Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
stevo revo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Hey all! I just finished a re-kit of my extra. I lost the first one to what I believe to be a switch failure.

Had the new one up for the maiden already, and it went well. I really love how this plane flies. I don't think there's anything else out there in this size range that beats the bang for the buck factor.

Just thought I'd post a few pics of the new kit. I tried to give it a more scale look. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28788.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	999746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38335.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	999747   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26944.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	999748  
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Crashtruk

and enjoy I did. How did you smoke your canopy like that?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
stevo revo

ORIGINAL: Crashtruk

and enjoy I did. How did you smoke your canopy like that?
Glad you liked it!

I actually used the old canopy to test, and it worked. I just used lexan rc car paint, and fogged it from the inside. I was able to reuse the trim tape that held on the canopy. Turned out a little darker than I wanted. It was hard to keep it from being blotchy. I think airbrush would have produced the best results though.

I wanted to still be able to see the pilot figure, but unless you have almost direct sunlight beind it, you can't. Oh well!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
68SCode

Hello all, new to the board, so far I luv it! Anyways, I am seriously considering getting this plane and I have a question concerning engine selection. My budget will only allow me to use engines I have laying around. The biggest I have is a S.T. G75 that hauled around a 10 pound P-51 quite nicely. I am not into the 3D thing (no skills), so I like to do the more scale-like acro stuff. I would like to attempt the accasional high altitude hover though. Do any of you think a 75 would work for this type of flying?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
stevo revo

ORIGINAL: 68SCode

Hello all, new to the board, so far I luv it! Anyways, I am seriously considering getting this plane and I have a question concerning engine selection. My budget will only allow me to use engines I have laying around. The biggest I have is a S.T. G75 that hauled around a 10 pound P-51 quite nicely. I am not into the 3D thing (no skills), so I like to do the more scale-like acro stuff. I would like to attempt the accasional high altitude hover though. Do any of you think a 75 would work for this type of flying?

Thanks for any replies.

I think your 75 would tow it around nicely, but I think a hover may be a little to much to ask. You might get one with a very low pitch, it's hard to say. You should be able to do good aerobatics though, remember this model is a 60-90, so you're right in the middle.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
68SCode

Thanks. I am also considering the Graupner and the Kangke. Any opinions or suggestions there?

I really like the look of the Graupner, but cost is a concern (especially if I HAVE to buy a 90 later )
Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 PM
mikeyflight3

I have the Phoenix with an OS 75 AX, plenty of power, flies great with 14x6 Zinger.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 AM
nicov1978

Hi everyone,

I am installing an OS 91 Surpass Engine (so 4-stroke) and have a question about this operation: Do I have to trust the way they factory-mounted the engine mount and so do i have to trust the down and right thrust angles they gave, or do some of you modified these angles?

I think the anti-torque angle they gave should be OK and intend to keep it but I don't really see a down thrust angle... Do you think I should modified it?

I have a second question about the way of fixing the cowl: they indicate that the cowl should be fixed by wood screws but the problem is that they screw through a 2-3 balsa wood wall and screwing/unscrewing them 2-3 times will be sufficient to destroy the thread...
How would you advice to fix the cowl?

I thank you a lot in advance.

Nicolas
Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Bernard
My Feedback: (1)

I always use some CA to toughen up the screw hole. Put the screw in take it out, drip some thin CA in and let it set. This should make it pretty strong.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
nicov1978

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your answer.

I did it with some epoxy glue: I inserted epoxy glue into the hole, put the screw in. When dry (ie after glue had set), I unscrewed and the glue blowed... Perhaps epoxy glue is not adapted for such a thing?
Do you think it would not do so with CA?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Bernard

Thin CA absorbs into the grain of the wood and makes it hard as a rock.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Bernard

The other thing with screwing in the cowl. Drill the cowl so that it is bigger than the screw. screw in the screw with some fuel tubing between the cowl and the head of the screw. This way the cowl hole has the tubing between the it and the screw. The tubing will absorb the vibration otherwise the hole can enlarge because of the screw rubbing against it.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM
heffingtond

I put an ST 75 on mine and it has plenty of power. Flew it Sunday for the first time. I'm not much on 3D either, so I haven't done the hover manuver. It appears to have plenty of power to hover though. This is a really nice model. Great covering and well constructed all-around.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

Does somebody know the size (in ccm) of the original fuel tank supplied in the box?

Nicolas
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 PM
manish

hi guys this is manish i have open a rc store in new delhi (221, patparganj industrial area) please contact +91 9811374534.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
FAST-J

Hey guy's, I too am new at this 3-d stuff and have one question i hope someone can help me with. I can't seem to make it hang on the prop, all it want's to do is climb (yes to much throttle) or it wants to fall off and it's very unstable, can't seem to find that inbetween sweet spot. My question is, would it be better to have it more tale heavy to hover? running a JBA 91 w/zinger 14x6 prop @10500 rpm.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
stevo revo

ORIGINAL: FAST-J

Hey guy's, I too am new at this 3-d stuff and have one question i hope someone can help me with. I can't seem to make it hang on the prop, all it want's to do is climb (yes to much throttle) or it wants to fall off and it's very unstable, can't seem to find that inbetween sweet spot. My question is, would it be better to have it more tale heavy to hover? running a JBA 91 w/zinger 14x6 prop @10500 rpm.
It sounds to me like you are dealing with 2 problems. One is cg realated. It is hard to hover a nose heavy plane. The nose always wants to fall out. Set the cg as rearward as you can comfortably fly it.

Second is PRACTICE!!!! If you have a sim, use it!!!!!!!!!!! It helped me tons.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 AM
nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

I maidened my Extra this week-end! Very nice, it flies very well!

Before flying this model I was flying a Calmato Sport; I was afraid flying such a plane immediatly after the Calmato would be a too high step, but actually, sure the Extra is much heavier, but the wing area is bigger so the wing load remains acceptable and the plane thus keeps acceptable reaction!

Unfortunately, I installed a OS 4-Stroke 91 Surpass and those of you who know this engine will know that the air input at carburator is upside-down... As the engine is mounted upside down in the plane, fuel enters the fuselage by the hole that is manufacture-made in the firewall... so I got aware of the fact that already at non-negligable quantity of fuel had entered the fuselage!!

As it is really not accessible by the fuselage inside, i have been obliged to open the top of the fuselage just behind the cowl, to dry inside and absorb fuel (thanks to talc)...

So i will have to re-shut the top, and stick oracover again...

And that is the subject of my message: Could someone tell me the exact reference of the blue Oracover (if it is oracover and not orastick) and red oracover used on this plane??
It would help me a lot, because I would like to order on the web without going to a shop and if I don't know the reference I will have to go all the same...

Nicolas
Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
stevo revo

ORIGINAL: nicov1978

Hi Everyone,

I maidened my Extra this week-end! Very nice, it flies very well!

Before flying this model I was flying a Calmato Sport; I was afraid flying such a plane immediatly after the Calmato would be a too high step, but actually, sure the Extra is much heavier, but the wing area is bigger so the wing load remains acceptable and the plane thus keeps acceptable reaction!

Unfortunately, I installed a OS 4-Stroke 91 Surpass and those of you who know this engine will know that the air input at carburator is upside-down... As the engine is mounted upside down in the plane, fuel enters the fuselage by the hole that is manufacture-made in the firewall... so I got aware of the fact that already at non-negligable quantity of fuel had entered the fuselage!!

As it is really not accessible by the fuselage inside, i have been obliged to open the top of the fuselage just behind the cowl, to dry inside and absorb fuel (thanks to talc)...

So i will have to re-shut the top, and stick oracover again...

And that is the subject of my message: Could someone tell me the exact reference of the blue Oracover (if it is oracover and not orastick) and red oracover used on this plane??
It would help me a lot, because I would like to order on the web without going to a shop and if I don't know the reference I will have to go all the same...

Nicolas

I used adhesive monokote trim sheets on mine to add some striping. It was a very close match. I looked on tower's site, and it seems that royal blue is the color of the sheet I used. The other blues are too far off. So in light of this I think royal blue monokote would work if you'd like to go that route. Link...........

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHV39&P=7
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
chuck993

I have 2 O.S. 91 Four strokes, excellent engine, no problems, not sure what you did...
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM
stevo revo

Oh....................and hobby-lobby sells oracover if you're interested
Old 09-17-2008, 03:23 AM
nicov1978

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your answers.

Chuck993, the engine is working perfectly, this is only the way it is mounted on the plane that is problem...

For those who are interested: I wrote to Phoenix Model directly and they gave me the references of the ORACOVER FILM they used for this plane.

Blue: item code 21.050
Red: item code 21.023

It can be helpfull I think.

Have a good day,

Nicolas
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
k3sui
My Feedback: (13)

Hi everyone ... I am just putting one of these together, now. I'm using a SAITO 125 in it. I've the engine mounted at the end of the engine rails and am only 5 1/16 from the firewall to my drive washer. It looks as if this is much too short for the cowl ... even though it is clost to what the manual wants. How far from the firewall are yours? Did everyone go by the book??

Also, the pull-pull hardware does not have a threaded rod long enough to put all the hardware on and still go through the rudder. If I put the hardware on the screw ... it fills it up [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]!!

Other than those small problems, this seems to be a very nice kit.

All the very best ...

Barry in WV
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
stevo revo

ORIGINAL: k3sui

Hi everyone ... I am just putting one of these together, now. I'm using a SAITO 125 in it. I've the engine mounted at the end of the engine rails and am only 5 1/16 from the firewall to my drive washer. It looks as if this is much too short for the cowl ... even though it is clost to what the manual wants. How far from the firewall are yours? Did everyone go by the book??

Also, the pull-pull hardware does not have a threaded rod long enough to put all the hardware on and still go through the rudder. If I put the hardware on the screw ... it fills it up [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]!!

Other than those small problems, this seems to be a very nice kit.

All the very best ...

Barry in WV
The rudder screw goes like this........ there's one long screw that's different length than the other 4 long ones. Use that one, and the very shortest screw from the other side. Basically the long screw goes from one side thru to the aluminum hub on the other side. Then the short screw holds the plastic horn on the other side. Loctite and maybe a little ca on the horns so things arent spinnin all over the place on ya!!!! Your saito 1.25 should work great in this plane.!!! Oh and the cowl has ALOT of overlap onto the fuse. Dont worry, it will be fine. Just be prepared for the stripes not to line up. I've had 2 of these and neither one lined up.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM
k3sui
My Feedback: (13)

Tnx, Steve. I've put a few ARF's together but that pull-pull tail had me going. I though that the cowl had a great deal of over lap. I have found lots of errors and omissions in the manuals of these ARF's and thought the measurements might be one of those. I guess that the translation does not go well! I have also noticed that the build of the planes will change during the production life of the model. ! In any event, it is good to know that I am on the right track.

This is, actually, quite a nice kit. If it flys anything like it looks, it will be a winner. It is superior to some of the more expensive brands of ARF's I have put together.

All the very best, and thanks again!!

All the very best ...

Barry in WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.