Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

Old 03-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

No where...

BUT if it cost only $3 for gas planes, and you never ran out of gas in the air, and you didn't have to have cleaners to get snot off your plane at the end of the day then that's even better.

BTW.. I just got back from the field... our first good day since last year... mid 60's mild winds.... Tomorrow promises more of the same...

Wheeeweeeeee!!!! what a ball... I don't have my first gasser done but I have 8 snot sloshers....

I have a ball with them and I only went thru maybe a half gallon...

But on an O.S. 46 equpped Morris the Knife and a Saito 100 U-Can-Do-3D.... not your everyday glow guzzlers...

But when yu reach the 120 + size motors you start seeing it go thru quickly.... I'd fly my DP 4-5 times every visit to the field....

It DOESN'T really matter, but alot of people say gas engines are too expensive and too heavy... not necessarily true...

I'll fly whatever runs...

Originally posted by locomotive
I look at it like this......a gallon of 20% heli fuel cost me 15 bucks. I can fly my DP Ulty/Saito 180 6-8 times on a gallon......I rarely burn a whole gallon in one day..... Where else are you going to get that much enjoyment for 15 bucks?
Old 03-16-2003, 11:32 PM
locomotive
My Feedback: (7)

Yep.......thats why I am building a 33% Ulty.....so I can fly gas. I am waiting for the BME 110 Extreme. But the DP is definately a keeper......I am even thinking seriously about getting a DP ARC so I cna finish it out real nice. Here is a link to a pic of my DP Ulty / Saito 180.
http://www.ssimages.com/planes/dpulty.jpg
Old 03-21-2003, 01:27 AM
JDM
My Feedback: (8)

OKay, for all those that are not quite sure how to power your Ultimates. I have spoken with Dave a couple of times. He has run qutie a few different engine combo's on the Ultimate. He tells me that of all the diff possible combinations, he prefers to fly with the YS 120 FZ. He says that it does have unlimited vertical, and is the best overall performer. If you set it up like he says to. I have decided that is the way to go. Who better to ask, than the man who made the plane. I will let you know how it flies, when I get done with mine.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:13 AM
locomotive

I think you would be happier with more power....if you want to go with YS get a 140L. I have a Saito 180 on mine.......very good power.....not overly outragious.....a Saito 150 would be a good pick too, if you didn't want quite so much. I had a YS 120 AC on my Goldberg at 9 pounds.....your going to come out around 11 +. Unless you already have the YS 120 go with a little more power.....you will be glad you did.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Maudib

Default I strongly second that!!!

I think you would be happier with more power....if you want to go with YS get a 140L. I have a Saito 180 on mine.......very good power.....not overly outragious.....a Saito 150 would be a good pick too, if you didn't want quite so much. I had a YS 120 AC on my Goldberg at 9 pounds.....your going to come out around 11 +. Unless you already have the YS 120 go with a little more power.....you will be glad you did.

I HAD a YS 120AC in mine and it didn't have unlimited... even if the FZ was a bit more powerful, I can't imagine it being anything more than "barely" unlimited if at all... If you want an excellent sport flyer, the 120 will be really nice... but if you want 3D... GO MORE....

I spoke with Dave too because I had one elevator 1/4" shorter than the other (the widest end) and he said it wouldn't matter. (He did, on his behalf, replace it after I insisted) I also told him I was having problems getting even throw.... he said it wouldn't matter. I really got the feeling I was getting blown off rather than him recognizing I wanted some precision in my setup...

Poor pull-pull design setup on this model make it darn near impossible to get this stuff right... (see a previous post showing a dual tiller arm setup I came up with...

He has a history of suggesting engine that are "soft" for the plane... his way I suppose of limiting his liability...

It's a shame too, because he is an excellent designer, the DP is a very solid plane and can handle more... I went with the OS 160FX and will love it to death, tho I'd love to try out an RCS 180...

DO make sure you add some tri-stock aroudn the firewall inside...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64594_11422.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	28826  
Old 03-21-2003, 01:56 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Mordib
hit the nail on the head. Been there saw that 120 is just alright for most flyers.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 PM
locomotive

Hey Guys,
How bad to you have to cut the cowl to clear the OS 160 muffler? Seems like it would really interupt that nice sloping line on the bottom of the cowl. I have a Saito 180 in mine now but I am curious about trying a 160. I guess I would have to get a new cowl wouldn't I?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Maudib

I used a Pitts Muffler...
It takes a good bit to come out from the cowl, but it looks fairly decent...

Hey Guys,
How bad to you have to cut the cowl to clear the OS 160 muffler? Seems like it would really interupt that nice sloping line on the bottom of the cowl. I have a Saito 180 in mine now but I am curious about trying a 160. I guess I would have to get a new cowl wouldn't I?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64697_11422.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	28827  
Old 03-21-2003, 10:00 PM
locomotive

Thanks a bunch Mordib......I sure appreciate the info and the pics.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:19 PM
nyrcpilot
My Feedback: (5)

BEFORE I BUILD:

I have tried searching for a thread that has all the info on building "do's and don'ts" and can not seem to find it.

My new purple ulty is on its way, but I would like some pointers.

Can any one direct me to this post?

FYI: here is my set up:

DP ulty 120 purple
hitec 5625 digital for elev 130oz
hitec 5645 digital for rudder 160 oz
4 hitec econo digitals for ailerons, these only wiegh 1.4 oz vs .9 for mini, and they were only $32 each, resin gear.
new tail wheel
saito 150 ( a little less power than 180 but better on fuel )
4-40 ball links for servos.
4" alum spinner
6 v battery

My thought process on the wing servos is this: minis are expensive for digital, if I went with 4 standard digi I only added 2 oz and I do not have to mess with linkage for the 2 wings?!?!?

I have never seen one in person, but I am also tryin to limit my set up time

Originally posted by Mordib
I used a Pitts Muffler...
It takes a good bit to come out from the cowl, but it looks fairly decent...
Old 03-23-2003, 11:48 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Hey lgodin,

I noticed that you were planning on using almost the exact same set-up as I was for your Ulty (except for the 6 volts...I was going to go with 4.8). I also have a Saito 150 sitting around waiting for a home, and was wondering how the vertical would be with it. My other choice for this engine would be a Goldberg Sukhoi (but I'd have to build that airplane, and that could take years...for me, anyway).

I'd appreciate it if you can keep me informed on how your Ulty comes out, and the flight performance with the Saito 150. Also, if you find any good threads on building it, I'd like to know about them, too (if you don't mind).

Thank You,

Mark

P.S. - Were you going to go with the pull/pull for all the tail surfaces, or just the rudder?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:57 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Default Ulti/1.50

I am putting my blue one together right now. It looks GREAT!!!, I have a 20 oz tank and can't wait to break in the engine.. I have basically the same setups you have. I am going to put a 17-6 APC on it to start and see what she will do with 15%. Keep me up to date on how it flys with the 1.50
Jeff
Old 03-24-2003, 12:00 AM
nyrcpilot

My saito 150 will turn a 18x6 prop at 8800 rpm on the test stand with 30%, that is 23 lbs of thrust.

It also turns a 16x8 @ 9300, that is only 16 lbs of thrust , but more speed.

I am going to keep both props handy. I heard form another guy on rcu that apc makes a 17 x 7 prop, going to look for one of these, seems that would be the best compromise of speed and thrust.

using pull pull on both, I am addicted to pull pull..........just awesome!

go with 6v power! makes the seevos quicker too!

I had a cg sukhoi, used a satio 100 and a os 91fx......cool looking plane in the air....just a bear at low speeds!

the sukhoi is known for snaping out of manuvers and landings....careful with that plane.

I have owned 17 aerobatic planes in 2 years, the cg sukhoi was the hardest to handle at low speeds, I deemed it "non-3d able" and after a dead stick landing spin out it has been repaired and now hangs over my bar! never to fly again

Originally posted by deryckere
Hey lgodin,

I noticed that you were planning on using almost the exact same set-up as I was for your Ulty (except for the 6 volts...I was going to go with 4.8). I also have a Saito 150 sitting around waiting for a home, and was wondering how the vertical would be with it. My other choice for this engine would be a Goldberg Sukhoi (but I'd have to build that airplane, and that could take years...for me, anyway).

I'd appreciate it if you can keep me informed on how your Ulty comes out, and the flight performance with the Saito 150. Also, if you find any good threads on building it, I'd like to know about them, too (if you don't mind).

Thank You,

Mark

P.S. - Were you going to go with the pull/pull for all the tail surfaces, or just the rudder?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:55 AM
3D Romeo

Default Thanks for the heads-up lgodin!

Thanks lgodin!

You may have just saved me a couple years of building time, only to be disappointed with the finished product down the road! I bought the Sukhoi kit when Goldberg first released it, and it's been sitting in the basement ever since. Not many people were into 3D flying back then.

But once you 3D...there's no going back!

I originally was going to go with the 6 volts...but after talking with many people that compete in IMAC, and other aerobatic events, they told me if all my other R/C planes & equipment were 4.8 they would suggest staying with it. I was also told that most people wouldn't even notice the difference in the way the plane handles using 4.8 & 6 volts...except for the most demanding competitors (where even a minute edge could make a difference). Also, it would be one more thing to be conscious of when charging batteries, and I got enough to worry about already.

Another thing I was wondering about...are you hooking your pull/pull cables directly to your servo arms, or are you using bellcranks to take the load off of them?

I don't know if you ever checked out APC's 3D Prop page...but if you didn't, here it is:

http://www.apcprop.com/store/agora.c...uct=3D_Fun_Fly

Thanks again for the advice, and let us know as soon as you fly your Ulty!

Mark
Old 03-24-2003, 01:15 AM
nyrcpilot

Default Re: Thanks for the heads-up lgodin!

Don't get me wrong, the cg sukhoi flys pretty good, just not 3d....I see we think the same. One might try to build it lighter?!? Planes of late are coming in a lot lighter.

thanks for the link, still can't find the ellusive 17x7 prop

no bell cranks needed, my rudder servo puts out 160 + oz of tq ( at 6v of course )

As for charging, check out the mrc super brain charger from tower, has been a great charger.

I tried the new gp triton charger, sent it back. could not plug it in the wall and it was too demanding on the battery in the field box, the mrc is all I will ever need.

If you are still slow charging batteries.....it is worse than peak charging with this $49 charger, this charger can sense peak and shut off, I can charge my 2 2700 ma batteries in 78" extra in less than 45 minutes....at the field off my fb battery, I quick charge all my batteries, even the rx.....you should look into it.......FYI the first charge must be done on a slow charge, after that just peak them with this charger. Also if the packs go "flat" I peak them twice just to be sure.

I do notice a difference in speed on the 6v system, you do have to use a larger battery ( my smallest is 1300 ma ) because the 6v load drains a little faster, but it is all worth it.....I have a H9 pizazz that would not hold a knife edge, I put a 6v in it and with the extra power it does alpha knife and knifes all day!

battery help: check out www.rcfaq.com

Thanks lgodin!

You may have just saved me a couple years of building time, only to be disappointed with the finished product down the road! I bought the Sukhoi kit when Goldberg first released it, and it's been sitting in the basement ever since. Not many people were into 3D flying back then.

But once you 3D...there's no going back!

I originally was going to go with the 6 volts...but after talking with many people that compete in IMAC, and other aerobatic events, they told me if all my other R/C planes & equipment were 4.8 they would suggest staying with it. I was also told that most people wouldn't even notice the difference in the way the plane handles using 4.8 & 6 volts...except for the most demanding competitors (where even a minute edge could make a difference). Also, it would be one more thing to be conscious of when charging batteries, and I got enough to worry about already.

Another thing I was wondering about...are you hooking your pull/pull cables directly to your servo arms, or are you using bellcranks to take the load off of them?

I don't know if you ever checked out APC's 3D Prop page...but if you didn't, here it is:

http://www.apcprop.com/store/agora.c...uct=3D_Fun_Fly

Thanks again for the advice, and let us know as soon as you fly your Ulty!

Mark
Old 03-24-2003, 01:52 AM
3D Romeo

Thanks again!

I got the Triton...but maybe I'll pick up one of those MRC chargers for the field.

That site looks pretty cool, too!

...And I'm guessing if the 17x7 isn't on APC's own site, that it is just an urban legend...

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 03-24-2003, 02:41 AM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

Guys heres my set-up. YS 120 AC with APC 16-8. I plan on using pro-heli 30% fuel with a 16oz tank, and Dave Brown 3 1/2 inch spinner. As far as servos go I am using JR DS 811's on each alieron a 4721 on the rudder, a 8231 on the elevator and a Hitec HS 81 on the throttle. As far as the battery goes I plan on a Expert 1750Mah nmh. As for the receiver I am waiting on my JR 627xz to get back from Horizon. I am going to upgrade some of the hardware to Sullivan, such as the clevises control horns and use solder links instead of the nylon stuff that came with it. I am still waiting on the new ultra tail-wheel that was ordered from DP on 2-21 to get here. I can't wait to get this bird finished but I guess my U-Can- Do that took it's maiden flight today will have keep me happy til this one is finished.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:11 AM
3D Romeo

Default GP UCD!

I just got a GP UCD to pass the time until I figure out what I'm going to do, too!

I'm still not 100% on the Ulty yet...I've heard from many that Dave's Edge & Extra are both better for 3D. But they both require a bigger engine to fly with authority.

...So I'm going to keep hanging out here until I make up my mind.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Maudib

Default Re: GP UCD!

Well I spent several flights yesterday with the new setup...

160FX w/ Pitts muffler
Rudder servo in the tail
tiller arm setup for elevator

This thing HAULS!!!! Even with a fairly new engine (less than a gallon thru it) it has plenty of power.... Tho I'm really disappointed with the RedMax 20/20 I have to try with it... I'/m going to try out the Byron 15 that I've used alot in the past...

In either case... 3D? Man this thing will snap so violently that it's downright scary. Hovering "shouldn't be" too much problem (the engine is sputtering in midrange thanks to that RedMax) so I had a hardtime keeping power smooth.

At first I tought the rudder wouldn't have enough throw... but fou d it was WAY more than enough... it will probably do a knife edge loop.

I'll report more later and try and get some video when I have the Byron in it...

I just got a GP UCD to pass the time until I figure out what I'm going to do, too!

I'm still not 100% on the Ulty yet...I've heard from many that Dave's Edge & Extra are both better for 3D. But they both require a bigger engine to fly with authority.

...So I'm going to keep hanging out here until I make up my mind.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:43 PM
3D Romeo

Default Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update Mordib!

...Looking forward to hearing more on the flight performance of your Ulty. I'm not sure exactly how my Saito 150 compares to the OS 160 in power. But at least it gives me an Idea of what the plane is capable of.

Also, REALLY looking forward to seeing the videos!

People can say all they want about an engine or airplane...but you can't argue against a video.

Mark
Old 03-24-2003, 08:36 PM
nyrcpilot

Default bad news

just talked to my dealer, looks like the my dp ultimate is not shipping, inventory mistake on their part............

Had to order direct from dave, should be here middle of april.....sandy was great and very helpful on the phone.

FYI, dave is working on 2 new planes, 40% edge 540 will be at the toledo show, and 33% edge on the way after that. The 33% just got added to my "needs list"
Old 04-14-2003, 04:20 AM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

So what has been people's experience with the DP 120 and gas engines? I was looking at that RCS 1.40 and the specs looked alright, weighs about as much as the OS 1.60 and produces slightly less power, but its gas. I'd rather pay more up front then in the long run thats why I'm wondering about it.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:28 AM
locomotive

No one has been happy with a gas engine on this plane. Either not enough power or too heavy. The two engines most liked on the DP Ulty are the Saito 180 or the OS 160. I have a Saito 180 on mine and love it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:36 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

Yah, after doing some more reading it looks like the 160 is the way to go (don't want to go with all the cost associated with the Satio). Anybody try it with the suggested Moki 1.35?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:26 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i have used the rcs 1.4 and that was not enough os 160 is the best i have seen also did the satio 180 it was good the 160 is great low nitro and its still kicks butt....

http://members.cox.net/krayzc/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.