Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Old 11-11-2009, 04:41 AM
gasayers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana 40

Hate to thrash an old thread but bought the funtana 50 the other day remembering reading an article spouting on about how good a flier it is.
Was totally gutted to find it flew like a gumboot! Dead sticks were disastrous if you had to turn etc. Just about to get rid of it, which was a shame as it is a very cool looking plane, and fortunately found this thread.
I've just finished a pretty radical mod of the leading edge and look forward to testing it asap.
Thanks for putting up the info.
Cheers
Glen

PS why don’t H9 just change the wing shape?!? They obviously know there’s a problem as the bigger planes have dropped the round edge. – frustrating.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Glen, be sure and post your thoughts on the mod after you fly it. Mine is still collecting dust on the shop. I told Tony a year ago I was going to do the mod and still have not. I'm lazy/busy but still plan on it one of these days. It's hard to keep a fleet going and have time to tear apart a good wing.

David
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
T.W.

Hi Dave, good to know you're still here and involved - but you really need to get that Funtana 'sorted' you know! I should talk though . . . I'd still like to have another Funtana, but right now I have too many other projects on the go. And of course I've been enjoying flying all my other models so much recently that my Funtana-addiction seems to have faded just a little (as it may have done for you too?). After my experience with Funtana No 1, I wouldn't get another new one - seeing-as I know I'd need to re-work the wing, but where to get a used one? They seem very rare where I am

I still get the occasional request for the wing-mod instructions (two this week so-far) so there must still be a lot of disapointed Funtana fliers out there, and as Glen asked: Why don't H9 fix their problem?

Glen: Please keep us posted,

Tony
Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
gasayers

Ok How's this. I unfortunately had a dead stick while testing it at low altitude comming out of a failed flat spin. Knowing how it dead sticked before and that it couldn't be turned from a much higher point I resigned myself to repairing the plane again after crashing.
Well not only was I able to turn it, (down wind no less!) it glided towards me closer and closer until I eventually flared it and it stopped several meters behind me. Perfect landing. I'd say it improved the glide by 200-300%. And yes those are BIG numbers.

Unfortunately I only got about 5-6 landings and before the OS55ax died. [&o] some things just aren't meant to be.

I tried a couple of flat spins and while they were a lot better they still weren’t flat. (Could be me, still learning.) But the plane flies and loops far better and lands way way way better.

Need more air time before I can answer more specifically but yes. Without question worth the effort.
My modifications were a bit more radical, extending the leading edge by about 10 mm by the fuse to about 30mm near the wing tip. I actually rebuilt the leading edge right back to the spar rather than just adding a strip along the leading edge.
Cheers
Glen
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
T.W.

Glad to hear of your success Glen - although sorry to hear about your dead-stick problem! I remember moving the CG back a way in order to get my Funtana to flat-spin properly, although please don't ask exactly where it was 'cause I can't remember. But I do remember that it 'flattened-out' really well and that it didn't need a whole lot of opposite aileron to get there either

All The Best,
Tony
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM
daveopam

Glad to hear you are still kicking Tony. Like a kid with a new toy, I tend to fly the latest and greatest in my hanger. 75% of my stick time has been on a 67" OMP Fusion. I am flying an ARF and have a kit half done on the work bench. I also have a new Goldberg Ult and I am tired of the QQ Yak sitting in the shop. I have more invested in it then I do in any two other planes in my shop. So I decided I was going to get it to fly like I wanted or crash it trying. So far so good, but the Saito 1.80 is very thirsty.

David
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
T.W.

Sounds like you've got more models than you can cope with David - feel free to send me any you can spare Ha ha! :-)

I too have had a sucession of projects to keep me occupied recently - but as soon as I stop dreaming-up new ideas, or whenever I run out of different models that I 'really must build,' I'm sure my thoughts will return to getting another Funtana. Because even though I had some horrible moments with it, it was a excellent 3D-type flying machine - once it was thoroughly sorted

Right now I'm putting-together an electric-powered e-flite Sukhoi SU26 in readiness for the up-coming Winter flying sessions (I hate messing with 'fuel' when the temperature is Winter-cold!), and I plan to build a vectored-thrust F22, or something similar, over Winter too

All The Best,
Tony
Old 11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
gasayers

Incase your still wondering I finally had a chance this morning to really test out the Funtana mods. I'd have to say my impression of the original plane was not complimentary at all. I was gutted quite frankly. However.
This morning was about 10-15 knot winds but I still had an absolute ball. Flew it very close in, watchers commented it was closer in than you’d normally fly a small parkfly. Loops, rolls, stalls, etc were all as clean as a whistle. Honestly it was everything originally expected the plane to be, seriously good fun! Now I can see why some people call it their favorite plane. And landing is now a no brainer! No tip stalling at all. This is going to be a lot of fun in the future. (touch wood)
Again, why don’t they change their wing!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is that what the Showtime is??
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
T.W.

Glad to hear that your experience of the wing-mod matches my own - and it has to be said: lots of other Funtana flyers too! You've reminded me just how much I loved flying my own and make me really want to get another one (just when I was starting to think I really can live without one! Ha ha!

Have you got the flat-spin sorted now? Mine would do a fantastic inverted flat-spin come to think about it

Cheers,
Tony
Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 AM
gasayers

No luck yet with the flat spin. Just increased the rudder movement but need a couple more mm yet. Servo horns not long enough. Might have a go at increasing the elevator as well. Don't dare move the cog back anyfurther it's at about 7".

Any other sugestions? Cheers
Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 PM
T.W.

Nope - sounds like you're doing 'all you can!' Wonder why it's not working - have you tried it inverted? Sometimes works easier with some of my models

Thinking back, I don't believe my Funtana's cg was as far back as yours. If I had to take a guess I'd say it was somewhere around 6-1/2," but further back (as yours is) ought to help with spins. Very odd really

I once had a model that took a lot of 'trial and error' to get it to flat-spin - and the day I succeeded I made the mistake of starting the manouver too low, so I didn't have enough height to get back out of it (I suppose I'd given-up all hope of getting it into the flat-spin by this time!). I hope you have much better luck!

Tony
Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 AM
daveopam

The Funtana is pretty light. Try entering the flat spin from a blender. This will tell you if it's an inertia issue or a set up issue.

David
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 PM
gasayers

Inertia......... OK. The funtana just happens to have some very convenient bolts on the ends of the wings. Are we talking perhaps a couple of ounces on each wing tip? That can be easily arranged.
Cheers
Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
gasayers

OK, Hold the bus. Major breakthrough in the flat spin issue.
I've been taking advice on how to do it from several guys who say their "old" planes could do it but none of whom could get anywhere near a flat spin when I asked for a demo.
Now I think I know why. Wasn't trying to do a flat spin, just a spin!
Not one of them ever hinted that once in a "spin" one has to gently add opposite aileron to convert to a flat spin. Tried it several times on the flight sim and it worked a treat. Even managed some inverted.
Goes to show. Careful which "expert" you get advice from.
I'll give that a try as soon as I get a chance. While the planes still in the sky there’s hope.
Cheers
Glen
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
T.W.

Ha ha! I must admit that I assumed you 'knew' how to flatten the spin. Oh well, good luck the next time you try. But - do be sure that you have enough height to exit the flat spin. Flat spins can be very difficult to get out of - sometimes centering the controls has no effect at all (I learned the hard way!). Have fun

Tony
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM
daveopam

Also add a little power as you ease the aile toward the other way.

david
Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
gasayers

Back again. Well took it out again today to try a flat spin. Increased the rudder and elevator throws, cog at 6.5 inch.
Very cool. Watched several utube vids of flat spins and can say that with the exception of the big square winged models the Funtana was as good as anything seen. And you’re right, they flat spin quite a bit better inverted!
Getting out the spin was easy. Release the sticks and point it at the ground. Pulled out instantly every time. I did find the cog uncomfortable at 6.5 so I’ll move it forward to about 5.5 I think. However, yehaa. I’m a happy chappy.
A new piston and liner should be here any day which will get the motor going better….all good.
Thanks very much for the encouragement David and Tony. As I said earlier, the plane was on its way to the bin until finding the info about modding the wing. Lots of vid around of the funtana performing big 3D’s but none of it being held in as close as it can be now. Landings today into about a 10-15knot wind were a joke. You could walk faster and no sign of a tip stall at all.
Can you tell I’m happy?
Cheers
Glen
Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
T.W.

Hi Glen - yes, I can tell you're a happy chappy! Ha ha! Glad to hear it too

You may find that the Funtana doesn't want to flat spin (nor even want to do a 'proper' normal spin either) when you move the cg forward. But it's worth a try - and don't forget that the more nose-heavy your model is the faster it will need to land of course

If you're just feeling that the model is a little 'too reactive' at your current trim/settings, you could try using some exponential (or do as I always do - switch-in high rates for aeros, and then switch back to low rate immediately afterwards. Don't think I could have even taken-off my Funtana using the high rates I needed for 3D 'tricks')

Re 'getting out of a flat spin' - just in case you find your model in a flat spin which it 'won't' exit normally: Having centralised the sticks, try opposite rudder. It's still flat-spinning? Then let the rudder centralise again and try gradually pusing down elevator. The model should now exit inverted. If it continues flat spinning at this stage, take the down-ele off, open the throttle and try with the down ele again . . . see why you need a lot of altitude in these circumstances? Ha ha - hope you never hane to try this

Best Wishes,
Tony
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
daveopam

Glad to hear you have it sorted out. Just dont move the CG that much at one time. There is a sweet spot for you in the 5.5"-6.5" range. Move it up a 1/4" at a time till you find it. Landing these things with a aft CG is a controlled crash. Move the CG until it lands better and fly it there.

David
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Scirocco14

Hi,

I just found this thread.  I am a newbie R/C guy (in fact I have yet to fly, still flying sims) having just bought a Hobbico Nexstar trainer.  What does that have to do with this thread?  Well, the guy I bought my plane from also sold me a NIB Funtana S 40 for $50.  It looked like such a fun plane I couldn't pass it up.

My question is this: I was thinking of the Funtana for my 3rd or 4th plane (after the Nexstar and a mid or low wing trainer).  Would the Funtana make a good fun flyer/acrobatic trainer w/o the leading edge mods?  Or are the mods really only necessary for 3D flying? 

I am a fairly skilled modeler (I've built a lot of C/L and F/F stuff from kits and from scratch) so the mod isn't hard, but I hate to mess up the covering before I even fly the plane.

2nd question: the wings are just begging for wingtips for aesthetic reasons...would it hurt the performance any if I made some wingtips out of hollow balsa and added them?

Thanks!

Mark

Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

I just cut my leading edge off the other day to do this mod so I havent gotten to fly with the mod. I have flown this plane for a good 5 years now without the mod and have always not liked the way it lands. I have had it to land it fast, if I slow down too much it will tip stall and smack a wing tip during a landing. It will also roll out at the bottem of a loop if you pull it too tight. I am hoping that this will correct this problem. I dont know if I would recommend this plane until you have a good bit of experience the way it flys out of the box.
Jeff
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Scirocco14

ORIGINAL: jjoos99

I just cut my leading edge off the other day to do this mod so I havent gotten to fly with the mod. I have flown this plane for a good 5 years now without the mod and have always not liked the way it lands. I have had it to land it fast, if I slow down too much it will tip stall and smack a wing tip during a landing. It will also roll out at the bottem of a loop if you pull it too tight. I am hoping that this will correct this problem. I dont know if I would recommend this plane until you have a good bit of experience the way it flys out of the box.
Jeff
Thanks, Jeff! That's the sort of advice I'm interested in. Idefinitely won't even build this plane until I have lots of experience on the trainers and probably a good intermediate plane, otherwise I might be tempted to fly it!

When I do build it, I guess I'll just go ahead and do the leading edge mod. By then I should be proficient at Monokote/Ultracote application (I've only done tissue/dope coverings on my models). I'll also be interested to hear how you like the leading edge modification.

Thanks again,

Mark

Old 11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
T.W.

Jeff - you will love the way the Funtana lands when it has a proper leading edge - you'll be able to land it at walking pace. And you'll be able to loop it tighter too. You've been having exactly the same problems I originally had and the wing-mod transformed my model. Good luck with it and do come back to tell us how much better you like the model with its 'new wing!' [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Mark - you might just have a 'good' wing there. Take a good look at it. If the leading edge is 'rounded' (mine was originally quite 'flat') then it may be ok as-is. Some guys have reported their wing as being ok, so they're not all bad. In fact I've flown a club-mates which was ok and which wouldn't have benefited from the mod at all (there's no point in doing the work if it's not necessary!)

As Jeff said: I wouldn't recomend the Funtana as an aerobatic trainer. It's too lightly-built for that (IMHO). But (with the right wing) it does make a good 3D model. I'd save it a little longer than you're suggesting, and wait until you're good at the aerobatic stuff - I think then you'll get the best out of it. Great price btw - wish I could find one for that little Money!

Tony
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Scirocco14

ORIGINAL: T.W.

Jeff - you will love the way the Funtana lands when it has a proper leading edge - you'll be able to land it at walking pace. And you'll be able to loop it tighter too. You've been having exactly the same problems I originally had and the wing-mod transformed my model. Good luck with it and do come back to tell us how much better you like the model with its 'new wing!' [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Mark - you might just have a 'good' wing there. Take a good look at it. If the leading edge is 'rounded' (mine was originally quite 'flat') then it may be ok as-is. Some guys have reported their wing as being ok, so they're not all bad. In fact I've flown a club-mates which was ok and which wouldn't have benefited from the mod at all (there's no point in doing the work if it's not necessary!)

As Jeff said: I wouldn't recomend the Funtana as an aerobatic trainer. It's too lightly-built for that (IMHO). But (with the right wing) it does make a good 3D model. I'd save it a little longer than you're suggesting, and wait until you're good at the aerobatic stuff - I think then you'll get the best out of it. Great price btw - wish I could find one for that little Money!

Tony
Thanks, Tony. I'll take a look at the wing and compare it to the pics on this thread.

I couldn't pass up the price, even though I knew it was WAAAY more plane than I could handle for a long while!

Mark

Old 11-26-2009, 12:18 PM
T.W.

Mark, see the pic for a reminder of what you're looking for

Cheers,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52377.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1321045  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.