Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Old 12-29-2002, 10:06 AM
RC2K3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Hi,
Im looking at buying a PC-9 from either Seagull Models or that VMAR one everyone is always bagging, has anyone any experience with the Seagull PC-9?? You can get them from horizon hobbies. VMAR PC-9 comes in the texan II or the Australian "Rouletts" aerobatic team coverings. Is the covering on VMAR as bad as they say?? I am also struggling to find reveiws and info on the Segull as well.

Thanks guys
Old 12-29-2002, 10:18 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DF:

Don't know about the Seagull, never seen one.

The panel lines, rivets, and canopy bows on the V-mar are all "Over the top." Don't like them. Seen three here, only one had a poor covering job. But one had the canopy bows break up in flight.

In the V-mar line, the "Texan II" has minor variations from the PC-9, probably a bit stronger.

It's the printing of rivets and lines that turns me off the V-mar.

I've closely inspected the V-mar,
. sight unseen it's the Seagull, by far.

Bill.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:58 PM
RC2K3

Really I like the "scaleness" of the VMAR. The seagull one is not as scale as the VMAR the tail has a split elevator and the rudder sort of goes in between the 2 halve right down to the bottom of the fuse, it also only has 1 pilot and cruddy control panel. The seagull is built realy well actually and the covering is good iron on stuff with decals cut and applied already. Heres a pic and a link to the aussie distributors info page (not much info actually)

http://www.modelengines.com.au/aircraft/pc9.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43595_19870.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	27222  
Old 12-29-2002, 01:39 PM
adrian-RCU

we love our seagullpc9 among st others flies great strong plane but as with all our planes we do modify lots we don't trust arf goodies so we use du-bro/great plane acc. for the rest we have several guys flying pc9's all happy and many other seagull models.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Cappie

Default REF: don't trust arf goodies

Adrian,

I just got my PC-9 ARF from a local store here in Dallas, and the kit looks good. What did you modify on the a/c? What don't you trust on the stock ARF?

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 03:57 PM
adrian-RCU

the wooden push rods the first to go- replace with metal in carbon or allum. plastic horn clevisis to metal in tail- strenthen wing to body wood dowl pin area. epoxy inside of firewall and wing bolt area.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:11 PM
Cappie

Default PC-9 better than original

Hi Adrian,

Yep, those are great suggestions....looks like the engine mounting screws look very light, I am going to replace them with stainless fasteners, and lock-tight. What engine are you using? I am going with the OS FX .46...

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 06:49 PM
adrian-RCU

+we run a tt46 with a max pipe. sometimes a st51 . your fx will be great for good vertical we use 10x6/7 and for speed 11x5/6.
go to our gallery some pics there.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Cappie

Default run a tt46 with a max pipe. sometimes a st51

Hi Adrian,

I looked at the gallery, very nice. Where in Israel do you live, my wife has many cousins in the West Bank and Jerusalem. Most are serving in the Army right now....the times require it.

Did you have any problems with the fiberglass cowling and the engine size?

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 07:10 PM
adrian-RCU

we live in tel aviv, its like a world away from all the !@#$#@ so we only see it on CNN. we have lots of new people getting into the hobby and of late are flying from a military airbase where they fly the predators those spy drones and lots of activity now with the Iraq thing.
the cowl works great with the 46 /51 sure it will be fine with your fx. enjoy!!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Cappie

Default Thanks for the feedback

Adrian,

Thanks, I plan on having the a/c complete in the next week or so...depending on workload etc... I will post some pictures.

All I can remember about Tel Aviv is drinking too much Have to go back some day.

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 07:26 PM
adrian-RCU

you're welcome, my dad is a beer and fly man of note we are sure to follow in his foot steps, cheers
Old 12-29-2002, 10:29 PM
RC2K3

Thanks for the good word guys
So does everyone agree that the Seagul is a better plane or have you guys had no experience with the VMAR?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:25 AM
Cappie

Default Vmar vs. Seagull

DF MAN,

Sorry, I have no experience with VMAR, been on their site and was not impressed...though I really like the TexanII.

Having the PC-9 ARF, it looks great, needs a little work, could be the same with VMAR. Wish I could help more....

Michael
Old 12-30-2002, 11:17 AM
RC2K3

Default Got my Seagull PC-9 for $200AUS

Hey "CAPPIE" Have you looked inside the fuse down to where the firewall is joined......*** ********** SWEAT SHOP WITH THEIR DAM HOT GLUE GUNS!!! It doesnt look pretty but its actually pretty strong, I also noticed that some of the balsa stick thingys are cut about 1mm shrt and the gaps are only half filled with glue. Dam and I just ran out of CA! Did you experience any such problems with yor model??

