Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Super Skybolt ARF

weezle,

which YS engines did you own?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the new 1.15 is due out soon.

another thing that was tried was a small twin, but i think it's buried in the older posts.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

weezle,
    now i see what you meant by using the puter.............when i tried posting yesterday i kept ending up on an error page.............Doh! the retries ended up hitting 3 times with the same message.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok maybe higher maintenance was the wrong choice of words, How about this...When I was learning to tune a YS engine It brought a different set of "challenges" from tuning to fuel delivery, it took a little bit of research on my part. The O.S. will keep most of the slime off of your plane something else to consider. Not to be confused I have only owned the O.S. without the pump. I was just trying give my opinion and I did say in my opinion. I only made statements based on personel experiance, I never said the YS was a bad motor, just not my 1st choice for this frame.

is this still the super skybolt thread or is it the YS 110 vs. the O.S. 110 fsa thread

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

fair enough......it's really a performance by demand decision.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

well, the question a while back was which engine for the SS.......you decided to make it personal in regards to what is best, or you'd do like all of us and just agree to disagree.

the pumped version of the OS 4 strokes do not deliver any more power than the unpumped version.

you had trouble with the YS becuase you probably didn't understand one basic adjustment with the regulator, and that usually is the cause of people having a bad time.

glad you admitted to not understanding the YS though......shows character on your part.

all in all, either engine would be great for this bird.

my first SS was powered with an OS 91 surpassII and it flew the plane fine, just didn't have any WOW factor..........then again, Great Planes suggests engines that won't tear the wings off and end up with liability issues.

Come on guys - this is supposed to be a thread about the Super Skybolt Get off the engine soapboxes and lets get back to tips and tricks, advise and experiences... wshall

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wshall

ORIGINAL: summerwind

well, the question a while back was which engine for the SS.......you decided to make it personal in regards to what is best, or you'd do like all of us and just agree to disagree.

my first SS was powered with an OS 91 surpassII and it flew the plane fine, just didn't have any WOW factor..........then again, Great Planes suggests engines that won't tear the wings off and end up with liability issues.

Come on guys - this is supposed to be a thread about the Super Skybolt Get off the engine soapboxes and lets get back to tips and tricks, advise and experiences... wshall
    you're right, we should only discuss tips and tricks to make this a fun airplane..................no more mention of engine choices here on my part since it doesn't have anything to do with the Skybolt.
    so here is a tip, be sure to glass the firewall to the fuse if you are going to add more power than what's specified. for those just starting their SS, be careful of the covering on the bottom as it is not true monokote. takes much less heat to shrink it, and if too much heat is used, it will pull right off the edges.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All good info guys.. thanks. I think I've got my plan pretty set what I'm doing engine wise.. so.. nough said.. and thanks for all the input.. for sure. All the equipment we talk about in this thread seems fairly high-end hobby-quality stuff.. and each component has its place.. nothing is any better then anything else really at this level.. but each thing has a personal preference for all of us.

Right now I'm watching the weather.. I can't believe its so blown out today.. not cold at all.. just blustery and unstable wind-wise...... and no sun at this point.. tomorrow supposed to be worse yet.

Mike... thanks again for the Stik.. I will use it well.. and treat it gently.. if I get to a point where it must go.. you have first rights on it.. thanks buddy. Lets hope for some dang sun now!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dale,

are you wanting what i think you want for engine?
    if so, are you looking for a NIB?
    or are you looking for one that someone has run very carefully and it is known to pull 2 wings in vertical without sagging

i may have what you want?

AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought one of these, used about 6 months ago. It is the ARF version and had been crashed and somewhat repaired by the previous owner(s). Finished up the repairs about a month ago, bought a used Magnum 91FS and maidened it today. I can see that this one is going to become a favorite. This thing is just a blast to fly! The 91FS pulls it very well. It's not a screamer but it has a lot of lower end pull, and will do just about unlimited vertical with a 14x6 prop. I've got $262.00 into this thing including the AR6200 receiver and couldn't be happier about this purchase.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

stangevil29

I'm looking for a new plane, possibly a Skybolt. Have you listed yours yet? I'm in Michigan, that may be hard to ship.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mikes145,
    Sorry, it lasted about 10 minutes tops when I took it out to the field and hung a for sale sign on it. If you do get one I believe you will be very pleased with it. If I didnt decide to go all gas it would have without a doubt kept a place in the hangar. Its a keeper for any nitro fan.
    Stangevil29
    Stangevil29

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just updated another older thread before I found this one, but does anyone running a four stroke 1.20(ish) engine have any engine install pictures? I'll have to go back through this thread again in case I missed them, but figured I would ask. I built mine with an OS .91 Surpass and flew it maybe 5 or 6 times before grounding it until I could upgrade the engine. Have a nice Saito 1.20 ready to go on now, but to keep the cowl lined up at 5 3/4"-5 7/8" from the firewall I know I'll at least have to hack up the engine mount to make room for the carb and intake, and possibly the lower firewall to make room for the exhaust so I was curious to see some other pics of similar installs. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I got the 1.20 mounted. I spent a couple of hours getting everything just right, only to finally bolt the engine on and say "no way that's gonna work if I leave it sideways." I then spent a couple more hours rotating the mount and re-routing the throttle pushrod to invert the engine. I think it'll work much better this way. Here are a few pics showing the modification I had to make to the mount to create room for the carburetor, as well as the engine in the sideways position, and its current (and final) inverted position.

Now I apparently need a new starter battery, or maybe just a new starter that's capable of turning over this 1.20!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63254.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1430032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85815.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1430033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw59215.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1430034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33196.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1430035  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would a OS 70 4 stroke be too little for this plane. No aerobatics yet in my life...New flyer. Just some mild sport flying. I have a new 70 wanting a home. And, I could upgrade once I get better

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lablover

Would a OS 70 4 stroke be too little for this plane. No aerobatics yet in my life...New flyer. Just some mild sport flying. I have a new 70 wanting a home. And, I could upgrade once I get better

Joe
    A 70 might get it off the ground, but the Skybolt would be underpowered. The OS91FS is just about right for sport flying. If you want to go a little more radical, Check with "DaRock" about structural modifications necessary to reinforce the firewall, ect... before strapping a 110/120 in.

Good luck, its a great bipe.

WSHall

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito 125 on mine and it is just perfect.

R/C Foolish

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think the .70 would be enough for it. I'm not usually into overpowering my planes, but even with the 91 it felt like it was struggling at times. Hopefully the 1.20 will be just the ticket. I also hope the firewall stays attached. I didn't do a bit of reinforcing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like I'm off to buy a OS 91 oh drats.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just bought it..The left upper wing is crushed...Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Darn shipping!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys, bought one of these used....but not aluminum center rib was included. Anyone have an extra, know where I can get one without getting the whole wing kit? Also, if anyone has one not glued to the wing could you take a photo of it or scan it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try calling Great Planes or Hobbico maybe they will sell you one

Happy Landings
    I didn't crawl my way up to the top of the food chain just to eat vegetables"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys

Do you think Futaba Standard S3004 servos will be OK? I will be running a 6v rec batt so the servos will put out 57 Oz of torque...Manual calls for Futaba S9001 coreless. I just have the 3004 handy. Manual says min 54 Oz servos

Thoughts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lablover

Hey Guys

Do you think Futaba Standard S3004 servos will be OK? I will be running a 6v rec batt so the servos will put out 57 Oz of torque...Manual calls for Futaba S9001 coreless. I just have the 3004 handy. Manual says min 54 Oz servos

Thoughts
    I did similar in mine. I used standard JR ST47BB servos and a 6 volt flight pack. They have similar torque to the standard futaba on 6V. I have yet to maiden mine, but don't anticipate having any problems with the servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, I used a higher torque Hitec servo for the rudder, but the ailerons and elevator have st47bbs which are rated at 55 oz/in on 6 volt. I have a regular st47 on throttle (not bb).

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast