Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 95 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2699

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Mutt, if I have an issue with subscriptions, it's generally the opposite of the one you're talking about! I'll get notices every five minutes about posts made the day before! The only way I've been able to fix it is to unsubscribe for a couple of days, then subscribe again. That seems to reset the software (mine and the one they use here!) and we're back to normal again! I've been subscribed to some of these threads for years, so it's no surprise when something gets a little sideways....

Glad to here your project worked out for you!

I started on mine, now have the front part done. That's the piece that got rid of the 10 year old nicads and installed the single battery A123 system, bringing my last plane up out of the dark ages regarding it's electrical system. Mine's still running the wing mounted gear, so to get better access to the area just in back side of the firewall (where my batteries and ignition module are now) I installed a hatch that's easily removable - something I should have done when building it originally. New muffler with extensions installed on the trusty Syssa. Hopefully that's the end of that issue too!

Now to build the new control rods and flying wires to lighten the rear a little. Hoping this updating will put the plane just under 14lbs?

Envious of those that get any flying weather this time of year! I am planning on going out New Years day even if there's a blizzard and I bring a plane home in pieces!

Have a Merry Christmas guys!
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is not that you get "unsubscribed" as it shows you are subscribed. You just stop getting the notifications that someone has posted. Then one day you will find the thread and see all the posts that you missed. So at that point you have to unsubscribe and then resubscribe to get them working again. I noticed that the problem started after they did that upgrade or change of servers about a year and a half ago.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks,

What did you use for the muffler extensions? I would like to extend mine a little. Any picutres?

Thanks.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve, just some alum. tubing that fit the ID pretty close and held in place with a bolt on each side? You don't need much, it was scrap I found laying in a corner of the garage. I used larger stuff on the original muffler, to fit over the OD of the outlets. That really looked too big/out of place, and I'm sure it did nothing for noise level. Thus the ID choice this time around.... -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks,

I would like to find some "90's" or "T's" that would fit the stingers. I think the 90 degree turn in the exhaust would help cut down on the noise a little.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine for the Bell Hop and the right wing progress so far. May be a slight delay, it is now snowing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12436.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1833710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48444.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1833711  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're looking for weather related sympathy coming from where I'm sitting, that's just not going to happen! Besides, how else are you going to have time to get any building/fixing done?
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I remember the MI winters very well, spent a few years in Battle Creek and Grosse Ile. I flew year round, but that was when I was younger and tougher. Glow engines were a real pain to start in the winter time. Good thing I had a station wagon, weused to turn on the heat full blast to get the plane and us warm then rush outside and get the engine started as fast as possible. Put in a quick 5 to 10 min flight and back to the van to thaw out. I had a transmitter bag to keep my hands warm. Could use that here sometimes, lost it in one of my moves. Good times.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly year round as well, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere! Wind and below 30 degree temps will give me pause for sure. Now that occasional calm sunny day that comes along? You just never know....
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Boy guys I almost feel bad to say that I am in Sunny South Florida and managed to get a great flight in on Christmas day. I am not riding my MX bike this weekend so planning on the double header as well. We were in the mid 60's on Christmas with zero wind so I really got a good chance to shake the plane down and boy does she fly good. I think my rudder servo is too weak as holding knife edge is difficult at best at full throttle but will work on that later. I am just starting to learn spins and performed my first ones on this plane with no issue. I did come up short on the runway once and thought it would get ugly but it just tweaked the landing gear a little bit. I almost learned the hard way to always have someone or something restrain the plane during startup. Thought the choke was closed so I had throttle opened but choke was not closed so when she started it damn near ripped out of my hand before I could get to the throttle. It was no issue but the field marshal saw it all and made it clear I was breaking club rules. He did not need to tell me as I was already thinking how stupid that was and how it would never happen again! So as it stands other then a small monokote repair my GSS is back in the air and ready for the winter season. We fly all year round here so hopefully the weather Gods will be good to you all as well this season.

As for the subscription I just re subscribed and now am getting the emails. Must have been one of those things.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the concensus here on the all around best servo, not for competition, but something that is easy on the pocket book, and performs well?

I was considering using Futaba S3010's   But I see some have used the Hitec 645MG's (I think those a bit overkill, but not sure) 

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you use a gas engine I would not use anything but MG gear type servos. I did use the HS-485HB servos for several hundred flights, but I changed to the MG type when I had a servo fail. It had an electrical problem, not a gear train problem. There is a video on here that shows the pounding the servo gets from the linkage and control surfaces, it is pretty impressive. I would tell you where is is, but the last time I did that, I got moderated for "spamming."
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

What is the concensus here on the all around best servo, not for competition, but something that is easy on the pocket book, and performs well?

I was considering using Futaba S3010's * But I see some have used the Hitec 645MG's (I think those a bit overkill, but not sure)*

Thanks

Overkill? As in expensive, or torque, or? There are less expensive options with similar features out there, but you may not recognize the brand names?

Steve, Just a guess but I think you can copy and paste that link to a reply here - but they frown on any reference/links to other "flying" websites? I'd do it, but I'm not at home, don't have it bookmarked here. It darn sure illustrates a point!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Steve, Just a guess but I think you can copy and paste that link to a reply here - but they frown on any reference/links to other "flying" websites? I'd do it, but I'm not at home, don't have it bookmarked here. It darn sure illustrates a point!
    Trust me, they do not allow multiple links here either. "Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly in one or multiple forums, is prohibited." I was almost banned from RCU for life because I was trying to be helpful, now I'm on probation for life. I don't know how many "repeately" is but I posted it once already so I can't do it again.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Overkill, as in way more torque than needed. Thus making them more expensive than needed.

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

I was considering using Futaba S3010's But I see some have used the Hitec 645MG's (I think those a bit overkill, but not sure)
    Thanks

Overkill? As in expensive, or torque, or? There are less expensive options with similar features out there, but you may not recognize the brand names?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Steve (and a lot of other guys) regarding the need for metal gears with gas for power. Did you have a less expensive metal gear servo in mind?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, I didnt. I was just curious what servo seemed to be found to work the best. I was getting ready to put in an order, and was having a hard time deciding.

So is the Hitec 645MG's what most would use with a gas engine? Or is there other options that might work too ? I have used Futaba and Hitec and Jr in the past. I do have some Power HD 9150's I have yet to use yet, but they were for a larger project down the road.

I agree with Steve (and a lot of other guys) regarding the need for metal gears with gas for power. Did you have a less expensive metal gear servo in mind?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll be checking these out the next time I need a set. Pretty popular with Troybuilt, and I've read where others have had pretty good luck with this particular servo as well.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm flying Futaba S9001 servos in my GSS.  Plain old Nylon gears.  OK so far.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up with ordering the Hitec HS 645MG 's   Figure I can always use them in a future project, should the SS ever expire on me. 

But now I cannot decide to use the OS 1.60fx I have, or find me a good 30cc engine to put on her.   It is just a "sport" plane, and since I have the motor, I may just use it, but I do love the benefits of gassers much more.  Oh decisions, decisions....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do not have experience yet with the HD-1501 servos but some of the guys at my field have been really happy with them and are highly recommending. I plan on getting some for my next project. As for the engine to me it is a no brainer. I am so happy with my DLE 30 that I could not imagine running messy fuel consuming glow power of that size (but in all fairness I have never used Glow over .61). If you are looking at DLE go with the new 35 as it is rear exhaust and more powerfulso it saves the extra weight of the pitts style muffler and when you factor in the cost of the pipe they are the same price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 30 cc gas engine on mine and I love the power, all I do is sport flying, thousands of touch and goes. Also, Idon't need an electric starter, glow plug, expensive fuel, and there is no oily mess to clean up. It was an easy decision for me, plus I saved a ton of money on fuel during the past two years.

My cost per flying minute on the GSS is $0.02 with the gas engine. My little Ultra Stick with the O.S. 82 works out to $0.11 per flying minute. That's over five times more expensive! I'm averaging 6 hours per month of flying on the GSS (I've cut back a lot lately)which works out to about $7 for fuel. If I flew my little Stick the same amount, it would cost around $39.I don't know what the fuel burn rate/min is for the O.S. 160, but it shouldbe more than the 0.8 oz/min rate for my .82 engine.If the burn rate on the O.S. 160 was double the burn rate for my .82,my average cost/month would be$78; it would not take long to pay to switch to gas.Of course if you don't fly a lot, or you are rich, who cares?

The O.S. engineshouldbe quieter if that is a concern.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with all the points made on the gas vs glo.    I have actually been drooling over the OS Gt 33 this morning, thinking I might have to get one. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have heard good things about the OS engine but the price is out of this world. No one at my field has one. Where I fly DLE engines dominate the gassers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks - looks like a good deal. Thanks for the info.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Page 95 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast