Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 p-51

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

hanger 9 p-51

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:00 PM
VKerster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger 9 p-51

Had my maiden flights today,this plane is awesome! Am using a YS.91 FZ up front , twisting a APC16x8 7800rpm at WOT, however this plane doesn't need no where this much rpm to keep it flying at scale speed.This is hard to believe, but I had the throttle only 3-4 clicks up off of idle for scale speeds. The YS pumps out MASSIVE amounts of power,had to gently roll the throttle to maybe 1/2 for a chrisp takeoff then back it down for flying.
I've read quite a few threads about members p-51s nosing over at takeoff. Mine did the same thing, but found the cure. The trick for non-noseover takeoffs is to hold full up elevator and steer with the rudder. The plane rolls out well and will lift off on it's own at 30 to 40 ft.
This bird flys very stable, I set the CG between 4.5 and 4.75 inches back from the front of the wing seated in the saddle, used the perscribed settings in the instruction manual for elevator, came out exactly neutral on the trim and one click to the right on the aileron trim.
Landings were very straight and level, was able to slow the plane way down without any suprises and settle on the mains. Just remember, as weird as this sounds, up elevator is your friend to keep the nose out of the grass. The plane didn't porpoise at all on landings. To everyone getting theirs ready, you're gonna love it, just remember to use lots of extra epoxy on the firewall.(I smothered all joints and painted the firewall with epoxy before flying) Hanger 9 apparently skimped on the glue in this area.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:26 PM
mulligan

Default hanger 9 p-51

Building mine now- what a beautiful plane (especially for an ARF).

When you suggest extra epoxy, do you mean on the front for fuel-proofing or on the rear where triangle stock is?

BTW, for those who get a little anxious as I did, the pencil marks/holes on the firewall are supposed to be off-center (to the airplane's left) to align the engine properly (firewall is angled for right thrust).

I have an old O.S. .60 2-stroke with a pump (I can't tell the difference in power from my ST .90). From all that I've read, this should be ample power.

Darn, how long does that epoxy take to dry?!!!

- George
Old 12-27-2002, 04:00 PM
VKerster

Default hanger 9 p-51

George,
Put the glue on the triangle side. I used 5 min. epoxy yery liberlly around the top, bottom, sides, all over the triangle stock, and then used a paint brush and "painted" the entire back of the firewall. I had read some threads saying members had their firewalls come loose while taxing and engines floping off on the ground, I checked mine out and to my shock, I could see daylight all across the bottom of the firewall where it meets the bottom wood.(take the tank out and hold the plane up to the light)Too much is just enough. It shouldn't affect the balance, but recheck it anyway. Also, don't forget to check the axial balance.(hold the spinner and fuse backby the tail wheel mount.)
Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
mulligan

Default hanger 9 p-51

Thanks, I'll be sure to reinforce as necessary.

BTW, have you not had any troubles with gear bending? It seems a lot of folks posting here are leaning towards beefier robart retracts/wire/struts.

- George