Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM
min$2crash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pheonix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

THAT looks like a 4 stroke muffler extension that may actually just stay on, Wrangler!
One neat advantage of brass is that its thermal expansion is closer to aluminum than, for example steel.
As a result you will have less retightening to do. You might also consider some JB Weld between the brass and aluminum to control vibration/loosening- but only if it crops up.
Good Job. Hope the added nose weight is favorable... what, 1/2 oz for that coupling?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Wrangler1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, thanks for your comments. Yes, the. Coupling weights almost 1/2 oz . I will do some engine test to see how it works and if it get loose.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM
ameyam

While trying to laterally balance the model I had a curious problem. Firstly cotton twine I had was not strong enough to lift the airplane's weight, so I used thicker rope typically found in pyjamas at the waist (dont know what that is called in english). With one end tied on the engine hub and one of the tailwheel, I lifted so as to form a approx rectangle. in this position, which ever wing is lower begins to fall. Having difficulty in doing this alone, I asked my mom for help and problem is same. Problem is also to get either side moving, there is a lot of rolling resistance

My problem is further compounded by the 91SII making the airplane tail heavy and heavy to the clkinder side. Since I dont have any lead weights left, I used some m-seal putty and a couple of m10 bolts to weigh the nose down. Since my LiFe battery is already at the tank bulkhead, no scope to move that and these are also all my lightest parts to keep the total weight down. Again, I had to put half of the weight on the opposite side to the cylinder to laterally balance, finding out how much to put to that side (between the tank and side sheeting just behind the firewall) was a real problem. Anyway, did what I could, the maiden is tomorrow. I am going to have an experienced flier both review my setup and then take her up. Have put 10% expos just to ensure that the airplane doesnt shake when I do

Wish me luck- first time with a scale-3d airplane I setup myself. Will get pics after the maiden (hopefully in one piece)- will let me test my superzoom camera

Ameyam
Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM
woodycubamo

Maidened my Pheonix Extra today. What a great plane. I built the plane light. Came in at 7 lbs even. I powered the plane with a GMS .76. The CG is right on 120mm. I did the lateral check and wound up tapeing 2 quarters out on the end of the left wing on the bottom. After taxi tests and flight control checks I taxied out to the end of the runway, slowly applied power and was airborne in about 100 ft. She climbed straight out I made a nice easy left hand turn. Winds were about 8mph, perfect for a 1st flight. Hands off flight only required one click of left aileron. Elevator was perfect. I installed a larger tank so 8 to 10 minute flights are possible. Shot a couple of approaches to get the feel of the plane and then landed her, the landing was uneventful. I really like the fact that she flies exactly where you point her. If you build her light she will fly very slow. I flew her with 50% expo, low rates at 60% and high rates at 100%. I do not fly 3D, just like to do nice aerobatics. Loops and rolls were majestic. Overall, I am super happy with this plane.
Woody
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 AM
min$2crash

Hey, Ameyam,I hope that it is not too late... wth the time change and all, two things regarding lateral balance:
1: if your crankshaft (propellor shaft) is near centerline, you can use that as one pivot with the engine rotated to a "free", and pinch the tail fin just above the fuselage~40-60mm
for lateral balance. This will be close enough for most flying.
2: Maynardrupp had a great suggestion back about 15-25months ago..? Use a screw-eye on the belly of the plane where you want the CG and hang the whole plane upside down from that point.
This plane needed some reinforcement there in order to support the screw eye, because the balsa is so thin.

Good luck on the Maiden Flight either way...!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 AM
ameyam

I maidened this airplane today. Though I had spent a good amount of time testing it, I had made acouple of mistakes

1) The ailerons were the other way round
2) I had positive expos on the TX whereas negative expos (on Futaba) make it easier to fly.

Both of these were cought by the experienced flier who maidened her. First we had to give a lot of right trim to make her stop rolling left. After landing we noticed that one of the elevators was not aligned. Also he commented it was a bit tail heavy. So I put the larger 3200mAh LiFe (had 1300mAh earlier) and opened and turned the clevis out to align the elevator. On the next flight after a couple of circuits he felt it was sufficiently stable and gave me the TX. I was quite surprised how easy the Extra flies as compared to the Reactor 46. In the same winds the Reactor was a handful but the Extra goes where you point. With the FS91SII I have always noticed that airplanes land very softly, just a click of power is needed. No tendencies to tipstall, atleast in sports mode. I am yet to 3D her. I was really worried that it would fly as if on a banana peel, thankfully that did not happen.

In the first flight the engine was running very rich, so nearly WOT but in the second I noticed that with the engine tuned, I was able to maintain and gain altitude even at 50% running a 14x6. Anyone with moderate low wing experience should be able to fly this easily on this setup restricted to pattern (loops, rolls, inverted). I even moved to the manual specified throws (triple rates on aileron and elevator- mid rates are as per manual) on the second flight itself

Had three flights, brought her down easy, enjoyed thoroughly after a long time. Deep sense of satisfaction that I used to feel at the end of the day when I was still flying trainers Engine still has idle issues though, will resolve them later. Happily, does not deadstick

Pics attached. Airplane is till "naked", will install the decals and trims after I clean and iron again (3rd time). You can surely see the wrinkling the sun has caused, all the seams have recessed, I even got sun burns- so hot it was today. Pictures taken with my N82 though

Ameyam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca80685.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1616312   Click image for larger version

Name:	db85942.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	674.9 KB
ID:	1616313   Click image for larger version

Name:	wt58938.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	802.0 KB
ID:	1616314  
Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you had fun with it. I am planning my first one for thursday hopefully. I still have to break in my webra 120 first though. Just got fuel for it yesterday. Running it with 10% nitro and 18 castor unless someone has a better idea?\
Dave
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM
min$2crash

Congratulations to woodycubamo and ameyam for successful maidens that may have even been simultaneous!
(I forget which way the date line thing goes)
It is a great feeling to get a new ship flying and trimmed in.
If the OS four stroke is anything like a Saito, be patient with the idle.
It takes a few tanks of break-in (10?) before the idle is reliable.
Just fly, fly, fly for now and enjoy the heck out of this plane. Its a really fun sport flier that dabbles in 3D just fine once balanced and trimmed out.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 AM
woodycubamo

I decided to adjust the idle on mine while at home today and discovered the throttle trim was inop on my throttle servo,so, guess I will replace the servo. Just a minor inconvienance. Man I like this plane.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
ameyam

Mine is an older engine i.e. it was on another airplane and running well off & on for 6 months now. Still, I do have problems with idle, I will sort it later. It doesnt deadstick once I go through taking it to full throttle once. Running 14x6 MAS. Will fly it as is if nothing happens for now

Ameyam
Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
markhamregular

Default RE: Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

I am planning to buy that Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90. I like to test a plane in my sim. Anybody knows a good file I can download that really fly like this plane?

I have a Real Flight 5.5. I tried on Knife Edge swap files but could not find a good one the size of this plane. I am planning to put a 75 OS on it.

Thanks,

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM
ameyam

I looked for a long time for it. There is none. You meed to take the decision blindly but you wont regret it

Ameyam
Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 AM
dmoody19

Ameyam is right this is a great plane. I mean just look at this thread.... 69 pages om this one plane covering years of discussions and suggestions on how to make it even better. If the plane were junk this thread wouldn't exist. It is a great plane that will work with engines from .60 to more than 1.20 like I did. Just depends on what you want the plane to do..... For around 150 bucks you can't beat it.....
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM
markhamregular

I have no doubt it’s a great plane. However, some people like fast planes, others like slower ones or like other characteristics. When I tried the different ones on the sim, some of the 330S are heavy and slow, others are fast. Some would roll fast, others would roll slow like a trainer. So, it’s difficult for me to find out how this plane would fly with my 75. This is why I asked the question. I cannot wait to start flying it and I know I will get it for Father’s Day. I just wanted to start on the sim earlier.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM
dmoody19

lol I am getting the b-25 from top flite for fathers day :-) With the 75 you would get enough power for minor 3d, lots of pattern etc but not enough to hang the plane and verticals would be short if enough. Many use at least a 95 but I went with a webra 1.20 partly because I had it or a 15 cc gas engine here to choose from.. I want to learn the heavy duty 3d moves though and I also like speed. The webra is a great solid engine even if they went out of business last year due to markets and costs. My plane will hang forever and vertical is pretty much unlimited. The plane is fast for the type but of course it was not designed for pylon racing etc...... Have a great fathers day The 330's on my real flight 5.5 and also phoenix sims are slower than this one is. in this case I found it interesting that the real plane flew better than the sim. Many times it is the opposite.... Have a blast!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM
vita-40

is anybody using the hanger 9 tango with electric power.If so what is the set up?
thanks vita-40
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
dmoody19

Wrong thread for that This is all phoenix 330S....
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 AM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

2 questions regarding landing and tail gears on the 330S

I love my 330S (O.S. 1.20 and a 16x6 prop - CRAZY pull!!)

But have 2 questions:

I am looking to replace my stock tail gear - Does anyone have a good solid recommendation for a replacement tail gear – my stock one is very old and no spring is left in the gear.

I also HATE the stock landing gear so I modified a DuBro landing gear and that works ok, but it pretty short and with the 16 inch prop, I sometimes put the prop into the ground.. well you know what happens J  -  But has anyone found a carbon fiber landing gear that would give me a little more height than the stock gear??

Thanks for the feedback-  Great plane I am still learning how to fly it, but LOVE it!!

Bob

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
reaaz

Hi, Bob, I don't know about the tail gear as I don't care to much about if the tail bounces or not (stock is fine for me) but I have gotten the hobby king " 20carbon fiber landing gear (20cc size) " & that will fit good, however its height is 135mm so you may not get enough clearance for a 16 prop. But still a nice carbon gear, VERY light compared to the stock! Maybe take a look at HK's similar 28cc gear definitely enough clearance!!
By the way, looking to find carbon tube 19mm to replace the heavy stock one, any ideas guys?

You know I'm still flying it like a pattern ship (lowish rates) man is it a fast one with a ys 91ac.. wondering how it will manage when I flip it to max possible rates. Landings are fast & long with this engine/prop setup
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
ameyam

Tail LG- try tower. We have a local one called Anderson that is much stiffer, I will use that

Main LG- use larger wheels. We are using 3.5" rubber wheels and a 18x6 prop

Ameyam
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Tower is now listing the Phoenix Extra 330 as "discontinued". That's a bummer. Still enjoying mine, now on season three.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
reaaz

yup, there goes the era of flying ARF planes that aren't priced skyhigh like heli's. Back to building kits if you can!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 PM
sailpret

I just bought a NIB Phoenix 330s from my LHS, not knowing they were being discontinued. I guess I better take good care of it. It may become a collector's item soon!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: sailpret

I just bought a NIB Phoenix 330s from my LHS, not knowing they were being discontinued. I guess I better take good care of it. It may become a collector's item soon!
Just because tower marks it as discontinued doesn't really necessarily mean the mfg stopped. Just means they stop selling it. They did the same with Airtronics SD-10G but Ibought one from Hobby People months later and they are still going strong................. I hope they will be available for a lng time to come. I love mine now that I finally have the break in time done on the Webra 120 I put in it. Just an all around nice plane. Just needs reinforced on the servo tray, gear etc. A little extra epoxy and glass here and they are wonderful.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
ameyam

I agree that is a bummer. But why does it surprise you

http://phoenixmodel.com/Default.aspx..._detail&id=317

In the meantime, I can pickup some spares while they are available. I will need a longer cowl, any thing else you suggest- wings may be?

Ameyam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.