Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Creek Staudacher radio switch installation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Creek Staudacher radio switch installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creek Staudacher radio switch installation

Been looking at the fuse for this bird and can't seem to find a place to mount the switch on the side of the aircraft. Where are you guys mounting them? There doesn't seem to be enough solid wood anywhere in there.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Yep Joe I ran into the same problem. I glued in a piece of balsa in the open web to install the switch and charging jack. I mounted it between the wing and canopy.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 PM
joebob

Yeah, I may have to do that, too. I did find a spot just below the canopy cutout that is just big enough to fit the switch/charge jack into, but I'll have to cut away most of the lite ply in that area and am unsure if it would weaken the structure any.

Another point I was wondering about is how much the cowl overlaps the fuse. It looks like it's only about 1/4" or so. Is that how yours came out?

I'm thinking of using pull-pull on the tail surfaces to keep the servos inside and help with the balance. But it looks like a chore because of the foam turtledeck. I'll need to come up with a good way to cut a tunnel in there for the top elevator wires.

How do you like yours, flying wise? This looks like a really nicely put-together plane so far. The covering job is top-notch. I've been building models for over 20 years and there's no way I could even come close to matching the quality of the covering job.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:46 AM
tripacer

Originally posted by joebob

I'm thinking of using pull-pull on the tail surfaces to keep the servos inside and help with the balance. But it looks like a chore because of the foam turtledeck. I'll need to come up with a good way to cut a tunnel in there for the top elevator wires.
I was wanting to do the same thing and thought I had it all figured out in my mind. DUH! forgot about the foam turtledeck. If you get it figured out PLEASE let me know

Jim
Old 01-06-2003, 04:52 AM
john sands
My Feedback: (5)

Default re staudica

My first staudica crashed when the wing spring let loose the wings rotated. My second (with 1")dowl instead flys great on rails with Irvine 150.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:03 AM
tripacer

Default Re: re staudica

Originally posted by john sands
My first staudica crashed when the wing spring let loose
John did the spring break? Can you give us any more information?

Sorry for your loss. Man I hate to hear that!
Old 01-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

"Another point I was wondering about is how much the cowl overlaps the fuse. It looks like it's only about 1/4" or so. Is that how yours came out? "

I have a kangke, and that is where i mounted mine. Worked out great. Same amount of space, 1/4 inch or so.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
RC2K3

Did you guys ask how to make tunnels in foam?? Its pretty easy just fin a suatable metal object the length of the tunnel you need to go through the foam and the diameter you desire and just heat it up and start burning away! :devious:
Old 01-06-2003, 02:13 PM
rc-sport

My cowl overlapped about 1/4" and so far its fine. The bird flies great and you'll surprise how slow it can landed, its a real floater. Definitely install all the tail servos in the fuse, I had to add alot of weight to balance it out.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:37 AM
joebob

Default Oops!

I opened the wing servo cutouts today and on the right wing, the hole for the servo lead was cut into the OUTBOARD side of the opening!? Had to probe around and find the tube and cut a new hole.

John Sands
Can you tell me more about your fix for the spring? It seems pretty weak to me, too. I've never had a plane with plug-in wings, but it seems they should be held on a little tighter that the spring holds them. Also, it's a pain to hook it up unless you remove the bottom hatch. Unless I'm doing something wrong...
Old 01-20-2003, 09:40 PM
joebob

Default Cooling air question

To anyone flying the Staudacher---

With the OS 1.60, did you have to cut any more openings in the cowl other than the ones already there to help with cooling? I was very pleased to find out I didn't have to cut a hole for the cylinder head to stick out, and only a small square on the bottom for the muffler pipes. But, I wanted to make sure there was going to be enough cooling air with this configuration.....
Old 01-20-2003, 10:25 PM
rc-sport

I have the Saito 180 in mine aside from the muffler cut out and the rocker arm cut outs I didn't add any more holes. The one they provide at the bottom is pretty big, So far no cooling problems.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:52 AM
john sands
My Feedback: (5)

I'm using an Irvine 140 ,I cut a 2'' hole at the cylinder head , evgine is mounted sideways , I had to get at the plug anyways tiis gets me access and cooling,No problem John Sands