Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Skybolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deanz406
When i was replacing the firewall on my wrecked one, i used really good 5 ply- 1/4 " aircraft plywood to cut the firewall, and then had to add another 1/4 " X 2 1/2" block behind the aluminum motor mount and that pretty well made the cowl fit perfect, and prop washer location right on location.
Yes, I remember that... but you were fixing a collapsed issue firewall, right? If I just reinforce the still-solid original kit firewall, along with doing whatever I can to reinforce the interior side of the original firewall with the fuse sides, why should I use the thicker five ply wood AND another 1/4"X2.5" center block for the engine mount?

BTW, my new OS .61SF was mailed today. Should get it early next week.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attached the newly cut ply firewall to the original firewall- or what was left of it. The outer original firewall was still intact- the motor went thru the center of the cheap Chinese ply, so I just cleaned up the cavity, added a few braces, and screwed the new firewall to the old firewall perimeter. Yes- if u reinforce the thin firewall, and add ur new ply firewall, set the cowl on front, and measure distance to the prop hole. When u decide what motor mount u will use, bolt the motor to the mount, and set it up against the new firewall, and see where the prop hub comes out to the cowl hole. When I did that, I had to add another small ply plate behind my motor mount. The type of motor mount will dictate where ur motor will fit on the mount, and where the prop hub protrudes through the cowl hole. My mount wasn't real long, that's why i had to add another block. Just do a trial fit of everything before u commit to drilling any necessary holes. Dean
Old 07-24-2016, 01:48 PM
LSP972

That's what I was thinking; thanks.

Should get the new .61SF tomorrow; hopefully.

I'm ready to get on the ARF now, as soon as the engine gets here; gonna do that first.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 AM
deanz406

HEY LSP- Did u start ur Skybolt yet??
Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 AM
Vinnie6

Flew my SS last night for the first time this year. I don't fly it often. Last night was flights 46-48 and it is nine years old!! I don't know why I don't fly it more. What a great flying airplane!!! So easy to land.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:19 AM
deanz406

Hi Vinnie- I kinda did the same thing- I took out my GP Skybolt a couple days ago for the 1st time this year, as I've been flying an old kit built Skybolt, "Beater", I call it. Both have OS 61SF long strokers in them, and with APC 12/10 props, they do perform well. The GP ARF is a little lighter, as the Yellow/black one is kit built, has a sheeted & painted fuse. The GP will go vertical a lot higher and quicker than the "Beater", so I do all my practice with the Beater. I have a club member friend who is an excellent pattern flyer, and he's helping me learn the old "Classic Pattern" routine. I really don't want a pattern plane,ie, a Kaos, Dirty Birdy, or that type of plane-- I want to fly a BIPE. I don't want to be an expert, I just want to be able to do the routine smoothly, and have fun with it. At 73, I don't want to get all panicky, I just want to have a fun & relaxing day with my birds. Dean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2610.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2177766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4994.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	2177767  
Old 10-31-2016, 02:23 PM
LSP972

Originally Posted by deanz406
HEY LSP- Did u start ur Skybolt yet??
Nope. Not long after I posted #903, I began feeling bad and confused.... then found out I had a massive tumor on my brain. Went through brain surgery, where of course it was further discovered I also have Stage Four cancer up there. All that was in August. The surgery was successful- well, as successful as it could be- and I've been doing radiation treatments since September. THAT has kicked my butt big time; it just drains you of any energy. But I'm about done with that, and so far the cancer seems to have remained dormant. I have been flying a few times, but simply have no desire to do any bench work for now. That radiation knocks your you-know-what in the dirt.

In about a month, I will find out a more complete idea of what situation the cancer is in... i.e., roughly how much time I have remaining. If its close, I need to dump a LOT of stuff fairly soon so my wife doesn't have to mess with it. If its still pretty good (i.e., not active), then I have some time and might just assemble it. I did get the engine; a NIB OS .61 long stroke with papers, tools, and a new Pitts muffler.

I should get a better idea just before Xmas.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:45 PM
deanz406

LSP - Hi again- WOW- I'm so sorry to hear of ur illness, and do wish u the best for a full recovery. I am sure that the others who have followed this thread will send their best wishes also. Please keep in touch, and let us know if ur healing, and am able to get back into ur planes. Our prayers are with u-- All the best-- Dean
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 AM
LSP972

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM
LSP972

Interesting day at the field. A young member brought a GP kit-built SkyBolt that an older member built some two decades ago. He glassed it; can you say HEAVY? But he put an OS .91 two-banger on it, so it has enough power; good flyer. But the important part is, I asked the youngster to see if it would fit in the back of my cross-over SUV completely put together. I've been concerned about that, because while I love bipes, I despise having to assemble/disassemble them every time I take one out; particularly now that I don't have as much strength/energy as I did.

Wonder of wonders, it fit just fine. If I quit being fatigued all the time, now that the radiation is done, I just might start this ARF sooner than I intended to.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Pavel Pankratov

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to make a conversion to an electro option ..
Does anyone have experience?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 AM
Pavel Pankratov

It can not be, nobody did the electro version?
Nobody will give advice?
So we will pierce the head with a wall ...
Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 AM
plcline67

Originally Posted by Pavel Pankratov
It can not be, nobody did the electro version?
Nobody will give advice?
So we will pierce the head with a wall ...
Old 10-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Pavel Pankratov

Thanks, I found the author, ask him questions, and now I read his posts ..
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

subscribe
Old 03-04-2020, 01:30 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Talking Stll Skybolten'

14 years later and this thread is still going. Impressed. Mine are still the finest flying bipes and very relaxing on a beautiful spring day with the field all to myself. Great to be retired !
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Vinnie6

MormonMike, congrats on the retirement. I had my SS out in June. It was windy and getting windier so I only flew it once. Mine is a hangar queen. That is why it is 13 years old and it is in great shape. I am a schoolteacher. The Industrial Tech teacher actually had it hanging from the ceiling in his classroom for a year.

Vinnie