Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:29 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine had the std. wing mounted gear, which, despite much abuse, I never did break the gear mounts. Bent gear, yes (many times). Broke, no. Mine started out with a Quadra 42 on it, and ran a 20" prop. The weight was not an issue, nor was prop clearance. If you go back far enough, one gentleman mounted a 50 on his....

I don't think the 40 twin will be an issue. Should be a smooth power house the plane will handle with ease. That said, though the Sportster has proven itself a great sunday flier, I think there are much better flying sport planes if one is looking for the performance a 40 twin is capable of.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM
sdstick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True that, but I am older now... I have flown IMAC and was a hot dog in my day (I began flying in 1962) for what I want now the Sporty and the smooth running 40 is going to be perfect for me. My 40 is still in the break in phase and I am running a 19x8 Xoar prop... from what I have read I can run a 20 with no problems which will be perfect after break in when I change to a Vess 20B. I have decided to keep the stock gear and I will be adding flying wires in back. I am going to use Robart hinges and Dubro ball links, more suitable Dubro horns, Ohio tail wheel assembly and better pushrods. I am building this one for me because I believe it to be a keeper... and to my eye truly gorgeous. I am a retired professional drummer and I am going to let Animal from the Muppets be my pilot figure... should make it even more fun. Depending how Animal fits, it may become an open cockpit airplane.

Thanks very much for posting!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 19" prop on mine with the stock wing gear, Fuji 34cc, and fly off grass. Could probably go 20"; especially off a paved runway. You could also go with slightly larger diameter tires for a bit more clearance.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess 16, maybe 18 inches.

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
ahicks

Flying wires and updated hardware that makes sense on this plane with gas for power (scrap those solder on metal clevises!) an excellent plan.

Doubling up on the fuse wing saddle area a good idea as well. As the plane gets some time on it, the wing will wear in that area.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 PM
sdstick

Yes, you are so right!

I make my wing saddles using high quality white silicone sealant. I run a nice even bead on the saddle on the fuse side, tape wax paper onto the wing where it meets the fuse making sure the wax paper lays down smoothly with no wrinkles.... then mount the wing on the fuse... snug it down easy... and then let the silicone cure for 24 hours. When you remove the wing and wax paper you are left with a perfectly molded wing saddle... it really works well. I have been doing it this way for years.

Last edited by sdstick; 08-26-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I have flying wires on mine, and my linkages are carbon fiber. The empennage on these, especially the next size SS down, are notorious for blowing off in flight.

I've used the wax paper method on wing saddles before. It really does a nice job.

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 03:39 PM
sdstick

It's difficult to know why some loose their tail feathers and some don't... but I have seen enough that have, to make me want them on my airplane.

Last edited by sdstick; 08-26-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM
sdstick

Has anyone actually used an incidence gauge on their GSS?

GP specs say wing to set on 1 degree positive and stab on zero
Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This, is a FANTASTIC idea!
Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to try it myself.

Clear Skies

-PD

Originally Posted by sdstick
Yes, you are so right!

I make my wing saddles using high quality white silicone sealant. I run a nice even bead on the saddle on the fuse side, tape wax paper onto the wing where it meets the fuse making sure the wax paper lays down smoothly with no wrinkles.... then mount the wing on the fuse... snug it down easy... and then let the silicone cure for 24 hours. When you remove the wing and wax paper you are left with a perfectly molded wing saddle... it really works well. I have been doing it this way for years.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I bought a gorgeous large SS when I was in Texas, all set up to fly. Had an O.S. 1.20 in it, as I recall. I took off, and it felt good. It climbed, turned back across the field, and before it was flying parallel to the field, the tail feathers came off in one large piece. The wing & fuse pounded in out there in rattlesnake country, and we found it a few hours later. I don't recall ever finding the tail feathers. Anyway, with all the sand and cactus out there, it found a nice big rock to impact upon, and the engine and radio were all demolished. I started reading up on it, and found it's not all that uncommon for that to happen with the large SS's. I tried to make the fuse spin with the ailerons on the way down, hoping to save the engine and any gear I could, but that big ol' rock had other ideas.

Anything giant scale got flying wires after that, including any type of Super Sportster. If they need them or not, I'll never know about it, because now ALL the tail feathers stay right where they belong!

I check my incidence on anything I build, sdstick, but unfortunately, I didn't built that plane, and so I probably did not check it out.

The guy I bought it from said he'd flown it quite a bit, and it was a great flyer. Maybe the tail feathers got knocked loose on the way to the swap meet?

I do know my GSS is an incredible flyer; slow, fast, aerobatics, it does it all.

JIM
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM
sdstick

Originally Posted by philakapd
This, is a FANTASTIC idea!
Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to try it myself.

Clear Skies

-PD
So very glad to help!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
sdstick

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
I bought a gorgeous large SS when I was in Texas, all set up to fly. Had an O.S. 1.20 in it, as I recall. I took off, and it felt good. It climbed, turned back across the field, and before it was flying parallel to the field, the tail feathers came off in one large piece. The wing & fuse pounded in out there in rattlesnake country, and we found it a few hours later. I don't recall ever finding the tail feathers. Anyway, with all the sand and cactus out there, it found a nice big rock to impact upon, and the engine and radio were all demolished. I started reading up on it, and found it's not all that uncommon for that to happen with the large SS's. I tried to make the fuse spin with the ailerons on the way down, hoping to save the engine and any gear I could, but that big ol' rock had other ideas.

Anything giant scale got flying wires after that, including any type of Super Sportster. If they need them or not, I'll never know about it, because now ALL the tail feathers stay right where they belong!

I check my incidence on anything I build, sdstick, but unfortunately, I didn't built that plane, and so I probably did not check it out.

The guy I bought it from said he'd flown it quite a bit, and it was a great flyer. Maybe the tail feathers got knocked loose on the way to the swap meet?

I do know my GSS is an incredible flyer; slow, fast, aerobatics, it does it all.

JIM
Thanks for sharing Jim, I really appreciate it!

I wonder why GP set the wing spec at plus one degree and the stab on zero? Wouldn't it be better at zero zero??
Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

When you have a popular model like the GSS, there's probably some tweaking down with trial-and-error at first; tests done with slight variations to see what configurations like to fly the best. I'm quite sure that with models like the GP GSS, the GP Super Stearman, etc., there's an early period where they try variations to see which tweaks are best. You can be sure they listen to what customers tried and liked. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that since the days of the large GP SS models, the incidences were adjusted just a wee bit, to make them even better flyers in the GSS models.

I have to say, I broke a few of my own rules with this bird. For instance, there's so darn much wing on it that a MUCH smaller engine would have been fine. A 20CC would fly the GSS strong and solid, but I had a Syssa 30CC, so I over-powered mine . One thing I always loved about planes with HUGE wings like the Kadet Senior, the Telemaster, etc., was that you could put a smaller engine/motor on it, keep it very light, and play with thermals and such and enjoy flying and soaring and soft, slow landings. Even with the Syssa 30CC, though, I can still enjoy most of these things, which goes to show just how versatile the GP GSS really is as an all-around model. I can't recall ever being quite so taken with every aspect of a model. It's sleek, and long-bodied, so I feel like a car buff falling in love with the lines of a 1963 split-window Corvette. You can see the photos I've posted of mine in here over the past few years.The wings break down so that it's VERY easy to transport, even though it's a fairly large bird.

Anyway, I'd suggest going with it just the way it comes, and if you're not satisfied with it, you can always change it. I doubt you'll find there's any need for that, though. The tweaking to discover its best flying characteristics were done years ago. They've long since dialed this model in. That's one of the best parts about it!

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 08-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 PM
sdstick

That makes perfect sense Jim
Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 AM
ahicks

Regarding incidence, reaching back into some really old (thus questionable!) memory banks, my bet would be one of 2 reasons. First, 0/0 is used for more performance applications. Has more of a tendency to go where you point it, like pattern planes.With a Sunday flier type mission in mind, thinking they wanted to make it more forgiving, maybe keeping potential speed limited? Second, could also have something to do with the airfoil's performance. Might just work better at 1+, using the logic Jim wrote about?

Been a long time since I even thought about stuff like this. Used to be a big factor when building from a box of sticks with performance in mind. Today's ARF's generally don't even specify incidence.... -Al
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM
sdstick

Ok, I have now read every post in this excellent thread. Are there any more good threads on this plane?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 AM
ahicks

This is the only one I've seen. Your head likely stuffed with more info than you can use anyway!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 AM
sdstick

Originally Posted by ahicks
This is the only one I've seen. Your head likely stuffed with more info than you can use anyway!
LOL.... Well there sure is a lot of very useful information here!

A huge thank you to all the contributors

Last edited by sdstick; 09-09-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

AND, if you want instant gratification, looky what I found over in the ads!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1041732

You know, the one thing I've noticed about the GSS. It seems that 95% of the GSS models I see still sport the original color scheme. That's amazing, once you think about it. Most any other model you can think of turns up in a dozen different paint jobs, because everybody wants to make that one their own. But the GSS is such a goddess straight out of the box, we keep the colors she comes with. She's a showstopper.

She's like the Raquel Welch of models. With stats like those, everybody wants her just the way she comes.

Jim
Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 PM
sdstick

Very eloquently stated

Last edited by sdstick; 09-09-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 AM
sdstick

Is anyone using Spectrum telemetry on their GSS?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 AM
IneptCorpse

Unfortunately when it comes to covering, I didn't have a choice. Mine came in a half blue/half yellow scheme. I might be able to modifiy it though.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 AM
sdstick

All the Giant Super Sportster's are 82" wing span and they only come in the white scheme with red accents.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Oh, there's a few around that people have changed to alternate color schemes, IneptCorpse, which is just fine. Joystick changed his during his overhaul last year, too.

I was just commenting on how so many of us kept it just the way it was. I added some big swaths of color under my wings for better visibility while performing rolls and such, but left the top alone.

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 09-10-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.