ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Old 08-06-2006, 03:20 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Thanks for this David. Yes, I have a spoileron mix set-up - although because of the stalling problems I experienced before modifying the wing I admit that I haven't used it very much yet. I also have a mix where the flaps go the other way with elevator (flapperons?), and a knife-edge mix which adds a little ele and a little opposite aileron when I hold the nose up with rudder in ke - not really essential but makes ke even easier than it already is. I'm not new to using mixes, in fact I've used flapperon-type mixes on almost every model I've had since 1995. But thanks for the tip anyway. Now that my Funtana is a much nicer-flying model I'll be checking-out its 3-D capabilities quite a lot more over the coming week (weather permitting of course)

Tony
Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another update: I had a really good afternoon's flying with the Funtana today - and I felt completely comfortable with it at all times no matter how I threw it around. It's as aerobatic as any model I've had in the past and will now do everything I need it to do including flat spin, wall, elevator, lomcemvak, and all the other tumble-type maneuvers I fly but don't have a name for . . . . yet at the same time it never feels like it wants to stall! It's also incredibly stable at slow speed either-way-up and there's absolutely no wing-rock in the harrier. What a massive improvement from the original! Thanks again for pointing-out what was wrong with my model dickj

Tony
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,
Please post some pictures of the wing.
Phillip
Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK Jimmy, Here's a pic of the end of the wing complete with its modified leading edge, with a pic of the original leading edge pasted on top for comparison. This is really all you need to see I think. But if you need more I'll send you all I have

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23693.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	503586  
Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Tony,
Does the LE addition follow that pattern all the way to the fusalage? Where you able to use wood preshaped for the LE? More pictures would be nice if it's not too much trouble.
Phillip
Old 08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jimmy: I couldn't find any pre-shaped leading edge which was exactly the right shape, so I just used 1/2-inch thick sheet balsa and then shaped it once it was glued in place. I'll send you some pix

Tony
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are a couple of "bare-wood" before and after pix

Jimmy Hoffa: Did you receive my email showing how the modification was done?

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nl29851.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	503891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65097.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	503892  
Old 08-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info in this thread. I may not buy another Funtana 40 but at least now I don't feel dumb or like it was my fault. This plane flew so bad for me (tip stalls, spin outs or whatever you want to call it) that I could barely get it down without crashing. And dead stick? Forget about it. Resulted in barely controlled crash unless I was high enough to throw the nose down quite a bit. Would not do any 3D stuff I was trying to learn without snapping out. I was actually happy when it went in. Had plenty of power with Saito 82.

Had a similar experience recently with Pacific Aeromodels Edge (65") It had to land really hot and just would not fly slow at all. Did not snap out with elevator though. Was really wonderful at speed. Unfortunately, the one and only time I let it get too far away (West in my case) all control went away and so did it. Chest high stuff so thick you could not see your own feet. Lost my YS110 and everything. HAD to be my fault somehow. Probably had battery come loose or something. Didn't check after last slight landing mishap. Had hoped to fly it more to see if I could learn how.

So, would you buy a Funtana 40 now and modify L. E. like you did instead of something else? What something else similar size?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heritage rider: Really sorry to learn of your loss(es). My Funtana originally flew every bit a badly as you describe yours. At first I suspected that I was just failing to hit the spot with the cg. But I was wrong and it turned-out that the very poorly-shaped leading edge of the wing was to blame all the time

You asked: "So, would you buy a Funtana 40 now and modify L. E. like you did instead of something else? What something else similar size?"

This is a "tricky" question, asked right now. Mainly because I just got back from the strip having flown Miss Funtana again - and I liked and enjoyed doing so even more than I did yesterday. In fact the Funtana has been "promoted" in the space of the past fortnight from the worst-flying model I've ever had, to probably one of the best! But I really didn't expect to have to do this much work when I bought an AFTF model. And I don't like the fact that others are probably still buying and then crashing their Funtanas - and going home wondering what "they" did wrong!

Before flying today I removed the last of the lead weight I had bolted to the engine mount, just to see what would happen - and it flew better still with the tinyest loops and some pretty impressive knife-edge loops now being possible. The "tumbles" were even tighter/faster and the prop-hanging has become a "piece of cake" (although I could use a little more power so that the vertical became unlimited, but that's a whole different story). It was a windy day but the wind didn't bother the Funtana at all. Inverted flight is now a "hands-off" affair and the general handling is even better than it was yesterday - and it still comes-out of a flat spin immediately I let go of the sticks. It really was a lot of fun today

But would I buy another H9 Funtana . . . . definitely not

Not only have I had to work far too hard to get an ARTF model to fly well, I'm also very disapointed with the build-quality. This is my first (and probably my last) H9 model. Some of the build-work is so bad that if I had built it myself I would be ashamed of it. I have pix of half-a-dozen "bad joints," but I'll post just one as an example

But which model would I buy insetead of the Funtana . . . . well, there are so many other models to choose from these days aren't there (this is my 54th model btw). To be honest I don't know which I'd buy instead of the Funtana at the moment. I guess I'd keep reading all the posts here in RCUniverse and see what everyone's raving about right now - and get that one. And having said that: I just imported a Mojo kit from the States, so that's my 55th model sorted Can't wait!

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jh16564.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	504079  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a picture of the outcome of a 30' high massive tip stall. It came down like a lead filled man hole cover in a split second! Fortunately I had just enough time to cut the throttle and no damage was done to the components even though the Saito 82 was "buried".
Phillip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz77957.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	504121  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
mikedsilva

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i know the funtana can be provoked into a tip stall with excessive elevator movement, but isnt that what you want with an aerobatic plane?

i am not a aerobatic or 3D flier. Heck, i mainly fly hotliners! but i took my new funtana to the field and found it flew OK but only if i gave it full up, would it snap out at the top of a loop. I thought that might be a good thing when you want to get it to induce a spin?

again, i am not an expert here... just sharing an opinion...

thanks
Mike
Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Phillip: Ouch! - I sure feel for you! Was this recent? I had visions of my Funtana ending-up like this until I fixed the l.e. Guess I was really lucky. I'm so pleased that mine's stalling characteristics have now gone away

Mike: My Funtana didn't need "provoking into a tip stall with excessive elevator movement." With the stock wing it would tip-stall "viciously" if I so much as "breathed too hard" on the elevator - especially when the model was slowed-up and heading towards a landing . . . . not exactly what you want in any kind of model

I'm no expert where anything's concerned, but when flying I don't want my models to tip-stall or snap-out of loops at all (assuming that I'm flying the maneuvers "sympathetically" of course). I enjoy throwing my models around and making them do things they're not really supposed to do, but at the same time I don't want to be contending with any kind of "un-planned" stall. No, I want my models to be more predictable that that, so that when I fly them close to the stall they aren't in any danger of "biting the dust." But hey, if you're happy with the way yours flies . . . great!

Tony
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
mikedsilva

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nah, im not happy with it.
i dont really like this sort of model at all actually, but i got it so cheap from a friend i couldnt say no.
im going to put the motor back into my GP Shoestring and get back to "yanking and banking!"
Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My crash was a month ago and it's no big deal to me. I won't spend more on a plane than I can afford to loose. If my spinner , motor or servos were hurt, I wouldn't be so nonchallant though! The F40 was replaced with the Funtana X50, which fly's the same to me. For me, I like the way the Funtana's fly. Hovering is easy and I can do some pretty radical stuff. I may modify my wing but I'll have to buy two rolls of covering to match up the stock colors. What a hassle!

I considered replacing the crashed F40 with a Fliton Extra 330 or Edge 540 but the build is not as straight forward and some say the durability is not equivalent. I also considered a Mojo 40, which is a whole different animal (possibly for the better). IMHO, the Funtana 90 does fly better than the 40 and lacks the tip stall trait.
Phillip
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Phillip. Thanks for the detail. I think that if I just wanted to hover I would have been happy to keep the original wing - but I like my planes to "fly properly" when I'm not tying it in knots (occasionally ). Just in passing: I didn't have to re-cover my wing. I peeled the covering back, did the mod, and then re-sealed the covering back in place. Did you receive my email and pix showing how the modification was done?

Tony
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,
I did not receive a email. Please send to pneill@bellsouth.net or just post the pics here for everyone to see. I'm surprised that there was enough covering to go over the extended LE, that would make the job much easier.
Phillip

EDIT: for some reason my email address is getting modified by this site. Here it is again:

pneill@bellsouth.net

2nd EDIT: address posting still doesn't work. use the part after the "greater than" symbol
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just re-sent the message - first time it went to "pneill", this time to "neill". Hope you receive it this time. If you don't just email me at tonymahlony@hotmail.com and I'll send as reply

Tony
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Heritage rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

T.W.,
I haven't had 54 planes yet but I have had several including the MOJO 40. With a Saito 82 on it, that plane will do anything your thumbs can dream up. It is extremely durable. I finally broke mine too bad to fix after stupidly gluing my throttle servo back on so I could keep flying. Won't bother you with the details. It went straight in, broke the engine mount plywood and a little wing damage. I ordered a new one and will get around to building it in a couple of weeks I suppose. It is NOT a precision plane though. Get it for 3D and just throwing around. Mine would hold altitude in a flat spin at full throttle. Had a friend with one that would climb in a flat spin. Same engine. It will snap out sometimes on you but, unlike the Funtana, is very controllable. I learned to do harrier landings with this plane. I could even drag the tailwheel for a bit and I am definitely not that good. It loves to be tail heavy. Loves to hover.

I'm just in the mood right now to learn to fly maneuvers more precise but don't want to spend a fortune on a larger plane right now. The 65" Edge was almost perfect from a cost and precision point of view. Too bad it can't slow down just a little more. Thinking abouut the Aeroworks 60" Edge. Any experience would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
azithinkiam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tony - would you mind e-mailing me the info as well? i'm @ tschmal@nc.rr.com - thanks in advance!

-t.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heritage rider: So my Mojo will definitely "do the business" eh? I can hardly wait to get it into the air, although having said this I'm afraid it's going to have to wait a while as I have far too many other things to do at the moment. But I am nothing if not patient these days

Your throttle servo affair brought back a recent memory: After my Funtana's frightening first flight I (wrongly) assumed that it was tail-heavy, so having nothing better to hand I temporarily fastened a spanner to the engine mount with elastic wing-bands so that I could test-fly the model again the same afternoon (I didn't fit the cowl until after I'd modified the wing btw). The extra nose-weight made no difference, so for the third flight my steel prop-reamer was also elastic-banded to the engine mount

The subsequent take-off was a little "less revvy" than I'd expected, and once in the air I realised that the engine wasn't actually running near as fast as I expected. I flew the model around the circuit trying to get more revs, but the engine refused to respond - and it continued to refuse to respond when I closed the throttle too. So I had to fly the tank dry . . . . and 26 minutes later, when the engine finally ran out of fuel, I finally landed (safely). Checking the model over I soon realised what had gone wrong: I'd managed to entangle the engine's throttle lever with the elastic bands! Yet another of my "shot myself in my own foot" episodes. Of course I put the extra flying time to good use testing-out the model, but still the extra weight did nothing to help my search for a better balance point. But at least I was able to land the model safely even though it was dead-stick (the extra nose-weight probably helped too, I guess!)

Sorry but I don't have any experience with the models you mention so can't say how they fly

azithinkiam: It's on the way

Tony
Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
rclement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

T.W. I would appreciate a copy of the email as well if you have time. My email is clementsrus@comcast.net. Thanks in advance. Rob
Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Rob, No problems on this. I'll send it right on to you . . . . but can I make a stipulation though: I'd be really pleased if you'd post the outcome if you should decide to mofify your wing

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,
I didn't receive your email. Please post the pictures and information on this site.
Thanks,
Phillip
Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Phillip: I received your email and sent the "destructions" via a "Reply," so I don't know what's happening (maybe your anti-virus is not accepting?). I just re-sent them and can continue doing so until one gets through to you (it's much easier for me than posting the whole thing here). I replied to:

pneill@bellsouth.net

Perhaps you have another address which might work? If so just send me an email from there

Tony
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Phillip - Glad that you received the instructions this time! Hope your Funtana's flying is improved as much as mine was by doing this wing mod - whenever you get around to doing it

Tony

Search this Thread