Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Which ARF for $100

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Which ARF for $100

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which ARF for $100

As an aside I went back and looked and yes, the Sukhoi is a Modeltech ARF. I also looked in my modeling room and I have two Magics I've been flying for the past 5yrs or so. One is gas and one is electric. They are also Modeltechs. So, I looked at a Hobby People ad and saw all the ARFs Modeltech makes. All of them that I've experienced at my flying field have been Excellent ARFs. Some of lightest, most well built sport flying ARFs I've ever seen. And... they are covered in Oracover... the SAME stuff as Ultracote.

I'm even more excited about the Sukhoi I just bought now. I'll take a Modeltech over a Phoenix anyday.

Mike
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 PM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: optech

As an aside I went back and looked and yes, the Sukhoi is a Modeltech ARF. I also looked in my modeling room and I have two Magics I've been flying for the past 5yrs or so. One is gas and one is electric. They are also Modeltechs. So, I looked at a Hobby People ad and saw all the ARFs Modeltech makes. All of them that I've experienced at my flying field have been Excellent ARFs. Some of lightest, most well built sport flying ARFs I've ever seen. And... they are covered in Oracover... the SAME stuff as Ultracote.

I'm even more excited about the Sukhoi I just bought now. I'll take a Modeltech over a Phoenix anyday.

Mike

was Oracover on the older models? my magic 3d is covered in monokote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:31 AM
horseman

Well,All these folks have some great ideas,I guess I'll put my 2bits in to I had a Super Chipmunck and that was a inexpensive arobat,it does pretty good 3D and flies strait and does great at high speed. Mine was a .40 but i'm kinda crazy so I put a O.S. .91 in with a.p.c.13x8prop
best cheap plane i ever had (don't let your friend crash it for you[&o]) so for $100 bucks give that a try I ordered another one Happy hunting.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM
IAMKAOS

those modeltechs i owned were quite some time ago. today at the flying site a flying buddy told me that those modeltech arfs had improved over the last few years. he has had a few of them and he also told me that were really not that bad. so i'm putting my foot in my mouth. i ordered the hobby people sukhoi. but he did agree with me about the sportsman avaition arfs. he did not care for them either. he too had a hot knife .40 . he told me that after several flights the wing ribs started coming loose in the wing.
ORIGINAL: optech

Russell,

The Sukhoi actually looks pretty good. The only major thing that I'll have do something about is the bellypan piece is not the same color white as the rest of the plane so I'll probably repaint it. Cheap ARF covering is cheap ARF covering. There are things you can do to mitigate the problem (see below) but, in the end, what do you expect for <$100. If it was any more I would buy it as there are other better ARFs for the money.

As for Phoenix.... yeah they look nice but they are the heaviest ARFs I've ever built. Which I don't understand because they fall apart after a few flights at the field. I'm in the middle of repairing a SeeBee that the landing gear fell out of after a few landings. The wood is crap and falls apart at the slightest touch. I wouldn't even call it plywood. Everybody at my field thats had a Phoenix ended up hating it and this SeeBee is the last one I will buy.

Back to the cheap covering. I've been building airplanes for about 30years now and the first thing I usually do with a new ARF is go over the seems with clear epoxy paint or similar. If there is alot of small trim I'll paint over it with clear paint to keep it from coming up. I reach in with brushes and clear varnish (solvent, not water base varnish) all exposed wood I can acess. I repaint firewalls with fuel proof paint or a coat of varnish. All stuff I do when building because fuel WILL get underneath. The problem is the ARFs do not get, or at all in some cases, enough fuel proofing. Fuel and oil leaks under the seams (espescially around firewalls, engine bays, and wing saddles) and "poof", the covering comes off. You can see these differances when builder brings an ARF to the field and an ARFer brings an ARF to the field. Spend a little more time with the ARF and the coverings last just fine.

Mike
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 AM
optech

I don't think I've ever built a Sportsman Aviation ARF, or even seen one at the field, so I can't comment on them. So far I think the Sukhoi is going to be a nice flier. Other than the belly pan (and of course the cheap ARF hardware) I don't see anything wrong. I pulled the belly pan out of the plastic and it is really off color from the rest of the plane. However, the plane is covered and the pan is painted fiberglass so I guess I can't hold them too responsible considering the cost. I will have to repaint it though. Its just too noticable for me.... even for its intended "beater-to-fly-while-I-build" role.

"was Oracover on the older models? my magic 3d is covered in monokote "

Skinman,
Must be because I do notice they are advertising them with Monokote now. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxes for them anymore so I can't tell for sure. I will say on the older one, when I've had to fix a mishap the covering sure doesn't act like Monokote. "How old do you ask??" That Magic is one of the first original batch with the lighter one piece wing. This Sukhoi I just bought must be an Oracover bird because it doesn't have the Monokote advertisement on it.

Mike
Old 09-26-2006, 06:47 AM
skiman762

Could be the magic has been out for awhile now
nothing wrong with either covering it's better then some of the cheap stuff some arf's are using now that peels every flight
and it sure is fun to fly
if I build another I'm going to make a bigger vertical stab and bigger elevators to see if it will knife edge and do better outside stuff
still if you don't mind the looks it is a great fun fly for 99 bucks sometimes they go on sale for 79
Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

you HAVE to get the Fliton Extra Mini for this price range ($109.99). It is the best quality ARF I have seen in this class and the performance is so solid, it makes me fly like a pro. I only have 15 months on the sticks too. The covering scheme looks really nice too in the air, unlike some of these other traditional "oldskool" ones. My buddy had the eflite edge mini and it doesnt even come close. Goodluck...
Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
aspectratio

Hi Mike,
I was wondering how you liked your Hobby People Sukhoi? I was thinking of getting one because I like Sukhois, but I do not like the color scheme on the Phoenix- one of the problems with ARFs! Aso I hear the Phoenix is heavy. How did your plane fly? Did the covering hold up?
Joe
Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
IAMKAOS

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOBBY PEOPLE SUKHOI. IT IS A VERY OLD ARF MADE BY MODELTECH. WHEN MINE ARRIVED THE BOX LOOKED LIKE IT WAS A 100 YEARS OLD. IT HAS 4 PLASTIC LOUVERS THAT THEY RECOMMEND YOU INSTALL ON THE COWLING. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SOME NEAT CUTTING ON THE COWL. . THEN THEY RECOMMEND YOU CUT OUT EACH OF THE SLOTS WITH A EXACT-O KNIFE ON EACH LOUVER FOR ENGINE COOLING. NOT A FUN JOB."DON'T DO THIS WITH A EXCAT-O KNIFE".ON MINE THE PLASTIC WAS HARD AND TOOK A LOT PRESSURE ON THE KNIFE TO CUT THRU THE PLASTIC.I USED A DREMEL TOOL TO SAVE MY FINGERS. IT HAS LARGE VERTICAL FIN AND SOMEWHAT A SHORT FUSELAGE WITHOUT THE COWL. THE COWLING MAKES THE FUSE LOOK LONGER.. ON A CALM DAY MINE FLYS ALRIGHT. BUT IF THERE IS 10 TO 15 MPH WIND MINE YAWS HORIZONTALY LIKE ITS SIDE SLIPPING LEFT TO RIGHT,RIGHT TO LEFT. ON A CALM DAY IT DOES NOT DO THIS. I ALSO OWNED THE PHOENIX SUHKOI. IT FLEW MUCH BETTER. BUT THE PHOENIX SUHKOI DOES NOT LIKE MEDIUM TO SLOW TIGHT TURNS. SHE WILL SNAP OUT. . THE PHOENIX IS EASIER TO ASSEMBLE.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
gmeyer-RCU

I have not tried it but the FONG 3D 40 from AK Models for 69.99 might fit the bill
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

The phoneix FUNSTAR i've got sound like what you're after. i've got a magnum 52 on it.
Goldberg EXTREME profiles are also sweet...as far as profiles go, i've seen a mojo and i think it takes the cake.

i had a Magic Extra,, it flew great but the covering turned into streamers pretty quick,, i think now they use monocote.
it's very thin in the wing saddle area, and you almost have to beef it up... but i think it's a really cool plane you may like,,
it has that thick fun fly wing, but a long, thin fuse that helps it to pattern (sport) really well..

the twist is cool, but its moment is too short.. kinda squirrly.. (don't hate me twist fans!)

one thing about a $99 ARF... you gotta fly it like you stole it!!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

A good 3D/Sport ARF for less than $125?

Model Tech 3Demon
Model Tech Magic
Seagull Models Harrier .46
Goldberg Wildstick/Hotstick .40
Phoenix Models Funstar 3D
VMar Easy 3D
CMPro 3D Giles-202 .40

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
ccameselle

I had this plane and it was the best 3d machine that I ever had it was great. I had an OS 46la on it and it was great. Did I said that it was great? well it was the greatest.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBGB0&P=ML]magic 3d[/link]