ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Update: Re post 998 - I now own the Funtana I mentioned in this post. And I can confirm that it flies brilliantly, so there is no need for me to contemplate modifying this model's wing. Oddly-enough it looks just as 'flat' as my original Funtana's wing looked. But the difference in the way it flies is 'massive'

So, possibly in conclusion to this whole thread, I can say with some confidence that the appearance of a Funtana's leading edge isn't really a true indication of the way it's going to fly. Hence: Only contemplate doing the wing-mod if you're unhappy with the way your Funtana stalls viciously and unexpectedly - like my first one did :-)

Tony
Old 07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear you have another one going Tony. Hope you enjoy it. Mine is still sitting minus all the radio gear and engine. I have too many other projects going. I am still going to try the mod one day. (if I keep saying it maybe it will happen) lol

david
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi David, I 'tried doing without' one for quite a while . . . but even though I have other good-flying models, I still missed flying the Funtana. So when the opportunity cropped-up to buy a good used one I just had to have it. This one has been flown very little, so is just like new, and I'm very happy with it

Although I have to admit that a massive glitch today almost saw me back to being Funtanaless again! The model did a wild gyration which I would have been proud to have been responsible for, but I wasn't. The model did it all by itself. I held the Tx high in the air and regained control quickly-enough to save the model from the crash it looked certain to have - and of course I then brought it around and landed it immediately

A range-check straight after the event showed a serious lack of range, so back at home I removed the Rx and tested the aerial for continuity - and it's soldered connection to the pcb too - both are fine. Doing a range-check with the Rx out of the model showed no problems, so at the moment I'm a bit puzzled by this turn of events. The only thing I wonder about is whether the long cables to the rear-end servos might have interfered with the aerial's reception? On the other hand, maybe I'm just fated for my Funtanas not to last very long!!!

Tony
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hope you find the trouble Tony. I hate those kinds of issues. I hade one recently that would not range check past 20'. Did the same at the field as it did at the house. I tried it with and without the switch, in the plane out of the plane, ant in and out of the plane, different battery pack. All with no change. I finally tried a different RX and that cured it. I then tried the RX in another plane and it worked fine. So who knows???? Maybe one of the servos was not pluged all the way?
Good luck with the new bird, david
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
gasayers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just popped back to see how this threads going.
After modding my plane back in 09.1009 it is still my number one plane ( i have about 20 flyable models from spitfires to f22's)
I got my 55ax running reliably to the point it's ridiculous and have hundreds and hundreds of flights on my modified funtana x 50
Haven’t , touch wood, had a single issue flying or landing and learnt lots about casual 3d flying.
hope your all well.
Cheers
Glen

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
sleeper71chevelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just completed the wing mod and also clipped 3 inches from each wingtip (crash damage). Prior to this mod I spent more time reacting to what the airplane did rather than flying it. After the mod, the airplane is awesome. It flies great slow, fast, inverted, and knife edge. I was so lost in enjoying the flight that I forgot about fuel consumption. The engine ran out of fuel at about 200 feet altitude and I was able to glide it around the field into a perfect dead stick landing. This would have never been possible before wing mod. It would have definitely beena destroyed aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65087.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1780913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47828.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1780914  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just stopped by to update and am pleased to see that the wing mod has converted yet another bad-flying Funtana into a 'sweetie!' Also to report that routing my Funtana's aerial outside the fuz and up to the top of the v-stab has cured its tendanct to glitch (ok, it was only one glitch, but that was scary-enough after what happened to my last Fuintana). Since re-routing the aerial the model has had 10 flights without a hint of a problem . . . and I love flying it (but I don't fly it enough due to having too many other sweet-flying models to choose from - spoilt for choice I guess!)
Tony

Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM
fritzke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I am finally going to mod my old Funtana S40 leading edges. I bought it to replace my Pizazz many years ago
(silly me...) and after 2 outings I hung it up. It has those same severe "snap out" issues you all report. I know the
Funtana is now a totally out of date model, but I have it, and it's like new with about 4 flights on it, so I
may as well try to make a silk purse out of the sows ear.
Dave
Old 02-22-2015, 12:49 PM
T.W.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Luck with the wing mod Fritz. I still have a Funtana and I still enjoy flying it from time to time. I look upon it as one of my 'newer' models, rather than an out of date one - my 1953 Junior 60 is definitely out of date, but I still enjoy flying that one too
Tony

Search this Thread