Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 96 of 108 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2699

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

I have heard good things about the OS engine but the price is out of this world. No one at my field has one. Where I fly DLE engines dominate the gassers.
    I'm running the Syssa 30 cc engines, but they are also pricey at around$430. I'm the only one at our club with them.

The DLE, rear exhaust,engine is hard to beat. It is our club favorite for sure.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With my super saver coupon of $50 off, it makes it much more attractive

I have heard good things about the OS engine but the price is out of this world. No one at my field has one. Where I fly DLE engines dominate the gassers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That Syssa engine is a sweet looking piece

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Link?

I wasnt sure if Todd was still in business or not.

That Syssa engine is a sweet looking piece

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He is still in business; the majorproblemsare the lack of communication and waiting for things to happen.That bothers me, and a lot of other people, but I love the engine so much, it's worth the hassle. Just Google Syssa Aircraftto get to his site.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

X2 on the DLE 35. It's got a little extra poop over the 30, and the Sportster's narrow cowl is a perfect reason to go rear exhaust. I went Syssa for that reason - but that was way before the DLE35 came out! O.S. out of my price range. I'm too cheap! Retired now, stuff I use has to justify on a "bucks spent for bang received".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear ya on the "bucks spent for bang received"... Thats why I was still slightly considering the OS 1.60 I do have... but then when I start figuring cost of operation.. it wouldnt be long and I could buy a gas motor anyways with the savings.

I may have to find a DLE35 that is in stock somewhere.
    The OS 33 is nice, as is the Syssa, but I can still save with the DLE. I have a DLE 55 and it is a good runner.

ORIGINAL: ahicks

X2 on the DLE 35. It's got a little extra poop over the 30, and the Sportster's narrow cowl is a perfect reason to go rear exhaust. I went Syssa for that reason - but that was way before the DLE35 came out! O.S. out of my price range. I'm too cheap! Retired now, stuff I use has to justify on a "bucks spent for bang received".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regardless of the choice you make I think you will be very happy with this airplane. I would recommend starting this forum from the beginning or at the very least around page 50 or so on, you will find so many great tips on this plane. Many of us have moved the landing gear to the fuselage (highly recommended), added support wires and many other great ideas. I resisted when everyone said to replace the 4-40 pushrods and it almost cost me dearly. I broke a Aileron pushrod in mid flight but fortunately I had no trouble getting her down. Ahicks and joystick have a lot of time on this airframe so when they make a post, I read it twice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you buy one, I wouldn't even fly it before moving the landing gear to the fuse, you will save yourself a lot of headaches and a wing repair when the wheelpant makes its first appearance though the top of your wing. Other than that, its a great flying plane, and one of my favorites for the last 2 years. Gets lots of attention at the field. I am running a G-38 with a Xoar 18-6 and its a fantasic combo.

~Dave
    I have not failed. I\'\'\'\'ve just found 10,000 ways that don\'\'\'\'t work - Thomas A. Edison

Sig Kadet Brotherhood member #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been running the main gear in the wing (stock location), without incident, since new (finished it's 4th season recently). Because I fly from grass, and I just plain know better, I do not run the wheel pants....

I'm not going to say I have not bent the gear. I have, many times! This much weight just dropping in is going to bend or cause the gear to let go on occasion. To add to that thought, if you like to screw around doing tail wheel first landings like I do, the frequency of that happening increases exponentially! I used to pull the gear prior to straitening, but after an unfortunate incident was going to end my flying early one day, I just reach under and gave it a carefull pull to line it up on the leading edge again - and it did so without a complaint! Been doing it that way since....

I get how the plane is easier to handle with fuse mounted gear - that's the only good reason for the mod as far as I'm concerned, unless life without wheel pants is unbearable....

Biggest "gotchas" regarding this plane that I can think of are the somewhat wimpy control rods that have caused quite a bit of grief - and the need for flying wires that will be pretty obvious the first time you run the engine....

-Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flying wires + heavy duty horns & control rods + fuse mounted gear + DLE 30 w pitts muffler swinging XOAR 19 x 7 = fun, fun, fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41090.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1836690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk32080.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	1836691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va73311.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1836692  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The main reason Imoved the LG was for transport reasons. Not only will the fuselage not sit flat but the wings become difficult to stack. I fit my GSS in the back seat of my 4 door truck and it is tight but it fits. If the LG was in the wing then I would have to put the fuselage in the bed and I have no weather protection for it (it likes to rain here in FL alot). Once I did it the lines looked so much better and it "felt" right. I also love the lines of the Wheel pants and because my field is not grass, I really wanted to use them. There are so many options with this plane and that is one of the reasons Ithink it appeals to so many people

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I appreciate all the tips and help.  I will start searching the thread.  I had seen once somewhere of the landing gear mod.. hope to find that again, as I think I will tackle that before even thinking of assembling this bird. 

I also agree, flying wires are a must.  I might use fishing leader wire and make my own. Not decided on the method yet. 

I am still pondering over a gas engine. I would rather have the gasser in it. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I came in around page 68 and posted some pics of my gear mod on page 70 or so but I am not the only one who did it and you will see there are many different ways to accomplish the same outcome. I did it as soon as it came out of the box. I used the Sullivan's flying wires kit that others here had mentioned and it came with everything needed. FYI, in case you end up with DLE 30, use the Jtec wraparound muffler. The Bisson muffler was too wide to fit in the cowl. DLE 35 will not be an issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

I appreciate all the tips and help. I will start searching the thread. I had seen once somewhere of the landing gear mod.. hope to find that again, as I think I will tackle that before even thinking of assembling this bird.
    You can see the mods I made on mine in my Gallery and Models sections.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I feel dumb for asking, but where is the Gallery and Models ? Is that a forum ?

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

I appreciate all the tips and help. I will start searching the thread. I had seen once somewhere of the landing gear mod.. hope to find that again, as I think I will tackle that before even thinking of assembling this bird.
    You can see the mods I made on mine in my Gallery and Models sections.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just click on his name to the left of any posts he made and that will take you to his page

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just nabbed a OS GT33  from Joe Smith over on RCG

Cant wait to get started on this project. 

Thank you again all for your kind help.  I am sure I will be needing more.   

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ā*The main reason IĀ*moved the LG was for transport reasons. Not only will the fuselage not sit flat but the wings become difficult to stack. I fit my GSS in the back seat of my 4 door truck and it is tight but it fits. If the LG was in the wing then I would have to put the fuselage in the bed and I have no weather protection for it (it likes to rain here in FL alot). Once I did it the lines looked so much better and it ''felt'' right. I also love the lines of the Wheel pants and because my field is not grass, I really wanted to use them. There are so many options with this plane and that is one of the reasons IĀ*think it appeals to so many people
    I totally agree with that, once I moved the gear to the fuse, loading and managing the wings was 10x easier. But now that you mention it, I would do it (personally) again for this reason alone.

~Dave
    I have not failed. I\'\'\'\'ve just found 10,000 ways that don\'\'\'\'t work - Thomas A. Edison

Sig Kadet Brotherhood member #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to see what you all think about this. I just got my Pulse 60 back in the air and want to know what you all think about some radio mixes. I have been working alot with learning knife edge flight and while my GSS cannot perform it very well due to a weak rudder servo, the same applies to all planes. My pulse pulls to the landing gear when in knife edge so Ihave to hold some up elevater and oppositte aileron to keep her on track. Many of the videos I watch and articles Ihave read all say that if you have computer radio you should simply use Rudder to Elevator and Rudder to Aileron mixes to get that out. I mentioned this to some of the guys at the field and none of them thought it was a good idea. They feel you should fly the plane and make the corrections manually (butvery few fly knife edge consistently).Almost all professional/online sources say to use the radio mixes. My questions to you all are how do you guys feel about this and second if Ido add in the mixes should they be on all the time or should Ihave the mixes tied to a switch on the transmitter? The main reason the guys at the field do not recommend it are mostly saying that you may forget to turn the mixes off but it seems to me that these mixes are "correcting" flight charachteristics of the plane so they should be on all the time. Inever seem to hear anyone mention wether or not the mixes stay on all the time or not. What say you all?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome question!

So to be fair, let me first say my opinions are those of a long time sport pilot, not competing or even trying to fly at a very high level - OK? Nothing written in stone! Very interested in hearing what others have to say on the topic.

First, consider the thought that your elevator turns into your rudder on knife edge (KE)? So lets say your plane is a little nose heavy, requiring some up trim to fly level. When you roll the plane onto it's side, what do you think that up trim is doing to the plane now? Causing a pull to the canopy, right? Tail heavy would do the opposite, causing it to tuck to the gear.

With that thought in mind, I try to trim the plane's CG for a flat elevator first. No up or down trim, flat (neutral). (Yes, this involves moving the CG from the suggested point indicated in the directions. If you're flying at a level where you're considering mixing while on KE, I'm assuming you're also comfortable adjusting your CG.) I do that prior to doing any mixing. Then I do set up mixing as some plane's designs, building issues, whatever, still allow the plane to couple on KE. I do put that mixing on a switch, but do that mostly to allow a double check on my mix settings? I've never had a plane that required so much mixing that forgetting to turn that switch off affected the handling all that much, so I consider that issue pretty much a moot point? The mixing is only moving the elevator a couple degrees at most, and that's only happening with a ton of rudder in use? With the mixing turned on, in a full on heavy cross wind landing scenario, that couple of degrees elevator trim change will be the last of your problems....

Note: some guys will get involved with the engine's thrust line here as well. I've never gotten that far into it, consider the effort beyond the point of diminishing returns?

I would not try to mix ailerons for KE. I've never seen the need? -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2 cents:
    I practice knife edge in both directions and 4 point rolls constantly. I use the mixes all the time. On an airframe that is designed for aerobatics, neutralizing the airframe behavior requires very tiny mixes compared to normal controls, so flying sport really does not change. It is much easier to put an airframe that has perfectly neutral behavior through the difficult pattern stuff without having to compensate for bad flight characteristics. That way you can compensate for wind - The fewer distractions you must fight, the better your patterns will be. I know some pattern guys who spend quite some time getting tuned up for neutral flight characteristics - all of the ones I know who take this extra step are exceptional pilots. Yes, I can fight a belly tuck on any airframe, but I would rather not! I am always learning about better ways to neutralize flight characteristics under differing conditions, throttle up, vertical downline, knife edge, etc.

Paul
    AMA #876027 \"Clip-Wing Coupe\" Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do a lot of knife edge flight with the GSS and also an Ultra-Stick. The US really does not like to do knife-edge, but larger wheels help a lot. I tried to do the rudder and elevator mix on the US and didn't like it on full time.

It took quite a bit of up elevator to keep the plane from tucking toward the wheels which was okay for knife-edge. My problem was when I wanted to do side-slip landings, the plane would pitch up too much. At least that's what it seemed like, but it may have been that I am used to applying the elevator automatically for that since it seemed "natural", but it is not "natural" to me to apply elevator when in knife-edge. If you don't do side-slips or don't use a lot of rudder throw on landing, it may not be noticeable. I got tired of trying to get a correct balance between the two maneuvers and gave it up. Now the only mix I use is the flaperon/elevator.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes,
    I agree that trying to mix all the time for the GSS is problematic
    - the GSS is not really a very good pattern ship - too many things to fight.
    AMA #876027 \"Clip-Wing Coupe\" Brotherhood #6

Page 96 of 108 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast