Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2711

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

This cracks me up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37649.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	1788935  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He was likely flying it while monitoring the video of those push rods flexing? Pic was probably taken right after he kissed the ground while stepping out of it....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you see that video of the flexing linkages? Yikes! The whole time I watched, I kept saying, "Land it. Land it now..."

~ Jim ~[8D]
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You had to mention the flexing rods!

Name:	Ay73749.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	1788947  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[&:]
    Coffee through nose. Thanks....[&:][&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, THAT'S why he went out and bought a new car instead. I knew I saw him on the commercials.

~ Jim ~[8D]
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I have a strange one for you. Now that my Family has left and my home remodeling is nearing completion Iwanted to get my GSSback in the air. Unfortunately my dirt bike bit me this weekend and Isplit my knee cap open clear to the bone. 14 stitches and a few vicodins prevented me from not only flying my other plane but alsoworking on the GSS as well. Here is the problem. When Ihad the plane upside down in my cradle Imust have pushed too hard on something and the plane was not centered correctly in the stand so Icracked one of the stringers that goesfrom the rear of the cockpit to the tail.The break is right behind the cockpit rear wall and it is the very top stringer. Now I can stick my hand in there and feel it but Ihave no way to get any CA in there. Any ides on how to fashion an extension to a CAbodel or any other way to deliver the glue? I cannot use Epoxy as the it is not 100% broken, just cracked so Ifigure some thin penetrating CA should so the trick if only I can get it to the spot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

Hey guys I have a strange one for you. Now that my Family has left and my home remodeling is nearing completion IΒ*wanted to get my GSSΒ*back in the air. Unfortunately my dirt bike bit me this weekend and IΒ*split my knee cap open clear to the bone. 14 stitches and a few vicodins prevented me from not only flying my other plane but alsoΒ*working on the GSS as well. Here is the problem. When IΒ*had the plane upside down in my cradle IΒ*must have pushed too hard on something and the plane was not centered correctly in the stand so IΒ*cracked one of the stringers that goesΒ*from the rear of the cockpit to the tail.Β*The break is right behind the cockpit rear wall and it is the very top stringer. Now I can stick my hand in there and feel it but IΒ*have no way to get any CA in there. Any ides on how to fashion an extension to a CAΒ*bodel or any other way to deliver the glue? I cannot use Epoxy as the it is not 100% broken, just cracked so IΒ*figure some thin penetrating CA should so the trick if only I can get it to the spot.

Make sure the stringer is in place properly then poke a small hole in the top side of the covering where the crack is and drip some CA thru the hole. The stringer will harden up and you'll hardly ever notice the hole.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey MD

Sorry to hear about your dust up with the dirt bike. As a veteran of numerous knee surgeries I can empathize.

One of the negatives about the GSS is you have to lay it on its back to attach the wing (or to do anything at all with the innards). That stringer is very vulnerable and it's going to happen again, even if you manage to squeeze a little juice in there.

My suggestion is to remove the covering between the bulkheads down to the stringer on either side of the top stringer. Now glue in a stiffener under the top stringer between the bulkheads and re-cover. Fortunately it's white and blends in quite easily. If you don't feel like buying a whole roll of covering for a minor repair, PM me with your address and I'll send you some white monokote.

Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would generally go in from the bottom for a repair like that? That might allow you to back that stringer up a little as well. FWIW, -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would use a "sister" stringer of similar sized balsa placed beside or on the inner edge of the snapped stringer and glue it in place with Titebond or other wood glue.  It will give you time to align the piece and you can get it in place one handed.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your local hobby shop should have some CA solutions for applying glue to a remote area. I'm assuming that you can get enough tools in there to straighten the stringer out or to hold it straight, but you can't get your regular glue bottle in there. Your hobby shop guy can show you capillary tubes that can carry the glue deep inside where you need it. Once the stringer is straight, some thin CA should lock it.

You could also 'piggyback' it with a sister stringer after that, as Charlie described. That won't show from outside the model.

Pick up a Sullivan cradle for giants. They're much better for models like these, the pieces 'adjust' to conform to the model, and they spread out the pressure on the model. That should minimize these occurrences in the future.

~ Jim ~[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To be honest it is really not too bad. The stringer is still held in place as it is not a clean break, just a crack. If Ican use a tube to get som CAin there, Ican use a long dowel or even a long screwdriver to press on the stringer from outside the fueselage and that will hold everything together as the CAsets. Doubling it with some epoxy is not a bad idea and Imay do that as well but Ithink CA wil be the best to repair the boken pieces as Ineed the quick set. I will see what the hobby shop has today. I hear ya on the stand and Iknew better. Normally I make sure that the weight is being supported by the ply formers but this time Iwas not paying attention.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Muttdog,

I try to be careful about how I place mine, but sometimes you're looking at one thing and don't realize you're pressing on another. It happens to us all. The large white-foam Robart cradle (sorry, I think I was wrong when I called it a Sullivan) does a great job of keeping breaks from happening.

I especially like the, "Oooo, what was that cracking noise?" when you can't figure out where it came from.

I agree with you, you just need some thin CA to soak into the wood and then harden it in the right position. Stringers aren't supposed to be super-strong, they're built that way to be light and collectively strong.

~ Jim ~[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey muttdog i know that hobbytown usa used to carry 6" long capilary tubes with abulb at the end. take the nozzel off your thin ca bottle. stick the capilary tubedown in the ca squeeze the bulb and suck out the ca. then squirt the ca along the broken stringer!!! hope that helped. auggiedog

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I appreciate all of the advice. I did not make it to the HS to see what they had but will try today. a 6 inch extension tube would be perfect.Anyone know of the NGK equivalent spark plug for the DLE 30 and where to get it. I believe it is the CM6 and I thought I remember reading someone saying it can be purchased at Napa. I know my HS does not carry them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ngk cm6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most of the discount auto suppliers have/can get them. The ones I've stopped at struggle with just the NGK CM 6 info. They need an application? Tell them small Honda generator. That will lead them right to it. -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Most of the discount auto suppliers have/can get them. The ones I've stopped at struggle with just the NGK CM 6 info. They need an application? Tell them small Honda generator. That will lead them right to it. -Al
    When I'm looking for something for one of my weird hobby projects, I like to tell them It's for a "linear particle accelerator that I'm building." It's fun to see the expression on their face.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I did a little research and have some info to share. most auto shops will not be able to search by spark plug names as that would be too easy. They must have a model to search for. The Honda E300 K1 generator is a good choice to use. Also the NGK part number for the CM-6 is 5812 and the Napa part number is NGK 5812. I am an NGK dealer but none of my vendors stock that plug so if my local Napa does not have it avalable I will simply order from my local Honda dealer. The Honda part number is 98052-56471 and it retails for $5.05

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,

I just put the New Style CNC muffler on my Syssa, and I took a few photos. It fits perfectly where the old one did, so no carving on the cowling, thank goodness.

~ Jim ~[8D]

Name:	Om33380.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	1789964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22553.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	320.0 KB 
ID:	1789965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55539.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	1789966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd88473.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	1789967  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all, 

I lost my sportster! I flew right after it rained and I am pretty sure some part of the ignition got wet and caused noise. It was only after a flight and after taking it out for a proper landing approach that I lost control the first time. I was high enough that a tx power cycle brought it back, but only for a second and it went in at failsafe. Good news is that only te aiframe and some accessories was lost( flying wire, etc). All my equipment, including my engine will only require minimal parts (I'll replace the carb just to make sure of not having issues. It landed on very soft marsh.

The medium pinned hinges I used actually tore the trailing edge off the wing and held very well!!!

I found another on rcu use that I am picking up this weekend. She will fly again!!!

Best, 

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,

Sorry to hear that.[&o] I hope you're back in the air soon.

~ Jim ~[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hope your repairs are speedy and smooth.

I've been flying another gasser on floats and the last time up my never-a-hic engine dropped to idle during takeoff and later when airborne for a few seconds.  Never even thought it could have been EMF noise or related from splashed wires and circuits that dropped me to failsafe.  Hmmmm.  Something I'll have to watch out for.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charlie, are you still flying 72 mHz? Or are you flying 2.4 these days?

~ Jim ~[8D]

Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast