Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

W.M. 28% Extra 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

W.M. 28% Extra 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default W.M. 28% Extra 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Guys

I have just heard of a World Models 28% Extra 330L loosing it's tail on the first flight. Apparently the whole tailplane & fin unit came off the ply fuse box.

Has anyone else heard of this problem with this model?

Does anyone else have one of these flying?

All input about this model welcome, I have a mate due to maiden one in a couple of days.

Cheers

PS. I don't want to hear general ARF horror stories or bagging out, I am after specific info on this model. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10474.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	519311  
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: W.M. 28% Extra 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Well. If the owner just slaps it together out of the box, I'm sure many other brands would too.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Well. If the owner just slaps it together out of the box, I'm sure many other brands would too.
Thanks for that insight, but I am talking about joints failing that are done & covered up at the factory.

I am not bagging WM, I have a few of their models & am very happy with them. Just concerned about a mates model that is due to maiden in a couple of days.

I am looking for info specific to this model.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend built one about a year ago... He said the tail design was POOR and felt it would not hold up well. The way everything bolts together bothered him most so he beefed up the area and epoxied the tail feathers SOLID to the fuse... transport may be more of a problem but it has not failed in flight.

John

Forget what I said... I just talked to my friend... he has the Extra 300S NOT the 330l... sorry for the bad info[:@]
Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have that particular model, but I have seen and experienced the exact same thing. In every case, the failure was caused by elevator flutter. With 3D size elevators, you must use proper mechanical advantage in the pushrod system and seal the hinge gaps. If flutter occurs in those big elevators, the least that will happen is the loss of one or both sides of the horizontal stab and frequently the entire tail section will depart the airplane.

Jim
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
flyinGraham

I have had approximately 30 flights with my extra and it has no signs of damage or anything, it was build a per the instructions and I have had no problems mate!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
balsafire
My Feedback: (4)

I had this model as well and loved it but like others in this thread I was leary about the tail section. I apoxied the tail section and installed the supplied hardware. With a Saito 100 It was an awsome little flier. Beef up the landing gear block as well. Mine never broke but did start to come loose. I doubled it and added tri-stock and had no more problems.
Have fun with it.
Rod