Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Carl Golberg Hotstick is it a dud?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Carl Golberg Hotstick is it a dud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
stall_warning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Golberg Hotstick is it a dud?

Setup and first flight.

I set up for low rates tho I did program a slightly higher rate if I needed it. Programmed flap switch for half inch down with slight down elevator. I'm a novice with flaps and
I believe this to be correct. Used the forward balance point.

Taxied aroud to run in the engine more. Bugged the veterans fliers with stupid questions etc. Got the handle on taxing a tail dragger and how the rudder takes over
when ground speed is high enough. Used high rate on rudder for tighter turns on the ground. Actually got it airborne a bit. At this point I refueled, the winds were
calm, and I was going up. The new guys let the "Old Guy" take it up , trim it out, let them fly a while and then he lands it for him. Not me. I was going for it.

Got it up at half throttle (46 engine), it was controllable, so I went to 3/4 to get higher. It seemed way nose heavy. Aimed the nose high to give myself time to grab a bunch
of elevator trim. I flew all 3 flights with the flaps down.

I don't understand if this nose heavy condition is a screw up on my part. I have no experience with a fuel tank forward of the CG. The flying wings I build are balanced
by moving things at build time. The Heli has the tank under the main shaft. Maybe everything is normal and I just don't know it.

I just flew the pattern. My turns were bad but not bad enough to scare the elderly. I was trying to turn it like the heli and need to break that habit. The handling was
really light, nothing like throwing a 8 pound heli around. It was closer to the 28 oz wing and much easier to see than my 4 foot wing. The colors they use make it easy
to see. It went where I pointed it and will get there fast if you open it up. No sliding around like the wing.

One of the veterans came over to help me trim it. I let go of the sticks and asked what he thought. He was impressed I got it trimmed.

I was going to land this this thing myself too. My turn to final did get the elderly off their seats, but they did sit back down.

I ran a slightly high idle, no dead sticks for me. When testing new wings, I usually take it up a bit and check out what it does for tip stall. I didn't do this, I don't know
the recovery on a fixed wing yet.

I did some low passes at a slightly higher landing speed than the wing. It had very similiar floaty glide to my 4ft wing. seemed easy to control. Went for the real landing.
I did it just like the wing and got a 10 inch bounce. I don't know if it was the right method, but the veteran was suprised. 2 more landing and the elderly fell asleep.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
stall_warning

Now the bad.

No I didn't crash it.

Did the taxi practice, 3 easy landings. I was happy with myself and plane. Don't know anything about the 3D capabilities, sorry!

Back at home, I notice a lot of play in the tail wheel. I did notice it at the field as time went on, once airborne, didn't care.
The tail wheel wire as a 90 degree bend that you epoxy into the front of the rudder. A short distance below this point, there is a thread-all bolt using nuts
on both sides for rudder control rods to attach to. When I tightened the nuts, I saw that the wood was soft, maybe balsa , the covering and wood underneath
were easy to compress. It appears that the 90 degree hook is working back and forth in the soft wood. The thread-all is also working back and forth.
If I hold the tail wheel, I could move the rudder back and forth easily. The section of soft wood on the rudder is like a stressed member and appears to be
turning to mush.

I noticed other tail draggers at the field with a tail wheel riding on a spring which I believe prevents direct jolts from getting to the rudder servo combo.
Maybe someone more experience here could give some insight if this is a good solution and how it gets mounted etc.

I'm thinking about cutting out a section of covering in this area of the tail. Maybe using epoxy-cloth or something to strenghten it. I believe this is the solution is to
get the stress off the rudder and to the servo.

It is possible that I just messed up on this part. Just want to give a heads up for those who haven't gotten to the tail wheel yet.

Ron
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
txntlidie

Wow Stall
Sounds like a really good time at the feild. I've maidened a few new planes on my own, much to the dismay of some of the oldtimers at our feild too. Some are respectfull and encouraging some arn't. Oh well. I've been meaning to post a few pic's but haven't taken any. My build went very simple till I pulled the wing out of the box to find it was crushed in shipping. CG is suppose to be sending me another one. Every thing on my plane so far has matched up, been there, and fit perfectly. My 46 FX fit the engine mount perfectly, and lined up with the hole for the throttle very well. This plane is obviously built with an OS .46 in mind. When the new wing arrives I'll post more.
Happy Flying Skip
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking about cutting out a section of covering in this area of the tail. Maybe using epoxy-cloth or something to strenghten it. I believe this is the solution is to
get the stress off the rudder and to the servo.
Use a large T-pin to poke holes in the covering and soak the wood around the rudder horn and the tailwheel tiller with thin CA. That will harden it up nicely.

Jim
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
AirPatrol
My Feedback: (1)

probably gonna order one tonight. YAY!!! planing on an OS 46 FX too......I noticed it has flaps. Can you make it a flappless plane with just ailerons and 5 servos and then make the flaps later on or do you have to assemble it with the full 7 servos and flaps?
Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 PM
txntlidie

With a little thought I have no doubt you can do that. My new wing hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
stall_warning

You could leave the flaps off for now. It would increase the wing loading and look weird. Don't know what it would do dynamically.
You could leave the flap servos out and physically tie the flap to the aileron and cover the flap servo hole. But the aileron servo would be not in the
best position on the wing.
With the flap servos installed, you only have to move the control rod of one flap to the other side of the servo arm to switch from flap to aileron mode,
then make the channel change with the radio.
Looking at the wing, I'd plan on the 2 extra servos. I'm using low cost servos on the flaps since they aren't used much.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 AM
AirPatrol

Ill probably end up using low cost servos for the flaps too becuase I wont be using them much and dont really know how to use them as of right now...good luck to everyone purchasing this ARF
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 AM
txntlidie

Hey Airpatrol
what you could do is use some old broken servo's for the flaps and glue them in place then don't hook them up. Solves the weird look problem, the expence problem, and holds the flaps stationary. Given the size of these control surfices I went with some $20 range Futaba's on the wings. I hooked mine up with a pre-mix on my radio to work as air brakes for landing. If you have a computerized radio you can have a lot of fun with the flaps. But get one of the old timers to help ya and give ya idea's.

Happy Flying
Skip
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 PM
AirPatrol

Mine should be shipping from the dealer tomorrow. Cant wait. How long did it take everyone to build it? how is everyone doing with it so far?

kyle
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
stall_warning

I don't know how much time I put into the build. It took longer than I thought it would. Hinges and control installation took long for me.
Much quicker than a heli, plus they don't have to pick you up off the kitchen floor after the 2nd night of heli construction.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:30 AM
txntlidie

My first one I spent a week working a couple of hr.s every evening. I wanted the plane to be perfect, and changing that motor mount took a lot of time. It would have been quicker to just run down to the LHS and buy a new CG mount. This new one practacally jumped togather, at least unil I got to the wing and found it had gotten broken in shipping. CG is replacing it though and the new wing arrived yesteray evening. All I have to do is put the ailarons and flaps on and then all the servo's. So far I have about 2.5 hr.s in it, but remember every plane is different and every one has a different little quirk. I think Stallwarning had a missing blind nut for the motor mount, so he had to do ALOT of extra work. My new one had no Motor mount issues. Anyway goodluck and just make sure its your wheels that always touch the ground first.

Happy flying
Skip
Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Nerevar

Hey guys,

You might want to take a look at this thread, about a CG Super Chipmunk build, and specifically, from this link forward, on[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4293929/anchors_4822706/mpage_5/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4822706] how Goldberg (Lanier) treats its' customers[/link] , before jumping on their bandwagon so quickly.

Just a heads-up, or word to the wise.[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
AirPatrol

Just came in the mail today. Inspected everything and it looks great. control surfaces are HHUUGGGEE!!! cant wait to get it together.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:44 PM
txntlidie

Hey Airpatrol
Be very carefull with the wing. It is way to delacate. My third wing broke when I was pre-drilling for the servo screws. I had to cut the yello stripe in the bottom of the wing to repare it. Now I'm afraid of the wing, so I'm cutting most of the bottom covering from the wing and beefing it up. the ribs are way thin balsa, and way few.

Happy flying
Skip
Old 10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
AirPatrol

thanks for the heads up. I was eager to get this thing in the air but i guess i will take my time now [>:]
Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 PM
AirPatrol

well i havent had any problems with the wing or any part of the plane being delacate but there are many places where the directions in the manual are not clear at all. An Inter./expert builder would be able to figure it all out but this is only my 2nd ARF so i had some trouble. the hindges gave me hell forever. once i finally got those in, i cant get the darn motor mounted. The thing that really got me mad was they didnt include the bolts needed to install the landing gear. I have the axles and everything all mounted but i cant get the actual landing gear bolted to the fuse becuase of the lack of bolts. Im quite frustrated right now........
Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
stall_warning

Mine were missing to. If you know a heli guy, ask for 2 M3 cap head screws - it an allen head. You can cut it down if too long.
I don't like the phillips head. If it's a Raptor guy, see if you can also smooch 2 of the conical washers used to mount the engine mount
to the frame. Else, any washers would do.

Ron
Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 PM
txntlidie

Mine came with landing gear bolts, allen head, not phollips head, however they where in a different package from the rest of the landing gear.
Maidened it today, flew quit well till I tried to land. Dew to pilot error I knocked the landing gear off, and the bolts held but ripped the whole bottom out of the plane. I'll fix it tomorrow. The OS 46 FX is all the motor this plane needs. The suggested low rates for the ailarons is still just a bit hot but not to bad. We had gusty winds at the feild today and I lost my head wind when I was about 2' off the runway, I wasn't quick enough and the plane came down like it had been hit with a giant fly swatter. I should have been expecting it. It was definatly not the planes fault.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
AirPatrol

Im pretty sure i found my landing gear screws. It was not in the proper bag with the rest of the landing gear hardware, but it was in the bag with the control horns. Things are going smooth so far except for the engine. i might have to get a new engine mount becuase i think i might have butchered it. oh well. ill get pictures soon
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Nerevar

Hey Guys,

I just found this in the product reviews section of RCU.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4144753/tm.htm]ANOTHER CG customers' report of bad treatmant![/link]

It's worth reading!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
russm

i have flown my hotstick 3 times w/ no problems so far. i have a rossi 46 on it. seems like a good plane. thanks for the imfo about c.g. planes and the co. russm
Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
AirPatrol

GOSH i cant wait to get this thing flying. I have been itching for some 3D becuase im wearing out my G3 and my sukhoi has no 3D capabilities what so ever (except i did knife edge it this weekend holding full up elevator LOL)...anymore flight reports?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM
solo_one
My Feedback: (13)

I havent been back to this thread in a while but my Hot Stik is still going strong and still an absolute blast to fly. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. I have had this since May and havent made any tweaks or changes to it at all.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
rookie8

I put a Hot Stik in the air last Sunday for it's maiden flight with a brand new TT Pro 46. It flew great, and I put it through the paces. Wide open snaps, blenders, etc. No problem so far. I hate to hear of your problem, and maybe it is isolated. I had a new H9 27% Extra 260 last year that litterally came apart in the air. I called Horizon, and they wanted for me to ship it back. I said that shipment would cost as much as a new plane, so they agreed to accept digital pics. A couple of weeks went by and I received a brand new plane by UPS. The new plane had problems with the glue joints, but I fixed them before assembly. I still have the plane and it flys great. I hope your outcome will be as good as mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.