Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

By the way I am also using LiFePO4. I get mine from EPBuddy. In our applications is there really any advantage or disadvantage over A123? I think we are splitting hairs.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The part I was talking about earlier, that let's you use power from the receiver using an RCEXL switch (like the TechAero works) is what I was talking about expanding on if there's any interest. There's directions to do that supplied with the switch - but it's in the fine print! I've been doing this on my planes since they showed how to do it. Actually it was Jedijody that brought it up the first time quite a while back. I checked into it then and have been running that way since.

Just FYI. I'm not trying to sell this or say it's any better than any other way of doing the same thing. I don't think many guys are familiar with this? Maybe they are, but I'm not seeing many talking about it. Retired, and being cheap by nature, doing it this way lets me run what I feel is a premium/light weight setup on the cheap.

All that said, on a 50cc+ plane running big servos, I think I would use 2 batteries like A.Z. is saying. With a single receiver the second battery feeds the Y going to the rudder. I know though, that the A123 is capable of delivering a LOT of power. Many think a single 22-2300 WILL power a plane this size because they're running them that way? TOA (the other Al)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The new landing gear is holding up great. Got about an hour and a half of flying with it so far and over 60 touch and goes with a lot of them being crosswind. The old gear would have bent several times. The new gear is a little stiffer and still has some spring to it so it absorbs the shocks from the rough field.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 PM
CrabbyOldFart

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

A few days ago we had perfect weather, light winds, temp in the 70's, not a cloud in the sky. Charged my batteries the night before to make sure they were topped off for a good day of flying. Got to flying field early and opend the back of the van and noticed that something was missing. Gas, ok, transmitter, ok, fuselage ok, wing, wing?, oh oh. No wing is not good. I hate it when that happens. No one else at the field had a Giant Super Sporster so I could't even borrow a wing. Most people would drive back and get the wing; in the DFW area you only drive in rush hour traffic if you have to get to work or if you have a death wish. The wing was the FIRST thing to go in the van this morning; can't wait for the sun to get up and warm up the air a little so I can go fly this morning.
I went last week, double-checked everything on my list, and arrived to a locked field. My Key? Home on my other ring. It's tough getting old. COF

Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
CrabbyOldFart

I've done the wing tube too. Now I store them in the wing halfs. It's hell having to idiot-proof everything when you know YOU'RE the idiot you're proofing against.    COF
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Mutt Dog
I looked at your GSS for sale ad with pictures and it does not look like this LG support you mention???? Thanks Brian

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

Steve:
You may want to check a few posts back at my LG for the GSS. If you remember my LG was not strong enough so instead of re designing it or using thicker aluminum I just took some music wire and bent it to fit the bottom shape of the LG. Then I took some aluminum tube that barely fit over the music wire and welded the aluminum tubes to the bottom of the gear with the music wire trapped in the aluminum tubes. This added so much strength but still allowed flex to absorb the big hits and it added very little weight. It has worked so well that I can't begin to explain. It really wasn't that difficult and even if you can't weld any shop would charge peanuts. I would also be happy to get it done for you as I have a top notch welder at my disposal
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Muttdog

[quote]ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Mutt Dog
I looked at your GSS for sale ad with pictures and it does not look like this LG support you mention???? Thanks Brian

Brian:
Those picks were taken when the plane was just completed. I had to strengthen the LG as it was a little week. If you keep scrolling through my posts here I did document that and supplied some pics. Here is a a video link of the plane in flight. The Cam is right behind the LGand you can see it work on landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VKHHpJE_zlo

I don't know what is going on witu RCU but Ican't uload images anymore. If you want more detailed pics or info just PM me with your email and I can send them. The response from both RCU and FGhas been pretty good and Ihave a couple people interested already. We will see. My new Extra is about 60% complete. H9 hit this one out of the park with the level of completion. The hinge gaps are even sealed already!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks. I enjoyed the video. Do you get oil/gas residue on the camera lens? I am having problems even getting on RCU some days. Brian

[quote]ORIGINAL: Muttdog

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Mutt Dog

Brian:
Those picks were taken when the plane was just completed. I had to strengthen the LG as it was a little week. If you keep scrolling through my posts here I did document that and supplied some pics. Here is a a video link of the plane in flight. The Cam is right behind the LG and you can see it work on landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VKHHpJE_zlo

I don't know what is going on witu RCU but I can't uload images anymore. If you want more detailed pics or info just PM me with your email and I can send them. The response from both RCU and FG has been pretty good and I have a couple people interested already. We will see. My new Extra is about 60% complete. H9 hit this one out of the park with the level of completion. The hinge gaps are even sealed already!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Muttdog

The Cam is mounted on the right side of the wingmount and that is the cleanest spot. It may have gotten a few spots on it but nothing too bad. Also the black silicone tube extensions make a WORLDof difference in that regard and keeps the plane much cleaner although with gas it's never a major problem. I run 40:1 and the engine is tuned very well so the mess is nothing morethen a quick wipe with a paper towl and it's back in the truck
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Muttdog

And I feel the need to explain the crappy video. I use a contour GPS cam and I had it mounted upside down for ground clearance (but after seeing it sit on the wheels Ifound out that was not necessary). I thought I could rotate the lens 360 degrees to make it upright but the lens only turns 270 degrees so the video was on it's side. You can flip an upside down video pretty easy when when you go from sideviewand flip it 90 degrees you get the video you saw there. Also Ithink Iused too soft/thick of padding on the mount as it allowed a lot of vibration and shake to come through. I will include the cam mount with the plane.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

This seems to be True Confession Time so I'll post this picture.
I couldn't figure out why the wing was at such an awkard angle. I brought it in, landed then checked to see what was wrong.
Upon inspection I found I that the spar was missing. I hadn't left it home - I just forgot to put it in. I put it in and went back to flying.
Unfortunatly all at the field noticed the incident and it even made it in to the club newsletter.
It just shows what a great airplane the GS is.
Galen

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45038.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1857427  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Muttdog

booker-RCU - I have a saying for things like that. "I'd rather be lucky then good any day" and boy did you get lucky.
<script type="text/javascript">titleAndStar(557,100,0,false,"","")</script>
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Muttdog

Oh and it looks like the GSSis sold! Still waiting for payment but so far everything looks good. The guy is even coming from a Pulse 60 like I did!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
SkyPilot101

Still time to back out!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Muttdog

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Still time to back out!
I hear ya but I am about 60% done with the new plane and it is a 30%so storing 2 giants is simply too much for me. I love my GSSand hate to see her go but this is how it has to be. Storage is not the only issue. The GSSis the only airplane Ihave that is actually worth something so I need it to offset the cost of the new bird. My pulse was snapped in half a year ago and even though she is as good as new that makes it worthless and my other plane is a cheap Taiwan pattern style plane that is worthless to most (not to me)but isa blast to fly. IMAC is where I want to go and I feel the new Extra will take me up the ladder. I am sending 2 newbs to this forum. one is the new owner of the plane and the other is someone who I was talking with about itbut is nowgoing to purchase a new one. He asked me for help with the LG mod so I am sending him picks today as well as a link to this forum.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Muttdog

Ok just got a ship quote from Greyhound to ship the GSS from S Florida to MD. The package will be about 80 x 32 x 20 and I am guessing the weight to be around 30 as I will pack it secure. Price was $82 + $3 for insurance up to $300 (they will not insure any more then that). I have to purchase some supplies to build the container so I charged the buyer $100. I think that is a fantastic deal for a fully built airplane to ship. I will let you know how it all worked out.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe a pic or 2 of your box/package as you build/pack it?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Muttdog

Was already planning it. Prolly won't ship until late next week.In the meantime I am saving all of the airbags that I get in packages from my vendors to use as padding. I will be joining 3 very large boxes into one huge one and gluing them all together. I know it sounds frankenstein but it will make sense when Isend pics.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: booker-RCU

This seems to be True Confession Time so I'll post this picture.
I couldn't figure out why the wing was at such an awkard angle. I brought it in, landed then checked to see what was wrong.
Upon inspection I found I that the spar was missing. I hadn't left it home - I just forgot to put it in. I put it in and went back to flying.
Unfortunatly all at the field noticed the incident and it even made it in to the club newsletter.
It just shows what a great airplane the GS is.
Galen

Looks like it's trying to flap!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
pgmeyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim,
nice to see you here again, I got down to Texas again, brought a small electric this time -

Paul
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Paul.

Sorry I missed you!

I don't spend much time in here these days. Books to write, and so forth.

I've decided to sell my GP Super Stearman bipe, and RCU is the place for that.

Jim
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back Jim, this place has been a graveyard since you left.

I went out to fly my GSS yesterday and someone had unplugged our water pump so the infield was flooded with water. I could have used some floats on my plane. Had to find some high and dry places to fly from, poor old plane looked like it had been mud running.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Muttdog

Well my GSS is no longer mine and she is on the way to her new home. Building the box for it took me several nights and was almost as intense and building a plane! Dropped it off at the Greyhound bus station yesterday. Total shipping with $300 insurance (the max they will allow) from South Florida to MD was about $94 and should be there Friday. I think that is a steal and if it works out, it will be my new method of shipping very large boxes. I sold the plane on FG and actually had more then one buyer in just a couple of days. Unfortunately RCU yielded zero hits but that is most likely due to the fact that I could not upload images. It kept telling me my images were not .jpgs when I know they are. Bottom line is the plane is sold for a fair price and it is out of my hangar. While I do miss it, the new Extra on the bench consumes all my thoughts right now andis coming along really well. Imay have it in the air Sunday. Flew the pulse last Sunday and as usual it never fails to disappoint. The pulse was my first Mike McConville design and the new extra is the second (it also has Carden design influences). H9 is really stepping up their game with the designers they have on staff. Included some pics of the box:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68670.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1864419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69972.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1864420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78492.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1864421  
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

That's the oddest shaped box haha .  Hope the "cross" doesn't get caught and cause issues. 

Excellent use of priority boxes  
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 AM
Muttdog

There is also a wing box that is not shown in the pics and it is attached to the side of the fuselage.That makes it a little more square.Myfirst plan was to have 2 wing boxes on each side of thefues that would make it totally square but Idid not haveenough boxes to make itup and weight was a concern. Ialso marked it with caution labels and lots and lots of tape along with about 30 hot glue sticks. Building a crate for a full size giant scale is not easy without it weighing aton. The total package came out to 34 and Iwas pretty happy with it. No one piece is very strong but when you add them together the strength comes from the sum of it's parts. Almost all of the cardboard is doubled up (or tripled) and there is lots and lots of padding. It can take some abuse and I am confident it will make it (but still crossing my fingers). The long narrow box in front is actually the fuselage box from my new Extra and it is grafted to a 36 x 18 x 18 standard shipping box. The 2 are glued together to make one solid box that will not come apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.