Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Muttdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Anything out of the ordinary on the maiden? How was the ground handling? I have my throws set at factory recommendations but even on high rates it seems the turning radius is not very tight. I know it is different when you are there on the tarmac but our runway is not super wide or long so I was wondering what others have found
ORIGINAL: bigwes1962

maidened mine a couple days ago....flys great. os gt33 for power with biela 18x8 prop.did the gear mod also and it looks so much better than the stock setup
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
JoeMamma

maidened mine a couple days ago....flys great. os gt33 for power with biela 18x8 prop.did the gear mod also and it looks so much better than the stock setup
Hi,

I've also got a GT33, but it's on my 81" Big Stik. Runs great but I can't seem to keep the muffler bolts tight. The muffler is an $85 part !!!. [:@]

I've tried most of the tricks to keep the bolts tight, but they keep coming loose.[:@]

So far I have been lucky because the muffler itself has only fallen off once, at that was on the runway right in front of me. Saved me $85 !

Just ordered a set of 5mm Nord-Lock washers for the muffler mounting bolts. I'm going give them a try and also use stainless safety wire on my new 5mm bolts. Am also planning on using the safety wire on the muffler itself.

Joe M.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

After a month of trials & tribulations with my DLE-30 I finally installed a new carb and it's purring like a kitten. Maiden is tomorrow.

Moral of the story, don't mess with the metering needle on the carb.

Al
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Muttdog

ORIGINAL: azalner

After a month of trials & tribulations with my DLE-30 I finally installed a new carb and it's purring like a kitten. Maiden is tomorrow.

Moral of the story, don't mess with the metering needle on the carb.

Al
Al, I was sure you would be in the air before me. What happened to your carb, I do not remember coming across any posts about your issue
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a problem with my Syssa muffler bolts too. I fixed it by getting rid of the crush tubes and using much shorter bolts. You can see the mod in my gallery. You may want to do something similar to your muffler if you run out of options.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
azalner

Go to the gas engine forum and find the thread "DLE-30 won't draw fuel". Chapter & verse of my trials and tribulations.

Al
Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 PM
bigwes1962
My Feedback: (1)

maiden took two clicks left ail;. two clicks up ele, balance at 55/8. throws buy the book except rudder and went with all it would throw and 20% expo on rudder only,none on anything else. try red silicone on the threads of the muffler, it will work like the baddest loctite and still come loose when you want it to.the plane floats on landing so get a long approach and let it settle in, it is very easy to land if you give it enough room to settle in.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

maiden took two clicks left ail;. two clicks up ele, balance at 55/8. throws buy the book except rudder and went with all it would throw and 20% expo on rudder only,none on anything else. try red silicone on the threads of the muffler, it will work like the baddest loctite and still come loose when you want it to.the plane floats on landing so get a long approach and let it settle in, it is very easy to land if you give it enough room to settle in.
Regarding floating finals (SO typical for this plane!), plenty of guys have removed their main landing gear trying to slow the plane down - bad plan! Save yourself the trouble of this repair. Move the CG back! It's shown WAY consevative in the directions! You can go back an inch from there easily - without affecting the rest of the way the plane flies or making it unfriendly in any way. This has been well documented earlier, but hasn't been mentioned in quite a while. Thought it something you newbies might want to know about!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes she is a floater with the correct-aft CG!

Here is my last flight with an MA 18x6 on a Saito FA-150S.....I apologise for the quality though!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdxG9Eo7ZE[/youtube]
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM
azalner

Well, it finally happened! Got in three good flights today. Needed 2 beeps of left aileron and she tracked straight and true. Loops, rolls, Split-S, Immelman, Hammerheads - no problem! Did three consecutive slow roll with just a touch of down elevator when inverted. Held altitude nicely. Three consecutive loops without falling off the track. And all of this at half throttle. (DLE-30 with 19x8 XOAR). Now for the fun part. I lined up to land the first time and dropped the throttle to 1 click above idle (2400 rpm). It just flew on by me. Uh-oh what do we have here? Went around again and this time chopped the throttle to idle (1700 rpm). This time it settled into the glide and made the nicest 3 point touchdown and rollout I ever saw. Lands like a trainer.

Now for the downside. My tailwheel assembly came apart. Nothing to do with tailwheel assembly, it just got caught and bent back on restraint. (Don't ask me to explain.)

The canopy came loose. I have to re-glue and secure it with a couple of screws.

The engine is surging in flight, most likely due to pressure surges in the cowl. I will open up the intake more to see if this cures the problem, otherwise I will run a tube from the atmospheric breather on the carb to the interior of the fuse.

All in all a good day at the office. I'm a happy camper.

Al
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Outstanding!   Another one hooked! 

The G.S.Sportster remains my favored relax and enjoy flyer in my stable.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Kostas1

azalner,

well done mate! I am looking forward to seeing your flight video!!!

Kostas1
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Muttdog

That is so great to hear. I hope my first flight is uneventful as well. Hopefully Sunday will be the Day

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Joystick TX

I have flaperons set up on my plane and it shortens the landings quite a bit.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
dkm

Has anyone tried putting the Super Sportster on Floats ?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Charlie P.

Not yet, but Ihave a Maxford Mentor-Gon the workbench at the moment with the same wingspan and the floats look to be suitable for the GSS Imay play with them and see if it works. They are 38" long.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/hz-40-fiber-floats-3-1.aspx

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all!

I am the proud new owner of a GSS brand new in box, bought it from tower. I have read through the thread, and gotten a lot of good info, such as toss the LG, I am using a dle 30, use ball link and flying wires, better hinges,Robart control horns, etc. I bought this because I had a hangar 9 taylorcraft with an 85.5 inch wingspan that I owned for 2 weeks before crashing it . I was doing hammerheads in a tail heavy condition, and got bit doing them too low. So I bought something which is hopefully more tolerant and forgiving for me to just kind of toss around the sky, but be relaxing.

The landing gear from my old taylorcraft may work well. But instead of flying wires, I wonder if the nice stiff pieces of aluminum that hangar 9 used to brace their tail would work?

I also have a very nice tail wheel that I will be using on the sportster.

I chose power hd 8309tg servos for the tail and will be using the power hd 1501 servos in the ailerons.

Any helpful input that you guys have would be great!

Let me know - no pride here. I want to build a bird that I'll keep for as long as humanly possible. I am 26, and would love to teach my kids to fly on it (btw, I don't have kids yet)

Thanks!

Chris

Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Charlie P.

I'm still flying the stock gear and it's holding up well.  Only nuisance is transporting the wings - with a wheel & strut in each.

Don't know what to tell you about the Hobby King servos.  I stick to Futaba or HiTec and have never beed disappointed (or glitched).
Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Kostas1

Chris excellent!

Keep us posted with your progress on the GSS...I guess everyone likes to see new GSS members coming through the assembly process and give helpful advice!

Kostas1
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Muttdog

Chris:
If you have read over the seventy some pages of info in this thread then you know pretty much all there is to know about this plane. It was invaluable for me, especially making the modifications. You definitely do not need to do the landing gear mod. I did it because it makes it much easier to transport, it offers some "suspension" qualities to help absorb some shock and in my view, it belongs on the fuselage. If I could make one suggestion look at how Imounted my DLE engine somewhere around page 70 of this thread. Most guys use wood blocks but I milled down the stock mounts (for the fuji) and made them work with the stock DLE mounts. This is a very lightweight, strong and efficient way to mount the engine that leaves a lot of room behind the engine. I also got lucky in that I needed no lead ballast when balancing the plane. You donot need a milling machine like I used, a hacksaw and some calipers could do the same job (just not as easily).Unfortunately Istill have not maidened my plane yet. The plan was to go out yesterday AM but ran into a major issue. Got everything loaded in the truck but before Iput the radio into my truck I wanted to do one last radio check. The reason being is that I have been working on another plane this week and wanted to make sure that I had the correct plane selected and everything was working. Well when Idid that the right elevator servo started fluttering like mad and then jammed into the full down position. I thought it was a bad servo but when Iwas jiggling the wires in the tail I was able to duplicate the issue (it was intermittent) . After I removed the servo and plugged it back in everything works fine and Icannot get it to do it again. Not sure about this one yet.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the crowd! I think you've found a plane that can be thrashed regularly, but lands like a favorite trainer. True to it's heritage of the smaller versions that have been around forever, this is one great sport plane!

Regarding the alum. tail braces, not familiar with the ones you're talking about. All I can tell you is that without them the gas powered versions of this plane shake those tail surfaces around like a rag doll. If you made them long enough to go out about 2/3's the length of the fixed vertical and horizontal surfaces, I don't know why that wouldn't work? Stress cracks at/near the attach points might become an issue eventually (some of these planes have huge time on them!), but that's nothing you can't keep an eye on. Worst case, they turn out to be a PIA and you replace them with wire or rod using the same attach points....

Regarding servos, I'm having some pretty good luck with Hobbyking's HXT12K servos. Have them in 2 different planes now. Not here to take any grief over any problems others have had with them. All I'll say is I haven't had one let go yet, they center well enough for me, they have all the power you would ever ask for - and being digital, they're PIGS when it comes to power consumption. You'll need a system capable of supplying amperage to power them! A pair of 2200 NiMh minimum!

Best of luck with the new plane! -Al
Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 PM
dkm

My searching on the web sugget that floats need to be 70-80% of fuse length,
that makes then 50-56" long for the GSS.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Not yet, but Ihave a Maxford Mentor-Gon the workbench at the moment with the same wingspan and the floats look to be suitable for the GSS Imay play with them and see if it works. They are 38" long.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/hz-40-fiber-floats-3-1.aspx
Thefloats in that linkare for a 60-90 sized plane; they would be way to small for the GSS.

I did some float flying on two of my planes. Floats that are too small make takeoffs and landings very difficult. You will needfloats rated for 15-20 lbs or 120-180 sized planes. They also need to be securely mounted so they don't flex like springy landing gear.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Muttdog

Hey guys I need some advice. I tried to maiden my GSS this weekend but a final radio check before leaving revealed the right elevator servo was going crazy. It had done this once to me during the build but I had a y connector to make things easier for setup and when Idisconnected it from that y connector everything seemed fine so I chalked it up to the connector. Since then the radio has been on a ton as I did all of the remaining setup as well as about 20 minutes running the engine and doing some ground handling tests with zero issues. I had completely forgotten about the issue and was not worried about it. Once it acted up again, Icancelled the flight.After getting it back on the bench it was still failing but then it stopped. I reached into the fuse and grabbed where the extension plugs into the servo lead and shook it. To my surprise I could make the servo fail at will by shaking the connector. I thought Eureka that was it and all I had to do was pull the servo and inspect the connection. The only issue is that when Iremoved the servo, it never failed again no matter what I did to it. Inever removed the heat shrink from the connector and tried not to pull to hard on it when removing but once it was out there were no more failures. I then removed the heat shrink and inspected the connection and cannot see anything wrong. I am using hitec HS-77BB servos and until I can come up with something the plane is gounded. Anyone have any ideas? What would happen is the servo would start almost vibrating with the control surface moving rapidly up and down but within a second or 2 it would end up all the down and I could hear the servo straining like it was stalled.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 AM
azalner

The HS-77BB is inappropriate for your application. You should be using metal gear servos.

In addition it appears that you have an intermittent connection to the feedback pot. Pitch the servo, it aint worth keeping!

I used Hitec HS-5485HB servos in a 30cc powered Edge 540. Flew it for two seasons before I re-kitted it. (Rolling harrier 10 ft off the ground - oops) I don't reuse servos after a bad crash. The HS-5485HB are digital with Karbonite gears and are very reasonably priced with almost twice the torque as the HS_77BB.

My advise - get rid of the HS-77's.

Al

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.