Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2711

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

LiFe = A123

Genuine A123 batteries are a brand name (though I believe it's leased to a couple different manf's) are generally accepted to be state of the art/best available.

Here's a link to the cells I've been using and guy I've been getting them from. Was dealing with him originally on fleabay, have since gone direct. Seems to be a pretty good guy, and he's state side, Ohio I think? http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/serv...LLS/Categories

A123 (aone) stock is tanking, about to be delisted by the way.... they were clobbered by some kind of big automotive recall.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok good to hear. I most likely will use the LifeSource batteries as long as the reviews are goodbecause Ihave a very good relationship with my LHS and he stocks them (and recommends). I see that these need to be balance charged so does that mean the standard charging jack from a switch will not work? Normally that will not be a problem except when I am at the field and cannot access the balance connector.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, to balance charge the charger needs to be able to read the voltage on each of the cells seperately. That's the function of that 3rd wire.

To charge only, the balance lead is not necessary. Just the negative and positive, so you can field charge, but it's reading the combined voltage. That's OK, but balance charging is considered better for max performance and battery life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use an Mpi heavy duty switch and always balance charge the batteries in the plane. I use a Cellpro 4s with a modified connector. You have to cut the white wire going from the switch to the receiver.

AlZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63309.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	1796345  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Jim, I'm not up on what's been available as far as chargers up to this point, so no clue as to the capabilities of them or the one you have. I can tell you the one I have doesn't need any accessories to balance charge accurately, and the display will keep you abreast of what's going on both while charging and afterward.

The thought is, before going out and buying any accessories for your's to do this, you might want to have a look at this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

FYI - There's 2 versions of this same charger, this is the aluminum body one. The other one is plastic.

The white balancing port on the side of it has a 3 pin male output for balancing a 2 cell (6.6v) battery. I used a long Futaba servo extension to plug that in to. The other end of the extension will plug in to my HD switch's charge port, which is connected to a Futaba connection soldered to the batteries. Red and black go where you would imagine they might, white is used as the balance wire, is soldered to the jumper between cell one and cell 2. This all makes for a less cluttered setup?

Taken a step further, my setup uses 2 Futaba leads coming from a single battery (plenty of power IMHO), white wire set up as balance lead. They lead to 2 HD switches w/charge ports. The white wires on the receiver side of the switches MUST BE CUT to eliminate the potential for 3.3v to tangle with the signal wire on the receiver buss! This leaves you with the ability to balance charge without reaching inside the plane for anything. You simply plug in the leads from the charger to the charge ports.

Yes, and thanks for the thought regarding the band aids....

-Al
    Hi Al,

I already have two good chargers for this, a Thunder Power TP610C, which does a good job and has a balancer board, but is frustrating to get around in, and it looks much like what you're showing me here, and it's in an aluminum case. My second one (and the one I like) is a Triton 2, which so far has been much easier to use for my NiMh and NiCad purposes. Both have a balance board. I think I've been using the TP for my single small electric LiPo. I guess I'll have to wait and see which best suits this new setup.

You listed a lot of stuff here. The thing that caught my eye is that you cut one of the wires from the switches. This would be a problem with my JR/Spektrum setups, as they requires all three wires in a switch lead to bind the radio and Rx. But I can see the convenience factor from losing the one wire, and we charge all the time, and bind rarely. So, the charger must use only a two-wire charge lead to balance charge properly. Real food for thought there. Oddly, I buy ALL three-wire harnesses because of the binding.

As for the Band Aids; hey, that's what we're here for!

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT LANDING GEAR YOU HAVE AND THE SIZE OF THE WHEELS

TKS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a website that has A123 batteries, chargers and charge leads. I use this equipment in most of my aircraft including the GP Sportster.
    It has never caused any problems. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml.
    Good stuff.

Galen

All of the modification details are in my gallery.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JZHANDYMAN

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT LANDING GEAR YOU HAVE AND THE SIZE OF THE WHEELS

TKS
    I have added aftermarket gear to mine. I use aluminum gear from a giant ugly stick, and my wheels are about two sizes larger than normal. I'm guessing 3.5"

~ Jim ~[8D]
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stock location and the tires that came with the kit. Just measured them, about 3.75"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go back to around page 69 and you will see several different versions of how we all did it. I used stock wheels and pants with a basic Aluminum undercarriage that I do not know what plane it was for but I suspect it was for a .90 size plane as the aluminum was not thick enough. I added some music wire to give it the required strength. Like the battery debate, there are lots of ways to do it. I suspect that if you want to fly from grass strips bigger wheels without the pants is better but it does look a little clown car-ish - IMHO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wheels are like many things, the bigger the better

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: booker-RCU

Here's a website that has A123 batteries, chargers and charge leads. I use this equipment in most of my aircraft including the GP Sportster.
    It has never caused any problems. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml.
    Good stuff.

Galen
    I was looking for this a minute ago and of course couldn't find it - the NoBS battery page. A great read on batt. technology as it applies to us.

http://www.hangtimes.com/weightcompare.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VERY good. I bookmarked it. Thanks, Al.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I checked mine, I'm running 4-inch wheels.

~ Jim ~

My GSS is down for maintenance. There were around 2,200 flights on this plane and it was looking pretty bad. Since I need to have a rod bearing in the engine replaced, I decided to pull off the old Monokote and recover it with Worldtex. I also ordered a new cowl and canopy since they are pretty beat up.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey.

That's going around. I just had my own new cowl and canopy arrive a few days ago. I just bought some rolls of Monokote too.

You got enough hours on the Syssa that it needs a bearing? Whoa.

I ask you this, people. When all the rest of us crash our birds, WHO wears out an R/C plane's engine, and then has it rebuilt to go back for more?

Only Joystick. What an animal! LOL

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wore out my first cowl and have a replacement ready to fit . . . just stretching the old one as long as possible (and been awful busy at work & with Honey Dos)..
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new one here that's been getting dusty for quite a while. A year at least. I checked to make sure the tripes lined up and then put it away!

I'm tellin' you guys, putting a new cowl on is bad ju ju! One that's showing a few battle scars is much less likely to attract more of them! Just sayin....
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, then, my old girl is in good shape then - even WITH a new cowl. And canopy. Still enough battle scars left to go around. I believe that a girl is prettier with a few scars - it adds character.

~ Jim ~

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I have a new one here that's been getting dusty for quite a while. A year at least. I checked to make sure the tripes lined up and then put it away!

I'm tellin' you guys, putting a new cowl on is bad ju ju! One that's showing a few battle scars is much less likely to attract more of them! Just sayin....
    -Al
    I just hate to put on the old beat up dirty cowl and canopy on a newly covered airftrame.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup. Exactly.

~ Jim ~

Got all the Monokote striped off the plane parts. Found a couple of spars in the turtle deck that were not glued in. There were quite a few places around the hinges thatshowed indications that water had gotten past thecovering material. I fly from a grass field and my plane gets wet about 80% of the time due to flying in the morning right after the sprinklers shut off. It also picks up a lot of dirt.

Getting the Robart hinge points out was easy using the brass tube and drill method.

I just had to remove the old LG blocks in the wing, don't need them since my gear is fuselage mounted. They were easy due to being glued in with hot glue instead of epoxy. No, the removal of them will not weaken my wing enough to cause any concerns. The D-tube construction and wing-tube provide more than enough strength for the wing. According to my engineering TLAR math, there is at least a 50% safety reserve.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40213.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	1797203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89811.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1797204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kq35960.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1797205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80261.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	1797206  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have tead some posts where they reinforced the tail formers in the fuse etc, do you plan on doing any of this now, I have flying wires, but the rear of the plane still vibrates some

So far I haven't found any reinforcement necessary. I also checked the wood in the horizontal stab, it is wayharder than the wood on my first stab. The stringers behind the cockpit are pretty hard wood, never had any of them break. I have brass tube inserts where the flying wires bolt on, those points have alsoheld up well.

I may take off the fuselage LG block and hollow it out some to cut down onthe weight. The Worldtex and paint are going to addmore weightto the plane. I'd like to cancel out some of that gain by reducing some weightin other places. My old fuselage, with the rudder and stab, came in at exactly 4 lbs. I would like to not go much over that with the new covering.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast