Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2711

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

The Sullivan's work great, and they're really tough.

But there IS a secret to it. Don't use the recommended size. Use the next weight range up.

I find when I use the recommended weight class that it likes to "fold over" sideways all the time.

I'm pretty sure I went with at least the 10 to 22 Lb weight range, if not the next one up, for mine.

They steer really well. Best I've seen.

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

Can you guys recommend a better tail wheel assembly for this plane? Mine seems to bend the control rod from the rudder quite easily
    I went through three tailwheels on my plane, the Sulivan type did not last a long time. My gallery has a picture of the type I'm using now. It has several thousand landings on it and is doing well.
    Yup that is the one I put on my old Patty, like I said they are tough as nails.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see I am not the only one who has wadded up the OEM tail wheel. We had no wind this weekend and everyone seemed to be running long on landings. I ran off the end twice but it wasn't bad. The engine was still running but the tail wheel was jacked up pretty good. I re-bent it but it seemed to bend easier the second time. With all of these options is there any mods that need to be done to the fuselage to mount it or is there enough strong wood in that area to mount screws into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone who has used the Stearman gear have you ever seen the gear with all the fiberglass removed? I had one about 4 years ago and the outer fiberglass split but I glued it back together and touched up the paint. What I am thinking it to use the Stearman gear but remove all the fiberglass and paint them all white. Only thing is I don't know for sure if the gear is smooth on the inside of the fiberglass or has some weird notches or anything to help hold the fiberglass molding on. If no one has had a set destroyed to see the inside I may have to bite the bullet and buy a set and strip them to find out.
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Muttdog,

If it's too "balsa-ey" back there, try soaking it with thin CA through the screwholes. That usually goes a long way toward toughening the area up. If you don't want to wait or worry, then just skip that part, and epoxy a 1/4" lite ply plate (the kind with lots of layers) right there at the tail, and you can screw anything to it then. Make sure you have it nicely sanded to match the tail area, and make sure you paint it before you mount the tail wheel gear.

~ Jim ~
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did both? I cut a plywood plate a little bigger than the tail gear, laid it in place, cut the monocote, then countersunk it so it would be flush. A little monocote patch covered my work, and it's worked well for a few seasons now....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did forget to mention that you need to remove material to give it a place to go, as Al did.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, here's the report on my next foray with the GSS. It was the backward expo! Flew like a dream. Here's my take so far:

1. Needs more power; I bought the Fuji 32ei with the plane and while it flies OK, I think maybe a DLE 30 may be better.

2. Needs relocation of the landing gear. I slowed it down too much and dropped it pretty hard on the grass runway. Ended up with a punch into the bottom of the wing and both wheel pants cracked in numerous places. I have already bought a gear from a Giant Stick and will do the install like many of you have. I think I'll eliminate the pants for now.

I'm still having trouble with the Fuji starting. I have a Megatron starter and without this, I don't think my arm would hold up. Even after getting it running for the first time of the day, it'll still need the starter if I let it sit a bit. Fires right up within minutes of electric starting, but after that it needs a real spin to go.

Thanks all for your help!
    CB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once you have a gasser tuned, it should start by flipping it by hand.

Make sure you have a good seal on all gas fittings. Did you run the engine for a while before putting it up in the sky? Break-in is pretty important, as is tuning it afterward again. Find a guy in your area who is good with gassers to help you get a sharp tune on it. And remember, most engines like some gas before they'll kick. Learn how to rock the prop, and make sure your choke seals well. The 32 should have plenty of power, that's kind of a red flag right there.

You should find posts in this thread helping you to do the mods for adding gear in front of the wing. Advice: Add threaded inserts or t-bolts for 1/4-20 plastic bolts. Better to pop the gear off if you hit tangled grass or vines than blow out the underneath of the nose. I say this from experience, with my GSS and other birds. 15 pounds rolling forward at 10 MPH is a LOT of torque, and it'll blow out the bottom if you use metal screws. Had to rebuild the underneath of the nose. Brace the plate you use as much as you can.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CB36

OK, here's the report on my next foray with the GSS. It was the backward expo! Flew like a dream. Here's my take so far:

1. Needs more power; I bought the Fuji 32ei with the plane and while it flies OK, I think maybe a DLE 30 may be better.

2. Needs relocation of the landing gear. I slowed it down too much and dropped it pretty hard on the grass runway. Ended up with a punch into the bottom of the wing and both wheel pants cracked in numerous places. I have already bought a gear from a Giant Stick and will do the install like many of you have. I think I'll eliminate the pants for now.

I'm still having trouble with the Fuji starting. I have a Megatron starter and without this, I don't think my arm would hold up. Even after getting it running for the first time of the day, it'll still need the starter if I let it sit a bit. Fires right up within minutes of electric starting, but after that it needs a real spin to go.

Thanks all for your help!
    CB
    Some thoughts-
    If you're going to replace the Fuji with one you're going to buy, I like the DLE plan, but would go to the newer DLE35 without hesitation. When compared to the 30, there's a little extra power, a Pitts muffler is standard (that's a 70-100. option on the DLE30) and the fact it's a rear exhaust means it will fit a lot of skinny cowls (like the one for the GSS) without hacking them up.

Regarding the Fuji, what prop are you running on it? Have you messed with that to see if you can't pick up a little more performance there? Also, a lean low speed can cause the sometimes very difficult starting you're talking about. To get it to prime/choke more easily, that hole in the choke plate? Solder it closed. It's not necessary. Bumping the prop like Jim mentions should cause the fuel to really jump with that mod done.

