Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
s5lin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

I was about to buy the World Models Super Sports Senior for $249.99 after the $50 rebate, but now I see that GP is about to release this big 82" WS and almost 1300 sq in monster. I haven't seen it on the Great Planes site yet, I just saw the listing on Tower.

I really liked the looks of the old super sportster 120 and I think this one will fly like a big floater. Looks like I might have found a new home for my old YS 120NC.

Let me know what you guys think of it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYC5&P=1
Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Flylow

Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Glad to see it is a two piece wing. This may be my second gas plane. I just got a GP Yak and need to get it together.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran into it on Tower al well. I have had the old Super Sportster 90/120 built from kit, and I am currently building another Super Sportster 90/120 kit I bought off ebay. Tommorow my order will go in for the new Super Sportster Giant ARF. I was just tickled silly when I came across that Plane on Tower! Below is a photo of my old Super Sportster 90/120 that I sold last fall, and also a photo of the wing I am currently building for my new Super Sportster 90/120. It will be great joy to have both the old 90/120 size and this new Super Sportster Giant Scale ARF!

I thought the old 90/120 size was big with its 72" wingspan, but this new SS ARF has a whopping 82" wingspan. If it flys as well as my old SS 90/120 it should be an excellent Plane! A very good day indeed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68735.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	453383   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43576.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	453384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87479.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	453385  
Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I like it. Great, now I have another plane I want.

There is $30 off if you order it tonight.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
s5lin

It's now on the Great Planes page, but geez a 1.60FX for power, I think thats a lil bit too much, not necessarily in power, but price.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1044.html

I think a great way to get this plane in the air would be the the Supertigre G2300, for only $150 vs $290 for the FX, and thats assuming you get the FX without muffler and then buy a Pitts muffler. That $140 saved could be useful for some more hi torque servos like some hitec 625MG or 645MG.

Anyone else think the covering scheme is pretty sharp for this new updated SS?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
mnrcaerobat

ORIGINAL: s5lin

It's now on the Great Planes page, but geez a 1.60FX for power, I think thats a lil bit too much, not necessarily in power, but price.

I think a great way to get this plane in the air would be the the Supertigre G2300, for only $150 vs $290 for the FX, and thats assuming you get the FX without muffler and then buy a Pitts muffler. That $140 saved could be useful for some more hi torque servos like some hitec 625MG or 645MG.

I was looking at the manual and it doesn't show what type of muffler you would use with a glow engine. I would guess it uses the standard muffler and you cut the cowl and let it hang out.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
s5lin

Brian,

I think you are correct in that the kit would most likely use the stock muffler with the OS 1.6FX.

Since it is an inverted glow installation, I assume it would be like the Giant UCD which also just has the muffler hanging out the side. But also recall that if you use the stock motor mount in the kit, you can easily rotate the engine to be a 90 degree installion and use a Pitts Muffler if that is what you have.

In this case you would have the engine cylinder head sticking out versus the muffler.

IMO, I don't think a big 2 stroke is the right engine for this plane. A big 4 stroke, like a Saito 1.80, would be perfect. Since GP doesn't have the rights to Saito here in the US, of course they would use the OS 1.6FX in their install.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
mnrcaerobat

Do you know anything about the Magnum XL 180 RFS Four Stroke Engine? I have the 120 Magnum four stroke and it is a very nice engine.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
s5lin

Funny you mention that. I had one for a week and then returned it. I bought around Christmas time here in So Cal. Around Christmas time they had a special on that engine it was $299.99 so with tax came out to $323. I decided to return it because I was trying to buy another aircraft at the time. (Chip Hyde Vision).

Thought it was a nice engine, but I think I'm a Saito/YS man at heart. The only reviews on the Magnum 180 were for the ASP 180 on the Just Engines website.
http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ASP180FS.htm

Good tach readings in the reviews, but for this plane I might pick up the Magnum 180 or the Saito. Chief has a good price on the 180 saitos with shipping included.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
mnrcaerobat

Funny you mention that. I had one for a week and then returned it. I bought around Christmas time here in So Cal. Around Christmas time they had a special on that engine it was $299.99 so with tax came out to $323. I decided to return it because I was trying to buy another aircraft at the time. (Chip Hyde Vision).

Thought it was a nice engine, but I think I'm a Saito/YS man at heart. The only reviews on the Magnum 180 were for the ASP 180 on the Just Engines website.
http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ASP180FS.htm

Good tach readings in the reviews, but for this plane I might pick up the Magnum 180 or the Saito. Chief has a good price on the 180 saitos with shipping included.

