Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Skybolt ARF

Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
orangepeal
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Skybolt ARF

Thanks for the pics marco. I like the idea of smoke on this plane. Once I get mine,I may have some questions for you about that. Do you know where your cg is with all the stuff you have up front? A lot of what i've read indicates that the recommended starting point is nose heavy and that the rearward range of the suggested cg is more desireable. I've found that to be true on other great planes ARFs. Seems like the smoke pump might take the place of all the nose weight that others add to hit the suggested starting point.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: marcoferretti

Hi Rock!
The vertical piece and the vertical plate are things I added to place the smoke-pump and battery the most forward to get the correct CG without adding lead. Let me call it ''useful weight''.
The C.G. stated in the manual makes the plane far too nose heavy, although it makes it very easy to land.

I also moved everything forward to get the C.G. as per the manual, then after several flights moved the battery, etc. back into the fuse. The plane flies MUCH better this way.

I have the C.G. a good 1"-1.8" BACK from what the manual states and it still could go further back to make the plane more neutral.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: marcoferretti

Hi Rock!
The vertical piece and the vertical plate are things I added to place the smoke-pump and battery the most forward to get the correct CG without adding lead. Let me call it ''useful weight''.
When mounting the kit, I did reinforce all glue joints in the firewall area. I don't know if this was helpful or not.
Next, I brushed finishing-resin on the firewall before installing engine mounts. Even the best ARF manufacturer will say its models are perfectly fuelproofed, it is not so. Did the resin help to make the liteply firewall more robust? Could be. My firewall is actually holding the engine, the smokepump and battery weight, all these items plus mounting plate etc.. are worth about 2.4lb. The acceleration of flight/aerobatic maneuvres applied to such weight will result in an impressive force applied to the firewall itself. So far I had no issues, hope I'll never have any...

BTW, I agree a firewall should not be made of liteply. True this ARF is ''the'' lighter version of the kit-skybolt, but there is no reason in making the front area so light if some ballast is to be added in any case to get a correct CG. Oh yes, I got it: it's just a matter of cost....

Liteply is an extremely variable material because of the type wood the middle ply is made from. It can be fairly strong. It can also be worthless. And worst of all, it can vary greatly in each piece.

There are thousands upon thousands of models flying with liteply firewalls and surviving. But if anyone out there is like me, I want mine to stand up to a lifetime's use. Most of us don't want just 10-20 flights out of any of theirs, which is a possibility with the design of this ARF and it's wood selection.

Yes, painting the finishing resin helped the compression problem quite a bit. Finishing resin actually strengthens soft wood that'll absorb it, and liteply's veneers are certainly soft woods.

I hope you never have issues either. My "advertising" of this issue is to help others avoid them when they get their new Skybolts and start assembling. It'll at least give them a head's up.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 AM
marcoferretti

@ orangepeal: it's just fantastic to se a bipe "smoking"!! I first fitted the engine compartment with lead to get che correct CG, just unuseful weight. I had a 12V pump, so I bought a brushed motor controller, plugged on a free channel in my RX and that's it!
I suggest you maiden your Skybolt first, then you may thing about of fitting a smoke system. For your first flight, just set the CG on the foremost point. It will surely be nose-heavy but that's OK, it will be very easy to handle and and will land on its own! Get confident with your bird and gradually remove weight to shift CG back till you feel the model is really yours.

@ rock: You just did right, informing other modellers of these issues is very important!! Thank you!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
orangepeal

My LHS made me a deal that I couldn't pass up and so I took the Skybolt ARF home Friday. In anticipation of getting it at some point, I had previously picked up some 1/5 scale cockpit gauges from Hobby Lobby. I made a cockpit dashboard out of 1/8" birch ply and drilled it for the gauges. Here's a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10478.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1332858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83829.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1332859  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
g_mkoch

looks great! This plane flies great. What engine will you use?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:54 PM
orangepeal

Definitely a 4 Stroke. Probably a Magnum .91
Old 12-25-2009, 11:59 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a GP Super Skybolt for Christmas. I am thinking of putting a OS 61 SF ABC in it with a Bison Pitts muffler because, IIRC, this is the engine for which the plane was originally designed. Has anyone done this type of installation? If so, did the muffler have to be cut for either the head of the engine or for the muffler?

The other choice I have is a Enya 80 4C. I am not sure that this engine has enough power for a Skybolt. The Enya will turn a 13x6 prop at a little under 10,000 rpm. Has anyone tried this combination?

Bruce
Old 12-25-2009, 01:57 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: landeck

I just got a GP Super Skybolt for Christmas. I am thinking of putting a OS 61 SF ABC in it with a Bison Pitts muffler because, IIRC, this is the engine for which the plane was originally designed. Has anyone done this type of installation? If so, did the muffler have to be cut for either the head of the engine or for the muffler?
The other choice I have is a Enya 80 4C. I am not sure that this engine has enough power for a Skybolt. The Enya will turn a 13x6 prop at a little under 10,000 rpm. Has anyone tried this combination?

Bruce

Did the cowl have to be cut?

I use an OS61 in my Skybolt. Got an older style Slimline Pitts muffler on it. Had to cut a hole through the bottom of the cowl for the two pipes to stick out. They didn't stick far enough to blow all the exhaust clear, so I stick silicone extensions on after the cowl is on. Almost no residue to wipe off after a day of flying. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Name:	Hf97503.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1341602  
Old 12-25-2009, 02:03 PM
da Rock

I'm fairly certain the Bison would fit the same, only needing a hole for the pipes. I've got Bisons in a couple of other close cowls and it takes up about the same area as a Slimline.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:27 PM
landeck

da Rock, thanks for information. IIRC, you used a 61 FX which in size is similar to the 61 SF. Also I have an old style Slimline I can compare the Bison to for size. Did you have any muffler presure/fuel flow problems with the Slimline muffler?

Bruce
Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: landeck

da Rock, thanks for information. IIRC, you used a 61 FX which in size is similar to the 61 SF. Also I have an old style Slimline I can compare the Bison to for size. Did you have any muffler presure/fuel flow problems with the Slimline muffler?
Bruce
Only problems with fuel flow is when I've got uniflow plumbed poorly and get siphoning and that's not a muffler problem.

OK, I just ran down to the shop and looked into the cowling. The Bisons have a large tank where the old Slimline has a tube, but it is positioned perfectly to keep the size out of play. It should fit into the cowling with space to spare.

The Bison's tubes are longer than the Slimlines. They might be a bit further back. The hole I made in the lower cowl for the tubes actually wasn't very large. You need it of course for the pipes to exhaust outside the cowl, but sometimes it has to be longer to let the cowl fit over the pipes as it's being put on. Sometimes what I do is saw the pipes shorter and put on longer silicone tubes. This cowl didn't need that for the Slimline, and I don't think it'll need it for the Bison.

It's a nice flying airplane. Just messing with it just now made me wish it wasn't raining.........

You'll like yours.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:57 AM
landeck

da Rock, again thanks for the input. I think I am going to set it up just like my GP RV-4 quarter scale. I am really looking forward to assembling it.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
ABORH

I hope the pictures loaded. Here is yet another Super Skybolt. I think it is a very good looking plane. It is powered by a Thunder Tiger .91 FS. The smoke "module" can be easily removed. The smoke oil tank had to be flattened a bit in order to clear the wing saddle.

Name:	Mk26650.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1343245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70018.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1343246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75000.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1343247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64493.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1343248  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

In order to strengthen the back of the firewall where is attaches to the fuse you need to cut an access hatch into the bottom area just aft of the firewall. What is the best way (what tools/how) to cut the access hatch?

Howard
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
orangepeal

I'm finally getting around to putting mine together this week. I pulled out the cowl and put it on the fuse just to see the effect and it's a very different shade of red compared to the covering. The covering is more of a deep red, almost maroon, while the cowl is bright red. Did others have this issue? In looking at the photos posted on this thread, it seems everyone's cowl matches the covering perfectly. Did anyone have to paint there cowl to get a match? If so, what paint did you use? Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM
wshall

There is a slight color difference in mine also. Not terrible, but also not the same. I've just learned to live with it.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The non-color match is unfortunate.

I've had the GP Skybolt in the box for a year. I'm not sure I want to take a look.

Orangepeal, you did a great job on the panel. Neat and clean! Feel like making another?

Charles
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
orangepeal

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

The non-color match is unfortunate.

I've had the GP Skybolt in the box for a year. I'm not sure I want to take a look.

Orangepeal, you did a great job on the panel. Neat and clean! Feel like making another?

Charles
Thanks. I'd be happy to make you one. The gauges come from Hobby Lobby. I had planned on getting the general aviation 1/5 scale set, but I waited too long to pull the trigger and they sold out, so I ended up getting the WWII British set. Any of them would be fine. Get what you want and PM me for my address. Just search 1/5 gauge on Hobby Lobby's website. It's pretty simple really. Cut out the dash decal that came in the kit and use it as a template to cut the dash out of 1/8" ply. I used birch. Then layout your gauges on it where you want them, mark the sides and remove them, then find the centers and drill the dash. I didn't have the necessary bits soI got close and then used a step drill and it worked fine. Then just sand off your marks and finish it (I used a thinned epoxy finish over some minwax oak) and then glue in the gauges from the back. Seriously, it took me longer to hinge all 4 ailerons (which I did today) then it took me to make that dash. (Of course, I managed to drop my exacto knife with a brand new #11 blade point down into my thigh this morning shortly after I started. It went right through my PJ's about halfway up the blade. So that slowed me down. Heck, I almost passed out!). Trust me, if you can put the kit together without injuring yourself, you can make the dash! But I had fun making mine and don't mind doing it again.

As far as the cowl goes, I realized that it matches the red on the checkerboard underside of the wings exactly, but not the darker red on the fuse which it butts up against. I thinkI'll just plan to live with it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Avaiojet

Orangepeal,

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately I do build but realistically, I don't currently have the time to do a tedious task like making the panel. Your's looks great! Plus you already made one. That's good experience.

If you want to order the stuff needed, I'll pay the cost for the parts and for the panel. Or we can trade graphics or lettering. I trade graphics all the time for R/C stuff. You decide. If you don't want to make it for a trade, that's fine, I'll understand.

Remember, my GP SS is still in the box, so there's no rush.

I'm busy trying to get building space in my small garage. We moved to FL and I no longer have a basement. Wife won't let me build in the house.

www.cfcgraphics.com

One quick thing. I've heard of guys putting 120 two strokes in the GP SS. Has anyone used a 120 two stroke in one?

I'll get my address to you.

OK? OK!

Charles

Name:	Ca81369.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1345069  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
orangepeal

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Orangepeal,

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately I do build but realistically, I don't currently have the time to do a tedious task like making the panel. Your's looks great! Plus you already made one. That's good experience.

If you want to order the stuff needed, I'll pay the cost for the parts and for the panel. Or we can trade graphics or lettering. I trade graphics all the time for R/C stuff. You decide. If you don't want to make it for a trade, that's fine, I'll understand.

No problem. Next time I have something to order at Hobby Lobby I'll drop you a line to see if you still want me to do it and we'll go from there.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Avaiojet

Orangepeal,

Great! I'll be your first customer.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
orangepeal

I'm progressing. I should finish it this week. Here's a pic of the build so far and of the cowl color difference. I guess it's not really that bad, but not the perfect match I've gotten in the past.

Name:	Eb87084.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1345764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85029.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1345765  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Avaiojet

Orangepeal,

About the cowling. Some auto body paint supply stores scan colors for correct paint match and provide them in aerolsol cans.

You could call around, local, and see what you can come up with for this service?

Any auto body shop will paint clear over your new color for pennies. Have to get them when they are painting clear on a car.

I've done this before.

Could work.

Charles
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM
ksalley

Has anyone put smoke on a O.S. FS.91? If so how large of a tank was used?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.