Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Thanks Chris that was fast!
    So with a 14" prop radius to the ground I could mount a 20-22" prop which is more than enough for the Axi 5330 or Hacker A60L electric motor needed to give this 16lb monster some real git up and go on 10s lipo batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone put a G26 in the GP Super Sportster?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can't imagine why you would want to spend more for electronics and batteries than it would cost to get two good 40cc gassers. Do you live in a gas restricted area?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to see some pics of a G-38 in one of these.
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am running a G38 in mine. However, my first one, the tail feathers came off in flight. Not the stab, but the entire tail assembly! Now the ARF horiz stab goes through the fuse with some epoxy. When the tail flew off, it took the layer of wood underneath where we glued it in. It cost me almost $100 in parts to fix my brand new zenoah g38 because it bent the shaft, and it cost me $18 to send the wreckage back to great planes, who turned around and said that it was my fault the tail came apart because I didn't use enough glue when I glued in the hor stab, but that as a measure of good customer service, they would go ahead and replace the plane this time. What a crock. Common sense tells you that it couldn't be my fault because of the way the ARF is shipped! So I'm out about $118 and another build. This time I'm putting triangle stock under the hor stab, and I've turned it upside down and filled the darn thing with epoxy. It's not going anywhere! Now I see that there is a known problem with the hor stab. Imagine that! I'll now go back and put flying wires in and seal up the elevator hinges for good measure. When it was flying, it was an awesome flying mochine! Fun to fly, very graceful and georgous in the air, and flat spin until the cows come home. I do love the plane, hopefully I can get it beefed up enough to stay together. I'll send some pix of how I mounted in the G38. I used the standoffs provided with the ARF and used the flat plate mount.
    Fly \'em if ya got \'em !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just ordered this along with the JR 7202 w/ds821 servos.

I'll be putting my old but reliable G-38 in it. I'm glad to see the included standoffs fit well for the G-38. I'm hoping to use them.

Thanks to all the previous posts regarding tail strength. With the massive Zenoah up front I'll be able to beef up those sections quite a bit since I'll need to add weight to the tail anyway. I've got a few different ideas for strengthening it that I'll be able to look at when parts are in hand. I do like the triangle stock idea. I may try to use some small aluminum angle stock and bolts/nuts in a similar fashion. Also, I'm thinking about adding blind nuts under the stab mount area (possibly with some 1/8 ply reinforcement) and then bolting thru the stab as well as gluing it in. Any thoughts on that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are all good ideas. Anything you do to beef up the tail will be beneficial. Even though I beefed mine up with all the extra epoxy and dowel rods, flying wires etc... I still was nose heavy at balancing, so don't worry about putting too much weight in the tail wile you are beefing.

Yes, use the standoffs that come with the kit with the flat motor mount and you'll do A-OK on mounting that G-38.

We have an ice storm here this weekend so it's going to be another no-fly weekend I'll let everyone know when I get to maiden her...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone have some pics of their Horizontal stab beef up/ extra support?

Mine will be in this week and after reading these posts I am concerned about the stabs.

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll try to get some pix of mine posted as soon as I can. It's all done now and ready to be re-maidened, just waiting on a decent weather weekend now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not enough glue? from the picts the horz stab is still there! Hard to beleive that one! GP usually has always taken care of me when ever I have had an issue with anything, sounds like they did the same for you.
    Anyone have a photo with the plane standing nose to tail? Just wanted to to get a sense of size, and if I would want to get this plane as a quick out-on-the-field-flyer.
    ORIGINAL: twistr

I am running a G38 in mine. However, my first one, the tail feathers came off in flight. Not the stab, but the entire tail assembly! Now the ARF horiz stab goes through the fuse with some epoxy. When the tail flew off, it took the layer of wood underneath where we glued it in. It cost me almost $100 in parts to fix my brand new zenoah g38 because it bent the shaft, and it cost me $18 to send the wreckage back to great planes, who turned around and said that it was my fault the tail came apart because I didn't use enough glue when I glued in the hor stab, but that as a measure of good customer service, they would go ahead and replace the plane this time. What a crock. Common sense tells you that it couldn't be my fault because of the way the ARF is shipped! So I'm out about $118 and another build. This time I'm putting triangle stock under the hor stab, and I've turned it upside down and filled the darn thing with epoxy. It's not going anywhere! Now I see that there is a known problem with the hor stab. Imagine that! I'll now go back and put flying wires in and seal up the elevator hinges for good measure. When it was flying, it was an awesome flying mochine! Fun to fly, very graceful and georgous in the air, and flat spin until the cows come home. I do love the plane, hopefully I can get it beefed up enough to stay together. I'll send some pix of how I mounted in the G38. I used the standoffs provided with the ARF and used the flat plate mount.
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

goto http://myweb.cableone.net/twist and goto the picture page. You'll find a picture of me posing with my giant super sportster that should give you a good idea of it's size. I'm holding it horizontally in front of me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is anyone here had problems with the aileron screws being too small?
    Mine are too small and don't go all the way through ailerons to screw on the backplate of the horn.
    So,
    i just screwed the crews in the ailerons,
    hardened the holes and then screwed the screws again including the horn.
    Do you think it will stay there?
    Also,
    i am planning on using pull-pull cables on rudder.
    But,
    did you used this method to post some pics of your setup?
    Kostas
    **Check my gallery for more pictures**
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=222042
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pics of my progress.
    I used a Dubro heavy-duty pull-pull setup and S3152 Futaba digital's everywhere!!!!![8D][8D]
    Now,

I must install the servo synchronizer for elevator + the elev.. pushrods,
    2 battery packs of 2000mAh NiMh,Rx,switches (+2) am,,,,also,,,

the fuel tank,
    MY OS 160 FX

& the canopy with the cowl.
    What do ya think?
    Kostas

P.S. Tomorrow weather forecast promises good weather,so i will take my UcD 46 out for some practise!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37634.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	668615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	668616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90143.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	668617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd88222.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	668618  
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

one question did you mount your engine inverted or on its side. i am a supertiger fan but i do like the os 160 because of the extra power. i am looking to purchase this plane soon. any suggestions on anything would be a great help. thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MY OS 160 i have it mounted on its side with a pitts muffler and its a great combination
    steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mounted mine on 7 o'clock using the supplied muffler!
    No problem here!
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i am sorry. i dont understand 7 oclock. can you please be more specific. another question what size fuel tank did you use. and how is the performance with the big supertiger engine. please respond when you can

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, guys,

I'm about to start building this plane and I'm going to power it with a Fuji 32 EI...

Cuold anybody pass me their experience with this plane/engine? Any hints or tips on how to install throtle linkage or anything else to note on building?

Í took note of the stab problem and I'll reinforce it with carbon rod as well. Also, I'll cover all the gaps of the command surfaces with clear Monokote to avoid flutter.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Flavio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just did my first flight with G-38 powered SS yesterday. It was nearly perfect. The old, heavy G-38 can pull it through a loop at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. The plane balanced at about 4.5 inches from the LE. This is about 3/4 inch forward of the recommended starting location but it was just right for me. I flew without spinner and cowl and with about an ounce or less off extra plywood, screws, and epoxy, along with a set of 4-40 tail brace wires to beef up the tail. The CG was very reasonable with the Zenoah.

I'll add the cowl and spinner and another set of brace wires (just for added tail weight--might as well get something for the extra weight) for future flights. I think I'll need no more than 1 or 2 onces more weight on the tail.

I also used the kit supplied standoffs and flat mount plate. To get the firewall distance just right I cut 1/4 inch slices off a 3/4 inch dowel, drilled them and put them in behind the kit standoffs.

The GP cutoff switch doesn't work well with this engine. The spark jumps the contacts on the slide switch when it is ON making starting impossible. The microswitch portion is good and I spliced in a toggle fro Radio Shack to replace the slide switch. Works good now.

Any ??s---shoot'em to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to secure the stab in it's place with rods?
    Do you have a pic?
    Or someone else?
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll try to get some pics of the tail braces on the plane plus I have the packages for the hardware so you can see exactly what I used and how. It's real nice if I do say so myself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here's some photos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry don't know how to do it, i'll be glad to attempt by email if you like just post address and i'll give it a try

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, T!

I'd love to see the pics too! If you can't upload here, my email is "skier@pobox.com"

Thanks!

Flavio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thanking about getting this plane and putting a gas engine on it and was wondering if a DA-50 would be way to much for it.

Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast