Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Old Style Cermark Pitts Info

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Old Style Cermark Pitts Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old Style Cermark Pitts Info

Good afternoon all. Have not been here in sometime. Ok, to the point! I am putting together a Cermark Pitts (original one) with a G-26. I have epoxied the cabanes, engine box with additional fireall plate (after cutting the mount off) and all the joints I could get to with West System Epoxy. Now what other mods have you all done? I also need to know where the GG is supposed to be. Yes, I lost my directions! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian
Old 09-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Style Cermark Pitts Info

Brian,

The cg is 1/4 inch in front of the leading edge of the bottom wing. I started off with buying some matching covering and cutting the area under the forward fuselage. This is all built up and will allow you to get your hand in there. I used triangle stock in all corners and put small strips of fiberglass where the cabanes enter. Also used triangle stock all around the landing gear plate. Mine has been flying for 5 or 6 years with a Saito 150 and other than the damage I did to it when parking in a oak tree, it has held up good. Best of luck and hope you enjoy.

John
Old 09-10-2006, 01:52 PM
bdtsr

Thanks for the quick reply. I won't tell the tree huggers! I just put the tail wheel and landing gear on. The tail parts are installed and I'm trying to see if I need all 3 servos in the tail or maybe just 2 (rudder up front). I added servo mounting plates in the tail that will hold all 3 (2on left, 1 on right). Have you had any problems with the wings? I have read about a top wing problem that should be modified/reinforced. Any thoughts on this part?

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
bdtsr

One other question: there are two metal plates with allen head screws in the package, what are these for?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

I replaced the nylon metric stuff with metal. I put a plywood plate in the cabanes and put a blind nut with metal bolts to hold top wing on. I also bought metric metal bolts for the bottom wing. The nylon were pretty small. Heck, I use 1/4 20 nylon on 40 size stuff. I have not had any problems with the wings. I did add gussets to the cabanes. Your plane is newer than mine is. All my servos are in the fuse. None on the tail. Mine had little metal plates that mounted in the wing for the strutts. Hope this helps and good luck. Tis a great plane.

John
Old 09-12-2006, 03:41 PM
bdtsr

Thanks John. I found out in a review the plates were for the motor mount. I made the servo mounts for the tail to balance with the G-26. Factory has them up front. I like the 1/4-20 nylon idea. I read in one review they did they same for the top wing as well. Hopefully I can get her done and test flown this weekend. Our club is doing an airshow on the 9/23 and I'd like to have her (as well as several other planes) ready for it.

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
bdtsr

Well, got her done and maidened today! This plane fought me every step of the way. Even got pulled over by a cop on the way to the field! But anyway, put her up for the first flight with about a 15mph breeze/wind though it was steady and straight down the runway. I am very pleased with how it flew. Stalls into the wind at high idle just mushed forward, didn't even drop. Rolls were nice and axial. Landing.....well what a peice of cake! I may need to add one more washer for more right thrust as she pulls to the left on vertical. Didn't get to do much else as the muffler came loose. Never ends! Here's a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91923.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	526575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92876.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	526576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78021.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	526577   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55133.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	526578  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi BDTSR, What is the wingspan of your plane. A friend has a pitts colored like yours and I think it is a " S2B " on the box. It is a ARF, Thanks Wayne