CYA
DF MAN
Old 12-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Marshy

I have a Vmar Pc9 and have put a 61 in and she flys like a dream, Vmar are good kits for the money,and to all the guys that bag the Vmar kits stick to baging your kits that you have spent months geting all the RIBS cut!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
troyp

DF MAN,
Ask yourself why the Seagull PC-9 is only $189.00 Aus whilst the Vmar PC-9 is $250.00 Aust.
(Heres some info on the Vmar PC-9)

http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Re...pc946a.gif&ip={mt=da&it=n&ap=radio&co=prdetail&us=1032957193-9&kn=pr.pr-air-4-149-1265-001&}

And the seagull PC-9 here.

http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Re...r=1032957193-9

The seagull will only handle up to a 52 size engine whilst the Vmar will allow up to a 61. (Ive seen Marshys pc-9 with a 61 in and it flys great.)
I think the Vmar PC-9 is a great plane. It looks great and flys well. The elevator does look better as it goes right through just like the real plane. The Vmar is definetely more scale looking than the Seagull.

Hope this helps,

Troy.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:57 PM
troyp

Sorry but those links above only seem to take you to the main page. If you look under Aircraft...R/C Models Gas...Aircraft Pattern/Aerobatic
you will find the Seagull model, and look under Aircraft...R/C Models Gas.....Air Craft Scale ARF to find the Vmar model. Clcik on details to see some ifno on each plane. The Vmar model shows many close up photos of the plane.

Regards,

Troy.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Ringo-RCU

I have the big VMAR PC-9 with 81" wingspan. The airplane looks beautifull and flies like a dream. The cover sucks since is not iron on, and a lot of work has to be done regarding strengtening of some critical areas.

Comparing it to the Seagull model (which is really a Tucano dressed up like a PC-9) is a lot more scale and real.

You can see a picture of mine if you go to the pictures Gallery and type ASPADA under search, you'll see how beautifull it looks.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:35 PM
Cappie

Default Passion about RC Planes

You know, I have found that opinions about r/c planes start at the spinner and don't stop until you get to the rudder.

I have yet to work on an ARF that didn't need a little help here and there....besides, that what it's all about...getting intimate with the a/c.

Just because I wasn't impressed with VMAR's site doesn't mean that their planes aren't quality...

DF MAN....I think that a lot of expoxy in all the right places will add some confidence back....it looks like the whole firewall needs coating too.

Michael
Old 12-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Cappie

Default Texas Hobby Store

Forgot about the price: $135.00 USD
Old 12-30-2002, 04:24 PM
adrian-RCU

bingo- we have arf's from seagull, yellow, hanger9, world model,great planes, black horse, s2g, thunder tiger and so on , believe me if we had to put the stick on all the faults and short comings of these planes i will never have time to fly. so with all arf's we go through the plane check fix, strengthen and put in the stuff we have over time come to trust like du=bro and great planes this is hinges, clevises etc . we end up with a great flying and reliable plane no matter what. for the record we have had some of the better brands crash be cause of bad wood, build defects and lots more.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:44 AM
RC2K3

Adrian, Imy first plane was a thunder tiger pegasus, yeah that ugly looking huge white thing! The covering was so thin that when you put your hand on the fuse while starting it you're fingers go right throug it!! Pretty strong construction though, the fuse was all lite ply!!

BTW: Hated the Seagull and took it back. They gave me $199 store credit and they are ordering me the VMAR. I think the only bad thing on the VMAR is the stick on covering, gotta love the scale looks though. And has the proper tail configuration for the PC-9, not the tucano type . Any heads up on what to strengthen on the VMAR? I wonder if I can sqeeze retracts in there........

Name:	44034_19870.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	27223  
Old 12-31-2002, 06:30 AM
Glitch

G'Day DF Man,
Good choice.
I know it's fashionable to knock Vmar but my PC-9 has over 75 'happy' flights with a T.T. Pro 46.
looks much nicer than the Seagull side by side, especially the straight thru centre section with the dihedral on the outer panels.
Sure, a little epoxy around the inner firewall to fuse joint may be a good idea, but at around AUD$229 it's not bad buying.

Name:	44046_17076.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	27224  
Old 12-31-2002, 06:32 AM
RC2K3

Very nice Glitch!
What kind of performance do you get with the tt pro 46? Ie got one around here...........somewhere?
Wouldn't a 4 blade prop make it look great standing still!
Where did you get yours for $229?

BTW: What kind and size spinner is that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.