Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Giant Super Sportster

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Giant Super Sportster

Old 09-02-2006, 02:23 PM
drksky1056

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giant Super Sportster

In the process of assembling my Giant Sportster and though I'd share if anyone was interested.

This thing is a monster! Well, to me anyway, considering my current plane is a Mini Ultra Stick. [:-]

http://www.dwfoto.com/sportsterbuild.htm
Old 09-03-2006, 10:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: GP Giant Super Sportster

I built two of the kits 'back in the day' and loved 'em both. Used an OS 1.08 in them and they both flew great. I'm interested in seeing how the ARF's will compare.....
Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Dano101
My Feedback: (4)

Keep us posted on your results and thoughts on it's flight.

Thanks

Dano
Old 09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drksky1056,

Someone at our field had one and from what I'm told the stab blew apart and it went in. One guy said something about GP replacing the plane but that was just hearsay. I did see the rudder in the trash and man, what a piece of lumber. I had the old 90/120 Super Sportster kit years ago with an OS 91 two stroke in it. Nice flying plane.

I just got my Brillelli 40cc engine and it's going in a Somenzini YAK 54s 73". Love to see some video of the plane.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
drksky1056

Well, I haven't been moving exactly fast on putting this thing together...I just finished hinging the tail feathers and am going to work on the tail linkages tonight. There are some new pics up on the web site of the completed wing and the engine (not installed) and I will try to get some more up when the tail is done.

One distressing thing I did find is that the Brillelli 40 will NOT fit in the cowl without hacking away the back 1/4 because of the side-port muffler. There's plenty of room for it otherwise. I've been talking with Scott about options for something custom made and am waiting to send him some pics of the installed engine.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
drksky1056

Tail surfaces hinged and linkages installed. Next up: mounting the Brillelli 40

Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Dano101
My Feedback: (4)

drksky, it's looking good.

I have attached a photo of my Giant SS. Although I did not build this aircraft, and have not been up with it yet, I've been told it has been up 7 times and fly's great. I picked it up on Aug 25th, and have only had time to run the engine once. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks so much!

Dano
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22952.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	523479  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
drksky1056

Updated the build page with the mounted Brillelli 40GT, and I'm a little on the depressed side. It's starting to look like I may have to go with a different engine, but I'm still gonna try to make it work, cowl or no cowl.

Updated linkage:
Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Great job on those linkages! I still have my old SS90/120. If yours flies as good as my old one. You will love it. That looks like a 9C on your work bench. Are you going to use a separate channel for each elev servo? Or a "Y". There is a fairly easy way to use the gear channel for the second elev servo.

David
Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 AM
drksky1056

Great job on those linkages! I still have my old SS90/120. If yours flies as good as my old one. You will love it. That looks like a 9C on your work bench. Are you going to use a separate channel for each elev servo? Or a "Y". There is a fairly easy way to use the gear channel for the second elev servo.
Thanks. Yup, it's a 9C that I got for my foray into helis and it's proved itself quite useful. I have an 8 channel Rx, so I am going with separate channels on both the elevator (ailevator mix) and ailerons (flaperon mix) with a channel left over for maybe smoke in the future.

I just hope I can make the engine work out. I've heard many good things about the Brillellis and I sure don't want to buy another plane at this point. Besides, the recommended Fuji 32 is $100 more for EI and a pound heavier with less power!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
daveopam

Sound great. It also sounds like you have the 9C under control. I just prefer to use a straight mix for the ELEV and not mess with the ailavator mix. To each his own I guess. I don't have any time on a gasser so I can't help you.On paper it sounds like a good set up to me.

David
Old 09-23-2006, 02:43 PM
drksky1056

Updated again. Got the fuel system worked out. All that's left is the gear, receiver and canopy. Hoping to have it flying on Monday.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:26 AM
drksky1056

Well, it's done, but not flown yet. I would have had it done yesterday had my power company not decided that Monday night was a good time for a 5 hour planned outtage that they didn't bother to tell anyone about. [:@]

Probably won't maiden till next monday, but I had a question.

Looks like I needed that extra pound of weight from the Fuji 32 as it took 2 pairs of pliers sitting on the nose to get it to balance. Any ideas for something that'll help me balance it? Can't move components around and not sure of a good way to attach something that heavy.

Oh yeah, I checked it dry, but that shouldn't make a difference since the tank is in the rear position prety much right on top of the CG. If anything, fuel will make it worse.

No new pics yet. It's crappy outside and I want to get a nice one of it put together sitting in the sun.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
daveopam

It would be a sham to add that much weight to it. You said you cant move equipment around. Is there no way to put the battery in the nose? What about using longer stand offs and pushing the engine out a little more?

David
Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
drksky1056

I managed to move the ignition battery to right against the firewall...didn't make any appreciable difference.

I can't move the radio battery any farther forward because of the EI.