You win the "Squeeze-it-in" award this week! At least I didn't have to make way for the cylinder head. Whatchagot under the hood?

I've got one "clean" side with no cowl holes. Luckily it's also the side the "N" numbers came out well on.

Name:	Ca80293.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1470013  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM
capitalB

It has got a CRCC 40,which is a Brison-clone,as I had both and you can't tell them apart.I think they are the same engine.I only cut the cowl away around the cylinder for cooling,otherwise it fit inside.If you look you can see the cowl is 1-1/2" back from the suggested firewall to spinner spec to help with the C.G.The tricky part is that the carb and pipe mount after the cowl is on... Prop is a 19-8,I also fly it with the C.G WAAAY back,makes it more responsive and lands at like walking speed,you just got to be on the throttle and elevator all the way in,Brian
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM
frenchie79

I WANT ONE! love the pipe. Hottest GSS I've seen-Fast just sitting still.
Walking speed landing is what I used to get-
I think maybe I found one part of my wing tip stall/mental/old age issue. When changing a rubber clevis retainer on one of the servos for the elevator, I clipped the clevis in a one hole thats closer to the servo than the other servo-Real bright, don't you think. You don't notice it at real small throws but when full throws are added, there is a noticable elevation change between the halves by eyesight. I'll bet this is part of the problem and it is easy to make this error-well for some of us.
I'll report back this week when I get the chance to fly it. OH-I put a Xoar prop on. Reading the their web site and sales pitches on there props-seems it will cure any and all problems no matter what on any plane. Love those Guys.
Mark
Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Charlie P.

CapitalB - that is a hot looking Sportster! But a quiet Buell?

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

I think maybe I found one part of my wing tip stall/mental/old age issue. When changing a rubber clevis retainer on one of the servos for the elevator, I clipped the clevis in a one hole thats closer to the servo than the other servo-Real bright, don't you think. You don't notice it at real small throws but when full throws are added, there is a noticable elevation change between the halves by eyesight. I'll bet this is part of the problem and it is easy to make this error-well for some of us.
I did something similar with a split elevator Ultimate. When changing over from 72mHz to 2.4gHz I not only unplugged the receiver but re-routed some of the wiring while I was at it. In doing so I either goofed up the servo mixing through my Equalizer II matcher/reverser or the new receiver was different enough that I lost the settings. The neutral point was on, range check was fine, and everything moved in the right direction . . . but I had 20% more up and less down on one elevator half. Boy, was that a hairy flight! I flew it once, sat down and went home after half an hour of figuring what happened without even wanting another flight that evening to see if I'd fixed it until I had a chance to check EVERYTHING without the shakes. It was so bad initially I figured I had reversed the aileron plugs, but ailerons were OK and it was only when I touched the elevator did the biplane lose its mind. That's one I have set with a scary far back C.G. and even with 70% exponential it still is a handful. When I taxi I need full up and it takes off as soon as I even out the elevator with just a hair of up, so I didn't notice it at first (and luckily got some altitude before I did much else). The first time I fed in elevator in flight it was "wicked googly" and I didn't know if I had lost contact or was being struck. I'm thinking "this 2.4gHz isn't so hot." Well, acttually more like "GAAAAHHHHH!"

In checking elevator set-up I tape a 12" bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer on each surface and bring them back to the tips touching behind the rudder and on the center-line. Makes it easy to match the surfaces and the added length exagerates the differences so you can fine tune them very well. You just have to remember to do it! Probably going to be a long time that now when I check the throws in the pits I scrutinize the elevators throws for parity on ALL my models.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
frenchie79

Charlie,
Great idea! I'll do that tonight. Well it sounds as though I may have found the problem, But I'm not ruling out I'm OLD or TO SLOW approach yet.
Anyway my plane seems to perform fine at a good flight speed-only at slow landing speed. I guess just that little tiny bit of difference can be big. Hope this is the problem-thanks for the post and tip.
Mark
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
capitalB