I can buy the Saito 180 at my LHS for $350. I had one a year ago and let it go for 315 and it was brand new. I hear the 180 likes fuel.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
rjbranchii

I saw the plane at the Toledo show. It was very nice looking and just what you'd expect. I cannot remember the engine size that was on the display model. It is one big airplane.

bob branch
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

---------------------

I have a problem seeing mostly white models on cloudy days. It isn't bad if a contrasting color is used to trim the wing's leading edge and with a dark stripe down the fuselage. Otherwise, the model just blends in with the clouds. But, maybe that is just me and no one else sees it that way.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
ckangaroo70

I am thinking the 1.80 Magnum 4 stroke would be a good choice for this plane. The Saitos are great, but quite a bit harder on fuel than the Magnums. The 5 Magnum 4 strokes I own are very fuel conservative compared to my Saitos which run fantastic, but do drink the fuel quickly. Of course the Saitos seem to be the more powerful, but the Super Sportster is designed for sport aerobatics and not 3D type flying. So its not like I am going to need an engine that is going to hang the Plane on the prop. I think the Magnum 1.80 should pull it along nicely from the specs on the Plane I have read.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:23 PM
ckangaroo70

I really like the trim scheme they used for this plane. It is simple, and has a classic look. I agree that all white might be tough to see by itself, but the red trimming they used on the Plane should show up well. I was happy to see that they went with a classic look, and not some bright multicolored busy scheme. A Super Sportster is a classic, and they did it justice by keeping the scheme classic.

I do like how they modernized the nose of the Plane by incorperating a fiberglass cowl. Everything else appears to be classic super sportster. One of the best flying low wing model aircrafts there is IMO!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

I'm thinking the new Brillelli 40cc powerplant would be a sweet setup for this plane - 6-8oz lighter than the suggested Fugi 32, but with more power and EI.

I downloaded the plane's manual and read through it - the included hardware appears to all be 4-40 and HD stuff that wouldn't have to be replaced - for once a ARF that I wouldn't have to spend $100 in hardware to be happy with it.

My estimates
ARF for about $275 depending on Tower's current deals.
Brillelli 40cc for about $335 shipped
$50 for a 18x10 prop and spinner
around $225 for radio equipment suitable for this application (I would probably use Hitec HS635 servos on surfaces ($30 ea))
Looks like the whole deal could be done up nice RTF for less than $900
Old 06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: adrenalnjunky

I'm thinking the new Brillelli 40cc powerplant would be a sweet setup for this plane - 6-8oz lighter than the suggested Fugi 32, but with more power and EI.

I downloaded the plane's manual and read through it - the included hardware appears to all be 4-40 and HD stuff that wouldn't have to be replaced - for once a ARF that I wouldn't have to spend $100 in hardware to be happy with it.

My estimates
ARF for about $275 depending on Tower's current deals.
Brillelli 40cc for about $335 shipped
$50 for a 18x10 prop and spinner
around $225 for radio equipment suitable for this application (I would probably use Hitec HS635 servos on surfaces ($30 ea))
Looks like the whole deal could be done up nice RTF for less than $900

---------------

I have a Brillelli 46cc engine (Poulan) and an SPE 40cc engine (pre Brillelli). Either would probably work just fine.

This might be an excellent model for those with a Zenoah G38, Brillelli 46, Quadra 35-42 or a US Engines 35-41cc engine squirrelled away somewhere too.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received the latest Tower Talk catalog in the mail. First I've heard of this plane. I don't visit this forum much.

I want it!!

Man!! Glass cowl, classic color scheme. Almost 1300 squares. I'd probably use dual elevator servos--just because I hate joiner rods, and I will probably need tail weight to balance.

I'm thinking a conversion engine in the 28--35cc range would be just about right. C&H ignition.

Time to start saving money for yet another project.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
biplane bill
My Feedback: (5)

Well, broke down and ordered one today. Have a ST3250 NIB that was for another project. Should be more than ample power for it. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

Bill

Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

I am thinking about purchasing the Giant Super Sportster. Has anyone seen or received the ARF. The next question would be; how does it look?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-11-2006, 06:37 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw it at the Toledo show and I'm impressed.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:29 AM
biplane bill
My Feedback: (5)

Mine came in yesterday. Its well built. Im impressed. Hardware package is great, even aluminum spinner and tires. Hinge slots even cut. Looks great, covering in good shape and well done. A little off on the cowling white paint, but hard to tell in sunlight. White on white seams show though the bottom layer, but thats always a monokote white issue, not a ARF issue, and once again hard to see in daylight. Looks like fairly easy build. Ill keep you all posted.

Bill

Old 07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
NM2K

----------------

I agree with you. The G2300 is a steal at $150 and it is an excellent engine.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

I am thinking the 1.80 Magnum 4 stroke would be a good choice for this plane. The Saitos are great, but quite a bit harder on fuel than the Magnums. The 5 Magnum 4 strokes I own are very fuel conservative compared to my Saitos which run fantastic, but do drink the fuel quickly. Of course the Saitos seem to be the more powerful, but the Super Sportster is designed for sport aerobatics and not 3D type flying. So its not like I am going to need an engine that is going to hang the Plane on the prop. I think the Magnum 1.80 should pull it along nicely from the specs on the Plane I have read.

------------------

For $165 delivered (US only), you can buy a converted 25cc Toro gasoline engine from Brillelli that will fly this model in fine style. The converted Toro sips inexpensive, relatively speaking, gas/oil mix and is easy to set up. Yes, I have one.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

I don't believe that Brillelli makes the 25cc anymore - I think they were runnig out of suppliers of that block. They offer a 26cc EI engine now for less than $300 shipped.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
ckangaroo70

I sure would like to see a video of one flying. Might be awhile yet since they just started selling them, but I am sure looking foreward to seeeing how it looks in the air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.