Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Skybolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Skybolt ARF

ORIGINAL: trixer

Ya, the y.s. 110 would be a little too much. The saito 1.00 with smoke would be a very good match.

I don't know if I would loctite the interplane strut screws that go into the wing, after a while this would only make it much more difficult to get on and off. By all means loctite them if you don't plan to disassemble every trip.
The screws you want to Loctite are the the 4 internal cabane screws. The other external screws go into locknuts and you just want to make sure they're tight.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM
MJJ

Hi, I have a Super Skybolt ARF which I converted to a 60 size electric. The aircraft weighs 8 lbs. but it flies well! I can do very basic aerobatics; simple rolls, big loops, immelmans, etc. This is my first biplane and it is teaching me well. Landings are OK but could use more practice to set it down gently as the gear seems to bend a bit after a few 8 lb. landings. It is always an attention getter because it is a beautiful flyer but also the electric conversion draws some attention as well. My only regret; I can't think of a good way to generate smoke with an electric motor (other than burning it up) !!!

Mike
Old 11-17-2007, 08:56 PM
grh_70

Hi Mike,

I have a Skybolt still in the box that I would like build as electric powered. Could you give some details
of your conversion, and would you increase the power if doing it again?

Gene H
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
MJJ

Basically I used the EFlite 60 motor and Castle Creations 60 speed controller. The batteries are two, 3S1P 4200ma Hyperion packs in series for a total of 6S at 4200ma. With a 15 X 10 prop (it is 15 inches but I need to check the pitch again) this setup provides about 900 watts at full throttle which for the weight of the plane provides respectable if not spectacular performance. I am not an aerobatic pilot so I fly pretty standard maneuvers and with these, it is fine for me. Plenty of power for a big loop and for go arounds. Takeoff is very scale like which I prefer to a vertical climb in the first 10 feet

I did have to get creative with the cooling as there is no provision for cooling of the electric components in the standard glow version. Also, I understand that the kit version is heavier than the ARF version which I have and this would affect your choice of power components. I have described the cooling mods on this site so if you can search on posts by mjj you should be able to find them.

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 AM
mflander

Got pictures?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 AM
sdstick06

Ok guys... got one more question...

I have one and only one other plane pulling on me...

Anybody flown a Great Planes Soucy Extra????

Perhaps a comparison anyone??... they are priced almost the same.... I like Extras too

Looks like Santa is going to cooperate so I am close to a purchase

Thanks sooooooooooo much
SDS

PS... How is slow flight behavior on the Skybolt?? I am getting older by the second and seem to have an urge to just putt around WAY more then I used to.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: sdstick06

PS... How is slow flight behavior on the Skybolt?? I am getting older by the second and seem to have an urge to just putt around WAY more then I used to.
As aerobatic as the Skybolt is, it's very stable flying slow thanks to its light wing loading.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
mflander

Well if the soucy is anything like the wagstaff, it'll fly great for a brick with wings .

The wagstaff is a WONDERFUL airplane, but it is very heavy for it's class. And it shows....
Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
sdstick06

Would one of you guys do me a favor? I measured my car... the Extra won't fit anyway... so it is a Skybolt for me..YAY!

I need to know two measurements....

width of horiz stab (span)

distance from table top to top of verticle stab

sure would appreciate it!!

Thanks guys,
SDS
Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
mflander

I sold mine... sorry..............
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
sdstick06

trixer.... what are you going to replace it with?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
mflander

Right now I am flying smaller electrics for the winter(an e-flite divo 3d and an extra 260 480)... my plans for next year are to fly some SSC combat with a treneff battle axe, fun-fly's with an e-flite eratix 3d electric. I want to start flying some competition next year, so I am selling most of my planes to come up with the money for a 50 or 75cc aeroworks extra 260....

The only plane I really have left is a seagull extra 260 .90 with a saito 1.25 on it... interested?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
sdstick06

I just had a period of flying electrics.... had fun with them... funny how we go through different rants huh? I also recently sold all my big stuff. I want to try to get happy with small and simple again.

Not really interested in the seagull.... thanks though.... I am sure it is a great airplane.

I think I would be happy with the Skybolt... it is the smallest thing that interests me. I really got tired of fooling with the trailer and the 100cc machines. I did enjoy it though.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
mflander

Right, that is why I decided to go with the 50 cc size... can still fit it in a normal vehicle, and the prices aren't out of this world.

I spend most of my flying time with the e-flite extra 260 480... believe it or not, this is one of the best flying airplanes I have ever had. Loads of fun, I can practice anything with it, and can fly it without spending an entire day going up to the club and back... plus I can still fly all winter long with my foamie...(I am going to outfit it with glo-wires soon so night flying should be fun).

Did you have any trouble selling your 100cc stuff? How did they hold there value?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
sdstick06

I had to take a bit of a loss but they did sell. I got my $$$ worth out of them. Big planes can become a hassle after the novelty wears off. A lot of my friends I was flying with went to foamies and electrics... for the same reasons you are enjoying them. It is amazing where you can get away with flying electrics over fuel... school yards are great! I got in to high performance electric sailplanes for a while too.... that was a blast.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Big planes can become a hassle after the novelty wears off.
Amen! I love flying big planes, but they sure get to be a hassle.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
sdstick06

It is just more fun when your not flying $5,000 around.... pucker factor very high! But ya got to get there before you can come back and get happy with what works best for "you" That is different for all of us. I am getting older and I am dealing with diabetes now.... I even have to sit down when I fly because I get tired real easy with this illness. I am just trying to find something I enjoy flying that doesn't take to much out of me. I can't wrangle the trailer and 100cc monsters anymore. I am even wondering how I am going to feel about bolting up 2 wings.... I understand the field set up on the Skybolt is pretty easy though. I am trying to make sure the Skybolt will fit in my car.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would one of you guys do me a favor? I measured my car... the Extra won't fit anyway... so it is a Skybolt for me..YAY!

I need to know two measurements....

width of horiz stab (span)

distance from table top to top of verticle stab

sure would appreciate it!!

Thanks guys,
SDS

Didn't see anyone answer so............... 22" span, 13.5" to top of rudder/fin

I carry mine to the field in a Honda Accord. I put the back seat down. Load from the trunk. Stick the tail of the skybolt through the hole at the back of the trunk compartment. Plenty of room left in the trunk for flight box.

One way to make the setup go quicker is to use T-nuts for the top wing to cabanes connections. Fiddling with both a tiny bolt and a tiny nut will drive you crazy. With the nut locked in place, it ain't a piece of cake but only half as maddening. The interplane struts are magic.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
sdstick06

da Rock.... you are my new best friend.... thanks man!!

I have the same kinda thing with the Nissan Sentra.... need to measure the opening... but.... I think it will make it!!

SDS
Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM
sdstick06

Just in from measuring the Sentra...... looks like the Skybolt will fit.... barely!

Sure hope it will fit in Santa's sleigh!!

Thanks for all the info guys.... I really appreciate it.

Have a great Tday ya'll (I'm in TN)

later...SDS
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM
CustomPC

Well, i finally finished my Super Skybolt tonight after about 2 weeks of evenings putting it all together.

I went with the OS .75AX using a Turbo-Jett muffler and will use an APC 14x6 which this combo spins at around 10,500rpm.

I started the motor in the plane this evening and it seems much quieter in the model rather than on the test stand.

The maiden will be this weekend.

The wings are about 1 inch too wide to fit cross-ways in our Golf hatchback. I'm going to have to see if i can fit it in diagnally. Otherwise i'll just have to dissasemble it for transport.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 PM
sdstick06

Hey guys,

Trying to decide between an OS 91 Surpass II or a Saito 100

Does the Surpass provide unlimited verticle? How about the Saito?

Thanks... and a very happy thanksgiving to all

SDS
Old 11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
150flyer

You could also use an OS 1.20 AX. I have flown mine with the 1.20 AX for over a year to date and it has the best unlimited vertical of any other Skybolt I've seen. The engine makes the CG perfect with no extra weight needed.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
sdstick06

Man... it's against the FAA regulations to fly a Skybolt with a 2 stroke in TN !

Sorry.... Don't mean to offend.... 2 strokes are great..... and I appreciate the input... but it has GOT to be a 4 stroke on this one

Might even do a YS... could run the tank on cg.... hmmmmmmmmm

Thanks,
SDS
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want unlimited vertical, go with a YS 110, OS 120 or Saito 125

If you look at the review I did on this plane, you can see a video of it flying with an OS 91 Surpass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.