Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kyosho AT-6 Texan

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kyosho AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kyosho AT-6 Texan

I thought i would pass this along. Most of the regulars here know My WM P-51 went in a few weks back. Since i have a couple other larger ones, thought i would get something else. My choice was the AT-6 Texan. Dilemma was GP or Kyosho.
*Price was an issue, not that i could not pay for it but justifying $274 for a .40 size Arf when GP has a similar plane for $160. GP is a normal built up Arf, wood etc. Kyosho however is a Gel coated fiberglass fuselage, foam sheeted wings and such.
* I am about 1/3 of the way through this thing and this Kyosho is one nice plane. No problems with anything at all. Everything seems to just work. i did not like the size of the fuel tank, so i had to modify the mount but even that went okay.
*Hardware is the same as most arfs. Some is useable and some is junk. I am going to try and get the WM P51 retracts to work. if not Hobbicos are fine. i have them in several other planes. Also going to use the G90 that was in the plane.
* I still have a problem with the price though. When i bought it a few weeks ago, it was on sale for $163, so it was a no brainer. GP was at around $160. It is now back up around $200. Towers regular price is $274. Although this seems to be a top notch plane, it is not worth $274 but highly worth $200.
* If you can get one for under $200, it would be worth it.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Big Daddy-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the Kyosho ARF kits are nice!
I`m putting together the Kyosho Spitfire 40.
I always like the AT-6 and was about to get the GP one before I seen and got the spitfire.
I wanted to know,is the covering on the Kyosho AT-6 sticky back paper or Monokote type covering??
Old 01-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

It does look like a nice plane. Very tempting!

I have one ARF (OV-10) in the final stages, one Kit (TF Bonanza) partially completed (better stated, mostly uncompleted), and a Lanier F4 ARF in the box unstarted, but I'm still looking at the AT-6 like I gotta get it.

I have a few questions.
What engine are you planning to use? What is the G90 you referred to in your message? What retracts do they recommend?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I overpower all my planes. One reason is altitude, the other is i feel like it. I had the ST G90 in my .40 size WM P-51. it was great all last spring, summer and fall. Right before Christmas I was going around to land and the plane just shut off.
Possible lose battery wire and it went in around 100mph. Engine came out okay an going to use it in this texan. Fits real good too. I changed the tankmount a bit to accomodate a larger fuel tank. That G90 has been very reliable and with that 12/9 apc will pull it great.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:51 AM
outsideloop2

Default CHECK THE CG!

I built one of these. it took almost 1.5 pounds in the cowl to balance it. I was using a Magnum .61 It flies like a brick . inverted flight is almost nonexistent. I thought maybe it was a fluke with this kit so i bought a second kyosho at-6 same thing.very tail heavy!! I think its something with the fiberglass molding being incorrect. I have a os 70 i might try in it.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default CG?

Wow O-Loop, are you sure of the cg point? With a Supertigre .61/Pitts I needed about 6 ounces. I ended up using a Harry Higley heavy prop nut which put 3.5 oz way out front and my 1400 mah pack plus another ounce of lead at the firewall. Flies great!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:35 AM
outsideloop2

Default Reply to Vinnie about cg

Hey Vinnie, Shame on you for disregarding Kyoshos power requirements,with that .61 2 stoker lol just kidding. Regarding your reply it sounds like my OS .70fs will work fine. I have the cg set @ exactly what it calls for...90mm from leading edge. This was set with a GP cg machine. Vinnie, as a matter of fact our set ups are only five oz. apart. Granted thats still alot of weight,but not as far off as it sounds. Your super tiger .61 weighs in @ 26.7 oz. with your added 6oz for a total of 32.7 oz. near the front. Now i have a Magnum .61 4 stoker w/ stock muffler which weighs in @ 15.5oz. with the muffler. added to my two .5 lb. lead ingots zip tied to the engine mount,a GP heavy brass spinner @ 2.5 oz and an additional three strips of gp stick on lead weight @ 1oz each for a grand total of 37oz. in the cowl. Thats only 4.3 oz different. I know in the .40 size aircraft world thats alot. but not as much as you may think! I have a standard sanyo 600mah flat nicad pack zip tied to the front of the servo tray and the futaba 7 channel Rx on the rear of the tray. Since you have already pioneered a larger than specified engine in this plane I think i might try my OS .70 fs up front as far as i can get it. Then try and some how get the batt. pack and RX up above the fuel tank. There is plenty of room up there but I'm not sure how im going to get them to stay there with out touching the tank and with out poking more holes in the fuse. Although mine flys like crap, it certainly is a gorgeous craft. I would love to get this thing flyin' correctly. Oh yeah and i have hobbico mech. retracts and a low pro. hobbico servo,but where they are located shoud only help keep the cg forward. So it seems that maybe all of the Kyosho at6's are manufactured incorrectly. I thought about swiss cheesing the rear of the fuse and then monocoting it. Anyway thanks for the reply Vinnie.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:02 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Well Loopster, I thought a .40 for a plane of this size and weight was ridiculous. And I'm surprised that the ST weighs so much more than the Magnum, almost twice as much. Let me say that the .61 might be the ideal engine for this plane. Performance is adequate if not spectacular. But a .40, no way.

My battery pack is vertical, against the firewall and under the tank (as viewed from the bottom). I wedged a block of styrofoam between it and the front of the servo tray to keep it from moving aft. The receiver is inside the ply servo tray assembly. The CG is just under 95mm and performance is quite stable. I believe that the 90mm called for is quite conservative.

Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:36 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Today I went up to Sante Fe to goof off with the family. Went into a Mall. Wandered into a Bookstore and found a WWII Warbird book. I finally found a colored picture of this Kyosho Texan. I have seen many scenarios but could never find an actual picture of the Silver/Red and yellow.
*It had #98 on it. I took a healthy look at this picture and I can safely say the Kyosho version is darn near as scale as you can get. It mad the Great Planes version look like a Sport Scale. Ias just a happy man.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48631_8393.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	29041  
Old 03-30-2003, 09:54 PM
carrellh

My brother had this plane and with an OS91 Four-Stroke it took a 1 ounce washer, brass jam nut and heavy brass crown nut to balance it. Kyosho told him by email the gelcoat must have been slightly thick in the tail area; and with the short nose it takes a lot to offset any extra weight at the back.

The plane flew great, but was heavy and hard to land. He crashed it on takeoff when it went into a tip stall. We think he didn't have it at full throttle, because that 91 could just about lift it out of your hands when holding the nose up.

The fiberglass near the firewall is crunched and there is a huge hole where the wing bolt mount ripped out. Now he wishes he'd bought a backup when it was $163