Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Bent aluminum wing tube

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Bent aluminum wing tube

Old 07-03-2006, 04:22 PM
sledman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent aluminum wing tube

I bent my aluminum wing tube in my Super Kraft Texas Hurricane during a deadstick/hard landing. I was able to reshape it, but I'm afraid that may have weakened it. I see plenty advertised that are 1-1/4", mine measures slightly larger in diameter at 2.269". Is that enough to matter?

BTW, the deadstick was caused by running out of gas......which I HAD to do, because the ball socket linkage came loose from the throttle horn, and I had zero throttle control. I had another pilot take over after a while to give me a break while we flew around at about half throttle waiting for it to run out of gas...............
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bent aluminum wing tube

ORIGINAL: sledman

I bent my aluminum wing tube in my Super Kraft Texas Hurricane during a deadstick/hard landing. I was able to reshape it, but I'm afraid that may have weakened it. I see plenty advertised that are 1-1/4", mine measures slightly larger in diameter at 2.269". Is that enough to matter?

1" difference? You bent the larger one didn't you? No chance the smaller will hold up unless the wall thickness it twice to three times the large one. You are correct about it being weakend. Tubing, especially aluminum tubing doesn't take kindly to bends.

Wasn't there some wing or fuselage damage also? Something had to give to allow the tube to bend.

Don

Old 07-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

I think you meant 1.269. Right?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing at a few details here..........

The location of the bend is out in the open right? It's not inside a close fitting tube, like in either wing panel right?

If the bend is out in the open, then reinforce it. You could wrap it in fiberglass. If it's a tube, then you could also reinforce it from within if the outside is not accessable.

You might also be able to slip a smaller OD tube into your re-straightened one. Or slip a close fitting tube over yours.

Does someone offer replacement parts for that model?

You don't have to use the same material again. Carbon fiber tubes are available.

The wing tubes can be retrofitted to match whatever you've found for replacement.

If the original tube is aluminum, I wouldn't trust it without reinforcement.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:53 PM
sledman

ORIGINAL: Mr_Scale

I think you meant 1.269. Right?
Oops, yeah, I meant 1.269............
Old 07-04-2006, 04:58 PM
sledman

It's aluminum, the bends are between the wing and the fuse, not out in the open. I would just as soon buy a new replacement, just want to make sure that 1.25" would work in place of the original 1.269". I don't want any slop.

And yes, the was other minor damage. The LG plate broke off clean, the fuel tank mount dislodged, there is a small hole in one wing from a wheel, and some slight cowl damage. It didn't hit real hard, but after bending the aluminum wing tube back, I can tell you that the tube is REAL soft.............

It will likely be repaired before I have a replacement tube............