Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What's the best 120 size Stik (Stick)?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Goldberg
12.28%
Hanger 9
71.93%
Great Planes
15.79%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What's the best 120 size Stik (Stick)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's the best 120 size Stik (Stick)?

Looking for input on the best built ARF 120 size Stik. I have an OS 120 FS to put on it, or I have a 120 Thunder Tiger 2 stroke. I own and fly a 40 size Hanger 9 Stik, and want something bigger. I have found 3- Goldberg, Great Planes, and Hanger 9. Which is the best and why? I am open to input. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM
waagbuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the best 120 size Stik (Stick)?

You might also try the World Models 60-size stick (super stunts). It's big, with a two-piece wing and is lightly built. I bet a 120 four-stroke would be great fun.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've flown all the H9 "Stiks" and loved them all.....never had the chance to fly the GP 'ARF' sticks....but LOVED their Big Stick 60 KIT - whataplane!!!!

Jerry
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Best" is hard to define. The Giant Big Stick is a big old trainer type plane with dihedral. It's a real *****cat to fly. The Goldberg Wild Stick 120 and the Ultra Stick Lite 120 have flat wings and large controls and would be more suited to "fun" type flying unless you just like to circle around and shoot landings. The Ultra Stick is the lightest of the three so would have the best climb performance. I have not flown the Goldberg, but my other Goldberg ARFs had the trim peel no matter what I did. The Ultra Sticks in my club have had no trouble with covering sticking.

A plane you didn't mention, but one which tops them all for acro performance and climb is Jerry's Big Boy from Morris. It comes as an ARF or as a kit. [link=http://morrishobbies.com/product_info.php?products_id=14028]Jerry's Big Boy[/link]

Also not mentioned is the little known Killer Stick from Northeast Aerodynamics who are known in twin circles for their Twin-Airs. It builds fairly light and has large controls. It comes as a kit only. [link=http://www.ne-aero.com/ks.html]Killer Stick[/link]
Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
RVator

I have flown the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick lites and a Jerry's Big Boy. A guy at our club had a Goldberg Wild Stick he flew with an old and tired Enya 1.20. It did fly good but he had the wing fail in flight. He rolled inverted and pulled into a split S at about half speed the wing stared popping and cracking. It started rolling and he throtled back as it went in. My pick would be the Jerry's Big Boy. It has an 80 inch wing has tall gear that will provide great prop clearance and has the best slow speed preformance. The one I have flown is Suitcases G-26 powered Big Boy. With a lighter glow engine it would really be nice. He wants to repower his with a ys 110 or Saito 125. Check out the thread here on the Big Boy for more info. My second would be the Ultra Stick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24455.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	488767  
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to second the info on the Goldberg......my son's trim all came off no matter what we did to try to stop it from happening. To bad because it really looked nice.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:59 AM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

I'd have to vote for the H9 UltraStik Lite. I've had mine for about 3 years and according to my 10SXII Tx, it has more than 150 hours on it (the total time counter has 'rolled around' once already). That equates to about 750+ flights, which makes sense as I've worn out one YS140, two pairs of tires, three battery packs (2000 maH 5 cell NiMH in the tail) and one set of servos on it so far. Mine has a YS140L with CH header and Hatori pipe and either a Bolly17.5x5 CF or APC 17x4 prop, depending on wind conditions.

Around my club (MRCF) she is known as the "Village Bicycle", as almost everyone has had a try with her, from newbies (very easy to fly and forgiving if a bit nuetral with a rear CG) to the hot sticks, who love her great thrust/weight ratio and low risk nature. Great fun to toss around, durable, very light and a blast to fly in any weather. I normally fly jets but always bring her along as my throw-around bird.

Decent precision manuevers (she'll do the full IMAC Advanced and FAI schedules), fair 3D (not enough knife edge capability and falls off hovers quickly, not enough control surface size), 50' rollouts after 400' vertical diving approaches (with separate flaps and ailerons in crow mode), and an absolute blast doing looping and tight circling touch and goes. She's being retired soon, as she's looking a bit beat and after 3 tank failures, a bit soggy up front. I have a Jerry's Big Boy on the bench, which will get her YS and radio gear, which looks to be even more fun to fly (lighter, and thicker wing=more drag/slower manuevers) but much more fragile.

A great choice at a bargain price, IMHO.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

For that size engine you might want to consider the Model Tech Joss Stick. If you go with it I recommend two things. Neutralize the ARF's dihedral and install dual airlon servos. The other sticks you list really need stronger engines than the OS 120.

I like full envelopes with my sticks, which means I usually power them at the high end of manufacturer's recommendations.

1.) Model Tech Joss Stick ARC -- the MDS 68 you see on it was whofully underpowered. I went with a Magnum XL 120 and had a ball with this airplane. Unfortunately it was early in my flight career and ultimately ended up embedded in a tree following a Split-S move.

2.) Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 120 -- I've actually owned 4 of these airplanes and powered each one with an OS FX-160. The final selection bird also had the TnT Tall landing gear which allowed me to put an 18" prop on the OS. A friend of mine also had one of these with a Moki 180 on it. I'm not familiar with the current LIGHT version so don't know if you can get comparable performance with smaller engines.

3.) Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 -- My favorite stick. I had a Saito FS-100 on it and the engine/plane was a marriage made in heaven. The reason I don't recommend this airplane for your OS 120 is due to engine weight -- it might pose a balance problem.

4.) Model Tech Joss Stick ARF -- I started out with the Magnum XL-120 but then developed problems with this engine -- I turned into a dead-stick expert on this engine/plane combo. I eventuallu replaced the Magnum XL-120 with an OS BX-1 1.08, a perfect match. This is the Joss Stick that is still available but as I indicated above loose the dihedral and replace the airlon torgue rod with dual servos.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
w5kfg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Carl Goldberd Wild Stick 120 has a fully sys airfoil, not flat bottom
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: w5kfg

The Carl Goldberd Wild Stick 120 has a fully sys airfoil, not flat bottom
The Goldberg Wild Stick 120 and the Ultra Stick Lite 120 have flat wings and large controls
He is not saying these airplanes have flat bottoms; he is saying they have no dihedral.