Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Skybolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Skybolt ARF

Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Vinnie6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Howard

In order to strengthen the back of the firewall where is attaches to the fuse you need to cut an access hatch into the bottom area just aft of the firewall. What is the best way (what tools/how) to cut the access hatch?

Howard
My hatch was easy enough to cut with multiple passes with a sharp razor blade. Then Imade a square plywood"ring" that glued on the inside. I screwed the hatch into the ring it for future removal, although that has never been necessary.

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/...56/Lg15500.jpg

[img]file:///Users/Katie/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///Users/Katie/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/299456/Fa84884.jpg

Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished the Super Skybolt I got for Christmas. Note that this ARF was purchased the middle of December from Tower and therefore is one of the latest batch. First, some observations about the kit:

1. The color of the cowling perfectly matched the red monocote on the rest of the plane.

2. While there was an insert instructing one to cut out the rudder post, it was already cut on mine.

3. Initially there were no wrinkles in the covering. After sitting in low humidity in my work shop (35% relative humidity) a few wrinkles did appear which were easily ironed out.

4. The parts fit was perfect. The cut outs for the tail did not need any adjustments.

Now some details on the building:

1. I replaced all clevises with Sullivan Gold-N-Clevises except for the throttle connection where I used the the provided nylon clevis.

2. On interconnecting the ailerons I used Sig Nylon Aileron Interconnect Horns (SIGSH755). I installed them on the top of each aileron jutting out about a quarter inch from the rear edge of the aileron. This gave me equal throws on the top and bottom ailerons which the kit method does not.

3. The cockpit was not painted so I painted it silver and installed a 1/5 th scale pilot plus a VoltWatch.

4. For installing the tail, after removing the covering on the horizontal stabilizer I positioned it and wicked in thin CA. Then attached the vertical stabilizer to the fusalage and horizontal stabilizer with 30 min epoxy. This results in a strong tail assembly without the mess of using 30 min epoxy on the horizontal stabilizer. I have done this with other planes and have never had it fail.

5. I installed an OS 61 SF ( a NIB engine I've had for 25 years) with a Bisson Pitts muffler. The 61 SF is taller than the current OS 61FX so I had to cut a round hole for the engine to stick out about a quarter inch. The muffler required only cutting an outlet for the two exhaust pipes. The exhaust pipes were too long to get the cowling on so I had to cut 1/2 inch off them but it looks good. I installed a three line fuel system with a fuel dot for the fill line. One modification I make to all of my cowled three line fuel systems is to add a Tee to the exhaust pressure line and a fuel dot to it so that I can attach an overflow tank the the exhaust pressure line when fueling. This prevents fuel filling and flowing out the muffler and onto the ground.

6. I installed a 6V 1500 mah NiCad battery under the fuel tank right behind the landing gear plate.

7. The radio is a Futaba 8FG system using the R617FS receiver and 3010 servos.

8. I installed the inter-plane struts using 4-40 1 inch hex head bolts on the front struts and 4-40 3/4 inch hex head bolts on the rear struts. The longer bolts did not interfer with anything inside the plane and where much easer to start and tighten. I really do not know how anyone could start and tighten using the supplied bolts[>:].

Some specs on the completed plane:

1. Total weight is 8lbs 7oz.

2. The CG is exactly 5 inches from the leading edge of the top wing. From what I have read, this should be good to go.

3. The lateral balance required 1.25 oz on the left wing tip.

I have really enjoyed assembling this ARF and hope to maiden it in the next few weeks.

