Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Will Hobby P51D Mustang ARF

Has anyone had any experience with this ARF? I saw one for the first time today, and was impressed by the weight (very light) but was a little concerned about the possibility that the fuse from the firewall to the back of the wing saddle might be a little fragile. Have any of you built and flown this plane?

Thanks for your help.

Vaughan Sharp
    Vaughan Sharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Will Hobby P51D Mustang ARF

Never heard of "Will Hobby" anything...What is it? Electric, gas, nitro? Foamy? Balsa? How big? Where did you see it? Is there a web site for it? A lot of stuff out there under differen't names made in same factory....Cliff

Will Hobby is a valid web site, (willhobby.com) but it is in Chinese! The Mustang in question is shown in invasion stripes with a red vertical fin. It is a (according to them) a .60 two stroke or a .80 -- .90 four stroke size plane. It comes complete with retracts, also. 60" wingspan, 748 sq. in. of wing area. Any info would be a help.

Thanks,

Vaughan
    Vaughan Sharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a Hangar 9 P-51...... China Models is one manf. and they might put it out under a diff label... Unless it is a GREAT by you might want to pay a few $$ more and get something that you can get wupport on.... "ask 10 people, get 11 answers" Cliff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checked out the web site.... For that price, it might be a bargain...looks like the Hangar 9 Miss America. But remember....If it looks too god to be true...it probably is too good to be true. I have made the mistake of looking for a "bargain" and ending up with a big P.O.S... Like to buy a Spitfire or a PT-22 you pay shipping and they are yours.......Cliff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Willshobbies =newyork grace on Ebay .Just the facts
    1)The pics on there web are inaccurate , they use H9 Planes for some of there pics because there seems to be a major language barrier with some of there people .
    2)Becarful , there planes are very very nice but there ads on e-bay are inaccurate , I and HalH purchased there 66" seafury , nice fiberglass fuse , light wing loading but the ads states "optional retracts " to them optional means "cut out existing fixed gear rails, cut into wing, calculate proper angle of gear , glass area for new mounts ,purchase plyrails, install , build your own wells , recover ect ect ect . I am doing this as we speak and so is Hal H . If you can bid /buy cheap there worth it just be prepared .The seller is a jerk will not answer emails and will give you (as me ) a bad rating if you simply state the obviuos about the 'descriptive errors in there ads " he usually says "Lieing buyer " retracts can buy from Tower Hobbies lol . Ok to recap , bid cheap the planes are nice , dont be surprised if there planes have or do not have retract rails .
    There is a guy on the other rc web name "Tony" he works for the factory , shows up post some pics , then disappears for about 6 months
    there is a better seller for warbirds on ebay
    mkland - nicer planes and better communication
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here some pics of the mods , I also chose to split the flap , the original flap would be functional but I wanted a split flap . Obviously the real Seafury has a split flap but its also two pieces and I did not opt to do that mod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23866.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	492641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67449.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	492642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12440.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	492643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50265.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	492644  
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up a Will Hobby Trainer 40 on fleebay for something like $55 including shipping. I wasn't expecting much however I was amazed at the quality. It's way lighter then I expected and it's got a decent covering job.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Will hobby P-51 60 is the exact same as a Hangar Nine. In fact, it comes with the Hangar Nine instruction manual.

Can be purchased for under $100 vs $254 for the H9.

Jerry Lu is the US distributor and I got mine from him for under $100 (shipped)

Here's Jerry's e-mail: yuejin2002@gmail.com

There are a few differences though:

1) The retracts and wheel-wells are not pre-installed like H9 (which is nice because you can re-enforce inside the wing where the gear mounts before installing the wheel-wells) I consider this to be a plus over the H9!!!

2) The retracts and wheel-wells are not good quality and I did not use them. The good news is that you can buy new Hangar-Nine Wheel Wells from Horizon hobby for $7.99/Pair. (and they fit) So, it's no big deal!

3) The color scheme is different and I like it better than the H9 (gotta love those invasion stripes).

As with most of today's ARFs, the hardware bag should be thrown into the trash barrell!

For the power plant, I used the OS91 SurpassII with a Keleo creations exhaust (yes those are functioning exhaust stacks)

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/OS-91.htm

It flies better than it looks. It tracks really nice and has no bad habits. This is a real bank and yanker. On landing though you gotta have the engine idle way down or she just keeps on flying.

[img][/img]

Name:	Zx72518.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	589981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79129.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	589982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In27951.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	589983  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a wills hobby seafury update , also a Top Flight Copy as far as specs , CG & decals .
    The fuse is weak , needs reinforcement , overall a great deal for $169 delivered , I could have got it cheaper.

Name:	Fd91422.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	590019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86168.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	590020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38894.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	590021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Au57077.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	590022  
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chickenstik

The Will hobby P-51 60 is the exact same as a Hangar Nine. In fact, it comes with the Hangar Nine instruction manual.

Can be purchased for under $100 vs $254 for the H9.