Idle speed,prop pitch and diameter,as well as elevator trim and C.G all play into this,just keep changing things a little at a time,and you will get it right.With each good landing you confidence in the plane will grow and soon you will be greasing them all in.And don't ever use flapperons on landings as the down position ailerons will cause tip-stall like nobody's business.That is why when flying 3d full stall (harriers ect.) you add a little up aileron to stabilise the wing ,Brian
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
frenchie79

CapitaB,
Your correct, all those play into a good setup, you may not have read my previous posts. Confidence and greased landings haven't been been an issue the last 100+ flights. It's what changed from flying one day and taking it out and flying it a month later with no changes (that I remember) and having a heck of a time. I'm thinking one little clevis hole difference per side of elevator may be creating enough to amplify a major wing tip drop-five feet from the ground if you know what i mean.
My buddies putting one together and putting considerable time in covering and paint. After watching me trying to save this plane a couple times-he's getting second thoughts. I've told him not to worry-I'll get it sorted out-Keep building.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
capitalB

I always looking for a good day-trip motorcycle ride or maybe I could bring some of my stuff to your field,let me know,Brian
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: capitalB

Idle speed,prop pitch and diameter,as well as elevator trim and C.G all play into this,just keep changing things a little at a time,and you will get it right.With each good landing you confidence in the plane will grow and soon you will be greasing them all in.And don't ever use flapperons on landings as the down position ailerons will cause tip-stall like nobody's business.That is why when flying 3d full stall (harriers ect.) you add a little up aileron to stabilise the wing ,Brian
Haven't tried raising the ailerons trick, but otherwise it's refreshing to read about somebody else ending up with very similar setup ideas/results as those I've found working pretty well for me on my GSS. Going to try that aileron thing (reflexing?) on my Funtana right away. Can you give me an idea of how much you're using for a starting point? Mixing with low end throttle? Would think that if anything, Funtana will have exagerated results to something like this, could use some low speed/high alpha help with wing rock too! Should be easy to see difference on that plane right away, rather than more subtle results like the GSS might demonstrate. If the GSS gets any slower on final, it's going to be stopped! Thanks for the idea! -Al
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Charlie P.

Raising both ailerons is "spoilerons" and effectively lowers the angle of incedence. It will allow you to bring it in at a steeper approach but possibly faster. Great trick for flat bottommed airfoils that tend to float or with lightly wing-loaded gliders. Start with 10°. With any flaps or spoiler too much (or deploted at too high a speed) can cause a lot of drag and do funy things to your model. Lots of down flap is like giving down elevator on some models. Not something yiu want to do suddenly at low altitude on approach. And some models will balloon straight up. Moral: try it at a good altitude and at low speed first - just in case.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 AM
ahicks

Charlie, FWIW, I was coming from a place a little off topic. What you say is valid no doubt, but approaches were not what I had in mind when thinking of raising the ailerons (whatever you'd like to call that process). I was thinking of a method that might help stabilize the wings when the plane is at a very high angle of attack (high alpha) with no/little forward airspeed.

I'm sure you know, or can imagine, there's a transition period from flying on the wing to flying on the prop, and frankly, this unskilled 3D wannabee is struggling at that point. Anything leading to a little more control
(or better yet, not needing to because of added stability!) during that transition is something I'm willing to try - if that makes any sense..... -Al

Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Charlie P.

In high alpha the wings are almost completely stalled anyway so you'd need to put more aileron area in the propwash. If you mix a camber in with the strip ailerons you'll run out of throw before it accomplishes much. The GSS just doesn't have the control authority for much high alpha. It's one of those splendid models that flies like a human was in it. ;-) The world needs those, too.

I applaud your experimentation but high-alpha maneuvers in the Sportster will likely always be disappointing. I've burnt-out my nerves with my Hot Stik and Ultimates and the GSS was my "Easy Sunday" choice specifically because it's NOT going to require the relentless focus of a high-alpha capable model. (Though, to be fair, on low rates they can also be nice and tame).

Calls to mind a quote:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.