Bruce

Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

They are still two of the very best planes I have [out of 37] operational. very relaxing to fly. MM
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I have one that I would like to sell RTF, if someone was interested. Saito 100, TT spinner, ds821's and Hitec 645mg's. All bought new for plane. 10 total flights on it. I'll throw in a R700 reciever on chnl 49 also. It has just sat assembled on its cradle in my garage for a year now.
Stangevil29
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 PM
orangepeal

Sounds like a nice build. I look forward to seeing some pics and good luck on the maiden! We had our house on the market last year around the time I got mine, so my building time was limited to the holidays when I was pretty sure we wouldn't be showing the houseI could only assemble so much before I wouldn't be able to tuck it away for a showing. We've since moved and I'm still unpacking, but hope to get back to this build in the next month so.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I still haven't built mine. I've almost got enough $$ to get the engine I want.. at least what I'm seriously leaning towards. It's the OS 1.10... I'd really like to know more about it, and actually have posted questions in a few forums looking for info/reviews. My friend in our club has one with a YS 1.10 that is totally nuts.. and I love it. Its really an outstanding combo. I just want to know more about the 1.10, and the 1.10 pumped version.. which is really what I'd like. Its at 479 or so right now.. the YS is quite a bit more the that I think.. or I'd just settle and grab it. In any case though.. I'm still saving, and its not quite time for an engine just yet.

Any thoughts here about the 1.10.. or better yet experiences..?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dale,

when i bought my YS1.10s, it was 379.00.
the newer YS is now the 1.15s soon to be out in a few months.
i use to be an OS man myself until i ran the 91 in my Skybolt.....talk about a complete Dud of a combo.
the OS 1.10 looks nice and all, but i feel confident in saying it is not going to light the tail feathers on fire as the YS will.

i will also mention that the pump version of the 91 i had was nothing but trouble.....others have had the same complaint.......when everything was on, it ran no stronger than the non pumped version. thing is, in the past, a pumped engine usually came with a bigger bore carb so there was a performance gain. not so with the OS pumped 4 strokes. both carbs are the same bore.
with that said, save the 70 bucks on the pump and get the non pump version...........with Tower discounts you get the 1.10 for 340-350.00.

the YS will of course deliver brute power and swing an inch bigger prop.

i'm running a 15x8APC and it turns that prop at 9,500 on PM 20/20.
i'm going to try a 16x6 soon for less speed, but more pull......LOL, as if it needs it in the vertical. and you've seen how it does rolling verticals with no sign of dropping out
it would go OOS if it didn'[t have a throttle
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
g_mkoch

I have my SS with an OS 110 (not pumped) and I absolutely love it, I'm running a zinger 15 X 6 at about 9600-9700 rpm with ys-saito 20/20 powermaster. It has unlimited vertical, at full throttle the plane can do one roll in vertical position before dropping the nose, the engine runs smooth without any problems and you can get a good 15 minute flight with the stock fuel tank.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 AM
DGrant

Mike.. I've got to say, seeing your SS fly with the YS was actually a pretty jaw-dropping experience... one of the few combos that's actually impressed me greatly in many years.. you know man.. its GOOD!
Guys... his plane will literally do what he's saying.. The OOS is just that.. out of sight!!! it runs like a race-horse, and pulls like a tractor in any direction its going.. for as long as it wants. If I wouldn't have seen that plane fly.. I would probably have settled on a .91, or even a 110 OS by now.. but it was that impressive.. I've just got to have one!

I'm not really an OS man, other then I own several, but I also own several other brands too.. and they are good engines, very reliable, very easy to operate.. but so is my Moki, and BME's.

Central Hobbies doesn't even have the 110 available on thier site right now. They're plugging the 115, and doing it with no option to order at this point.. soo.... I'm just going to keep my eyes out for something anyways.

