Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 06:44 AM
Glitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

I don't want to sound like a real fan of Vmar, but I'm also happy with their Tomahawk, I think their quality control has much improved since I bought the PC-9.
The covering on my Tomahawk is much better, although the panel lines etc are a bit overdone. Also the pilot's eyes looks like he has just survived one of my approaches.
A little sluggish thru the takeoff roll with a T.T. 54 4C and the weight of a hefty on board glo nicad. looks nice in flight, handles well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44048_17076.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	27225  
Old 12-31-2002, 06:58 AM
Glitch

Thanks DF Man,
You're right, a 4 blade prop would look 'schmick'
I think the Pro 46 is just right, maybe a ground roll of 50 ? feet on T-Off, although you hot rodders would probably like a little more zip.
The spinner I just measured at 2 1/4 inches, sorry, I don't know who makes them as the LHS (Hobby shop ?) had 3 on the wall from old stock and sold them for $5 each, I grabbed the 3 of them, (you can see another on the Tomahawk) the 3rd spinner was turned into aluminium dust when I lost a nice Airsail (kit)Tomahawk at full throttle (6 months work down the shooter)
I think you'll really enjoy the PC-9.
Regards,
Old 12-31-2002, 07:03 AM
Glitch

Sorry,
You asked where from, Col Taylor has them mail order at AUD$229
Old 12-31-2002, 11:38 AM
RC2K3

This will be only my second plane after my trainer, my LHS recomended it

How do you think Ill do??
Old 12-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Glitch

Hi DF Man,
I'll probably start a firestorm for saying it, but I think models like the Piper Cub are not as easy as the PC-9 in the T-Off & Ldg phase, the Cub is a tail dragger and needs elevator inputs in the initial take off roll and will weathervane more than trike gear. They also tend to wallow around on the approach with the flat bottom wing in any breeze.
On the other hand the PC-9 is more 'slippery' in roll and a bit faster on approach and can 'get away from you' a little quicker.
I'd stick with a trike gear set up and maybe have a more experienced bloke trim it out for you and stay beside you for the first few flights. Just a personal opinion, but I think the PC-9 flies very well and believe you won't have any hassles.
You should get quite a few various recommendations when the US of A locals come on line.
Regards and happy new year.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:18 PM
RC2K3

Hey GLITCH even the experienced guys with big 30cc mustangs still want the club expert to get them in the air on the maiden flight (he can fly anything!) but I guess theres someone like that at every club
Old 12-31-2002, 12:57 PM
Glitch

Right again DF Man,
The experts can fly anything, although I guess not the impossible.
I lost control of a CM Pro FW-190 with Saito 170 radial, retracts, flaps, on board glo on the downwind leg first flight. I rapidly handed the box to the club ace but Oh Oh, kept rolling and went in at full throttle, turns out the PC board in the recvr had an intermittent fault under vibration. Mulched the model and broke one of the cylinders on the Saito. Ouch.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:59 PM
RC2K3

Ouch how many $$$$ were lost in that crash!! Then Include the radio!!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Glitch

I don't like to own up, but it's really my fault, I wasn't totally happy with the ground range check but the 'experts' said it was OK (Eclipse 7) Also fly a Flash 5 and that had quite a few more paces ground range. Had the Eclipse in a new Airsail Tomahawk(kit) and the club ace lost it, not his fault at all.
Sent the radio back (but not to the Hitec Agents) and put a new recvr in the FW, again I wasn't too impressed with the range check but those good ol' boys at the field said it was enough.
( I'm a very slow learner !!) Boom, goodnight FW-190. Enough, this time it went back to the Hitec guys, turns out the trans. was down on output and the intermittent recvr. fault came up on test. Hitec were great, tuned up the Tx and even supplied a new recvr. all free. All this time the PC-9 (with the Flash 5) has performed perfectly, no wonder I look at as an old friend. No hassles, nice to fly. ( The FW was around $550, the Saito bits & pieces cost $300, the Robart retracts survived !)
Old 01-01-2003, 02:02 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When will you all learn?

Why don't you do a search on older threads on VMAR (virtual model aircraft ripoff) and witness what most of us who have had the unfortunate experience of parting with hard earned greenbacks for these pile of crappy-wooded, shelfpaper covered, miss-aligned, inferior hardware, thin cheap plastic-parted poor excuses for ARFs have to say about them. I am speaking from personal experience. I own and have owned a ton of arfs and I can truly say this one ranked in the lower 5% of quality! DON'T DO IT!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:29 AM
Cappie

Default Don't Hold Back Now

Manfred,

Maybe you have had a bad experience....maybe the people at VMAR have recognized and corrected the problems since you owned one.

