Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 86 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2711

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Thanks, be sure to take pics so we can see it when its done!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joystick,

You really have it torn down! Looking good. I'll follow your photos and posts.

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is some video footage taken the other day.

Hurricane Isaac was rolling up the gulf, and the winds were crazy intense. I love flying in the wind, usually the more, the better. But these winds. . . wow.

I took my Giant Super Sportster out. It turned out to be a lot of fun. Until that little power wire incident[X(], that is.

This is some footage of earlier in the day. I hope you like it. Sorry about the camera work. The cameraman was a volunteer. He'd never used a camera like mine before, but he did the best he could.

The Super Sportster kicked butt in the winds, and the Syssa 30CC was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJs-K4HvyjY

~ Jim ~
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool vid. Looks like you had a 3 foot takeoff roll in that heavy wind. I finally got my GSS back in the air this weekend but only got one good flight in. The engine died as I advanced the throttle to take off for the second flight and I could not get it running without choke after that. I could clearly see this was a fuel/carb issue rather then the original ignition issue but Iwas ready to pull my hair out nontheless. Luckily I still brought my glow powered Jupiter and flying that relaxed the nerves a bit. When Igot home I was thinking I would pull the carb off and take a look but before I did that Iwanted todouble check the fuel supply. Sure enough my fuel can was full of water. Turns out that the week before I tested the engine on my patio and left the fuel jug outside with the vent open. A few days later tropical storm Isaac came through South Florida and drenched us with unreal amounts of rain and of course my fuel can was sitting out there with the vent open sucking in as much water as it could. Now my pride is a little damaged but fortunately the plane is ready to go and Idid not have to take it back apart so in the end it is a lesson learned that did not cost me dearly. Now when Igo back to the field Ihave to eat some crow as one of the guys there said he thought it was contaminated fuel and Iwas adamant that was not possible!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might want to pump a little fuel-alcohol like HEET into your tank, shake it, and then pump it all out again, to get out any remnants of the water. The alcohol will absorb the water and carry it out with it.

Not sure what to tell you about clearing whatever water is left out of the carb, short of taking it apart. I'm sure some of the guys must have dealt with something like this before.

Have any of you guys had to deal with contaminated fuel before?

If it happened to me, my immediate course of action, after clearing the tank out, would be to get a nice, fresh batch of fuel, and get that engine running with it right away, to clear out any residual water from the bearings/crankcase/cylinder/piston/ring, etc.

Do you guys think some after-run oil would be in order? I'd worry about scale-rust on the piston ring, but I'm the nervous sort. Did I mention anal-retentive? lol

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim:
    I was very careful in removing all old fuel from the tank and I made sure it is 100% clear. I then put in a fresh tank of fuel and ran her hard for about 5 minutes. That is all that is required. Very little water traveled through the carb as the orifices inside are so small that it has a hard time passing through and any that does get through passes harmelssly through the engine. Any residuals would boil off as the engine comes up to temp. There is a possibility that the carb can still hold a small amount of water in it but because it does not have a float boal and Iam pretty familiar with this carb that should not be the case. The big issue would have been if Igot it in the air before it sucked up that slug of water in the tank. Glad I ran her up one more time before takeoff - Without that it would have run out of power about 3 feet off the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That WOULD have been bad. That's always the spot where we're the most vulnerable. Not enough altitude to maneuver for a landing, and no power to change that.

Glad to hear you've got her back in running order. Next weekend should be much better.

Our hobby is like fishing; it seems that lies go with the territory ("I meant to do that." "I had a brownout." "That was probably a downdraft." "We've got wind-shear today. . ." ).

Just tell the guys you had a bad spark plug! Odds are, none of them can read anyway, and what are the chances they'd be on RCU?

lol

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's ok I we can all have a laugh at my expense. If it's between that or a crash then let the crap talking fly!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the big holes from the landing gear block removal covered up, sort of. Hey, it's on the bottom, I never see that anyway..

Maybe the heat got to me, but I did drill some holes in the 3/4"x4" pine landing gear block to make it a little lighter. Took off about 3 oz. That should make up for some of the weight that will be added with the new covering material.All the holes from the Robarts drill points are also plugged up.

Seems like I can't put off the covering any more, so I guess I'll start that tomorrow. The temp in the shop was 105 degrees today, maybe I won't need the hot air gun, just lay the fabric over the plane and let it shrink on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db86015.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1798542  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm loving the "in the bones" images.  Great reference.

So, watcha gonnado for a covering/color scheme?  
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wish I enjoyed covering and putting on trim like most people, but my plan is to cover it with basic white and try to get at leastone star ray on the top of the wing and a stripe on the bottom so I can tell which is which in the air.

Back in the sixties, I used to fly CL stunt and spend hundreds of hours on a fancydesign and trying to make silkspan look like glass. I guess I got burnt out. All I want now is a functional plane.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Somebody said the hardest job is getting started on it? Just a hunch, but betting your covering job turns out nicely!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did a "fair" covering job when Monokote first came out. No painting, no wet sanding, etc. Lots of colors, easy to trim. It looked great with very little work. Last yearI got rid of a Goldberg Eagle that I covered many, many years ago. It looked brand new, it was still drum tightand there was not a wrinkle on it, even after hanging in my garage in the Texas heat for several years.

The "new" Monokote just does not stick to the wood as good, it does not stay taunt in the heat, nor is it nearly as flexable when heated. The old Monokote needed to be sanded off, if you pulled it off some wood would come with it, the new stuff just pulls off.

This will be my first use of Worldtex, hope it goes well.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve,

What you said brought back memories. I remember when every single plane was a labor of love, and no detail was too small.

Like you, I know I'm a good coverer (or at least I used to be real good), but that drive-to-detail-it just isn't that strong.

As far as the Monokote goes, there's not much we can do about it not being too flexible. It doesn't shrink as well, now, either. At least we know to try and get it stretched tight right up front, which helps minimize the wrinkles.

I did discover something that I like to use on the spots where it's critical that the covering sticks. I'm sure we've all used it for the occasional trim malfunction, to secure a stubborn covering edge. The Black Baron Balsarite balsa conditioner, film formula. I use it on my recover jobs too, when I'm concerned that the film might not stick real well. Particularly helpful when I used to recover glow birds where the oils had seeped into the wood. I'm using it right now, in fact, on the tighter edges of the GSS as I prepare to put fresh covering on it after repairs, and along the edges of the turtledeck.

My repairs are nearly finished, on the fuselage, at least. All the doublers and braces are in place, and the sanding is nearly completed.

Did you keep your old trim starburst designs for templates? If not, let me know. I think I can get a set of templates for you off of my wings. I'm worried that I won't get that line down the side of the fuse as straight as it should be! I guess I'm not ENTIRELY burnt out, though, as there IS this little voice saying, "You know, you could run TWO lines down that side, and just give it that little extra something. . . " Lol, we'll see about that. I just want the old girl back in flying shape.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Old builder here too.......
    For reasons already mentioned, I've learned Monokote is to be used for repairs only, then only to match existing. Otherwise, I go Ultracote exclusively. Still not as good as it once was (I have some 20 year old + rolls to prove that), it is the lesser of the available evils, and my "go to" of choice for covering projects. I know the "tex" materials are easier to use, but prefer the gloss finish, ability to hide seams easier, and the lighter finished weights of the "cotes". That's me though... -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Old builder here too.......
    For reasons already mentioned, I've learned Monokote is to be used for repairs only, then only to match existing. Otherwise, I go Ultracote exclusively. Still not as good as it once was (I have some 20 year old + rolls to prove that), it is the lesser of the available evils, and my ''go to'' of choice for covering projects. I know the ''tex'' materials are easier to use, but prefer the gloss finish, ability to hide seams easier, and the lighter finished weights of the ''cotes''. That's me though... -Al

Heck, YES.

If this Giant Super Sportster wasn't still in outstanding shape around the tail feathers and throughout the nose and wings overall, I'd be buying and using Ultracote for the recover. I MUCH prefer it to any of the other coverings; it stretches better, goes around compound corners and curves better, pretty much all-around better. Also, when up north in the cold, the Monokote punctures from the stiff bits of dead grass going towards winter (and IN the winter), and in the spring.

The fabrics are nice for scale projects, but they involve priming, sanding, and painting. I'm VERY, VERY good at that, and it's a truckload of work, and I don't do it anymore. Period. The pre-painted fabrics, if they haven't changed in the last ten years, are horrid, heavy, and a nightmare. Used them one year, back in the nineties, and the entire club swore off them the next year.

Rats. The big brown truck just showed up - with the WRONG spinner from Tru-Turn. Errgh. Anybody want a 3-1/2" red Ultimate style spinner, custom cut for Xoar props?

***SIGH*** - Back it goes. . .

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I added some balsa to the wing saddle area. The lite ply was cutting into the wing, this will provide more area and reduce that in the future. I had to fill in the slots they made in the wing.

Did I tell you I flew from a wet muddy field? You can see the stains on the wing where the dirt got past the covering which was cut by the lite ply.

At least I got started on the covering. Temp outside was 102, only 107 in the shop. Part of my weight loss plan.

Name:	Pn35774.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1798717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62938.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1798718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36602.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1798719  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good on you mate! I spent two tours of duty doing consulting work in Jewett, TX. I hooked up with a retired tool & die maker who lived midway between Jewett and College Station. He had a small garage in back of his house that he had converted to his model airplane workshop. No AC! Just a fan. Funny how you can adapt to the heat sipping brewskies and sweating your cojones off. And that was just in his workshop.

On weekend mornings and evenings we would boogie down to College Station to do some flying. The winds were a given. If you couldn't fly in the wind, you couldn't fly. Other than that, the flying was great unless you ditched in the rough. Did I mention fire ants?

I could regale you with stories about scorpions in my shoes and rattlers sleeping in the storm door tracks. But my hat is off to the RC flyers of Texas, a great bunch of dedicated guys (you know who you are).

AlZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The covering job was going very slow, so I brought in an "expert."

He told me not to monkey around and get busy.

Name:	Tr50909.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1798983  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scary how that little guy gets around.

{{{shiver}}} - j-just scary.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah. There was one of those sock monkeys at my Grandma's house 50 years ago that was outright creepy.

Wonder if it's the same one . . .
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does he like the heat also?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Put the monkey to sleep and get on with the thread subject, please.
    dwreel
    AMA 70251
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #146.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dwreel

Put the monkey to sleep and get on with the thread subject, please.

Good idea, this is a serious subject here, quit monkeying around. No pun intended, at least as far as you know. Do you guys think this forum is put up just for fun? I could have solved all the world's problems if I had not been distracted by useless posts and wasted my valuable brain power. At my age I don't have many active brain cells left so I need to be selectiveabout what I focus on.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, got to stay on the subject and not get off track, they are ruthless about finding that: Syssa, engine, airplane, blah, blah, blah, etc. If you have two batteries, you need two switches. Maybe I could have had my plane covered by now.>>

Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve, we should be ashamed of ourselves and crawl off into our respective corners, shamed because we dropped the ball and went off-topic, dashing upon the rocks and forever ruining what was obviously a hot string of on-topic Giant Super Sportster thread activity.

Hugging our Giant Super Sportster fuselages to us, of course, and our sock-puppet monkeys held closely to us with our other arms.

~ Jim ~

Page 86 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast