Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Congratulations Wes! Was your field big enough to accomodate the GSS? I know in the begining you were worried about the size of your field.
Red.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
wesrcfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

long enough. But it would be easier if it was longer.
I had to try 5 times to land the plane.
It's not easy on such a short field.
Next time I try with a little more wind and de CG a little more to the tail.
And a new tail wheel must also still under.
The original is too weak.
Regards Wes.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Wes,

Glad to hear you got her up. It's a great feeling when they fly, and the GSS really flies well right off the bat.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but with the Spektrum DX-7, I've plugged my left and right ailerons into the correct channels so that you can not only add differential aileron throw if you wan to, but you can also use the ailerons as flapperons. You do lose some aileron effectiveness, but it helps to steepen the approach, adds a little drag and lowers your stall speed, which will help slow the approach a little and use a little less runway while landing and rollout due to reduced landing speed. Haven't tried deploying them yet on mine, as I only have about three flights on her and I want to get comfortable with the Fuji 34, stall speed and CG range.

Keep us posted.

John from Portage, Michigan
Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

John -
When you get up the nerve, give those a try and holler back regarding your thoughts (flaperons). I set mine up with about 20 degrees of down and found them almost completely ineffective. I would revisit if somebody said they had better results though! I understand what they're about, used to fly full scale. Keep some air under it while experimenting (don't experiment on short final!)! I had them low enough where I found myself picking up the low wing with rudder at one point. If one of them gets low enough, all the extra drag will turn the plane into it - just about the exact opposite of what you're expecting/asking the plane to do at the time!
-Al

ORIGINAL: Planejaw

Wes,

Glad to hear you got her up. It's a great feeling when they fly, and the GSS really flies well right off the bat.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but with the Spektrum DX-7, I've plugged my left and right ailerons into the correct channels so that you can not only add differential aileron throw if you wan to, but you can also use the ailerons as flapperons. You do lose some aileron effectiveness, but it helps to steepen the approach, adds a little drag and lowers your stall speed, which will help slow the approach a little and use a little less runway while landing and rollout due to reduced landing speed. Haven't tried deploying them yet on mine, as I only have about three flights on her and I want to get comfortable with the Fuji 34, stall speed and CG range.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Planejaw

Will do Al.

Sounds like we're looking for a little more drag than lift with this ship, but it may be tough to overcome all the lift that this wing provides. I have most of my big ships set up with flaperons (if they don't have dedicated flaps), and you're right, they do require lots of rudder to pick up a drooped wing. The one ship with dedicated flaps, GP Giant Big Stik, really uses them when hauling up a load (in a bomb-bay I built that attaches under the CG).

Hoping to get the GSS up either tomorrow or later in the week. Once I get a good feel for her, I'll try her up high and see what she does. I used to fly full-scale as well, out of Brooks Field in Marshall (KRMY now, 5D8 many years ago). Flew a couple of Mooney 201's (that friends owned) that had the Precise-Flight speed-brakes. Great options to help kill the lift and get the plane to stick to the ground. Wonder why we don't have something like that for these larger birds of ours??

I also had a Sig Kadet Senior Kit that I built and flew for about 15 years. Had a large hatch on the bottom that I opened and used to drop parachuters. Open it back up on short final, at about a 45-degree angle right under the CG and made a great speed-brake...even better than a hatch for dropping things!!

Take care.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

You might try setting the ailerons to go up for spoilers. That will kill some lift and it should stop the plane from floating down the runway. If you try it check out how it reacts a couple of mistakes high.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Kostas1

Guys,

i am thinking of installing a weedwacker converted 30cc engine on my GSS...

What do you all think ?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Planejaw

I would think that anything, 30cc or larger, should do. With the Fuji 34, the airplane flies quite nicely for my tastes. I would imagine that something a little larger, up through a 43 cc would definately give spirited performance, but I don't think this plane was desinged for anything much larger than most of the 30-38 cc engines out there. If the Weedwacker conversion was kept to a reasonable weight and can turn good revs, should work well, though may be just a tad bit on the low end of the power scale. I'm not terribly familiar with the Weedwacker conversions, so I can't accurately speak to that engine in particular. All you can do is try!

Bhorton, an interesting idea, to reflex the ailerons up. Two-mistakes high is a good place to start. I'm really starting to warm up to designing some kind of speed-brake or spoiler on the top of each wing, at about mid-span, just enough to kill the lift just prior to landing. You'd want to have something that you could activate on final approach and not have to worry about flipping a switch just before landing...too much going on to have all that going on just when you're trying to make a nice smooth landing. In fact, on any full-size aircraft, particularly single-engine piston, the speed-brakes are designed so that if you have them deployed on fianal approach and have to execute a missed approach, you can apply full power and still be able to climb until you can retract the speed-brakes. They're designed to be just big and effective enough, but not too big or too effective so as to cause a high of pilot workload and uncontrollable aircraft. In fact, if you look at the Precise-Flight speed brakes on a Mooney or other high performance single, you'd swear that they were too small to have any real effect on the flight characteristics of the aircraft. Anyway, food for thought...maybe something to design over next winter???

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
ahicks

The spoilerons will help kill lift, but not so much in the way of speed? Slightly reflexed ailerons will actually increase top speed in many cases?

Regarding the GSS, before getting too carried away with other solutions, I think you owe it to yourself to try moving the CG back. I think most will agree afterward that it's an extremely effective method of controlling exactly what needs to happen for this airframe on final - without noticably affecting it's low speed handling. The plans reccommended forward CG is VERY conservative and after a lot of messing with this, I've found it a major contributer to the "floats forever" syndrome with this plane (or any other nose heavy plane).

To illustrate, I can do a stall turn in the area where I sould be turning base to final, and land normally after coming down out of it. With a 6p prop on a properly idled engine, the plane is capable of stopping NOW...... FWIW
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Planejaw

I agree with moving the CG back, particularly since I went with the fuselage mounted gear...which really moves the CG forward. The difference in CG caused me to add three-clicks of up-trim when moving to the fuselage mounted gear. Might try to fly it tonight...but supposed to up near 90. May be close to sunset or over the weekend. As with everything else, the simpler, the better!!

I know I've got to richen up my high-end needle on the Fuji 34 a little, because it's so warm. She's set at the factory recommended settings, with the high needle opened up about 1/8 turn to help keep things cool. We'll see how it goes and I'll give you an update tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I just flew my GS for the first time last week. I used a RCS/SV 26CC Gasser.I flew with a 17X8 prop. The Sportster flew great with no trim changes required. Of course it didn't have blazing speed but it was very snapy and quick. The high end RPM was not to good and so I changed to a 16X8 prop to get a little more RPM but the weather moved in and I didn't get a chance to fly with the new prop. The landing was great - smooth and short. The CG was as recommended. Over all an excellent first flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91727.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1442838  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Planejaw

I agree with moving the CG back, particularly since I went with the fuselage mounted gear...which really moves the CG forward. The difference in CG caused me to add three-clicks of up-trim when moving to the fuselage mounted gear. Might try to fly it tonight...but supposed to up near 90. May be close to sunset or over the weekend. As with everything else, the simpler, the better!!

I know I've got to richen up my high-end needle on the Fuji 34 a little, because it's so warm. She's set at the factory recommended settings, with the high needle opened up about 1/8 turn to help keep things cool. We'll see how it goes and I'll give you an update tomorrow.

No, no, no! You want to lean it if you're compensating for the temp!
The warmer, less dense air needs less fuel to burn properly! Cold, dense air is looking for more fuel....
Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Planejaw

Gotcha!! I keep thinking two and four-stroke alcohol based, givng a little more fuel for some additional cooling.

Thanks for the clarification.

John from Portage, Michigan.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
wesrcfreak

Hello,
Here is my vid of my first flight.
Regards Wes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5Q8H5pVEk
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM
ahicks

Your concern regarding runway length now clearly understood! Nice job!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Great Job Wes! Looks like you had to deal with a bit of a cross wind as well.
Red.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
wesrcfreak

Yes there was abit of a crosswind.
It's not easy to land it there.
But maybe with some practice and some more wind it's going to be better.
Regards Wes.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
SBrian

LOL, What do you have there a whole 50'... I like the way you drop it in after the fence, it kinda has that elevator thing going for it. Forget all the other stuff people are recommending, you need a Tail Hook!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Planejaw

Very nice first flights. I'm sure that you're happy with how she flies.

Found out why my Fuji 34 quit on me a couple weeks ago and had a near disasterous downwind landing. Attempting to start the engine last Wednesday evening, I was having trouble getting the Fuji to start. Just couldn't get her to draw any fuel, choked or not. Time to remove the prop and pull the cowl off. Found that the Tygon fuel line had been completely burned through on the preceeding flight (when the engine mysteriously died just after takeoff). Some new Tygon took care of that. Had three more successful flights after that, sporting the new GP Super Stearman landing gear. Made sure thats the new fuel tubing was nowhere near the muffler!!

Old 05-30-2010, 08:42 AM
wesrcfreak

Yesterday I made 7 new flights with my GSS.
The doing much better to land.
I land the plane now with a little wind between 590 inch and 787,5 inch of runway. with a little practice.
With no wind it's between 787,5 inch and 1378 inch. This is only possible with the CG more back to the rear and a 20x6 propeller.
Also using flaperon on about 60%.
Otherwise it going in to fast.
Regards Wes.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Planejaw

Wes,

Great to hear that you've had more successful flights. Sounds like the flapperons help in giving you a little more drag and shorten the landing. You mention that your runway, or runway length used, is in inches. Do you mean that the airplane uses up 787 to 1,378 feet of runway? If so, that sure is a lot of runway.

I added a couple ounces of lead to the tail, but going to do a little more fine-tuning on balancing, likely adding some more lead to the tail, as Al mentioned previously. Here are a couple of photos from three flights last Wednesday, May 26.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47482.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1446219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86654.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1446220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43756.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1446221  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
ahicks

His no wind inches dimensions translate roughly to 65 - 115 feet. Using those dimensions, it's still long compared to what I know it can do (those distances can be halved again), but it's not doing the 'floating just off the runway' thing (using at least twice that amount of runway) I know it's capable of as well.

Wes, wondering if you noticed much difference in handling with the bigger prop or heavier tail? I didn't notice that much, not until I went extreme, something over an inch in back of the suggested, and then it still handled fine, it was just dragging it's tail noticably lower at lower speeds. Just wondering about the impression the changes made on others? -Al
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Danh4
My Feedback: (5)

Go for it! I fly mine with a converted Ryobi swinging a 16x10 prop and it is a nice combination.

-Dan
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: Danh4

Go for it! I fly mine with a converted Ryobi swinging a 16x10 prop and it is a nice combination.

-Dan

Dan

do you use a 30cc Ryobi ?

Because i am going to install a Homelite 30cc custom made by a friend....

Could you post some pics ?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Super08

I am really surprised with all of the people that have changed the gear to the PT-17 gear that Great Planes has not taken notice and upgraded the kit. It would make it so much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.