PS.. Mike... I'm loving the ReacTor Bipe man. I've got it pretty dialed... it flies wonderfully.. can you say "SQUARE LOOP"? Dude.. it carves... LOL. Have a good one.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
summerwind

Dale,

glad you like it.
wish i had kept the Big Stik tho....got an engine for it now[]............wanna sell it back?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
brian36

Hey all, just thought I would throw in my two sents, I have the arf version with a OS .91 fs II turning a xoar 14x8 prop runing on coolpower 30% heli fuel. There is good power with this setup can hang it on the prop with reserve power. If I could do it over, I would go with the new OS 110, change the rudder to a pull pull setup. Try to keep the plane as light as possible, balanced as per recomended cg, increase the control surface throws to make it more snappy. Overall its a great flying plane very easy to land.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81956.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1411215  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
DGrant

Mike... I'll toss it around dude... I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a YS 110 too.. so I may need the bucks.. hehe.. I was hoping to use the Stick to break in my new engine.. I do promise I'll take excellent care of it in any case.. and we can talk. I've even given it a coat of wax.. and it's got its own room now. I won't put a scratch on it I swear.

Brian.. I was opting moreso for the OS 110 myself.. It would really be a very matcheed combo.. but after seeing Summerwind's SS with the YS 110, that was so impressive, I just don't think any OS can approach that level.. I watched that SkyBolt make a foot-print all over the sky, without ever showing any sign of falling off anywhere.. and when it landed it was just like a feather..very quiet and smooth. I do know Summerwind personally, and also believe his was very meticulously assembled.. it would have to be to take that kind of flying.. but it was a show.. and he's pretty much a pro too.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
orangepeal

I finally finished mine today! Started it back in December. Coming from park fliers and a .46 sized 2 stroke, I'm really impressed by the size and weight of this bird. It's a bit intimidating actually. I may wait until later in the season, when my thumbs are back up to speed, before I maiden her. I'll post some pics when I get them off the camera.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:05 PM
orangepeal

Here she is . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42440.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	1412106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58770.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1412107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81277.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1412108   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54749.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	1412109   Click image for larger version

Name:	My24999.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1412110  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 AM
wshall

ORIGINAL: dgrant

I still haven't built mine. I've almost got enough $$ to get the engine I want.. at least what I'm seriously leaning towards. It's the OS 1.10... I'd really like to know more about it, and actually have posted questions in a few forums looking for info/reviews. My friend in our club has one with a YS 1.10 that is totally nuts.. and I love it. Its really an outstanding combo. I just want to know more about the 1.10, and the 1.10 pumped version.. which is really what I'd like. Its at 479 or so right now.. the YS is quite a bit more the that I think.. or I'd just settle and grab it. In any case though.. I'm still saving, and its not quite time for an engine just yet.

Any thoughts here about the 1.10.. or better yet experiences..?
I've flown a buddy's with a worn out YS110 and its way over powered. I have a OS91 in mine and its got plenty of power - not unlimited vertical power, but plenty of power to do almost any stunt if you are a good pilot.

If you go the 110 route - make sure you beef up the firewall. Unless GP has updated the design and materials, the firewall is light ply and poorly reinforced.
There's a guy called "Da Rock" that is a great reference for really tricking out the Skybolt.

Good luck - its a fantastic plane.
WSHall
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
DGrant

10/4 on that wshall... I didn't know you could overpower a plane though.. . Seriously, I appreciate your info.. I'm just kidding. I've browsed this thread extensively already.. and will do some more.. I'm in no rush.. I've got a few other "go fast" projects going anyways. I am about ready to get the engine though.. I want to fly the engine on another plane this summer to get it dialed.. but I'm just about decided on it now..so its going to happen soon.

orangepeel... dude.. is that a clear canopy?? Or is my monitor stressed? I have to say that is one clean cockpit there.. you must have switched the ARF canopy for the kit canopy. The clear does give it a different look.. Good luck with your maiden.. let us know how it goes... take vid man.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
orangepeal

orangepeel... dude.. is that a clear canopy?? Or is my monitor stressed? I have to say that is one clean cockpit there.. you must have switched the ARF canopy for the kit canopy. The clear does give it a different look.. Good luck with your maiden.. let us know how it goes... take vid man.
No, the canopy is tinted. The photos were taken in direct late afternoon sun, so perhaps it's just "well lit?"

Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: orangepeal

No, the canopy is tinted. The photos were taken in direct late afternoon sun, so perhaps it's just ''well lit?''

hey that's what mine looked like before the YS got a hold of it....LOL
seriously, you did an excellent job, and you think you are smiling right now?.......wait'll the first time you land it.............i've had trainers that were less fun.
have fun with the maiden.

Dale,
nah, keep your Stik.............i'd only grab it back if you were sure you were not gonna use it.
enjoy, and let me know when you get the SS going.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
weezle

go with the O.S. 110. you won't need more than 1/2 of your throttle. Unlimited vertical 3/4 throttle, plus this engine runs very well requires very little adjusting. If your good at tuning engines the YS is a stronger motor but will require more maintenance. this is just my opinion of course. I ran my O.S. on wild cat 20/20 fuel performance was excellant. But you live in CA so turn around will be faster if you send YS in for repair( they are based in Nevada i believe) My vote is for the O.S.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 AM
summerwind

good advice from everyone here.............fuel cost is another consideration.
the OS will eat less.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
weezle

they are high performance, and they need a lot attention. My point is YS engines are only needed for competition if ur just a sport flyer get the o.s. Also, the o.s. doesn't need 30% nitro
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: weezle

they are high performance, and they need a lot attention. My point is YS engines are only needed for competition if ur just a sport flyer get the o.s. Also, the o.s. doesn't need 30% nitro

They do not need alot of atttention, and also do not need 30%. The 1.10's run excellent on 20/20 and will literaly blow the doors off the OS 1.10 Pumped without even trying, and for less money. Some people run them on 30% to get that little extra, but it is not needed. Sure 30% will widen the tuning envelope a little, but they are no harder to tune than a Saito, OS, or any of the rest of them. They just adjust differently, and are approched in a different fshion. It is amazing how people slam them when they do not even understand there operation. I have had (2) 1.10fz's, (1) 1.10S, (1) 1.40FZ, and (1) .63FZ, and they run better out of the Box than any OS, Magnum, Saito that I have ever owned. Everyone that I have owned started right up and only required settng the High speed needle. I have never had to adjust the low end on a YS untill after a few gallons of fuel, and only adjust the regulator a few times, but not untill the engine had many gallons through it. Read up on them, and understand there operation, before you comment on them.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
wshall

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: weezle

They do not need alot of atttention, and also do not need 30%. The 1.10's run excellent on 20/20 and will literaly blow the doors off the OS 1.10 Pumped without even trying, and for less money. Some people run them on 30% to get that little extra, but it is not needed. Sure 30% will widen the tuning envelope a little, but they are no harder to tune than a Saito, OS, or any of the rest of them. They just adjust differently, and are approched in a different fshion. It is amazing how people slam them when they do not even understand there operation. I have had (2) 1.10fz's, (1) 1.10S, (1) 1.40FZ, and (1) .63FZ, and they run better out of the Box than any OS, Magnum, Saito that I have ever owned. Everyone that I have owned started right up and only required settng the High speed needle. I have never had to adjust the low end on a YS untill after a few gallons of fuel, and only adjust the regulator a few times, but not untill the engine had many gallons through it. Read up on them, and understand there operation, before you comment on them.
Kinda touchy! They are different, no doubt but I agree that they can be finicky. They are a good engine no doubt but they do require a different approach to tuning.
WSHall
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
weezle

ok ok, there is no need to argue about such a stupid topic, i have owned YS engines and had good luck with them, I say they are a little harder to tune, you say that one must take different approach when tuning a YS...Ok you win, I was just giving my opinion on the subject, for this plane I believe O.S. 110 to be a solid choice from my own experiance.

motorman everyone who's ever tried to find anything about any kind of glow motor will most likely run into one of your posts, about how YS is cheaper, better performing, and easier to tune whatever man we get you love YS motors give it a rest you have said your piece in multiple threads, i was just trying to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.