Have you personally contacted them? What was their response like? Maybe you can get an ARF gratis because of the problems....you know every problem can be an opportunity....

Michael
Old 01-01-2003, 04:24 AM
RC2K3

Hey MANFRED how long has it been since youve actually checked out a VMAR model?? They've only changed things in the past 2-3 yrs. plus all cheap ARF's have problems.....
Old 01-01-2003, 10:07 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey there, Deaf Man:
Originally posted by DF MAN
Hey MANFRED how long has it been since youve actually checked out a VMAR model?? They've only changed things in the past 2-3 yrs. plus all cheap ARF's have problems.....
We have a comparatively large club, two VMar's have come in the last month.

Yes, they look like they're covered with shelf paper. The graphics are "Over the top" to use a quaint Limey phrase, and this past Sunday a VMar Texan II lost its wing when the plastic screws both failed. Being fair about the screw failure, it happened on a rough landing where I thought they should have held, and the plane was flying again later the same day.

The best I am willing to say is that the VMar airplanes are adequate. Would I buy one? Absolutely not.

VMar planes: at best just so-so. In my hanger a total no-no.

Bill.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Marshy

well as for the wing bolts a bad landing will make any model fail even if it cost $100000,all you guys that bag the poor old Vmar live in the US and you are only buying US gear!!! its not that bad,c"mon stop *****in, who cares what type of kit your flying!!!AS LONG AS YOUR FLYING WHO CARES ANYWAY!!! next we will be *****in about what car you drive.......
Old 01-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Glitch

Whats with this "when will you all learn" and "deaf man".
I truly respect your opinions, but with 18,000 hours full scale (last 15 years check & training B-767) and 40 years modeling, I'm at least entitled to my views without the sarcasm,.
Well, maybe a little sarcasm, like "Wow, sheared both the wing bolts on touch down, I'm surprised we didn't feel the crunch here down under in Oz, and it flew again the same day !!!!"
Old 01-01-2003, 01:15 PM
adrian-RCU

in most planes that we have build over time the first place we look for weakness is at the landing gear then fire wall then wing bolts and the rest ,bad landing gear we've had them so now we fix before we cry, my dad believes prevention is better than cure works for sure on arfs,
Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 AM
RC2K3

My VMAR will be here in less than 2 weeks .
If I find any problems I'll post them right here
Old 01-02-2003, 03:26 AM
blacvet
My Feedback: (1)

Manfred took the words out of my mouth,I just finished building the vmar texan ll this new years day,what a piece of junk.I bought this because of agood write up in Oct issue of Model Airplane.This model I have must have been manufactured during "happy hour"at the vietnamese factory.Everything was poorly done.I wouln't buy or recommend Vmar to anyone.The magazine used a OS 70 Surpass in their model,in mine I am getting an eye hook and some wire and have a 149.00 decoration hanging from my ceiling.You think maybe I am not happy about the Vmar texan ll?
Old 01-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Cappie

Default It's a race...Seagul vs. VMAR

Hey DF MAN,

I am starting the Seagull kit this Friday, just finished a super sporters over new years....I will take pictures and post them on this thread. We'll see about all these opinions....

I just can't wait two weeks for your ARF to arrive

Michael
Old 01-02-2003, 03:58 AM
Cappie

Default First Pictures

OK,

Here are the first pics of the Seagul Kit PC-9

Name:	44494_16270.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	27226  
Old 01-02-2003, 04:00 AM
Cappie

Default 2nd Pic of PC-9 Seagul

I didn't know that the ARF came with pre-hinged ele, ail, and rud!!!! That is half the work taken care of...

Name:	44497_16270.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	27227  
Old 01-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Cappie

Default Where it all happens

Here is a pic of my workspace....

Michael

Name:	44498_16270.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	27228  
Old 01-02-2003, 04:13 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Blacvet:

I was fortunate enough to have other people buy them before I had decided to. But you have your bucks tied up, and the blasted things do fly. So, unless you just want a decoration to hang, go ahead and fly your "Shelf-Paper Special."

Until you go out and try, you'll never know if it'll fly.

Bill.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:20 AM
Cappie

Default More Images of Seagul PC-9

Looks like a lot of epoxy will be needed for the firewall, and the fasteners will all be replaced......

Name:	44507_16270.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	27229  
Old 01-02-2003, 04:21 AM
Cappie

Default More GLue needed

Look at the "tack" glueing of the servo tray.....

Name:	44508_16270.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	27230  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.