Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Super Sports 40 assembly tips

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Super Sports 40 assembly tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 02:09 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Super Sports 40 assembly tips

Epoxy Cup,
Can you post a picture of yours? I'm really curious about this cowl!!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:54 PM
glowplug

Peter Y,
I finally got around to seeing where the balance is on mine......it's right at the spar. I'm going to take a bit of weight off of the nose and see what happens.....

Mike
Old 03-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Jazzy

Hi folks.
I just read through this thread and noticed nobody made theirs a taildragger.
I got mine, (still in the box), to replace my H9 Advance 40/TT Pro 46. I never even tried the trike gear on the advance 40 - went straight to taildragger configuration. I was planning on doing the same with the SS 40. I'm also planning on putting my TT 54 FS up front. Any thoughts?

How's the knife-edge with the rudder being kinda small? (I was able to knife-edge loop the A 40. It did have a large rudder...)
Old 03-25-2003, 08:36 PM
glowplug

Jazzy,
I say go for it!
If you increase the rudder throw, it will knife edge....but I wouldn't expect any knife edge loops!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Peter Y

Glowplug - keep us posted re the CG changes - I'd be interested to hear where you think the optimal spot is.

Jaz - we found the trike arrangement has the prop pretty close to the grass - you can almost see the mowen strip when she takes off. I wonder whether the undercarraige might be too short at the front for tail-dragging, as when the tail lifts there will be very little clearance between prop and ground. That said, ours takes off in very little runway, so it's not a big problem.

Peter
Old 03-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Jazzy

Mike & Pete,
For the A 40 I used the large? Klett gear. 14 5/8" across the axles X 4 3/8" top of mounting plate to axle. Maybe they're the medium size...? 2 1/2" ultralight homemade foam wheels.
All I did for the A 40 was epoxy a piece of 3/16" ply inside the fuse right in front of the sadle. Drill holes through the fuse. Add blind nuts. Attach gear. The thin layer of balsa underneath the covering between the gear and ply inside the fuse squished a little but not much.

When our field's grass was needing cut the 11X6 APC did a fine job of whacking daisies! (You know-pretending to be a weed eater) I imagine I'll have about the same ground clearance at the prop with the SS 40.

I'll probably be running an APC 11X7 on the TT 54 FS, maybe an 11X8. I doubt I'll go larger in dia.

What about flat spins? Stall turns? (I knew most of this stuff when I ordered it but, it's been a while )

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:57 AM
glowplug

Jazzy,
Stall turns are easy......hmmm...flat spins....maybe it's just me, but I can't do 'em!!

Give it as much rudder throw as you can when you set it up.

Mike
Old 05-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Epoxy Cup

Default cowl

Glowplug

OK I know this is a long time but I'm going to try to put a picture in of the cowl. I never put a pic in RCU yet so not sure what I'm doing.
Well cant seem to just copy and paste so anyone tell me how?
Old 05-13-2003, 04:33 PM
glowplug

Epoxy,
If you click on "post reply" instead of using the quick reply feature, you should see an area to attach a picture to the reply

Mike
Old 05-14-2003, 02:54 AM
Epoxy Cup

OK Glowplug

I think I found it.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:19 AM
Epoxy Cup

Default cowl pic

:stupid: Sorry it took so long but I had to make the file smaller for the 300k limit. Not so bad once you figure it out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/sh...=11799&thumb=1

Well I dont have this down yet how do i get the photo from the gallery to here?
Old 05-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Jazzy

Look at that! It DOES have a cowl.
Nice cowl. I don't think mine-the blue version-has one. (Unfortunately it is still in the box.)
Old 05-18-2003, 02:52 PM
glowplug

That's slick Epoxy!!! Did you did the red striping on the canopy, or was it like that? Now I'm jealous.....I want a cowl toooooooooo
Old 05-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Epoxy Cup

It was like that. I don't like it but its on to stay. That was another difference between my friends and mine. His is white on top of the canopy. Both came from the same hobby shop, but when I went to get mine they had to pull it off the wall display because they were out in the back room.
I think it may have been there a while. There was also an update addendum in the instructions for servo tray while my friends already had the new tray. So thats why I think their must have been an earlier version. The mono trim is slightly different also.
I really tint want the cowl cause I wanted simple and cowls are a pain. But it is a great plan and you all know how they fly. A $99 price on these have to make them about one of the best value for $ there is around.
I have my throws pretty well maxxed out and can hold hover for a while. Knife is not real good, it tends to fall off some. Snaps like a banshee. All of this is amazing for such a docile trainer and lander when you reduce throws and slow down. :thumbup:
Old 05-19-2003, 01:37 PM
glowplug

Epoxy, You're right, cowls can be a pain....but with the upright engine it's not that bad. I'm still going to increase the throws on my ailerons a bit....have the rudder pretty maxed out but I can't hold a really good knife edge either....oh well...a small price to pay. You're definitely right, that plane is definitely the BEST value for $$ around.

Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 04:44 PM
IMCub

OK, guys ... I'm looking for a bit better knife edge, so I thought I would extend the trailing edge of the rudder a bit.

Anyone tried this?

Any suggestions on how much to add?

Any idea of how much more rudder is too much?

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Cub
Old 05-29-2003, 05:30 PM
glowplug

I've heard of people doing this to WM T-34 with good results....haven't seen or heard of it done on the Super Sports, but I don't think it would hurt to try! The rudder on my 4 star 40 is increased by about 5/8" and the only thing that I've noticed is the tendency for the nose to drop a slight bit at low speeds when using rudder (on approaches). It's not hard to get used to counteracting it though.

Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 05:47 PM
IMCub

Thanks Mike,

That was sort of what I figured It should be worth a half an hour of effort to give it a try.

I don't have my plane in hand, but I think 5/8 of an inch would give me pretty close to 30-40% more rudder area ... it should be fun!

Cub
Old 08-23-2005, 08:38 AM
justy_123

Default RE: World Models Super Sports 40 assembly tips

Hey fellow modelers

After stumbling upon this thread and reading how well this model flys I have decided to buy one How could i resist a $180 (Aus $) ARF WOOT!!

I have one order and I cant wait till it arrives. Hopefully, my spare 40LA will fit it nice.
It's to replace my tiger sport 40 that I crashed the other day.

I am sightly worried about the the large amount of nose weight that i will have to add to achieve the CG. Due to the 40LA being a light engine etc.

Some great info you guys are sharing.

catcha
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 AM
On_Final

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Catcha,

You'll love the plane. Had mine for about 4 years and it's still going strong today. I have a dozen other planes but it's still my choice for throwing something around the sky and warming up the thumbs with some low stress flying.

However, you might want to think about replacing the 40LA with something in the 46FX/AX class. The LA will fly it as a low wing trainer but you'll need the extra ommph of the 46FX/AX/ TT46 pro or equivalent to do anything else and believe me, you can do a lot more with this plane.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 AM
justy_123

Thanks for the advice On final

Yeh i get wat ur saying about the LA. It's a beaut little engine but ur right, it does lack the GRunt!!.
Wat im planning to do is fly it with the 40LA in it for a few months and then upgrading to a .50 or sumthing like that later on.

Wat has excited me already is the fact that the model is all balsa/ply a quality that my my previous model didn't have.
Cant wait to get the model. Got an e-mail from the hobby shop saying that it should take no longer than a week.

Everyone raves about this model and i cant wait to see how good it actually is.
People have also said that this model is hard to see in the sky so ill probably buy some bright covering for the control surfaces.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 AM
glowplug

Well, since you've brought this thread back from the dead, I'll chime in.

I also owned a Tiger Sport 40, and while it was a great flying plane, after just one season, it literally started falling apart.....the turtledeck was cracking, the covering was peeling and getting brittle.......it's a shame that the build quality in an otherwise great flying plane just wasn't there......my Super Sports 40 has been flying now for about 3 1/2 years, and still looks brand new! The build quality and covering are excellent! My canopy is a bit cracked, but that was "hangar rash" caused by me. [:@]
I do recommend installing thicker main gear if you can get a set.....I used main gear from a friend's retired Hobbico Skyvista and it fit into the notches in the landing gear blocks in the wing very well, and has remained very tight over the years.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 AM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: justy_123

I am sightly worried about the the large amount of nose weight that i will have to add to achieve the CG. Due to the 40LA being a light engine etc.
What I did was cut a hatch on the bottom behind the firewall and before the wing to give access to the firewall and the fuel lines and tank. I think you may be able to stuff your battery under the tank. I replaced the fuel tank with a Sullivan. I had problems with leaks with the supplied tank. Put your receiver right behind the fuel tank. I added some triangle stock to the firewall. Mount your engine as close to the front of the mount as you can. Then see if you need weight. Mine balanced fine even without the battery under the fuel tank. I am running a TT Pro 46. You will need to add some color to the bottom. I did. The only other problem was the servo try came loose on a hard landing (lost the engine on takeoff). I just used some CA.

Here is a picture of my wing after I hit the ladder that was holding the limbo ribbon. I still kept it flying and won the contest. Yea.

This is a great plane to fly.

Have fun

Bill

PS.

GlowPlug is correct about the gear. I flew mine with the same gear for a couple of years. But it kept on bending. So I bent new ones from some piano wire. I have been flying this plane for 3+ years also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43753.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	314454  
Old 08-25-2005, 03:11 AM
justy_123

Yeh, that Tiger sport was built real dodgy. That plasitic 'covering' didnt last long on mine either. Also kept peeling away from the fuselage. And the covering was like plastic too. Thie wing was buit well however.

Anways, Redwing I like the advice you gave about placing the battery under the tank. And also about installing the engine as far front as possible. I shall try these

Gloplug do you reckon the tigersport's landing gear will suit the super sports?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 AM
glowplug

Justy, I'm willing to bet that the tiger sport's gear will fit the Super Sports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.