Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Tribute 36 --PnP ??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Tribute 36 --PnP ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 AM
netdudeuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Tribute 36 --PnP ??

I didn't want to do that. Anyway, I've snipped the ties and added some self adhesive pads onto the wooden strips to push the tank out a little and the tubes now go round the back.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Yaniel

i just ordered a pnp tribute from my lhs and got it for $150! i'm pretty excited. i figure i'll ring thing plane out til it breaks then use all the parts on a cub 40 that i have waiting for an engine and servos!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
shortfellow

Hey yaniel, don't be in a hurry to trash a fun plane like the tribute so you can downgrade to a cub 40.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
mystar46

If you get to the point where you wear out your Tribute, you'll sell the Cub to get another one. It's addictive!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Yaniel

i finally got to fly the tribute today (first one came with a broken wing) and it does fly great, only problem is that evolution 36 is definitely lacking in thrust. i'm almost at full throttle to get it to hang there and the pull out doesnt really exist, it'll just fall forward and keep flying. fortunately i dont need the motor for the cub anymore since i put a 4stroke on it but now i'm thinking about upgrading the motor on the tribute for something a little more powerful. i'm using an 11x4, anything that may provide more thrust than that? i also glued the wings on to provide a little more strength to the fuselage.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM
shortfellow

Hello again Yaniel,
The 36 engine has been tried and proven. The 11x4 prop is the correct one. The engine must be tuned properly. I use 20-20 fuel for max power. This, of course, will require retuning. The plane does have a fuel bubbling problem, which is noticeable when you have a full tank and need full power. You won't get full power with a full tank. For hovering I take off with half a tank of fuel. There is probably still some bubbling at half tank but it doesn't sap the power. For hovering I use a half ounce weight on the tail. Try it and give us a report.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
RustyT3FT

Has anyone even considered taking 2-3mm thick woven carbon fiber strips (basically cover the whole side profile of the fuse) & using epoxy or some other means of adhering it to the fuse for more rigidity. It seems to make the most sense....real light & rigid....issue resolved!

I'm contemplating on purchasing a PNP & I want to address this common issue without repeated repairs.

Also can these planes be started by hand? I don't care to shell out the loot for a starter if it's not even necessary.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: RustyT3FT

Has anyone even considered taking 2-3mm thick woven carbon fiber strips (basically cover the whole side profile of the fuse) & using epoxy or some other means of adhering it to the fuse for more rigidity. It seems to make the most sense....real light & rigid....issue resolved!

I'm contemplating on purchasing a PNP & I want to address this common issue without repeated repairs.

Also can these planes be started by hand? I don't care to shell out the loot for a starter if it's not even necessary.

i cant help about the carbon, but i always hand start mine.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I guess I must be alone on this plane. I find the 36 to be underpowered, the airframe flexible, the landing gear soft, and the servos...if you can call them that...completely unable to recenter.

I would not recommend the PNP tribute to anyone.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
jdkxtreme

I love my plug n play..And I have about 10 planes so I am not new to it..
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Well, I guess I must be alone on this plane. I find the 36 to be underpowered, the airframe flexible, the landing gear soft, and the servos...if you can call them that...completely unable to recenter.

I would not recommend the PNP tribute to anyone.

i'm not doubting you but maybe you just got a bum one, arfs are the luck of the draw most times and pnp adds to the variables. i havent noticed any flex in my airframe but i glued mine together. soft landing gear are a blessing, especially when landing from a harrier,i rather bend a gear than snap a fuselage and my servo's return to center perfectly. the 36 isnt as over powered as i'd like but the more i fly the plane the more i think its adequate.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
i300i

I received my Tribute 35 PnP yesterday. When I unwrapped the wing, the battery was clunking around inside the wing. After I fished out the battery, I fished out about a dozen chunks of inner bulkhead balsa that the battery damaged during shipping. I called Horizon Hobby tech and they're sending a new ARF wing at no charge. If you're buying at your LHS, be sure to open up the box and check the wing. The cold in MN really does a number on the covering during shipping, but that's why I have an iron.

This is my first fuel plane; I have a few comparable in size EP planes, so this should be fun. Overall cost of the Tribute Pnp is much less.

Question about balancing-- How much do the flying characteristics change between full and empty tank?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Yaniel

mine had the same problem with the wing and they replaced it no problem. about the fuel, mine flies much better with half a tank or less since the cg is further back, i normally start flying with half a tank.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
i300i

So, balance to H-9 recommendations with 1/2 tank, then?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
shortfellow

Negative, balance it with an empty tank. Keep in mind that this is the initial balance. If hovering is your thing you will probably find that a little weight on the tail works wonders. So does a little more power, which you can get with a higher nitro fuel. If you use higher nitro make sure you retune the carb. I use 20-20.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 AM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Tribute 36 PnP ??

Short flight of my tribute 36 plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ClfHXfOFw
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: shortfellow

Hello again Yaniel,
The 36 engine has been tried and proven. The 11x4 prop is the correct one. The engine must be tuned properly. I use 20-20 fuel for max power. This, of course, will require retuning. The plane does have a fuel bubbling problem, which is noticeable when you have a full tank and need full power. You won't get full power with a full tank. For hovering I take off with half a tank of fuel. There is probably still some bubbling at half tank but it doesn't sap the power. For hovering I use a half ounce weight on the tail. Try it and give us a report.
Replace the clunk with a foam one and the foaming will no longer be a problem. With a full tank and a 46LA there's about 15 minutes or more of flying !
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Backfired

I just ran the third tank in my Tribute. Flys great, loving it but last flight throttle would not go all the way down to idle. Acted like the throttle was stuck. I had programmed the mix switch as a kill switch so I was able to kill the engine and dead stick in. I restarted,readjusted low needle and could not get it to repeat on the ground. My question is, what should I be looking for? In hindsight I should have given throttle to rule out the servo but it seems to be working fine.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 PM
danmart

hey guys how ya doin, was thinking to transfer an OS 40LA from my trainer to the tribute, so..will it pull out of a hover?? dunno if any has tried this combo b4. this plane really seems like a load o' fun
thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Danmart,

It will work just fine.. Just not ballistic pull out.. Remember to keep the overall weight as light as possible and you will have a great flying and inexpensive bird!

Good Luck,

Hibrass
Old 06-23-2008, 07:27 AM
RaceCraftRC

ORIGINAL: djnsayne

Short flight of my tribute 36 plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ClfHXfOFw
LOL thats a good little flight my first tribute got leanthed the hard way two!!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 AM
danmart

hey hibrass thanks for the reply, ill try with an 11x4APC. should b a great funfly

good flights!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Anyone try a 55ax in the Tribute yet?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Mugen Mbx5

I have a 46AX and a 55AX,i'm going to install the 46. Anyone else here have a BB .46 in this plane? How much weight did it take to balance out the .46? I hate to add weight but I don't want to cut the covering to move servos or batterys around. Anyone have a similar set up that can share their experiance with weight and prop selection?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 AM
gary132

ive fitted a os52fs in mine which pulls it around great.
i didn't know of this weakness problem until today. i will now be doing re-inforcing work to keep my model from crashing in two parts.
i will also be glueing my wing & canopy down to ensure fuse stiffness & strength