I think wheel pants on wing mounted gear are bad ju-ju (especially early test flights!). Jim's right. When you drop a plane this size, something's gonna give. I've bent the crap out of my wing mounted gear (naked!) several times with no other damage - ever. Was pretty nervous regarding the internal mounts early on. To the point I was removing the gear and using a vice to hold them while straightening? Now, if it's not bent too bad, I straighten them with the wing still installed on the fuse and keep flying...

Best of luck! -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would check for air leaks around the carb and insulator block as well. Had that problem with a couple of Fuji's in the past. A 43 that had loose bolts and a 32 with a cracked insulator block. Both were brand new. Once the problem was fixed they would start like any other engine.

As for the DLE35RE that is what I am going with.
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

azalner - See you're still around. Are you still thinking about it, collecting parts, building it, or are you in the air? Looking forward to hearing how that 35 is working! What say you?
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On that lg nylon bolt suggestion....great point. If/when I clean off the gear, how do you get the remainder of the bolt out of the T-nut?

I'll try soldering the choke plate, richer up the low needle, and check for air leaks. The prop is an 18x8, wood.

Thanks all!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That prop sounds a little big to me. I am running 16x8 on my DLE 30 and power is not a problem at all. The pros here will give more input but IMHO sounds like you are over propped. If I am not mistaken those Fuji motors do not make as much power because they the ignition timing is static and they are a fair bit heavier

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Muttdog, a 16x8? Have you had a tach on that? We run those on DLE 20's? Could that be an 18x6? I wouldn't run any smaller than that on a DLE30 - and that's really on the small side. I run an APC 18x8w on mine, and it's considered to be on the small side, turning up over 8200 last time I checked.

Re: the Fuji, I think an 18x6 might make enough difference to be worth the trouble going to it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In answer to the question about getting the remainder of the nylon bolt out, you heat up a flat blade screw driver that you do not have a lot of love for (temper issues) and stab it into the stub of the bolt. It will make a groove that you can use as an improvised screw after the nylon cools. Unfortunately I have had some practice with this technique over the years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man I hate it when my brain takes the day off! Yeah I think it is 18x8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Might want to give these a look. They seem to be awesome in design and appearance. Don't have any first hand experience with them, but plan to in the near future.
    http://www.whiteroseeng.com/products/tf.html
    Steve
    Fly it like you stole it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very trick indeed but at $83 + shipping Ithink that is a little pricey for a tailwheel. I will try some of the options from tower or simply modify the stocker

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those of you that have flown the 40 size and the Giant Super Sportster can you comment on the snap, roll and flat spin characteristics of the GSS? I currently own the 40 size and I really enjoy it but the roll rate and spin characteristics are a little slow. I know these planes will not be as fast on the rates as my 100cc 3D planes but I'm hoping to puttogether a "lively" 30cc sport plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

18x8 is what Fuji recommends for the 32ei. I had zero experience with gas, so took them at their word. Like I said, it flies OK, but my gut is telling me that once I get used to it, I might want a bit more power.

If I can't resolve the starting issue, I'm going to replace the Fuji anyway. Life's way too short, (especially at my age), to put up with such aggravation.

I'm going out of town for 2 weeks, so I won't be able to try all the suggestions until I get back. I did close off the hole in the choke plate today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the cowl trim on, a combo of paint, tapeand trim film. The bad part was that the new cowl had the trim scheme from the original GSS. Naturally that did not line up with my new trim scheme so I had to get creative. It's not perfect, but it will have to do. I couldn'tfind a cowl with no paint and it was too hard to get the paint off the new cowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98485.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1809825  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How did you like the Worldtex? I used it for the first time this year as well. I found with high heat you can stretch it around anything. I hear it does get dirty easy however if it is not clear coated.
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spridal

For those of you that have flown the 40 size and the Giant Super Sportster can you comment on the snap, roll and flat spin characteristics of the GSS? I currently own the 40 size and I really enjoy it but the roll rate and spin characteristics are a little slow. I know these planes will not be as fast on the rates as my 100cc 3D planes but I'm hoping to putÂ*together a ''lively'' 30cc sport plane.

This is a neat sport plane, but it's BIG. Some, (like me) like it because it IS slower? Not sure what "lively" level you're after, but this plane is not going to compare well with Edge or Yak types that are 20-30% smaller/lighter? Built light (I think you could get it under 14lbs with a little effort?) and powered with one of the newest 33-35cc designs, you could have a pretty lively plane though....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I missed that post. While I have not flown the Giant Sportster I have had a 90/120 Sportster for the last 20 some years. The Sportsters are nice flying planes, but as stated are not a hard core acrobat. They are more for old style or "scale type" aerobatics. Mine never did nice "flat" spins as the nose would always point towards the ground in a spin. I have many hard core 3D type planes, but still like to take a plane out that is not an over powered rocket. Sometimes I just like to fly around and enjoy a different type of flying other than 3D or IMAC. To fly to enjoy the simpler side of flying and relax a little. I just ordered mine this week so it will not fly it until next spring as snow and bitter cold will soon be here. I hope my friend decides to get one as we fly a bunch of formation with Giant Sticks that would be a blast with Sportsters. Here are a couple of quick pics of what I mean, we fly "very" close and fast. We ended up having a mid-air about 6 weeks ago where he cut off my tail. It was a total loss. We had a good laugh though as we knew it was coming for a long time. I am half way through finishing my new Stick. A little off topic but they have similar flying characteristics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11663.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1809844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82987.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	1809845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk16337.jpg 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	1809846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn31654.jpg 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1809847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj66017.jpg 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	1809848  

Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast