Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

Old 02-11-2002, 03:23 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gp Pitts I Got One--see The Pics

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com
Old 02-11-2002, 03:40 AM
cappy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aaaahhh thanks... that was probably the only address I DIDNT try.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:49 AM
johnathan

Default Saw it tonight looks very nice

Just seen on of these GP Pitts that a friend got yesterday.
Took him four months but judging from the looks of the plane he did well.
I cant belive the quality of this ARF just the spinner has to cost around $130.00 if bought alone. The building and all of the joints look very profesional. All seem to be a perfect fit.
Seems the only problem was the clear coat on the nose cowl must have been wet when packed. He belives this will polish out.
For the size this seems so light. Very nice you wont be dissapointed at this price its a great bargin no pun intended. John
Old 02-11-2002, 07:24 PM
jeteffx
My Feedback: (2)

I've got one........got it 2 weeks ago from Roy's in Hurst Tx. I plan on using the ZDZ small twin.......what do ya think.......Perry
Old 02-13-2002, 05:45 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

My first choice of engines was the ZDZ 44 twin, however it is 1/2 inch wider than the cowl and weighs about a pound more than the 40 and if I remember correctly the power is close to being the same.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:18 AM
JERRY L

WOW this G.P pitts sonds hot. a lot of take about engines that can be used. i have brison 2.4 from my dead 540 edge may it RIP. what do guys about useing in G.P pitts
Old 02-16-2002, 02:24 AM
sicko69

what about a super tiger 3250 2c with a 20/10 on it
Old 02-18-2002, 07:43 PM
AJF 2

Well it happened-- I read too much from bpryor-- the ZDZ 40 is going on my Decathalon and I ordered my Taurus 52 from Southgate. Just wish they were a little cheaper--oh well-no need to get cheap now!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:14 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Just kidding

Hi AJF 2,

I was just kidding, I've never even seen a Taurus before.

Now I'm just kidding. Make sure and report back here with the results of this matchup. I think it will be an excellent one. I only wish I had one with the same setup.

Bill
Old 02-18-2002, 11:49 PM
S. Miller
My Feedback: (34)

Default Great Planes Pitts

I myself have purchased one of the Great Plane Pitts. I must admit
that its probally the best ARF that I have ever seen. Everything went together perfectly, no sanding was needed. There were
only a few problems that I came across. The flying wire that they gave you frays apart after its been cut. Go to you local fishing bait shop and buy 15 lb. steel leader cable. Works much better and will fit into all the Great planes hardware. I installed a Fox 3.2
in mine and it came out at 17 lbs. I placed my servos in the tail
installing two for the elevators and two for the rudder. I also used
4 in the airlerons. I read the other forum that advised about the spinner flying apart, so I will change mine before the first flight.
I also read about the gear. Mine does not seem to be that flexible.
So if you are think about purchasing one Go for it its a beautiful
ARF A heck of a lot better that some of Hanger 9 stuff.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:53 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Still on Order!!

As stated earlier in this thread., I too have one on order fro LHS, they say GP shows nothing of them being in stock??? Waiting!!
S. Miller, glad to hear you like yours, let us know how she flies. Can you go into more detail on what sevos you used etc... is the slots for servo in the rear or did you have to modify yourself, also 4 servos on wing, was there slots provided or you cut your own?? Really interested, wouldn't be asking all these ??? if I had mine to look/work on.
Thanks
RORO
PS I hope to have mine done and ready to go for Muncie Festival!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:52 AM
S. Miller

RORO,
All the required holes are already cut out in the plane for the servos. All that needs to be done by you is to cut away the covering. There is a sheet of instructions that come with the plane that show some updates on what they did, so make sure that you find it. They have nice control horns that come with the kit for all control surfaces. But using two rudder servos you will be
short one horn. I replaced 4 horns with 1/4 scale Dubro horns
and used them on the ailerons. You can drill holes through the ailerons with a drill press ( to keep holes straight) to apply the horns. In the instruction updated sheet they tell you how to install hardwood blocks in each aileron so you dont have the top of the horn showing. I used this method it was pretty easy, cut away covering, cut out the aileron wood, epoxy in hard wood block sand down and recover, makes it look alot better. I used
JR 507 servos in all 4 ailerons, Hitec 605 bb for the elevator halves
and the rudder. I also used 2 1400 mil amp packs that were placed rear of the gas tanks to balance the plane. The only question that I had is I have never built a plane without epoxying
fiberglass tape around the wing halves. The instruction do not call for this to be done. If they did it would ruin the covering job.
The plane does have heafty braces that put the wings together.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:59 AM
S. Miller

RORO.
I really dont think you will be disapointed when you get your plane. Its really a nice ARF, and the covering job was fantastic. I even had extra hardware that I did not use. You will not believe the paint job on the cowl and wheel pants, Out of sight. I'm really
excited about flying the plane to see how it goes, But its kind of cold up here by Lake Michigan and I would like to shake about how the plane flys and not the cold. If I can be of anymore help just let me know
Old 02-19-2002, 04:11 AM
wildthng

To much drag for a 160.I like the 160 very much but this is a big plane and it would not do it justice.A big moki would make it howl but it would also drain your fuel budget.I was just looking at the pitts at a hobby shop in Oshgosh and wanted it but my biggest engine is a os 160 so i opted to buy an h9 edge to match my engine because i don,t have 3 to 400 bucks rite now to spend on an engine.It sure is a nice built arf and if i can come up with the rite engine for it i will get one in the future.The covering and finish was flawless.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:37 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default THANKS S. MILLER

Thanks for the reply, can not wait to hear how yours flies! And the rest that have them ready, And or me getting mine. Have most $$ saved back for all that is needed, just need plane. Plus decision on power, ZDZ???
Old 02-19-2002, 11:10 PM
rbeck
My Feedback: (6)

Default LHS

WHO IS LHS???

RICK
Old 02-19-2002, 11:11 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

local hobby shop
Old 02-19-2002, 11:26 PM
rbeck

Default LHS

DUH!!!!!! Sorry about that. None of my locals have it yet. I've ordered one from Tower, I might get it this year. Thanks for the quick response.

Rick
Old 02-20-2002, 12:54 AM
rbeck

Default GP Pitts / G-45

What is the general opinion of a G-45 in the Pitts. Not enough power, Too heavy, A slug??? I want to know if I should start shopping for something different.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Old 02-20-2002, 02:13 AM
S. Miller

Rick,
I'm sure that the G45 would have enough to fly the plane with no problem. As far as the weight of that motor I have no idea.
I used a Fox 3.2 in mine and that motor weight was 3.4 lbs. I placed 4 servos in the tail of my Pitts and had to place the ignition battery and flight pack right behind the fuel tank to balance. The plane balances very nice with this set up.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:23 AM
rbeck

Default G-45

The G-45 weighs 4.6 lbs, Which is a bit heavier than yours. I'm thinking of converting to ch ignition which will cut down on some of the weight. I'm not looking for a rocket ship, I just want a large Pitts that flies nice.

Thanks for your quick response!

Rick
Old 02-20-2002, 07:24 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Howzabout ???

Owzabout a BGX on gas and ignition ?
Old 02-20-2002, 07:51 PM
S. Miller

Default BGX 1

Edge,
My very first choise of motors was a Super Tigre 4500 that I have
laying around. In the instruction manuel they tell you that they tested the plane with a Super Tigre 4500. The instruction manuel tells you that from the front of the motor box to the front of the prop hub shatf has to be 6 1/2 inches for the cowl to fit. Well on the 4500 if you use the motor box on the plane it come out to about 7 1/2 inches. I was not cutting the motor box off to use that motor. So I purchased a Fox 3.2. I called and talked to
some Techicnal people about the problem with the super tigre.
and they could not answer the question due to them not even having or seen one of the kits as of yet. So I installed the Fox motor with no problems. The BGX 1 I'm sure will yank it around
good. Just depends on how much you want to cut out of the plane if its to long to fit.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:13 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got mine in today, a really nice kit..

Now, where did I lay that G-62?

Has anyone flow this with a 3.2 yet? That would give about a 1.5 thrust ratio. The BME 50, gives about that much also..
Old 02-22-2002, 03:53 AM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Nice Plane

My dad just picked up a Pitts today. WOW its big next to my 1/4 scale Cap. My 3 year old son is sitting on the side of it. Nice Plane.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3588_2759.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2332  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.