Jerry Lu is the US distributor and I got mine from him for under $100 (shipped)

Here's Jerry's e-mail: yuejin2002@gmail.com

There are a few differences though:

1) The retracts and wheel-wells are not pre-installed like H9 (which is nice because you can re-enforce inside the wing where the gear mounts before installing the wheel-wells) I consider this to be a plus over the H9!!!

2) The retracts and wheel-wells are not good quality and I did not use them. The good news is that you can buy new Hangar-Nine Wheel Wells from Horizon hobby for $7.99/Pair. (and they fit) So, it's no big deal!

3) The color scheme is different and I like it better than the H9 (gotta love those invasion stripes).

As with most of today's ARFs, the hardware bag should be thrown into the trash barrell!

For the power plant, I used the OS91 SurpassII with a Keleo creations exhaust (yes those are functioning exhaust stacks)

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/OS-91.htm

It flies better than it looks. It tracks really nice and has no bad habits. This is a real bank and yanker. On landing though you gotta have the engine idle way down or she just keeps on flying.

[img][/img]

Sounds like a good risk. Do it. $100 is expendable

If you see the Giant 160 size Long EZ from Richmodels in one of these stupid sites, let me know. $569 is a bit stiff
    Retired Army Aviator - Where the heck have I been?

Hey guys!

I just got a sweet deal on the exact same Mustang as Chickenstik has pictured. Won it NIB for $80 (including s&h) off Ebay so figured I couldn't go wrong. Plane however is somewhat different than the H9 "Marie" Mustang.

For anybody that's got one and assembled it, what's with the Retract servo bay in the center of the wing? Am I supposed to cut wood out of this area to get access to the bay to install the servo? Obviously the H9 "Marie" manual that was copied and tossed into the box doesn't address this! LOL!

Also the firewall sure has alot of right thrust built in. Just eyeballing it I'd swear it's like 3 or 4 degrees! Is that not overkill? Should I be concerned and shim my engine back to 2 degrees of right thrust? There's no way it's only at 2 degrees at the moment!

The backside of the firewall appears pretty stoutly braced with large pieces of triangle stock, but I think I'm going to eopxy in some extra fiberglass cloth just to be sure... I'm using an RCV 90 SP engine which generates tremedous torque so I don't want that firewall coming loose EVER!

Finally, there's a plastic part that was sealed in a baggy that for the life of me I can't tell where it goes or what it's supposed to be! It's half-round grey plastic. I'm almost inclined to think it got in the box by accident and it belongs to a different model type! LOL!

I like the ailerons on this plane better than on another Mustang ARF I got last summer (NitroPlanes 60 Mustang). They're a little longer and to me appear more scale like. The wing fairings are also a nice addition over the NitroPlanes model!

I've decided to go ahead and slap the NitroPlanes Mustang together "as-is" and do the BARF'ing on this Will Hobby Mustang instead (cutting in flaps, adding retractable tailwheel, fully sheeting the wing and tail feathers, doing a custom covering scheme for "Bald Eagle", stuff like that).

If anybody else has one of these Will Hobby Mustangs I'd appreciate your thoughts on it's assembly, durability, and flight performance! Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ps. The air scoop on the underside of the WillHobby Mustang is far better shaped on this model than on the H9 "Marie's" I've seen out at my club's field! Even so though, I intend to dremel it out inside to form the shape of an actual airscoop as part of my BARF project. Hehehe!

- Michael [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a Willhobby Mustang "Miss America" I got off ebay. I arranged the stars to form the Southern Cross so its now a Miss Australia Mustang

It's a lot different to Chickenstik and Michael211's Mustang tho. Not as nice or scale I dont reckon. It doesnt have the same detail.

It is very light. I reckon it would make a decent electric conversion.

The quality is questionable, but I only paid $80 AUD for it so I can live with the quality issues.

I ditched most of the hardware.

It came with retracts, but 6 of the 12 screws that held them together were stripped (three screws fell out just pulling them out of the bag) and they were very notchy when you operated them so I just epoxied them in the down position. Wasnt going to risk killing the plane due to overloading servo's etc. Won't look as nice in the air, but it will be my hack plane anyway.

I have to brace the firewall from the inside as there isnt much glue that I can see and no triangle stock at all. I will run a bead of epoxy around the inside and whack some triangle stock in there to beef it up.

The wing is nicely done, but the tail feathers are not even close to scale. If it flies well I will think about recovering it (dodgy covering job).

It should have a very light wing loading so it should fly well.

The engine has a HEAP of right thrust. And from what I can tell by eye it has very little down thrust. So will be interesting to see if this is correct or needs adjusting.

Overall considering the money I paid I am happy with it.

This is the third Willhobby plane for me and I will buy them again providing they are cheap ($100 AUD or thereabouts).

Name:	Ig12019.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	1041637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35898.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	1041638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty65049.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	1041639  
    Club Saito member #629

26 engines in the hangar...... I wonder if there is an Engine-aholics Anonymous......