For what it's worth I was using a SmartFly high current switch with 12 gauge input wiring out to two 22 gauge servo power taps. This was the nicest single switch I felt safe using. I charged the 3000 mAh life pack 3 flights prior - a flight only draws 250 mAh and the pack is still fine now after the crash. The reason I know it's not the battery was because I checked after the crash - pack took about 650 mAh in a charge after the crash. I always ensure that I have sufficient power to my setups, testing either with my telemetry by holding the surfaces at STALL current and making sure I do not drop below 5.0 volts. This setup never got below 6.2 volts at stall current - the life battery in question is capable of 20c discharge sustained. Switch was also tested post crash. If current was the fail safe reason, rebooting the TX would not have done anything, but it reconnected long enough to change course back toward the field. The only think that would have verified this was to have completely cut the engine all together, which I did not think to do. Next time I'll fail safe to ign off...
Lots of good info has come from this and I am hoping that others learn from this as well. I have not flown sixe the crash, but I will thoroughly test my DX8 prior to flying again.